PDA

View Full Version : Corbin Seat installation woes

pblair
11-12-2013, 10:53 PM
Just got my Corbin seat today and I must say it looks and feels awesome. Purchased at Lone Star Rally, Galveston, TX and shipped to me by Corbin. Very excited.

However I got issues.

The holes in the seat are difficult to line up with the frame mounting holes but I can and did get by that. It just requires a bit of finesse.
I thought the backrest was removable so I could ride in style with no back rest and slip it in for my wife when she wanted to ride. Nope, you gotta remove the seat and screw it down then finesse the seat mounting screws back in.
Oops the right side saddle bag release does not function properly. Take the seat off and fiddle with the mechanism. Seems to work properly with the seat off. Okay, put the seat back on and this time be more careful with the right side. Still does not work.
Remove the seat and install the stock seat. Everything works perfectly. Hmmm.
Remove the stock seat and re-install the Corbin. Same thing, right side saddlebag release is jacked up. It is releasing the cover but not returning to the closed position and the cover will not shut. Force the lever back to closed position and close the cover.
Lets remove the key and go for a ride just to see how the seat feels. Christ, the key will not turn completely to the vertical position so I cannot remove it.
Remove the right seat screws which allows the right side saddlebag release lever to return to the closed position and allows the key to turn to the full vertical position.
I am riding on this seat dammit. Replace the seat screws and lets go for a ride. Son of a B. Partially stripped the threads on the frame.
Stop everything and chase the threads. You know what, screw it. Put the stock seat back on and deal with it later.

After much contemplation and thought it seems that the seat is too wide and rubs against the saddlebag cover release lever preventing it from working properly. Or maybe it is the width of the seat at the screw holes because if do not put the screws in all the way the lever works properly. But, as soon as those screws are tightened the saddlebag levers malfunction.

I will contact Corbin and try to get some help.

Anyone else have similar issues.

fsixb_AZ
11-12-2013, 11:12 PM
Yep, similar problems with the latch mechanisms, they both work but to function take a couple of pulls on the latch. Difficult lining up the darn bolt holes, Yep, that too, but I am thinking about getting the tapered bolts made just for this problem from Wingstuff. Neither problem however will force me to put the stock seat back on, because I sold it to another forum member!:cheers:l

F6B-RICH
11-13-2013, 12:54 AM
I had my Corbin on and off a few times and have zero problems with the saddlebag latches.I do have to adjust the seat a little to get the bolts to line up but that is a no issue as after you start them no problems screwing them in.

jkelley
11-13-2013, 07:39 AM
Same problems, saddle bag latches and alignment off. Finally got mine working like they should. Seat looks great but damn it's hard.
If it does not get better soon, Mustang here I come.

pblair
11-13-2013, 07:59 AM
Same problems, saddle bag latches and alignment off. Finally got mine working like they should. Seat looks great but damn it's hard.
If it does not get better soon, Mustang here I come.

How did you get it the latches working properly? I really love this saddle but ain't gonna use it if I can't open and shut the saddlebag lids.

hiflyer
11-13-2013, 08:04 AM
After owning seven Corbins, the first on a BMW RS, I decided the only thing Corbin had going for them was they look good. Never, ever had one that installed easily like everyone elses. Hope you get the problems worked out. I think the problem with installing them is that there is no flex in their seat pans, and man are they heavy compared to other brands.

52edub
11-13-2013, 08:31 AM
I just got a Corbin seat and have a question on the install. Can you tell me if the metal tongue attached with two bolts goes under the bar above the gas tank at the nose of the seat. Mine was not installed that way and after struggling with it, can't seem to get it to go under the bar. Doesn't seem to be sitting high, but if it should go under I can work the bracket some to make it do so. Thanks.

MichaelG
11-13-2013, 09:21 AM
I just got a Corbin seat and have a question on the install. Can you tell me if the metal tongue attached with two bolts goes under the bar above the gas tank at the nose of the seat. Mine was not installed that way and after struggling with it, can't seem to get it to go under the bar. Doesn't seem to be sitting high, but if it should go under I can work the bracket some to make it do so. Thanks.

Yes, the metal tongue at the front of the seat, underside, should go UNDER the bar.

jkelley
11-13-2013, 09:48 AM
How did you get it the latches working properly? I really love this saddle but ain't gonna use it if I can't open and shut the saddlebag lids.

I actually tried several times to get it right, but every time I tightened the grab handles both latches would either refuse to work, or at least drag and not work as designed. Leaving the bolts slightly loose both latches worked fine. To be totally honest I got pissed off and beat the damn thing into submission. I guess I somehow created more clearance for height at the grab rail side holes. Not by much as you can't see it or really tell but it was enough that they now work fine. My mind set was that I was pissed and the damn thing was either going to work or go in the trash. Really frustrating to me that this seat is difficult enough to remove and install (10 bolts stock with a back rest and rear rack) not to mention the fact that they don't fit correctly. I would also guess one could also relieve the underside of the grab rail slots slightly and pull up on them when installing and accomplish the same result? But I was not modifying the rails to accommodate a seat. The other problem with Corbin is that the seat has to be removed to get the side covers off. Could be as new the sides of the seat where the grab rails bolt on are sticking out too far causing the grab rails to angle down, and after being on a while the contact points will be flattened and the grab rails will be level allowing the latches to work as they are supposed to? I have not had mine back off but I will pull it this weekend to verify.

