PDA

View Full Version : What are your riding jams?

keller123
05-24-2018, 05:54 AM
All right lately I've been riding to Live and Die in LA soundtrack from Wang Chung! Freaking awesome! What are your favorite riding jams?

Kokomo Kevin
05-24-2018, 08:54 AM
Have XM on mine love it! Wide variety of formats....

keller123
05-24-2018, 09:12 AM
Have XM on mine love it! Wide variety of formats....

Yep, what XM radio did you end up going with, did you install it yourself?

Kokomo Kevin
05-24-2018, 09:30 AM
Had an Old Delphi Ski-Fy unit that was in the drawer for years. Reactivated it and have it mounted on a car cradle I bought on Ebay that is then mounted on a RAM mount on Bike.
Power comes through a connection in left cubby, mounted antenna in back routed through tupperware and under seat. Love it!

3Chief
05-24-2018, 09:43 AM
I have 30+ gigs of music on my Iphone. I just let it play on shuffle.

Kokomo Kevin
05-24-2018, 09:49 AM
I used my phone as well for a while, but the XM was an easy to mount system and took advantage of 3.5 MM plug in left cubby. Its all good, just a shame the Honda Audio is so out of date.
My main complaint was lousy radio reception. No one ever had any work arounds for it, so went XM route/

keller123
05-24-2018, 09:56 AM
I used my phone as well for a while, but the XM was an easy to mount system and took advantage of 3.5 MM plug in left cubby. Its all good, just a shame the Honda Audio is so out of date.
My main complaint was lousy radio reception. No one ever had any work arounds for it, so went XM route/

Yeah I like the XM idea, cool that you can bring it through the 3.5 plug just like I do my phone, what I love about using YouTube though is I get to pick out specifically what I want to listen to, and love the save playlists, no gigabytes of storage needed! Definitely looking into XM though, believe it or not more for the news and sports channels, then music, But back to the subject line, what's your favorite riding music right now? LOL

3Chief
05-24-2018, 10:11 AM
Yeah I like the XM idea, cool that you can bring it through the 3.5 plug just like I do my phone, what I love about using YouTube though is I get to pick out specifically what I want to listen to, and love the save playlists, no gigabytes of storage needed! Definitely looking into XM though, believe it or not more for the news and sports channels, then music, But back to the subject line, what's your favorite riding music right now? LOL

I run it thru a BT Dongle in the saddle bag so I can change songs and such thru the handle bar controls.

Kokomo Kevin
05-24-2018, 10:19 AM
Current favorites are Sinatra channel, 60's, 70's All Eagles channel, I know I am dating myself! Let the fun begin.....);

F6Bster
05-24-2018, 10:33 AM
Current favorites are Sinatra channel, 60's, 70's All Eagles channel, I know I am dating myself! Let the fun begin.....);

That sounds like my MP3 player. Lots of great 60s and 70s rock and country, with a splattering of later rock/jazz. Something lite like “Enya” when I’m laid back and enjoying beautiful scenery or riding big sweepers. Soundtrack to “TopGun”when riding twisties, which makes me twist my throttle more.

And it doesn’t repeat the loop as often as Sirius/XM. Have it in my Jeep. Wish they’d just put stuff on shuffle.

3Chief
05-24-2018, 10:34 AM
Hair Nation, Ozzy's Boneyard and Octane... Might be a bit of a Metal Head

broncsrule21
05-24-2018, 10:41 AM
I use a flash drive connected in the saddlebag. Need to add some more songs to it but most of it is Avenged Sevenfold and Volbeat right now.

keller123
05-24-2018, 10:46 AM
I use a flash drive connected in the saddlebag. Need to add some more songs to it but most of it is Avenged Sevenfold and Volbeat right now.

I run it thru a BT Dongle in the saddle bag so I can change songs and such thru the handle bar controls.

That seems like it would be the perfect scenario with an XM, I wonder if that's possible, that would be nice to be able to have and view XM channel using controls on left handlebar and be able to see the channel on our screen, no extra stuff hanging on the handle bar. I need to research that

STRaider
05-24-2018, 07:52 PM
I wanted xm, plus my phone with my own music and a gps. I hooked up an xm radio I had laying around, but all the wires were just too much with trying to have a gps and phone. I had the xm hooked up to a bluetooth transmitter....it was a lot going on. I got on ebay and found a zumo 665lm (gps with xm), ran the wires and used a ram ball mount. I have to say this worked out very well. One nice neat little unit with xm, gps, mp3 player, weather and traffic, and the bluetooth hooks up with my phone and helmet
I did a 750 mile trip Saturday/Sunday down to the riverwalk in San Antonio, had good reception all the way. Sunday we got rain and I have the zumo hooked up with xm weather, and I was able to get alerts and see the radar while riding, and dodge the weather. I am very happy with this set up.

I listen to classic rock (ch 25), some blues, some 70's and 80's, and some Fox jews sprinkled in. My thumb drive in the saddle bag is mostly classic rock, 60's-80's.

Edit: the Fox jews was a typo, I meant news, but that was funny enough to leave there.

