PDA

View Full Version : Have to say goodbye to the best Forum ever!!

K/W Motoman
05-24-2018, 07:17 PM
Well men I had to say goodbye to the F6B. I have had many bikes but couldn’t fall in love with this one.
Reasons:
1. Too frigg’n heavy. Pushing it around or in seat manuvering was way to hard. Sure wish it had reverse!
2. My precious bikes all had powered windshields and I really miss being able to lower and rise when I wanted to.
3. Finally the infamous “DRONE”. Spent an hour on the freeway and my head almost exploded. Please make it stop. It really is a issue and has to be addressed and not by earplugs.

As far as to what will replace the Wing. Who knows.

Great bike with some issues. Most have been addressed in this years model but I don’t know about the drone.

M.

STRaider
05-24-2018, 07:39 PM
Don't know of any drone unless the pipes were replaced, but whatever. Good luck.

Joflewbyu2
05-24-2018, 07:43 PM
That sounds odd. I have many bikes and find the F6BD very easy to walk around without a passenger and I am only 5’11” and 175 lbs. No drone with the excellent factory exhaust which is silent when cruising. The Honda factory accessory Tall Windscreen with Vent is great. No buffeting at highway speeds and Vent opening allows cooling and wind dispersion up and over actually improving the pocket.

Can’t help you with leg strength but wonder what droning exhaust you had and what windshield.

Well men I had to say goodbye to the F6B. I have had many bikes but couldn’t fall in love with this one.
Reasons:
1. Too frigg’n heavy. Pushing it around or in seat manuvering was way to hard. Sure wish it had reverse!
2. My precious bikes all had powered windshields and I really miss being able to lower and rise when I wanted to.
3. Finally the infamous “DRONE”. Spent an hour on the freeway and my head almost exploded. Please make it stop. It really is a issue and has to be addressed and not by earplugs.

Great bike with some issues. Most have been addressed in this years model but I don’t know about the drone.

M.

Verismo
05-24-2018, 07:51 PM
If you've never experienced a legitimate drone, it is an unbelievable nuisance. I test rode a 2013 that had one. I bought a 2016 that doesn't. A constant resonant frequency is headache inducing water torture. Like amplified unceasing tinnitus, except in the case of the B, instead of a high resonant frequency, it's low enough to fill your whole head. I don't know if it's endemic to the earlier models or if it's bike specific. But if mine had it and I couldn't fix it by changing the exhaust, then I would be selling it, too. As to it being too heavy, I guess I can understand. It's a full figured bike. But to me she handles SO easily. Love the low center of gravity and horizontally opposed engine. And Ergomot makes an electric wind screen setup for a pretty penny. So does Windbender. I'm thinking of adding the Ergomot to my Mad5tad so I can run a lower screen all the time.

Anyway, bikes are usually about enjoyment rather than practicality in our fortunate country, so if you're not maximally satisfied, then ALL THE BEST in whatever bike you find. When you decide, you should put in 1,000 miles or so and come back and talk about pros and cons. It's always good to hear about differentiation. Take care!!!

Jason

Kokomo Kevin
05-24-2018, 07:55 PM
Not sure what year he had but my 13 is silky quiet with factory exhaust, Now my 98 Valk with Viking Exhaust might sound a little like a Porsche on steroids!

wjduke
05-24-2018, 08:34 PM
I've mentioned this long ago, but I do experience drone on my 15 with my Shoie full face helmet only. It's the RF1200. Only between speeds of say 45-65 or so. Slower, nothing, faster nothing. I live with it because I love the bike and am not about to spend hundreds looking for another helmet. I try to wear my Bell Pit Boss as much as possible. It's just something with my head shape and that helmet.

opas ride
05-24-2018, 08:39 PM
I have a 2013 with Cobra 6-2-6 pipes and have never considered the "slight drone" any major issue...Changing the throttle speed occasionally when riding on the super slab seems to solve any exhaust complaints for me...I am only 5"8 1/2" tall and weigh about 194 lbs...At age 78, yes, the bike is a little heavy for me backing down my driveway, etc...but a non-issue for the most part as I am otherwise fairly healthy for my old age...As we are all different, with various wants and needs, I hope you find what fits you best...As far as the the adjustable windshield goes, I had a couple of Victory's with this feature and only used it twice in over 6 years..Also, the type of helmet one wears makes a huge difference in any "drone" issues...Regards and ride safe....