52edub
11-13-2013, 09:56 AM
Sorry about your troubles. I have taken mine off a couple of times and except for the front tab, it goes on easy and no problem with saddlebag latches. I also have the Corbin backrest and yes if you want it locked down at the back for a passenger you have to remove the seat. I just use mine for long distance traveling at the riders position, but bought it so it can be used in the back. My wife has used it with me just inserting it in the slot with no problems. I did cable lock it to the grab rails when we parked. Definitely easier to use than the Honda backrest.

Phantom
11-13-2013, 10:24 AM
Those of you with issues

Have you contacted CORBIN ? if so .....

WHAT DID CORBIN DO or INSTRUCT you to do when you called them and explained your installation problem ???????

Many times problems are caused by the INSTALLER. Some owners have had ZERO issues. I have Corbin seats and yes they initially needed some minor shimming so that the seat was not as tight on the bike as it came from the factory. Spacers/washers are used on a few CORBIN seats until they fit your bike the way you want it.

Occasionally the product needs to be tweaked or redesigned.

CALL CORBIN and ask to speak with someone that knows this NEW seat, they may have a solution for you.

F6B-RICH
11-13-2013, 11:11 AM
Like I said in my above post I have no problems.It just seems the more times you take it on and off for whatever reason/mods the easier it may fit and the latches work and fit better :iduno:

pblair
11-13-2013, 11:27 AM
Those of you with issues

Have you contacted CORBIN ? if so .....

WHAT DID CORBIN DO or INSTRUCT you to do when you called them and explained your installation problem ???????

Many times problems are caused by the INSTALLER. Some owners have had ZERO issues. I have Corbin seats and yes they initially needed some minor shimming so that the seat was not as tight on the bike as it came from the factory. Spacers/washers are used on a few CORBIN seats until they fit your bike the way you want it.

Occasionally the product needs to be tweaked or redesigned.

CALL CORBIN and ask to speak with someone that knows this NEW seat, they may have a solution for you.

They want pictures and will get back to me.

ff73148
11-13-2013, 04:21 PM
Everything fits and saddlebag latches work. My issue is that you can't remove the side panels unless the seat is off. I've been on the phone with Corbin over the past 4 or 5 weeks. They said I could send the seat back and they would shave off enough of the pan so the side panels come off. I told them that is not good enough. If they do it that way there will be a wide gap . They screwed up when they molded the pan. I'm waiting to hear back from them. I like the seat and for me it has the comfort I need for long rides.

Scotrod
11-13-2013, 06:07 PM
My custom-made one of a kind seat fits like OEM,,, because it uses the OEM pan. :yes:

Got about 5 hundred plus miles on the RDL. As anticipated,,, you don't even think about yer butt when riding,,,

It ain't for everyone I suppose, but I sure like 'em!!! :icon_biggrin:

pblair
11-14-2013, 10:53 PM
After many attempts and finally discovering that all I needed was a couple of 3/16" spacers on the front seat mounting bolts between the seat and the grab rail to keep it from twisting and binding the saddlebag release levers. Glad that is behind me. Everything works perfectly.

This seat looks great and after a full day of riding it feels great.

Whew!

Bama Bagger
11-15-2013, 03:17 AM
After many attempts and finally discovering that all I needed was a couple of 3/16" spacers on the front seat mounting bolts between the seat and the grab rail to keep it from twisting and binding the saddlebag release levers. Glad that is behind me. Everything works perfectly.

This seat looks great and after a full day of riding it feels great.

Whew!

Hey PBlair (Phil),

My Corbin is on order and should be in at the end of the month. I have had 3 other Corbins and have had similar issues with having to tweak the saddles to fit right. Based on what you did, are those 3/16" spacers you mentioned just washers? Could you post a few photos of your installed seat? I had a few calls to one of Corbins Sales Guys and he tried to get me to go with the Distressed Bomber Jacket Leather but I decided to go with the standard Mercedes Black Leather with Asphalt Vinyl Panels.

Thanks...:bowdown:

pblair
11-15-2013, 09:03 AM
Hey PBlair (Phil),

My Corbin is on order and should be in at the end of the month. I have had 3 other Corbins and have had similar issues with having to tweak the saddles to fit right. Based on what you did, are those 3/16" spacers you mentioned just washers? Could you post a few photos of your installed seat? I had a few calls to one of Corbins Sales Guys and he tried to get me to go with the Distressed Bomber Jacket Leather but I decided to go with the standard Mercedes Black Leather with Asphalt Vinyl Panels.

Thanks...:bowdown:

Just a couple of washers on each side. You may not need them but if you do, it is super easy (I can say that now). I got the same seat you have coming. You are gonna love it.

