PDA

View Full Version : The BEST accessory so far

MichaelG
05-08-2013, 12:08 AM
Okay, it is my job to assist in rebuilding this forum, so here goes.

Thee BEST accessory that I have bought so far for this new bike, is the Kuryakyn GranTraveler bag, pictures below. it can be found on WingStuff.com, and I love everything about this bag. It fits perfectly on the back seat area, is extremely well made, serves as a backrest for the rider, and can mount/dismount in seconds.

smokinjoe187
05-08-2013, 02:24 AM
sweet!!!
wait so all the silly questions are gone now??
and all the my black paint sucks are gone????
we get to start all over!!!

Alberta Beagle
05-08-2013, 07:02 AM
Thanks for this Miles. Ordering one today!!!
One concern is the clips may cause a little havoc with the paint the way you have it installed.

MichaelG
05-08-2013, 07:53 AM
One concern is the clips may cause a little havoc with the paint the way you have it installed.

Beagle, I think that the way I have it mounted, the clips will not be a problem for the paint, but one or two of the quick disconnect buckles "may" possible chafe the paint...dependent upon how the bag rides on the back seat area. I feel comfortable with how it is mounted, and...while most of us have concerns with the ODD-quality of how this bike was painted (and I will be calling Honda on this)...I do not sweat the very minor issues if a buckle makes a very small mar in my paint, as long as it was caused by a very functional item. Given the choice, I would rather have this Kuryakyn bag mounted where it is, than to worry about the buckle touching the paint a little. I will keep an eye on it, and let you know. A person could mount it differently, and not have this issue. For me...this is what I like.

Yesterday I did a dry run of dismounting and then remounting the entire bag from and to the bike, and I found that I can take the bag off the bike in 13 seconds, and remount it to the bike in 21 seconds. That is fast enough in my books.

ghostrider
05-08-2013, 08:02 AM
That looks like a nice bag miles. I have purchased a seat bag from areosticth called the Motto Fiz. It's also very good quality and mounts easily, has tons of room and is very versatile. I mix in camping with hotelling so it should work excellent for storage for all my crap and it has straps and cords to attach sleeping pads or tents to it. I'll have to post some pics when I take some mounted to the bike. They have three sizes, small, med and large. I bought the large and even expanded it fits well on the bike and will also be a good backrest.

MichaelG
05-08-2013, 08:09 AM
Ghostrider, it must be this bag: http://www.aerostich.com/bags/seat-bags-and-tail-bags/seat-and-rack-bags/motofizz-camping-seat-bags-large.html

That looks good, and very functional, but....does it come with its' own valet to take the bag up to your room for you ? The kuryakyn bag does ( ha ha ha)

ghostrider
05-08-2013, 08:40 AM
Yes, that is the bag. Thanks for posting the link. Wow!!, no it doesn't. haha. I should of read the fine print I guess.

TCC
05-09-2013, 06:22 PM
The Kuryakyn 4143 tombstone bag has a built in backrest, three backrest sizes to choose from.

Put on some tie down brackets on the seat posts to save your paint. http://www.texascyclechrome.com/tiedownbracketsgl1800.aspx

Steve 0080
05-09-2013, 09:48 PM
I usually make two - three trips per year that require more that what my saddle bags can carry...when I do need more clothing I use UPS...On our Rune Rally some folks show up with what looks like a refrigerator tied to the back of their bike....way to much for me. I just roll in with my little bag on the back of my
Rune holding a shield, gloves and sun glasses...I let UPS carry the heavy stuff...

MichaelG
05-10-2013, 10:10 AM

Beagle, as a follow-up to our previous discussion about chafing the paint with the strapping buckles...I just did the ride down to Redding, Cal to have my seat done by Rick Mayer, and while there I needed to remove the new Kuryakyn bag to get at the seat. When the bag was off...NO marks in the paint...at all. I could see where one of the buckles had rubbed onto the top of one of the passenger grab rails, but...the grab rail is 93.14159 times harder than the plastic buckle, so I simply swiped my hand across the grab rail, wiped off the residue of the buckle, and it looked like new.

Again, I am quite happy with the new Kuryakyn GranTraveler bag. It serves all of my needs, and includes a valet to take it up to my room for me. (that was a joke)
It mounts very quickly, and dismounts even quicker.

Remember if you order one of these...ALL the straps you need are included with this bag. There is NO need to order the additional mounting strapping kit.

Alberta Beagle
05-10-2013, 06:34 PM
Thanks for the update sharing your experience with the bag Miles.

Mine is on order and should arrive next week.

gamersince1976
05-16-2013, 04:51 AM
Just a heads-up:

It looks like you can get a slightly better price on Amazon for this bag, if you're so inclined.

http://www.amazon.com/Kuryakyn-GranTraveler-Bag-Black-4149/dp/B000RGWWOE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1368697518&sr=8-1&keywords=grantraveler

av8rdave
05-16-2013, 10:58 AM
But I think I'll try to limit the size. I never had saddlebags on my Roadie, so for long trips I used a T-Bag to pack everything. They are wonderful bags, bu I hated having all that weight up so high. Maybe that's less of an issue on the F6B, since it has a much lower CG to begin with.

Since my long trips will all be one up, I think I can fit all my junk in the saddlebags. I just want one small bag for the rear seat and/or rear rack to carry lightweight "need right now" things - rain gear, bike cover, spare gloves, face shield, etc. I'm starting out with the Oglio Stealth tail bag. http://www.amazon.com/Ogio-Tail-Bag-Stealth/dp/B0035JLODK It looks like that will mount in either place.

If it turns out I need more space, I'll keep the Oglio on the rear rack and add something bigger (like that Gran Tour) for the passenger seat.

MichaelG
05-26-2013, 09:59 AM
As a follow up on the report of this Kuryakyn Gran Traveler bag, I just thought that since I just finished that 5100 miles ride from Seattle to Tennessee and back, I would let you know what I thought of this bag.

LOVE it...Love it...and...I love it.

It was more storage than I could have imagined I would find for the back of this bike. I did utilize ALL of the extra pockets and bags that attach to the main bag. I stuffed the side pockets with road food...granola bars, beef jerkey, etc, that could easily be reached while going down the road. The main bag expands nicely if you want to really stuff it full.

The bag never failed me. I was 100 % impressed with it, and it is a keeper for this bike. It comes off in seconds, and remounts in seconds. I did end up using a very large real sheepskin to place between the bike and the bag, to ward off any chafing, and that helps. There are a couple marring marks on the bike, but I can live with that, for what this bag provides.