Kokomo Kevin
05-24-2018, 07:59 PM
Now that sounds like a nice set up, if I only had the money. I have GPS on right side and XM on left side with my phone in the center cubby. When I ride it's like being at work in the office....
Hate phone calls.

Verismo
05-24-2018, 08:01 PM
Lol, NPR or local classical radio if I listen to anything besides the road.

Jason

wjduke
05-24-2018, 08:37 PM
Anything between Cheap Trick and Metallica, with Gary Moore, Stevie Ray, and Alter Bridge in the middle kind of. Hard rocker here and I'm not stopping now.

STRaider
05-24-2018, 09:07 PM
Now that sounds like a nice set up, if I only had the money. I have GPS on right side and XM on left side with my phone in the center cubby. When I ride it's like being at work in the office....
Hate phone calls.

The only thing better would be to have it all built in. After having all those devices and wires, I started thinking of upgrading to a 2018 Wing. This has calmed the storm of wanting to upgrade and get all the gadgets. The zumo was pricey, but I figured it saved me $26,000.00 or so. :p

Ewreck
05-25-2018, 12:42 PM
Engelbert Humperdincks greatest hit.

VStarRider
05-26-2018, 07:20 AM
The only thing better would be to have it all built in. After having all those devices and wires, I started thinking of upgrading to a 2018 Wing. This has calmed the storm of wanting to upgrade and get all the gadgets. The zumo was pricey, but I figured it saved me $26,000.00 or so. :p

Lol. I was on this board six months ago blabbing about getting a 2020 GW for the same reasons as above. I am just keeping mine and investing the saved $25,000 into an occasional training, top level riding gear, a Zumo 665 like you have, and a second bike ... HA! ... and will still have money left over!

As for music, it depends on my purpose for the ride. Heading into work on my 45 minute commute, it is the Brother Wease Show, and NPR during commercial breaks; the iPhone gets plugged in on the way home or on pleasure rides and is on "shuffle", sifting through my 1,320 songs.

I have a wide variety of taste ... just yesterday, I recall hearing "65 Love Affair" by Paul Simon; "If I Were a Boy", by Beyonce; "Is it Really Love" by Mr. Mister; "New World Man" by Rush; "A Thousand Miles from Nowhere" by Dwight Yoakam (a top ten riding song, IMO) on my way home.

I would say if one genre dominated over the others, it would be 70s lite rock (America, Little River Band, etc). I am 42 y/o.

SimonTemplar
05-26-2018, 10:46 AM
iPod Touch with 200+ gigs of storage....not much of it still empty.

However, the short list is:

Billy Idol
Blondie
Talking Heads
Robert Palmer
Blue Nile
Van Morrison
Doors
Gary Moore
John Lee Hooker
B.B. King
The Mavericks
The Blue Hawaiians
Johnny Adams
Robert Lucas
Doc Pomus
Chris Isaak

DaWadd
05-27-2018, 09:15 AM
I've been jamming with some Joe Bonamassa lately. Normally not into blues but he's GOOD.

keller123
05-27-2018, 09:28 AM

good stuff! Yeah I love those 60 70 80 channels

keller123
05-27-2018, 09:43 AM
awesome advice on jams hookup, and jam selection for sure! Thanks for sharing everyone! Keep them coming, I'm going to try to listen to at least one selection from every post, as far as what I ended up doing, I actually downloaded the XM app for Android! I don't know if it's a free trial or what, but I get everything,including Howard Stern, I know I know Howard Stern what a smut Master, but it 53, I do enjoy his interviews, he has some pretty big names on there now,but back to XM application, it is phenomenal, no worrying about antenna, wires, Etc, if this is just a temporary for free gig, I will definitely be calling them up and going for a subscription. And speaking of subscriptions, my wife and I found out the trick on that, for our cars,you get 6 months basically for 30 bucks if you keep calling to cancel, we put it on our Google Calendar when to call up and tell them you want to cancel and they keep giving you the $30 for 6 month deal.

keller123
05-27-2018, 10:04 AM
Lol. I was on this board six months ago blabbing about getting a 2020 GW for the same reasons as above. I am just keeping mine and investing the saved $25,000 into an occasional training, top level riding gear, a Zumo 665 like you have, and a second bike ... HA! ... and will still have money left over!

As for music, it depends on my purpose for the ride. Heading into work on my 45 minute commute, it is the Brother Wease Show, and NPR during commercial breaks; the iPhone gets plugged in on the way home or on pleasure rides and is on "shuffle", sifting through my 1,320 songs.

I have a wide variety of taste ... just yesterday, I recall hearing "65 Love Affair" by Paul Simon; "If I Were a Boy", by Beyonce; "Is it Really Love" by Mr. Mister; "New World Man" by Rush; "A Thousand Miles from Nowhere" by Dwight Yoakam (a top ten riding song, IMO) on my way home.