Phantom
11-15-2013, 10:01 AM
Just a couple of washers on each side. You may not need them but if you do, it is super easy (I can say that now). I got the same seat you have coming. You are gonna love it.

Phil, GLAD to hear that it was a simple adjustment. This is normal for some Corbin seats. Looks very nice :icon_cool::yes:

hiflyer
11-15-2013, 10:24 AM

I think the biggest takeaway from these pics, is that you guys still have leaves on your trees! Seat looks great, and by the looks of your trees, you've got the perfect weather to break it in!

Scotrod
11-15-2013, 11:14 AM
Seat looks NICE!!!!!!! :yes: :yes::yes:

I wish Corbin seats 'worked' for me.

Bama Bagger
11-15-2013, 11:47 AM

Phil, Awesome...thanks for the photos! Another two weeks and mine should be in! :beer3:

pblair
11-15-2013, 02:17 PM
I think the biggest takeaway from these pics, is that you guys still have leaves on your trees! Seat looks great, and by the looks of your trees, you've got the perfect weather to break it in!

Leaves on the trees, the grass is green and the lawn boys just left. I am going riding. It is all good except June, July, August and sometimes September when it is too hot to ride very far.

ff73148
11-23-2013, 11:57 AM
Spoke to Corbin this past week and they have no intentions of changing the seat pan. So if you want to take your side panels off, to get at your battery, the seat must be removed. Normally this wouldn't be an issue to remove two bolts. But if you have a rear rack or back rest then that has to be removed first, PIA. Love the seat but I'm not happy about this result.

F6B-RICH
11-24-2013, 10:36 AM
I agree with my NJ F6B rider Frank.The only thing different for me is I owned a Spyder for 3 years and the battery was just as bad of a spot to get to.So I will
cross my fingers and hope I do not have to get to the battery while on the road.

Scotrod
11-24-2013, 05:49 PM
hope I do not have to get to the battery while on the road.

I carry one of these with all the basics in it at all times:

http://roadgear.com/tool-pouches-c-23_33.html

More often than not, it only comes out to tighten/adjust some of the aftermarket do-dad's I have, but 'whatever tools it takes' for a battery replacement have always been in/on every bike I've ever owned. :shrug:

Probably comes from that one time I had a dead bat in my P/U in Austin... A new battery was right across the road at Sams,,, Didn't have so much as a pair of pliers with me to swap it out,,,

Let's just say a 'little light went on' and I travel with basic tools now in every vehicle I own. :icon_wink:

cpt_go
03-26-2015, 07:13 PM
Everything fits and saddlebag latches work. My issue is that you can't remove the side panels unless the seat is off. I've been on the phone with Corbin over the past 4 or 5 weeks. They said I could send the seat back and they would shave off enough of the pan so the side panels come off. I told them that is not good enough. If they do it that way there will be a wide gap . They screwed up when they molded the pan. I'm waiting to hear back from them. I like the seat and for me it has the comfort I need for long rides.

I purchased my new Corbin seat at Daytona Bike Week a few weeks ago. I mentioned to them about the issue of not being able to get the side covers off without removing the seat. They put the seat on my F6B and said they'd fix it and they did right while I watched and checked it out to my satisfaction they were very accommodating. What they did was carefully tape up the side cover area so they wouldn't scratch anything. Remove the seat drill out the rivets, pulled the leather seat cover up and marked it and trimmed off about 3/8 or 1/2 inch off the seat pan recovered the seat and replaced the rivets then had me try removing the side covers everything was fine, worked great. He took a few pictures for his reference and believe sent some to the California factory. He said this was the first he ever heard the complaint but was an easy fix.
The guy that helped me and did all the work happens to be the manager at the Ormond Beach Fl location his name is Michael Keohane

MAYHEM01
03-26-2015, 07:19 PM
Thanks will keep this info for when I go to get my Corbin seat..

ff73148
03-26-2015, 08:14 PM
I purchased my new Corbin seat at Daytona Bike Week a few weeks ago. I mentioned to them about the issue of not being able to get the side covers off without removing the seat. They put the seat on my F6B and said they'd fix it and they did right while I watched and checked it out to my satisfaction they were very accommodating. What they did was carefully tape up the side cover area so they wouldn't scratch anything. Remove the seat drill out the rivets, pulled the leather seat cover up and marked it and trimmed off about 3/8 or 1/2 inch off the seat pan recovered the seat and replaced the rivets then had me try removing the side covers everything was fine, worked great. He took a few pictures for his reference and believe sent some to the California factory. He said this was the first he ever heard the complaint but was an easy fix.
The guy that helped me and did all the work happens to be the manager at the Ormond Beach Fl location his name is Michael Keohane

Thanks for the info. I'll be calling Corbin tomorrow.

fl1madmax
03-27-2015, 08:57 AM
Thanks for the info. I'll be calling Corbin tomorrow.

If feels like your Butt went to Haven !!!!!!! Expensive but Zero Issues........try the rest, Buy the Best !