PDA

View Full Version : How hot is too hot to ride?

zeus661
06-28-2018, 06:10 AM
Going to be 90-100 degrees this weekend here. When do you consider it too hot to ride? What tricks do you have for staying cool on the bike?

2wheelsforme
06-28-2018, 07:12 AM
Stay away from stop and go traffic. Always much cooler in the country. As long as the temps are below body temp then you get a cooling affect when moving. Full face stays at home and jeans and a t-shirt up to the 90s. Home in AC or on the water after that. This weekend our club is doing an evening ride so the temps will be much lower than the highs for the day. The lower 80s and no sun is just fine with me.

Ewreck
06-28-2018, 07:20 AM
I used to live 30 miles west of Palm Springs CA. Ride to the mountains or to a beach if possible.

Az Wingrider
06-28-2018, 09:20 AM
For those of us in the desert southwest high temperatures are a part of life. When riding in temps over 100 degrees you need to avoid having any exposed skin because the air flowing across your skin heats and doesn't cool. A full face helmet is cooler because it keeps the wind off your face. Long sleeves also keep you cooler. Most of us also where neck wraps such as endura cool and cool vests. Hydration is a must, your body cools itself by sweating and you must keep up with fluid loss. In extremely hot temps it is necessary to be continually drinking. If you do not need to pee every 100 miles you are not drinking enough. I don't know anyone who really enjoys high temps but a lot of us like riding enough we learn to deal with the high temps and keep on riding.

I was riding yesterday in 111 degree temps and it wasn't really comfortable but I did enjoy being on the bike. Its all good as long as you are on two wheels.

Az wingrider

Cali261
06-28-2018, 10:06 AM
I don't get the 100+ temps often, but occasionally hit the mid 90's. I freeze two 1.0L bottles of water and drink from them as the ice melts. I also have two neck cooling wraps that I wrap around the frozen waters and alternate. I just recently bought a long sleeve "Fishing Shirt" that has mesh under the arms and along some of the back area. I've worn it once and it worked great. Will not hold up well as protection from road rash, but it's a trade off.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N17BZ05/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

3Chief
06-28-2018, 10:33 AM
Draggin shirt, keep moving, stay hydrated and take an ac break now an then.

jmdaniel
06-28-2018, 11:14 AM
For those of us in the desert southwest high temperatures are a part of life. When riding in temps over 100 degrees you need to avoid having any exposed skin because the air flowing across your skin heats and doesn't cool. A full face helmet is cooler because it keeps the wind off your face. Long sleeves also keep you cooler. Most of us also where neck wraps such as endura cool and cool vests. Hydration is a must, your body cools itself by sweating and you must keep up with fluid loss. In extremely hot temps it is necessary to be continually drinking. If you do not need to pee every 100 miles you are not drinking enough. I don't know anyone who really enjoys high temps but a lot of us like riding enough we learn to deal with the high temps and keep on riding.

I was riding yesterday in 111 degree temps and it wasn't really comfortable but I did enjoy being on the bike. Its all good as long as you are on two wheels.

Az wingrider

I wish we could "like" posts here, all your comments are spot on.

I scheduled a Meetup group ride for this Saturday, running a route that is in the latest Ride Texas magazine. It's supposed to be around 99 later that day, (I'll be back to the house by 1p, in the pool by 1:05p), but there have been no takers. I'm happier on two wheels than a couch...

olegoat345
06-28-2018, 12:00 PM
Those temps are read in the shade, in the sun you can ad 10-12 degrees, on the road, in traffic ad 15-20 degrees

six2go
06-28-2018, 12:30 PM
I find that as I age I tolerate the heat a lot less than when I was young(er). I don't like riding in temps much above 80*. My ideal temp range for riding is 55* - 75*. Consequently my annual mileage is much lower these days. My bike goes into storage twice a year, once for the Winter months of Dec.- March, and the second time during the "Dog Days" of Summer which came earlier this year. Gonna have heat index of 105 - 110 for the upcoming weekend.

ths61
06-28-2018, 12:50 PM
Low humidity evaporative cooling helps if you live in a low humidity climate. A camelbak with ice water helps to keep you constantly hydrated.

