PDA

View Full Version : I'm mad.

motornerd
04-12-2018, 06:57 PM
I just put the world's ugliest windshield on my bike, and it works great. Had a Honda tall when i bought it, tried a Wind Bender, looked good but couldn't make it work. Got a 14" Taka Recurve, looked good with very little buffeting. Just replaced a 16" Clearview with a vent, looked great but slightly more buffeting than the Taka. Installed a ------- 13" in under an hour and took it for a test ride in 30 mph crosswords. NO BUFFETING AT ALL. Started at 60 degrees, all the way down, good. Set it to 47 degrees, thought it would look better raked back, still good. Didn't like the gap at the bottom so set it to 55 degrees, looks slightly better. I think I could set it up to 70 degrees and it still would work. I hope I get used to how it looks because I have never had such a calm cockpit on any motorcycle with any other windshield. Rats. And great.

terryboyle
04-12-2018, 07:11 PM
how about a photo?

motornerd
04-12-2018, 07:16 PM
https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipNCSN41abZuVdxPa-1T-9TF6GXR0CU1eIL8FK_4v_OVaZUBOlOJO5ktN0htpgs2AA?key= dEZ6akZMQk1NSzh0YkxVYnFEajRual9TdnV1c0l3

motornerd
04-12-2018, 07:19 PM
https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipP1dA6ckISIpdyCW8vD9x6X4-Xodbi5uu9q5mH_UzUjjqOa8jDkc6ztD-pyGDwgug/photo/AF1QipOmxcl7tA3LQzjQH4pZtEbQIxNshH_pO0Bu56MP?key=V 2pZMmVMd095YmNCdl92YUhjc0gtR3RJMzNMUUdB

edgeman55
04-12-2018, 07:42 PM
The more you ride behind it the prettier it gets.I too waited three years to put one on only because I could not get over it's looks but hot dang it is the best windshield I have ever been behind-dead calm air.

willtill
04-12-2018, 08:00 PM
Ah yes.. the agonizing search for the perfect windshield on the F6B. Many have gone before you; in the same manner and effort, burning voluminous amounts of cash, while in search of this holy grail of motorcycle windshields.

I feel your pain

As many other here.

Welcome to the M.A.D.S.T.A.D experience :039:

BuzzzPhotos
04-12-2018, 09:46 PM
I've had my M.A.D... on for a few years & I love the look now. I rode up to Durant, Ok today in hellacious winds & was amazed how well it handles the gusts. I also went thru 3 shields to find the right one. Still happy!

tenxxx
04-13-2018, 10:57 AM
Any shield that lets air in at the bottom will work good. Even one with a vent partially open will help. The air up the back side is what does it.
Blows the buffeting wind up over your head. But I still get wind buffeting my back side. I guess a trunk would fix that.

ths61
04-13-2018, 12:26 PM
On the bright side, you can always cut up your old windshields and use them as safety shields for your shop equipment. :cool:

------- should get a "Utility over Fashion" motto like Crossbreed. "The Ugliest, most comfortable holster you will ever wear".

STRaider
04-15-2018, 07:15 PM
I just put the world's ugliest windshield on my bike, and it works great. Had a Honda tall when i bought it, tried a Wind Bender, looked good but couldn't make it work. Got a 14" Taka Recurve, looked good with very little buffeting. Just replaced a 16" Clearview with a vent, looked great but slightly more buffeting than the Taka. Installed a ------- 13" in under an hour and took it for a test ride in 30 mph crosswords. NO BUFFETING AT ALL. Started at 60 degrees, all the way down, good. Set it to 47 degrees, thought it would look better raked back, still good. Didn't like the gap at the bottom so set it to 55 degrees, looks slightly better. I think I could set it up to 70 degrees and it still would work. I hope I get used to how it looks because I have never had such a calm cockpit on any motorcycle with any other windshield. Rats. And great.