STRaider
05-24-2018, 08:48 PM
If you've never experienced a legitimate drone, it is an unbelievable nuisance. I test rode a 2013 that had one. I bought a 2016 that doesn't. A constant resonant frequency is headache inducing water torture. Like amplified unceasing tinnitus, except in the case of the B, instead of a high resonant frequency, it's low enough to fill your whole head. I don't know if it's endemic to the earlier models or if it's bike specific. But if mine had it and I couldn't fix it by changing the exhaust, then I would be selling it, too. As to it being too heavy, I guess I can understand. It's a full figured bike. But to me she handles SO easily. Love the low center of gravity and horizontally opposed engine. And Ergomot makes an electric wind screen setup for a pretty penny. So does Windbender. I'm thinking of adding the Ergomot to my Mad5tad so I can run a lower screen all the time.

Anyway, bikes are usually about enjoyment rather than practicality in our fortunate country, so if you're not maximally satisfied, then ALL THE BEST in whatever bike you find. When you decide, you should put in 1,000 miles or so and come back and talk about pros and cons. It's always good to hear about differentiation. Take care!!!

Jason

I have a 2013. I experienced serious, unimaginable, and unbearable drone when I put some Rush 4" pipes on. I had them on 30 minutes and took them off and sold them. My 2013 with the stock exhaust doesn't have any drone. I just put a Ma&%$t shield on, and all I can hear is road noise now. I wear a full face helmet most of the time, though. I wish the bike had a little rumble or something when I wear a half or 3/4 helmet. I don't like the road noise and clanking noises I hear on the road, so I listen to music via bluetooth in my helmet, but I don't have any drone issues.

soupbean
05-25-2018, 04:05 AM
K/W Motoman.., two bikes I would seriously consider if I had to replace my “B” would be the Africa Twin or Crosstourer 1200 X. But they aren’t offered with cruise..., maybe a new FJR..

DaWadd
05-25-2018, 08:06 AM
That's a shame but good luck on your next ride. I have a 13 with stock exhaust and no drone whatsoever.

olegoat345
05-25-2018, 10:43 AM
"B's" they're not for everybody. Some folks just don't care for them. I've owned dozens of bikes & the B is the one that works best for me. I do miss my Yamaha 1700 Road Star.
I'm 76yo & don't have any problem walking my B around. Drone would have to come from a after market exhaust.

3Chief
05-25-2018, 11:03 AM
I never noticed the drone, however the B is definitely harder to push around than any of my other bikes.

Zteve
05-25-2018, 11:11 AM
Well I guess we're all stuck with this thing. .violin.

Texas TC
05-25-2018, 11:53 AM
Sorry it didn’t work out for you. In my 53 years of riding and many bikes of many brands, the F6B is my all time favorite. I hope your next bike will be your all time favorite.

2wheelsforme
05-25-2018, 12:50 PM
I do not find many times I need to push the bike around, choose my parking spots carefully. My shield is in the perfect spot so no need to move it ever. I do not have a drone on these black stock pipes and no plans to make it louder. I do wish sometimes my knees were not bent in so much of an angle. A taller and more back setting RDL is on the way to me so hopefully that will give more leg room. Best bike of the many I've had.

lloydmoore1
05-25-2018, 02:50 PM
See ya later and good luck finding a bike that fits.

opas ride
05-25-2018, 02:55 PM
At the ripe old age of 78, and after having several bikes over the last 50+ years,for the most-part, the F6B ranks right up there with my best/favorite bikes. On the road, my all time favorite was a 2011 Victory Vision Tour, for short rides with lots of torque and "grunt" my 2005 VTXF3 1800 Honda was a blast!!...The 6 fills almost all my needs and is super fun to ride etc., although it is getting a little heavy at times....But, I must say I sat on the new Harley Road King last week for a while and it felt very, very, comfortable and really looked nice to me...Have said I would never ever own a HD, but this thing may change my mind if I can take it for a test ride...Simple controls, not loaded with nonsense "whistles and bells" just a nice bike in my opinion.....Regards and ride safe

coffee_weasle
05-25-2018, 06:13 PM
i don't have my F6 any longer (i needed reverse also (and cruise)). but still on this forum because the 1800A forum doesn't suit me like this one does. it's the people here, they're helpful, fun, knowledgeable AND they are in a word, awesome.