F6Dave
06-28-2018, 01:48 PM
I've seen 100+ more than once this summer. I soak my mesh jacket and shirt at every stop. I kind of become a moving swamp cooler.

tenxxx
06-28-2018, 06:43 PM
Soaking my shirt works great till it dry's in about 10 miles. But the effects last much longer. Wear long sleeve poly with sun protection. Water in the cup holder. Nothing above 86 or so degrees for me. Completely covered. Regular rest stops. Get off and explore a little. I have regular routes I take, but one new one a week. Cary my pocket fisherman. Never could take the heat above 85 much. A few of my stops are air conditioned. Don't know how it its gonna go this August when we go out west from northern Michigan. Should be a little cooler up there I hope.
The main thing that is mentioned here is hydration. Hot air wicks moisture no mater how you cover up.

opas ride
06-28-2018, 06:50 PM
I find that as I age I tolerate the heat a lot less than when I was young(er). I don't like riding in temps much above 80*. My ideal temp range for riding is 55* - 75*. Consequently my annual mileage is much lower these days. My bike goes into storage twice a year, once for the Winter months of Dec.- March, and the second time during the "Dog Days" of Summer which came earlier this year. Gonna have heat index of 105 - 110 for the upcoming weekend.

I am with you my friend...At 78 my age is starting to change a lot of things in my life including riding on days over 80 degrees...Just gets to hot in traffic for me. When I ride I want to enjoy the experience and not get hot, uncomfortable and be miserable!!!!....Regards and ride safe

edgeman55
06-28-2018, 07:48 PM
Anything from 50-75 degrees is perfect but I can manage pretty well up to 90 degrees.Nice thing about living here in Northern Nevada is that at my 5000ft elevation it can get to 100 degrees but a 30 minute ride up to Tahoe or above will cool down 20 degrees and make the ride tolerable again-only problem is on the way back down later in the day that 100+ really hits hard again.

xgringo
06-28-2018, 08:13 PM
A couple of years ago on a ride south to Mazatlan I started the day normally enough in Utah riding south toward Nogales. As I got closer to Tuscan the temp started to rise reaching 115 on the f6b thermo and stayed there for a solid hour and a half. Tuscan ain't big but stuck in that rush hour traffic it was the closest to an emergency I've ever experienced. So this August the wife and I are doing Vegas, she takes the scheduled airline and I take the blazing saddles flight on the f6b. Anyway, check out this vest. Some of the reviewers are bikers. I bought one and I'm impressed. I haven't used it yet but they tell you to soak it before it's first use. It took over 24 hours to dry outside in the back yard. Of course it will take less time in the wind but I'm optimistic. I'll also get a camel back. That is the second link below.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004VMF206/ref=twister_B00DMDY3BE?th=1&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/Vibrelli-Hydration-Pack-Bladder-Anti-Microbial/dp/B01LLO83WA/ref=sr_1_9?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1529454114&sr=1-9&keywords=hydration+pack

Ixol Phaane
06-28-2018, 10:43 PM

Az wingrider

Well said! I agree 100°! 😉

Az Wingrider
06-29-2018, 09:19 AM
Xgringo,

The cooling vest is a very good idea. As I mentioned in an earlier post I wear one myself. The one I have has a mandarin collar which helps a lot. I wet mine at every stop. I also strongly recommend a neck wrap. I use an Endura cool most of the time but I also have a HyperKewl with the beads. Having something around your neck makes a tremendous difference because it cools the blood going to your head because the Carotid artery is very close to the surface in your neck. Also if you can keep a bottle of water within reach you can pour that on your neck and shoulders to re wet your vest an neck wrap as you are riding. The camelback is also a great thing when riding. Not waiting until you stop to drink is very helpful in avoiding dehydration.

