PDA

View Full Version : Talk me into, or out of, DCT please

STRaider
04-18-2018, 03:24 PM
I would love to hear some pros and cons of this. I have a good deal on a barely used on close by, and just curious about this DCT.

2wheelsforme
04-18-2018, 04:46 PM
I would sure have to wonder why someone traded in an almost new bike. I read somewhere about a new Owner having a problem that could not be fixed to His satisfaction so they made Him a good offer on a trade for a manual and He took it. Now I have to wonder who will get the auto they failed to make perfect. I would love to try/own one of the new DCTs.

STRaider
04-18-2018, 04:55 PM
I would sure have to wonder why someone traded in an almost new bike. I read somewhere about a new Owner having a problem that could not be fixed to His satisfaction so they made Him a good offer on a trade for a manual and He took it. Now I have to wonder who will get the auto they failed to make perfect. I would love to try/own one of the new DCTs.

They also have a lightly used manual. I can see this new Goldwing not appealing to the traditional goldwing crowd. Both traded in their 2018's for 2017's. Seperate deals, totally unrelated. I have not ridden one yet, but sitting on them reminds me more of an ST than a Goldwing. The luggage being quite a bit smaller could be a factor. I am almost more tempted in a lightly used 2015-2017 than the new one myself...if I were to make a move. I love the F6B so much, I'm just not sure I want to do anything at all. It's always fun to go look, though.

53driver
04-18-2018, 08:14 PM
Rode the DCT Full Wing at Daytona Bike Week.
The performance in Sport Mode was simply amazing. However, you better have a VERY well trained throttle hand, calibrated to microns, not millimeters.
The other 3 modes? Meh.
I don't like the 2018 functionally for lack of fuel and lack of storage. Aesthetically, I don't like the jagged edges over the nice body flow that Isleen has.
Plus, Isleen already has a the Traxxion Mega Monty, Upset-Stad windshield, Corbin Smuggler, etc and doing that all for another bike just seemed silly.
Plus, Isleen only has 73,500 - she's just getting comfy with her lot in life!
Cheers,
Steve

ths61
04-18-2018, 10:25 PM
1st production year. Nuff said (unless you want to pay for beta testing).

soupbean
04-19-2018, 04:36 AM
Exactly as stated by 53driver, the dct definitely has a learning curve. I remember the test ride on my VFR, it was so different but fell in love with it right from the start. You don’t have the clutch to help you apply throttle smoothly and disengage drive when braking. Along with not having a foot shift lever and clutch lever, you need to retrain your right hand for very smooth application of throttle. It’s just very different. You won’t get the full feel for a dct taking one test ride.
I would suggest taking several test rides and in between going back and riding your standard shift bike over a period of time. Each time reflecting on how you like the dct. I love my “6” , but I do miss riding my now sold dct VFR.

STRaider
04-19-2018, 06:32 AM
Thanks Soupbean. Did you miss the clutch on the vfr? It sounds like one of those deals where you didn't know what you had until it was gone? What are the advantages of not having to shift? Did you wish you had a manual while on the vfr? I really didn't start out thinking about the DCT, but the idea is intriguing.

edgeman55
04-19-2018, 02:25 PM
I rode one last week and was impressed with the DCT tranny.Once I stopped reaching for the clutch handle that is.Very sedate in tour mode and lots of fun in sport.Plus the feel from the front end was really nice.That being said it did feel small-more sport bike feel and the bags are much smaller for sure.When I got back on my 13 F6B I realized the 18 was not for me as the F6B feels perfect under my big behind.I will have the Traxxion mega monty done and a RDL saddle soon so I figure 4 grand or so in the current ride sure beats 15 grand to upgrade to the 18 model.Which ever way you go ENJOY!

soupbean
04-19-2018, 06:32 PM
Well, as far as missing the clutch.. I would say no. The VFR was essentially a sport bike, I thought of it more as a grand touring sport bike. So when you were at a stop light or stopped in traffic you couldn’t pull the clutch and blip the throttle of this marvelously engined bike. So other than that, no. On that note, heavy traffic and stoplights suck riding a standard shift bike after you’ve been on a dct bike. The Honda dct shifts so smoothly and accurately, it’s really just incredible letting the dct do its mechanical and electronic thing. A human being literally cannot shift as smoothly and quickly. The VFR had quite a motor in it, 1,237cc V-4 with 95 ft lb and 170 hp. But it weighed 650 lbs , so I wouldn’t really call it a sport bike with sport bike quickness. From a dead stop, side by side, I could take anything off the line. Didn’t matter if it was a car or bike. That was due to the dct, just twist the throttle to lock and instant time warp. CBR 600’s and the like would pull ahead after reaching triple digits because of the weight advantage, but they couldn’t out shift me.
I owned that bike for about seven years, so I knew exactly what I had and it put a huge smile on my face ever time I rode it. Just needed to get rid of it and my NT to get the “b” , don’t regret it a bit.
When, not if, I get the new goldwing it’ll be a dct. I’m 53 now, really don’t need to pull up to stoplights and rev my engine anymore.