as for the drone, i had stock pipes and never heard any drone, maybe my music was too loud or my "bikers high" was kicked in. lol

tenxxx
05-26-2018, 12:35 AM
No drone on my 2013 with stock pipes, and i love the stock sound. Sitting on mine I can easily move it around in the garage. At 65 yrs and 200 lbs no problems. Sometimes while riding I convince myself that I need something other than whats available on the B. But the next chance to take it through the gears and that goes away. I had a guy on a Harly over take me today just to see what he was following. I didn't make it easy for him either. I teased him for a while first. Life is grand.
Good Riding

VStarRider
05-26-2018, 07:08 AM
I thought the exhaust drone issue was the result of a re-tune on the 15-17 models to make it sound more sporty, being a cruiser and all ... ?

Anyway, I have the '13, and it definitely has the low buzz exhaust sound of a horizontally-opposed engine...my Subaru with a flat-4 makes a similar sound....however, I never find it bothersome when cruising. Sometimes I mute the stereo just to swim in it's mellow tune for awhile :cool:

I do not question anyone's fit or feel for a motorcycle, or anything that we buy for pleasure or comfort. It has to be right for each of us, or the pleasure or comfort is distracted and that defeats the purpose.

I am very picky about my vehicles ... I have a Corbin seat on my F6; not the most popular choice in these parts, but it works great for me. I have traded in snowmobiles that just do not fit me right, despite glowing reviews across the internet. Cars --> power driver's seat is a must; without the full range of adjustment, particularly thigh support, I will start squirming 20 miles into a drive. Same on the bike, which was my unique issue with the stock seat and why I returned an Ultimate that I installed on my VStar years ago ... the Ultimate is a very popular choice and highly regarded.

As someone above said, these are pleasure vehicles, not practical vehicles. We can live with shortcomings for sake of practicality, but these are luxury items and we are fortunate to be able to own them in the first place, and even more fortunate to be able to make fit us they way we want them to.

F6Dave
05-26-2018, 07:52 AM
I thought the exhaust drone issue was the result of a re-tune on the 15-17 models to make it sound more sporty, being a cruiser and all ... ?

That's what I thought. I owned a '13 with the chrome exhaust, and it was virtually silent. I think the exhaust got louder in '14 or '15 when Honda changed from chrome to black pipes.

I grew to love the quiet ride. I now have a '16 which is a good bit louder. It sounds nice when you start it up, but can get annoying at some speeds. Overall I like the newer bike now that it has cruise control and better paint, but I'd be happier with the older exhaust.

2015F6B
05-26-2018, 08:15 AM
If you've never experienced a legitimate drone, it is an unbelievable nuisance. I test rode a 2013 that had one. I bought a 2016 that doesn't. A constant resonant frequency is headache inducing water torture. Like amplified unceasing tinnitus, except in the case of the B, instead of a high resonant frequency, it's low enough to fill your whole head.

My 2015 drone was even worse than you describe. I was ready to sell the bike after the first 4K miles. I removed the stock black exhaust and installed a chrome set of mufflers from a 2014 that I had the opportunity to purchase (heat shield and tips included for $200 total). Wha-Lah . . . drone completely gone! ! ! I still have the bike now with 40K miles and it's the best bike I've ever owned - but you're correct, the drone with the stock exhaust was horrible. I know that many members on this forum haven't experienced what we're talking about but believe me it really exists on some bikes.

Kokomo Kevin
05-26-2018, 08:44 AM
As a former employee in a GM Assembly plant, I wonder if there was not some kind of defect in some of these. I cant imagine Honda changing much in the exhaust design over the run on these bikes.
Does anyone know of these complaints on the Gold wing forums? Not suggesting drone was not there, but really wondering what differences were in the stock systems, year to year.

F6Dave
05-26-2018, 09:32 AM
I'm pretty sure it was intentional. There were some complaints that the original bike was too quiet, so Honda added some bark to the pipes, not unlike the sound of the 1800 Valkyrie.

There were several changes over the F6B's short 4 year life. The transmission was modified (in all Wings) to address ghost shifting, cruise control was added, and the paint was improved over the 'soft' paint on the original 2013 bikes.