I'm happy to hear this. I have a 17" on the way. I hope I have as good of results. I got the 17" because I often sit on an air hawk cushion on long trips, and it raise me up some. I'm 6'3" and even with a tall Honda shield with a vent I still get some buffeting at the top of my head without the cushion.

choptop
04-17-2018, 07:00 AM
Mine came w/a small aftermarket windshield, a wee bit bigger than stock, loved the look but when I started getting into long rides I wanted something that wasn't going to let me get beat to death on the freeway, hated the look at first but now I love the funky look.

opas ride
04-17-2018, 11:03 AM
Maybe I don't understand "buffeting" as some have issues with this. I have an adjustable Baggershield, set to the maximum height, on my F6B and have no wind noise of any kind...Super quiet and looks great on the bike..I rode a friends bike last summer with the Mastad on his 6 and it was nice but did not seem any better than the one on my bike....But as they say, "Too each his own"....Ride safe

jm21ddd15
04-17-2018, 05:15 PM
Sometimes, buffeting can be caused by the helmet you have on. I have 6 helmets, and they all they all handle the wind slightly different. Don't blame ALL the buffeting on the windshield, without trying out different helmets. Some windshields and helmets, seem to work great together, and some, not so.

edgeman55
04-17-2018, 06:18 PM
Maybe I don't understand "buffeting" as some have issues with this. I have an adjustable Baggershield, set to the maximum height, on my F6B and have no wind noise of any kind...Super quiet and looks great on the bike..I rode a friends bike last summer with the Mastad on his 6 and it was nice but did not seem any better than the one on my bike....But as they say, "Too each his own"....Ride safe

I had the 19" Baggershield for three years on my bike and I got buffeting and wind noise through the sides of my 3/4 helmet-if I opened the vent it helped some but not near perfect.15" ------- set at 55 degrees and it is putting me in a pocket of dead air with a shield that is lower then the Baggershield was.Your friends ------- may of been set for him and not for you unless you were both identical in proportion.------- has a lot of adjustments to fit the rider it is front of.And your right to each his own and it's the ------- for me!

53driver
04-18-2018, 08:25 PM
Isleen loves her "Upset-Stad" 11" and so do I.

ths61
04-18-2018, 10:23 PM
Isleen loves her "Upset-Stad" 11" and so do I.

:lolup::lolup::lolup:

Jim W
04-30-2018, 11:27 AM
Where do i buy..mad

Jim W
04-30-2018, 11:36 AM
Is that the dark tint you bought?

motornerd
04-30-2018, 07:46 PM
They call it dark gray. Not the darkest one. I can still see thru it at night where my lights illuminate.

OlyF6B
04-30-2018, 08:07 PM

But... function trumps fashion!

pap52
04-30-2018, 10:05 PM
Ordered a 15" light gray a few days ago. I hope "they who shall not be named" is as good as all you guys say. Can't wait till it gets here so I can see for myself. Have a 19” Slipstreamer touring shield on now, a bit too big and ugly. Bought it in a hurry right after I got the F6B last May, was taking my first weekend trip and could not tolerate the stock shield. Buffeting pretty bad with my full helmet, not as bad with the 1/2 helmet. But like I said it's big, ugly and at 6'2", I have to look through it. Been waiting a year and researching opinions on line before choosing the M**s**d. Thanks to all who bought all the other windshield brands and posted opinions.

soupbean
05-01-2018, 04:04 AM
motornerd, I like the looks of the shield.. not too tall and the dark tint looks good on the white “B”. I do think with the styling of the ”B”, a shorter shield looks better. Functionality is key, if it works, it works.
I want your seat..! color insert and all... What kind of seat is it? Also, did the backrest come with it..?

motornerd
05-01-2018, 05:56 AM
Ultimate seat. I took the standard deluxe backrest off. The seat has two removable back rests.

nairb6868
06-21-2018, 12:21 PM
I bought a ------- a year ago and loved it until it rained. It seemed like the gap between the two shields funneled a lot (I mean A LOT) of water straight into my face. Has anyone else had this happen? Did I have it adjusted wrong? I sent an email to ------- asking what angle would be best for rain but never heard back from them.

ReserveBum
06-23-2018, 07:58 AM
I bought a ------- a year ago and loved it until it rained. It seemed like the gap between the two shields funneled a lot (I mean A LOT) of water straight into my face. Has anyone else had this happen? Did I have it adjusted wrong? I sent an email to ------- asking what angle would be best for rain but never heard back from them.

must be something with your adjustment. Mines been on for four years now and never had that issue

VStarRider
06-27-2018, 05:53 PM
must be something with your adjustment. Mines been on for four years now and never had that issue

Same here, never had that issue. All the rain and road spray ends up on top of my helmet, which drips down into my crotch, but that's not the fault of the Ragestad.

Verismo
06-27-2018, 06:41 PM
Ragestad.

::lolup::

ReserveBum
06-29-2018, 07:46 AM
I must have missed the issue with MStad....not sure what the deal is here.

Frye
07-04-2018, 10:46 AM
Does this shield cut down on the passenger's buffeting also?