STRaider
04-19-2018, 06:47 PM
Good stuff. It's academic now the DCT I was looking at sold last night. But if I do end up with one of the new Goldwings, I am seriously considering the DCT. I would love to continue to hear comments pro and con.

Jimmytee
04-19-2018, 07:38 PM
I'm still waiting to test ride the DCT, but with some of the short comings being noted about the new GPS etc... I will probably be waiting for a while before buying something new. I'm planning on test riding a BMW this weekend. Still, probably be waiting.

Patch
04-19-2018, 11:35 PM
I owned a Honda NM4 which was DCT only. It was my first jump into road riding after having been a dirt guy for the better part of 38 years, then taking a 5 year hiatus from riding altogether. I missed the clutch for about two days before I got use to the DCT. Once I moved up to the F6B, I actually missed having the DCT because it just seemed easier. Throttle response and shift response in sport mode was fantastic. After recently jumping on the new Goldwing Tour for some demo riding, the DCT hasn't lost it's vigor and it felt better, with an extra gear in there to boot. I gotta say, for the commute to work and back in heavy traffic, a DCT is, hands down, a much nicer thing to have. For riding in the country and long distance, it's just a nice thing not to have to deal with. I love my F6B though, even though I got a used 2013 without cruise control.

Of the several riders local (8 now) that have the new 2018s, they all seem to have something they don't like as much, but the DCT isn't on their list of cons...and all but one bought the DCT model, even though two stated back in December they would "NEVER" own a bike without a manual, both of them are hooked. I think Honda nailed it with their DCT models. Mode changing for conditions is really nice too.

Cali261
04-21-2018, 12:42 PM
Revzilla article regarding the suspension on the new Wing. Some of the comments in regards to the article are interesting and offer some points to ponder.

https://www.revzilla.com/common-tread/does-the-new-gold-wing-have-a-big-problem

dadeo
04-21-2018, 09:20 PM
I had a 2006 Yamaha FJR-1300 with electric shift and I also had a 2009 and a 2013 650 Burgman cause the 09 got hit by a car. I wanted to ditch the clutch when I was having troubles with left hand after I broke my wrist. All three bike transmissions had flaws. I grew to HATE not having the clutch to feather and control these bikes at low speed, especially the FJR. Gear shifting on the FJR was exactly the same as on a manual bike, but with no clutching. I HATED riding this bike at slow speeds in traffic because the bike would automatically shift down to first and then "hold" it in gear until I shifted it up. It sounds great until the thing shifts to first when you haven't quite stopped. The Burgies had a manual mode (electric shift with no clutch) and an automatic mode. Supposedly Suzuki had made major changes in 2013 to deal with complaints like mine with the transmission. I didn't notice much difference between them. My complaints: In automatic mode the bike "coasted" away from a stop on a downhill slope, then it would suddenly engage "first" gear when you applied any throttle and no matter the speed. This resulted in sudden jerking and skidding of the rear wheel on low traction surfaces. The only way to get the bike to avoid this behavior when starting down a hill was to switch it to "manual" mode manually, then put it into first, then shift to second. This sounds like a small thing... but it kind of made the automatic transmission less than useful when you live in and like to ride in the mountains and have to deal with gravel. And pushing the Burgies around the garage was a bear. The tranny always seemed to have some drag engaged... whether it was running or not. With both the FJR and Burgies there was no ability to feather the throttle when riding at low speeds-- really an issue when you are in a tight parking area and the engines were still revving high when they are still warming up.

So unless Honda has solved these issues... no DCT for me.

soupbean
04-22-2018, 06:01 AM
The Honda dual clutch transmission is a whole different animal than the Yamaha, Burgman or a centrifugal setup. You really just need to ride one to judge it for yourself. As stated, slow speed maneuvers are totally different. You use very gentle throttle and rear brake at walking speeds. You need to relearn how to ride a motorcycle in certain situations.., it took me quite a while to use dct at its full potential. After you are aquatinted with it, overall it does make riding more relaxing and less stressful. That, and as I stated before, it really is amazing what Honda R&D has done with this transmission.

willtill
04-22-2018, 06:29 AM
Revzilla article regarding the suspension on the new Wing. Some of the comments in regards to the article are interesting and offer some points to ponder.

https://www.revzilla.com/common-tread/does-the-new-gold-wing-have-a-big-problem

That's a very good article. Thanks for posting it.

Alberta Beagle
04-25-2018, 06:49 PM
I think Honda has done their testing. 10 years ago you may have had an argument.
No reason to be afraid of technology.
The new bike is head and shoulder above the old wing. I've owned a 2013 and a 2016 so I speak from a position of experience.

