PDA

View Full Version : Camping Tent recommendations?

JerryC
05-09-2018, 03:14 PM
I am planning a trip this September where I will be camping out for about 3 nights. Does anyone have a recommendation on a good but not crazy priced tent? i am looking for a 2 person, dome tent for 3 seasons.
I will also be looking for a comfortable bed roll.
This will be my first time camping with a scoot, so I am planning this now to avoid mistakes.

f6bcarider
05-09-2018, 05:08 PM
Check Wally world has about the best prices and choices for those items.. If your traveling you can possible buy on the road

Az Wingrider
05-09-2018, 06:50 PM
The best tents for motorcycle camping are backpacking tents. The backpacking tents are light and pack up small. I agree that dome tents are best. Also if you are planning on two people in the tent you will need a three person tent. Two person tents have enough room for two sleeping bags very close together and not much else, a three person tent will sleep two with room for some gear. I personally prefer a four person tent for several reasons. There is plenty of room for me and my gear, They are tall enough I can stand up to put my clothes on (standing hunched over but at least not having to dress laying on my back), they are a much less claustrophobic place to sit out a rainy day and lastly when packed they are not much bigger than a two person tent.

I don't know what your budget is but price is most often directly related to quality. Personally I won't buy a tent with fiberglass poles because they fracture to easily. The durability of aluminum poles is ten times better. Also I want my tent to have clips to attach the tent to the poles because sleeves for the poles will take a lot more time and will literally fail much sooner than clips. Sleeves will also drive you up a wall. I feel that a bathtub floor is necessary to prevent leaks when it rains. Also I always use a footprint or a light tarp under the tent to save wear on the tent floor.

All the features I mentioned are not found on bargain priced tents. I currently camp with an REI Camp Dome 4 which is a medium priced tent that lists for about $200.00 but can be found on sale occasionally. Alps Mountaineering makes a quality tent for a little less money and they make Two, Two Plus, Three and Four person tents.

I shop for most of my camping gear at REI and I recommend them. The personnel there are knowledgeable, if you become a member your points which amount to about 10% of your spending can be cashed in once a year on any item and anything bought at REI can be returned during the first year for a full refund with no questions asked.

After all I have said if this going to be a one time experience a Walmart tent will be a much cheaper option and will get the job done. Another option if this is a one time deal would be to rent a tent from a local camping rental store.

I hope you enjoy your motorcycle camping trip. There are a lot of bikers that feel that motorcycles and camping are a natural fit and you will meet more people camping than hoteling it.

Enjoy
Az Wingrider

f6bcarider
05-09-2018, 07:00 PM
+1 Wingrider choosing a tent is like picking tires or oil lol.

JerryC
05-10-2018, 04:58 PM
Thanks for the advice. Amazing what one learns from experience. The tent is for me alone, but I am 65" and a 2 person tent makes sense. I like quality stuff, but your comment that if this is a one time deal, then go to Walmart... Good advice. My next camping trip will likely be to a Marriott...

choptop
05-10-2018, 08:12 PM
I sure like my double tall blow up do, I mean mattress. but then I am old and that tall mattress makes all the difference in getting up and or putting your shoes on. Also a plastic piss urinal thing is nice when you don't have to get up , just roll on your side...:)

olegoat345
05-10-2018, 10:29 PM
Bet AMAZON has them

Felloverboard
05-11-2018, 08:58 AM
Two options... I have used this Coleman tent for 5 years and still like new. 4 person. anything smaller makes it too crowded and it takes up the same space as a 2 person tent. Has higher ceiling than a offbrand tent and be sure to get the rainfly like this so it breathes.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Coleman-Realtree-Xtra-4-Person-Camo-Dome-Tent-with-Door-Awning-2000019640/232099587787?_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.S EED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D51377%26meid%3D1424ff179f964f e683e1e0f424bd0a8b%26pid%3D100675%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3 D15%26mehot%3Dpp%26sd%3D231914705549%26itm%3D23209 9587787&_trksid=p2481888.c100675.m4236&_trkparms=pageci%3A61b45fa4-5522-11e8-91b8-74dbd180caef%7Cparentrq%3A4f78602e1630aa13ae6e8084 fff52419%7Ciid%3A1