Travel safe and enjoy
Az Wingrider

xgringo
06-29-2018, 10:56 AM
Hi AZ Wingrider!!

Thanks for the info, Just ordered a Chill Pal neck wrap. See you in Cortez!!

Tom

grendl
06-29-2018, 06:43 PM
I have ridden at 107F across Kansas in direct sun. I had a 'Heat out" shirt under my jacket but ended up taking the jacket off and folding my Air Wings in. The shirt makes you sweat then uses the moving air to cool you down. It actually worked !Still hot but not unbearable. Stopped for water and shade more than I would have normally.

NMRed
06-29-2018, 09:27 PM
+1 to everything AZ Wingrider said plus I add a Bohn skull cap soaked in water under the helmet, and if it's really hot 105+ a cloth bag of ice between the cool vest and mesh jacket works wonders.

Az Wingrider
06-30-2018, 08:58 AM
I have also on occasion put ice in zip lock bags and put them under my jacket and they do help a lot. You just have to get past the initial shock.

motozeke
07-01-2018, 08:36 AM
The downside of that massive fairing and the ------- is that not enough air flow hits my torso for cooling when the temps get into the 80s and beyond. Honestly when I move to the Sierra foothills (next year or two, God willing) I'm going to get a naked bike for the summer heat. An evaporative cooling vest and a mesh jacket should do the trick with all that airflow.

1951vbs
07-03-2018, 09:19 AM
Great concept. The veskimo is built similar to a heated vest but instead of having a heating element it has small tubing that circulates chilled water from a cooler. It comes with a 12-volt pump you hook to the battery. It works great until the ice melts....and that is the problem. I used it for my commute and froze larger chunks of ice that wouldn't melt as fast and did the same thing in the lunch room freezer at work. That worked fine but really wasn't worth the hassle for a 30 min trip. The bigger problem is on a trip if you stop to fill it up with a bag of ice it only lasts about an hour. Finding bigger blocks of ice while on the road is tough. I think all this solution needs to be a winner is a Yeti style cooler. The other thing I wish they had was a helmet liner utilizing the same concept. I would buy an extra helmet a size larger just to accommodate it.

http://www.veskimo.com/

OlyF6B
07-03-2018, 10:54 AM
Lots of good suggestions (posts). I've used "neck wraps (https://polarbreezebandanas.com/)" for years. Once they are "hydrated" - they are great for cooling the blood flowing through your carotid arteries.

Neck wraps aside, as previously mentioned, some common sense techniques help reduce heat fatigue...

I just got back from a 2,200 mile ride with 5 friends -- where ambient temps reached the mid-to-high 80's by late-afternoon. We were all hydrating well. However, the guys I rode with were all about half-helmets and going sleeveless (jacket-less) when it got warm/hot. They not only got sun burnt (even with use of sunscreen - spf 40+), but severely dehydrated b/c of all the exposed skin. I wore a full face helmet and a medium weight textile jacket (with lots of vents) and was just fine. On the hottest day, I dumped some water on my tee-shirt... and when "at speed..." the air flowing through the jacket vents actually created a cooling effect that lasted for almost 90 minutes until the shirt dried.

Law369
07-03-2018, 09:07 PM
It works. I wore it from Philly to Vegas last year. It really helped.

STRaider
07-04-2018, 07:31 AM
When I had a bike with a tank bag, I used a mini pressurized misting bottle. Holds about 32 ounces I believe, and I would pump it up before I left, and would leave the hose accessible through a small hole in the zipper of the tank bag, sticking out just a bit. Every so often, I could grab the hose and mist myself, even my face with a full face on.
I remember it helping, but haven't used it the the f6b, as I have no tank bag.

TerryDavid
07-04-2018, 04:40 PM
Coming home from the mines in the North it was 50 degrees Celcius
Thats hot
Drink water and dont ride into ther sun