Beagle

ghost
04-25-2018, 08:13 PM
I like the DCT, but maybe I'm a little nostalgic and wary of adapting to it right away. I still feel like go fast cars are best with manual transmissions, even if the auto transmission can shift faster and smoother. Really, shouldn't a corvette have a manual transmission? The same with motorcycles. There are so few of us that even know how to drive a vehicle with a manual transmission these days. I think we'll have lost a little something when the next generation of cyclists won't know how to use a clutch-- and will think its crazy that previous generations had to shift gears with their foot! :(

Motorn
04-25-2018, 09:08 PM
I currently own a 2010 Vfr 1200 DCT. I think this is amazing technology. I normally ride in manual mode, which means I shift it up and down. Your still in control of the shifts, but you hit the buttons instead.Sport mode is a lot of fun when riding aggressively. The shifting is lightening quick. I seldom use drive mode. Although it’s handy in slow traffic.
If you have an opportunity to ride a DCT, try it. It changed the way I look at riding.
With that said, I’m in the market for a F6b. I need something with more comfort now. Plus it’s a beautiful bike, important
If I could afford it, I would buy the new wing with DCT.

jellybean
04-25-2018, 09:58 PM
After 3000 Km on the tour DCT this is what I feel: the engine is not quiet and smooth as the B, the wind shield help with the buffing on your helmet but not on the side because of smaller fairing.
I have Mustang seat and lowering kit on the B , with the tour DCT I felt like I am on it not like in the bike like the B. The plus from the tour is easy to corner , you don't get tired when stuck in rush hour traffic. The PLUS for me is the walking mode; with the inseam challenge like me. And with all the bells and whistle build in.

JB

Jimmytee
04-26-2018, 03:33 AM
After 3000 Km on the tour DCT this is what I feel: the engine is not quiet and smooth as the B, the wind shield help with the buffing on your helmet but not on the side because of smaller fairing.
I have Mustang seat and lowering kit on the B , with the tour DCT I felt like I am on it not like in the bike like the B. The plus from the tour is easy to corner , you don't get tired when stuck in rush hour traffic. The PLUS for me is the walking mode; with the inseam challenge like me. And with all the bells and whistle build in.

JB

I just rode the 6 spd last Saturday. Not far though. It was a short loop.I'd guess 4-5 miles at most. Not really far enough to get a good feel. He said as soon as the DCT was available ,he'd (salesman) call and he'd arrange a longer test ride. I got back on my B,which is heavily accessorized and customized and just thought, other than the cool feature of the electronic windshield, I'm not missing anything. The DCT might change my mind.:rolleyes:

I rode from there and test rode a BMW K1600B for over 60 miles and got into some twisties. That was fun. Definitely some performance aspects that left me with some desire, but it wasn't nearly as comfortable as my B . Of course,I've done a lot to make my B comfy, like Helibars, all different suspension, Corbin seat and back rests etc...

STRaider
04-26-2018, 09:45 PM
I like the DCT, but maybe I'm a little nostalgic and wary of adapting to it right away. I still feel like go fast cars are best with manual transmissions, even if the auto transmission can shift faster and smoother. Really, shouldn't a corvette have a manual transmission? The same with motorcycles. There are so few of us that even know how to drive a vehicle with a manual transmission these days. I think we'll have lost a little something when the next generation of cyclists won't know how to use a clutch-- and will think its crazy that previous generations had to shift gears with their foot! :(

I get your point, but on the same line, I don't miss having to kick start a bike. I think the technology advancements can enhance riding.:cheers:

dadeo
04-27-2018, 04:17 PM
, slow speed maneuvers are totally different. You use very gentle throttle and rear brake at walking speeds. You need to relearn how to ride a motorcycle in certain situations.., it took me quite a while to use dct at its full potential. After you are acquainted with it, overall it does make riding more relaxing and less stressful..

I agree that I had to relearn how to ride a motorcycle at walking speeds. I never got the hang of it. As for the rest, lets just say that I was tired of using the rear brake to deal with the lack of clutch action, and learned not to trust the transmission on any of these bikes to do anything predictable when starting on a downhill slope. I did like riding the Burgman in city traffic more than any other bike I've ever owned. But I don't ride much in the city any more.

d-shark
10-10-2018, 02:36 PM
I've got about 2,000 miles on my Goldwing DCT and have never look back. The DCT really is amazing. After you get some miles under your belt, you really start to appreciate how much extra mental capacity is available for scanning traffic and just enjoying the ride.

I don't find the 2018 throttle all that Twitchy. My F6B had a much more sensitive throttle at low speed which warranted being on the clutch during all low speed maneuvers just in case. I've not had any problems with the 2018.

With the DCT you don't have to apply much braking before it starts to down-shift in front of you to provide engine braking. The more brake you apply, the faster it down-shifts. If I have my feet out on the Highway Pegs, I can just give it some Front Brake and it will start down-shifting to slow the bike down.

Compared to my former 2013 F6B (which I loved) the 2018 rides much smoother at speed and low speed ground handling is much better. Slow tight turns in the parking lot are a breeze, bike never feels like it wants to fall off to the left or right.

Blk6bgg6
10-10-2018, 07:17 PM
I really appreciate the info on DCT.I have and still contemplating the new wing and the DCT is what I would buy.Especially like what you say of slow and parking lot speeds .

STRaider
10-13-2018, 03:39 PM
I finally rode a new Wing with DCT, and loved it. I didn't think I would. The shifting is fast and smooth. Leaving stop lights and signs is fast and effortless. I got used to it really fast, and enjoyed how well it shifted and how easy it was to ride. The price point is the only obstacle for me. I would chane to/ride one in a heartbeat, just not willing to spend that money right now. When I do, it will be a DCT.