OPTION #2.... A hammock which takes up almost no space. One with a mosquito net and extra long. My brother uses one of these for week trips on the Blue Ridge Parway & the Smokeys. Goes hiking to the mountain tops for days. Says very comfortable and will never use a tent again. No need for sleeping bag and all the extras.
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2334524.m570.l1313.TR12.TRC2.A0.H1.Xhammo ck+camping+.TRS0&_nkw=hammock+camping+&_sacat=159043&LH_TitleDesc=0&_osacat=159043&_odkw=hammock

Nicki
05-19-2018, 03:37 PM
I am also 65, camp from 2 wheels a bit. I use an inflatable twin mattress and it makes a big difference for old bones.

crossbowme
05-19-2018, 05:41 PM
I'm 72 and use a Taurine 2 tent I bought from LLbean on sale. I use it when I'm enroute to somewhere but stay at a hotel or with friends when I get to my destination. Get all the room you can carry. You really need headroom when sitting up. The first time you have to get dressed in the tent, in the rain, you'll appreciate it. Make sure it has watertight construction with fully taped fly, taped perimeter seam, welded corners and welded guy clip anchors. It should also have a fly but you don't have to have a vestibule.

I have to admit, my back and knees don't like it to much anymore but it beats $200/night.

Draxsr
05-19-2018, 06:40 PM
+1 on the REI recommendation. After over 40 years in tents from Boy Scouts to deployments in the military, they've got some of the best camping gear out there.

Miks
05-19-2018, 06:53 PM
I recommend a circus tent! Stand up like a man and put your pants on whilst standing up, that's what I am talking about!

Seriously, when you compare how compact tents pack and are all lightweight, I pick a tent based on having double the capacity the tent says it can sleep. If it sleeps six, it probably sleeps two comfortably. I don't know if they are small Chinese kids that are evaluated for how many they sleep, but it is often better to go to the next size larger.

The real deal is the quick set up tents. I carry a five man for me and one other, it can be set up in two minutes time which is the way I like it. NO struggles!

stepbill
05-19-2018, 08:20 PM
I use a Kodiak 4 person canvas tent when I camp by myself but it is heavy. I have a trailer that I pull with my bike and it fits well in there. I'm 62 and can easily set it up by myself. Bought it through Amazon.com.

unsub
05-21-2018, 07:09 PM
Thanks for the advice. Amazing what one learns from experience. The tent is for me alone, but I am 65" and a 2 person tent makes sense. I like quality stuff, but your comment that if this is a one time deal, then go to Walmart... Good advice. My next camping trip will likely be to a Marriott...

...I'll add my 2c too. Size matters. For one person get a 2 or 3 person tent, for 2 persons get a 4 person tent...etc. It's nice to have a little room for your clothing and other gear on bad weather days, and in my opinion a fly and vestibule are important. Prepare to spend some coin on a decent tent that is light, strong and material that resists mold and mildew.

I like the circus tent suggestion except that you might have trouble shifting with clown shoes, the B's horn is louder that a red bulbous nose, but worst of all you'll seem attractive to bearded ladies....on the flip side you can hydrate on the fly from your water squirting lapel flower and you won't need to worry about sunscreen.

TerryDavid
06-15-2018, 12:20 AM
Been doing itfor over fourty years and my recommondation is one you can stand up in and a 3/4 man
My recommodation is the one in the picture
You can stand up in it
Has a heap of room
and real comfy when it rains
In Australia a couple of $100

Pumper
06-15-2018, 08:19 AM
Slick mate...You guys have all the cool stuff. Where on the Gold are you?

Pumper

JerryC
06-15-2018, 03:46 PM
Thanks for all the advice. I am leaning to a Coleman 3 person. Less than $100; I may never use it again. Rocky Mtns, here I come!

f6bcarider
06-16-2018, 12:44 PM
Ok Then no talking and get to riding do tell about the adventure when you have completed your mission keep the rubber down