Kokomo Kevin
05-26-2018, 09:40 AM
F6Dave, thanks for the information! I knew about paint,tranny issues but did not know exhaust changed. I have never heard an 1800 Valkyrie yet, but will try and see if I can find one to listen too.
The 13 B I have is nice and quiet but when I open it up it growls a little, I compare it to my 1500 Valkyrie with a Viking Exhaust, so my "drone" calculations may be skewed a little.

2015F6B
05-26-2018, 07:18 PM
For what it's worth, when I removed my 2015 black OEM exhaust and installed the chrome 2014 mufflers, I first stood the two mufflers up, side by side, and looked into the inlet ends of both. They were completely different. Baffles was much further down in one than the other (but it's been so long I don't remember which was which). Also, with the tips removed, the outlet are much different on each. I was after "quiet" mufflers and the chrome 2014s fit the bill. Besides, they look so much better IMHO! Anyway Motoman, sorry to be losing you, you're missing out on a good thing!

Joflewbyu2
05-27-2018, 05:32 AM
I got a 14 quiet takeoff GL1800 exhaust which has a shorter square tip that the bottom is angled up for better road clearance. I actually like the look better and was always one for function over cosmetics. The later 15 and 16 F6B models received the revised louder exhaust which have a larger hidden exhaust outlet behind the chrome beauty tip cover as well as revised baffles. I figured I would go with the original earlier design as it is a result of many years since at least 2001 of rider’s feedback and Honda’s engineers research and design.

2wheelsforme
05-27-2018, 06:07 AM
15 F6Bs do not have a chrome beauty tip on the exhaust.

tenxxx
05-28-2018, 03:50 PM
My 2013 with chrome mufflers are just loud enough to hear at cursing speed. Can hear the alternator tweet more that the exhaust.
Beyond 65mph the road noise and wend cancels them both out.
But I love the exhaust note at lower speeds. Sounds like a euro sports car.

Joflewbyu2
05-28-2018, 07:08 PM
Correct. I meant black beauty tip that the 15 and 16 F6b models received. The 15, 16 and 17 GL1800 models also went black too for the members who want to switch to the silent cruising exhaust without drone. I am so much happier with the 14 takeoff GL1800 exhaust after having the Cobra Six-2-Six and the TBR. I can actually hear my music without competing with the exhaust noise.

15 F6Bs do not have a chrome beauty tip on the exhaust.

crossbowme
05-29-2018, 07:23 AM
Reasons:

M.

1. Can't remember all the bikes I have owned and this one is no heavier/lighter than most. Since 99% don't have reverse it's no different than the others. Of course, I knew this because I test rode my before I bought mine.
2. I bought a Baggershield and it provides all the windshield I need.
3. I have a '16 and don't have a drone after thousands of miles. I have a friend that put a Vance and Hines on his with no drone.

Of course, if just want to buy a new bike just go for it. You don't need any reasons to do that. Just ask my wife!

olegoat345
05-30-2018, 03:31 PM
If you're looking for light, check out the Indian Scout @ 557#. My G/F has one, great bike ! I walk / move it around like a bicycle. Decent ride for a light weight, handles good too. Lots of ad-on's for it too.

VStarRider
05-30-2018, 04:02 PM
If you're looking for light, check out the Indian Scout @ 557#. My G/F has one, great bike ! I walk / move it around like a bicycle. Decent ride for a light weight, handles good too. Lots of ad-on's for it too.

Funny you should mention that. The Scout is high on my list of second bikes (its a fluid list, i assure you). Seems like a great package for $12k...liquid cooled Vtwin with good power (86 hp at the wheel, I believe; more than enough for a bike this size), light weight, ABS, and great looks (my opinion).

I would love to hear any additional thoughts you have, if you have put some miles on her bike.

VStarRider
05-30-2018, 04:03 PM
My 2013 with chrome mufflers are just loud enough to hear at cursing speed. Can hear the alternator tweet more that the exhaust.
Beyond 65mph the road noise and wend cancels them both out.
But I love the exhaust note at lower speeds. Sounds like a euro sports car.

Is that what that sound is on bikes?!?! Eight years of riding, and I have always wondered what made that noise ...