PDA

View Full Version : Linked Brake System works GREAT!

tpwood
05-03-2018, 02:56 PM
I've been riding Goldwings since 2003 with the start of a 1200, the 1500 and now my 16 F6B, and have been used to the braking system. Now I've never had ABS on a bike before so I can't speak to that. But last night while riding home in rural southwest PA on Rt 15 north from Maryland, I see allot of dead deer on the road every night and usually have to avoid the remains. So for the last 13 years I've ridden home after midnight from work 36 miles. Been extremely lucky both in my car and the bike of not hitting a deer. Last night a doe wandered out in the road slowly sniffing the road going across right in front of me. I had both feet up on the pegs and 75 mph, I saw the deer, grabbed all the front brake I could and before my feet reached the pedals the bike slowed and squealed the tires a bit, that's when it look up and ran off. The bike was very steady and slowed down really quick!
That's why I love the linked brake systems!

jm21ddd15
05-03-2018, 03:06 PM
Glad your ok. Personally, I wouldn't ride 75 mph after midnight, in deer country, with my feet up on pegs. JMO, but it sounds like a recipe for a crash. Hope your good luck steak continues!

opas ride
05-03-2018, 03:17 PM
I've been riding Goldwings since 2003 with the start of a 1200, the 1500 and now my 16 F6B, and have been used to the braking system. Now I've never had ABS on a bike before so I can't speak to that. But last night while riding home in rural southwest PA on Rt 15 north from Maryland, I see allot of dead deer on the road every night and usually have to avoid the remains. So for the last 13 years I've ridden home after midnight from work 36 miles. Been extremely lucky both in my car and the bike of not hitting a deer. Last night a doe wandered out in the road slowly sniffing the road going across right in front of me. I had both feet up on the pegs and 75 mph, I saw the deer, grabbed all the front brake I could and before my feet reached the pedals the bike slowed and squealed the tires a bit, that's when it look up and ran off. The bike was very steady and slowed down really quick!
That's why I love the linked brake systems!

Nay sayers can blow all the smoke they want about how lousy Honda's linked brake works compared to ABS systems, but I have never had an issue with them in all the years I have ridden Honda bikes...If ABS is on the newer bikes fine with me, but I would not hold up any deal just because the bike did not have ABS...Glad your okay and all worked out....Regards and ride safe

tpwood
05-03-2018, 04:29 PM
Glad your ok. Personally, I wouldn't ride 75 mph after midnight, in deer country, with my feet up on pegs. JMO, but it sounds like a recipe for a crash. Hope your good luck steak continues!

Yes I know! been riding for 45 years all over the country, so far only hit 1 dear on my 1500 and that's because two jumped out, missed the first one (buck) and thought I was safe, but the doe was following him and the head hit the side of my 1500 and took out the left saddle bag at 65 mph right at dusk, didn't shake the bike very much. So been very lucky with deer. Always watch for the eyes at night, also upgraded my lights to the Socal LED and installed the led driving lights also.