I would say if one genre dominated over the others, it would be 70s lite rock (America, Little River Band, etc). I am 42 y/o.

dang I forgot about that Rush new world man! Definitely adding that to a playlist

keller123
05-27-2018, 10:50 AM
so it looks like when you download the app, for Sirius, XM, they are giving it to you for free until May 29th, then it looks like if you have a paid subscription, you may be able to stream for free! I'm going to wait until the free stuff runs out, and then plug in my information for my car, and keep my fingers crossed, I know there's going to be times if I don't have 4G internet connection I won't be able to use, but 90% of the time I'm just driving around town anywhere where my 4G is strong. I guess you have the same outage on cloudy days with an XM antenna, I'm digging the application right now! Still feed it through my normal 3.5 plug I've been using to listen to YouTube, I am happy that XM plays even when your screen shut off, saves battery just like Pandora, all the news channels are there to for XM, pretty awesome!

STRaider
05-27-2018, 06:01 PM
Around town you shouldn't have too many problems listening to XM on your phone. If you take a trip and get off the highways, it can go away pretty quickly. I use it on my phone as well when riding in a metro area.

VStarRider
05-27-2018, 06:02 PM
so it looks like when you download the app, for Sirius, XM, they are giving it to you for free until May 29th, then it looks like if you have a paid subscription, you may be able to stream for free! I'm going to wait until the free stuff runs out, and then plug in my information for my car, and keep my fingers crossed, I know there's going to be times if I don't have 4G internet connection I won't be able to use, but 90% of the time I'm just driving around town anywhere where my 4G is strong. I guess you have the same outage on cloudy days with an XM antenna, I'm digging the application right now! Still feed it through my normal 3.5 plug I've been using to listen to YouTube, I am happy that XM plays even when your screen shut off, saves battery just like Pandora, all the news channels are there to for XM, pretty awesome!

Yeah, New World Man is a good one. "Distant Early Warning" is probably my favorite, followed closely by "Entre Nous", "Jacob's Ladder", "Xanadu". Rush has always been a progressive rock band. Have you noticed none of their songs are about women, relationship, or love (well...some are, indirectly). They have bigger issues to tackle.

As for the Sirius XM, app, it will work as long as you have an internet signal. The thing I don't like is that it is a challenge to change stations on a smartphone while riding. To do so safely, one needs to pull over and stop. If it shuts down due to a locking screen, then there is probably something you can change in your settings.

One more thing about the XM app - this weekend is the annual debut of "Yacht Rock Radio" on the station that is usually called "Love". Great stuff if you like 70s mellow rock.

keller123
05-27-2018, 06:29 PM
Yeah, New World Man is a good one. "Distant Early Warning" is probably my favorite, followed closely by "Entre Nous", "Jacob's Ladder", "Xanadu". Rush has always been a progressive rock band. Have you noticed none of their songs are about women, relationship, or love (well...some are, indirectly). They have bigger issues to tackle.

As for the Sirius XM, app, it will work as long as you have an internet signal. The thing I don't like is that it is a challenge to change stations on a smartphone while riding. To do so safely, one needs to pull over and stop. If it shuts down due to a locking screen, then there is probably something you can change in your settings.

One more thing about the XM app - this weekend is the annual debut of "Yacht Rock Radio" on the station that is usually called "Love". Great stuff if you like 70s mellow rock.

if you're a rush fan, you have to watch that movie I love you man! Have you ever seen it? Yes Rush is not for women at all, and that movie really lets everybody know that, LOL, hilarious scene, even if you just search that one scene on YouTube, you'll get it, my favorite Rush is probably red barchettafollowed by Spirit of the radio

tenxxx
05-28-2018, 08:21 PM
I can't get my usb in the trunk to work right. It plays for a few seconds and stops. Plays for a few more and stops. Then it stops and runs throughout the song list real fast over and over till you unplug it. Used some different sticks with different file setups and get the same thing.
BAd unit?

Frye
07-04-2018, 08:09 PM
I'm playing Pandora through my Garmin 595LM and have about 850 tunes on a memory card in the Garmin to rely on when I don't have signal.
My favorites are the Pine Box Boys, Bob Dylan, Metallica, Zeppelin, Ac/Dc, John Prine, Leon Russell, Clapton, Beatles, Deep Purple, Black Crows, Counting Crows, (guess I like crows :-) ) The Winters, both Johnny and Edgar, Tool, Steppin' Wolf, Hendrix, Procol Harum, The Spoon Lady, Joe Walsh, The Allman Brothers Band, The Big Damn Band. After that, the list diversifys quite a bit. Once the Classic Rock starts flowing, only the cruise control stands between me and "fast driving awards".

TerryDavid
07-05-2018, 06:52 AM
"Rockabilly"
Boots, Tshirt, Jeans, Tattoos and Tunes:cool:

coffee_weasle
07-05-2018, 07:14 AM
Fear the Reaper - Blue Oyster Cult

oldxtreme
07-05-2018, 12:09 PM
Thumb Drive loaded with classic Hendrix and a tank full of gas...ya don't have to worry about sound quality...just turn it up load and twist the right hand... makes the road fly by!

Ewreck
07-06-2018, 01:55 PM
Fear the Reaper - Blue Oyster Cult

They will be playing their one hit in my neighborhood next month along with Jefferson Starship. I listen to almost everything. Almost.

Fingerz
07-06-2018, 08:51 PM
I have 120 gig iPod Classic that has over 5K worth of songs on shuffle. Lots of 80s but everything else too.