PDA

View Full Version : USB CABLE INSTALL IN GLOVE BOX

KenSk8Man
11-10-2013, 10:38 AM
Took some time out to run a USB cable from the saddlebag to the glovebox. For the life of me, I cant understand why Honda Engineers would put the ipod/iphone/mp3 input in a locked saddlebag. Anyway, I spent a little extra ($20) for a shielded USB Cable with gold plated connectors from Radio Shack. Bought the 10' one because they had no 6' one's in stock. Bought a grommet kit from Harbor Freight for $3.99. I removed the backrest, seat, side panel, and glovebox and drilled a 3/4" hole. Snaked the cable (male end first) along the frame and into a similarly drilled hole in the saddlebag. On the inside top of the saddlebag, there's a cover with 8 screws. Once you remove this, access to the wires and a clean area to drill is granted. I plugged the new USB into the existing receptacle, tucked the wires up neatly and put the cover back in place. I contemplated leaving the USB accessible, but for the life of me, I couldn't come up with one good reason. Now, not only do I have an accessible mini-RCA type plug, but ipod/iphone/mp3 input as well. Total Job time: 45 min, total cost: $25

Scotrod
11-10-2013, 11:21 AM
Is there a USB cable in the Goldwings located in the trunk? Might be why it's 'back there' instead of somewhere else on the 6's.

motozeke
11-10-2013, 12:42 PM
Is there enough current to charge?

F6B-RICH
11-10-2013, 01:29 PM
I have been using my Ipod in the saddlebag since I purchased the F6B.Its locked up when I stop at places and with the handlebar buttons controlling it I have no reason to move it.
Am I missing something? :iduno:

chipmaker
11-10-2013, 01:49 PM
I thought about this when I first got the bike, then forgot about it as I accessed the plug alot less then I thought I would. I just have a thumb drive connected, and don't really update it much. Also, it seems like someone else was having trouble with the signal on the long run of USB cable...

Dirtstiff's F6B
11-10-2013, 02:14 PM
I have been using my Ipod in the saddlebag since I purchased the F6B.Its locked up when I stop at places and with the handlebar buttons controlling it I have no reason to move it.

Same conclusion when I use a MP3 player. Control everything from the bars.
I sometimes stream music - Slacker Radio, through my "smart phone" which is connected to the RCA cable in the left compartment. Good access, but good potential for getting stolen.

My challenge now is where and what type of charger to mount for both.

J

Pedro66
11-10-2013, 03:54 PM
Is your radio seeing your iPod like this? if so please give us the part number you used for the cable most extensions dont seem to work

jusrev
11-10-2013, 04:27 PM
I went a different route, but same location. I used the longer J&M aux cable and the powerlet micro charger direct to the battery.

KenSk8Man
11-10-2013, 04:31 PM
Everything is fully functional. I use my iPhone. Sometimes I'll use a playlist, or I'll use Pandora. Since I do use the iPhone, when I exit the bike, I take it with me so there's no increased risk of theft. There is plenty of power to charge it in the glovebox.

The cable I used is a Gigaware 10' USB 2.0 shielded Extension Cable.
Part No: 26-1408

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3932758#

Deer Slayer
11-10-2013, 07:23 PM
Duh! I thought having my I pod in a plastic box out of the way was a good idea. My XM radio is in my left glove box as I seldom change channels. XM antenna is stuck on the clutch reservoir. Happy Motoring all....

F6B-RICH
11-10-2013, 07:58 PM

Ok again I am interested in knowing why do I want the USB cable to go to my glove box? What is the plus at having my Ipod there?I want to make sure I am not missing something good by having it in the glove box.

KenSk8Man
11-11-2013, 09:45 AM
Ok again I am interested in knowing why do I want the USB cable to go to my glove box? What is the plus at having my Ipod there?I want to make sure I am not missing something good by having it in the glove box.

LOL! You are not missing anything, and there is nothing wrong with leaving it in the saddlebags. I guess it comes down to personal preference. I would like my iPhone fully accessible, and since I use it for music, I would like to have it available in a pinch, so for me, it would be a pain to have to go into my saddlebags each time I pull over to stop for gas, lunch, or into a store or home.

If I were to use my ipod, or MP3 player, I would have to open the saddlebags and turn it off everytime I was going to be away from the bike for extended periods.

Most of the time, I stuff the hell out of those bags on a trip, and I don't want to worry about pulling on the ipod cord, or knocking it with a helmet or boot. JMHO

Steve 0080
11-11-2013, 12:21 PM
I ran a USB cable from my right handle bar to the cubby for power to my iphone…. I then blue tooth the phone to my helmet or a blue tooth device into my ears…

F6B-RICH
11-11-2013, 12:23 PM
Ok thanks.You are using your phone for music :icon_cool:

DisneyBill
11-12-2013, 05:49 PM
I apologize if this is a stupid question as I couldn't find the answer on a thread, but does the USB cable in the left pannier charge the iPod as well? I am considering picking up a cheap one to use for this if the controls and display are enhanced. Thanks in advance.

- Bill

Steve 0080
11-12-2013, 05:58 PM
Yes...... also pick up some two sided tape and tape the unit to the top of the bag out of the way ......