PDA

View Full Version : Seeking opinions from those who own both the F6B and the F6C

JGF6B
07-01-2018, 04:27 PM
So, I've been toying with the idea of trading my 2013 F6B for a 2018 wing tour but I can't swallow the poor value of my F6B and the high price of the '18 wing. Plan B is to get an alternate bike in addition to the F6B and contemplate the F6B to wing tour change in the future. I just sold my FJR so I'm down to one bike (me oh my).
I'd like something naked, somewhat sporty with lots of wind. I want to feel wind everywhere. This will be my 'perfect weather' bike. When it get too cold, I'll ride the F6B. When the little lady wants to tag along, I'll ride the F6B. Right now I'm always hoping for more wind when riding the B in hot weather.
I was down at the dealer checking out Kawi Z650, Z900, and Honda CB650, CB1000. I like the feel of the CBs over the Kawi. But then I sat on an F6C.... winner, winner. They have 2014 left overs discounted significantly so I'm seriously considering adding one to the garage.
I know some of you B owners also own Cs. Will you provide some opinions? Will I gain significant wind compared the the B? Will most of the wind on the C be coming off the radiators (hot)?
Any other opinions about the C are welcome.

thanks in advance.

wjduke
07-01-2018, 04:36 PM
Jim, my friend in CT has one. Dave Reed. That's the stripped version of the B right? I can text you his number. let me know.

JGF6B
07-01-2018, 05:56 PM
Hi Wayne,
It is the stripped version but slightly different rake/trail, different wheels, about 90 lbs less weight. I love the engine in the F6B, just hoping for lots of wind on beautiful days.
They will let me test ride, was hoping for opinions of experienced owners of both the F6B and F6C. I don't want to end up wondering why I have two bikes (again).

Jim

Verismo
07-01-2018, 06:47 PM
Hey Jim, I had an F6C for about 10,000 miles before I sold it to buy the B and I have zero regrets. Before I say anything about the difference in bikes, what kind of windshield are you running on the B? I have a Mad5tad with an 11 inch shield and in it's lowest position, provides both great protection AND the nice feeling of still being on a motorcycle. HIGHLY recommend.

As to the bikes, there are lots of things I liked about the C, but there were a few that I really didn't enjoy. Chiefly, for me, the reach to the bars and the angle of the grips SUCKS on the Valk(I'm 6', 31 inch inseam), and it's a rather more bothersome pain in the ass to change than it should be, in my opinion. Some guys on the Valk forum went as far as to cut the electronics control lines, add more wiring, create custom mounts and bars, etc., just to address this. I think there might be a couple of work-arounds to this, but I didn't want to spend the time and possible expense without knowing for sure, when the B fit me as well as it does. Exacerbating this problem is the throttle response. The mechanisms that control the throttle on the B are slightly more refined than on the C, (once again, detailed explanations available over at the VRCC forum), and so the throttle is all around not as much snappier, as it is "jerkier". Also, the transmissions are the same between the B and C, so if you think 1st is short on the B, wait till you get on the same bike 90 pounds lighter. It feels like it's geared to climb a tree. Way too short, and Honda should've ponied up for a different gearing setup, once again, purely in my opinion.

That being said, the Valk was a fun bike to ride on short jaunts. The wind pressure is substantial with no shield, but it is an incredibly satisfying view from the cockpit. Like riding atop a futuristic raging bull. Despite my serious dislikes of a couple of its features, if money were no object, I'd own one again just to futz with the bars to see if I could get them right. But being that money is definitely an object for me, I absolutely love my B. Good luck! Yours is a good dilemma to have!

Jason

JGF6B
07-01-2018, 07:18 PM
Jason / Verismo,
Thanks much, this is exactly the feedback I'm seeking.
I'm 5'9" with an 11" ------- on my B but I'm still begging for more wind when it is hot but less wind when it is cold.
The first gear comment interests me greatly because I too believe the 1st gear on the B is terrible. If it is worse on the C.....
Also, ride by wire is one of the things that has me very interested in the '18 Wing. The throttle control on my '13 FJR was superior to the F6b. Not sure I want to take a step backward there.
If nothing else, I'll have to pay very special attention to the ergos during the test ride. Sitting on the showroom floor I didn't notice any issues with the bar reach but showroom floor never equals real riding position.
Thanks much for your response. This will help me focus on the correct area during the test ride.

Kokomo Kevin
07-01-2018, 07:45 PM
Cant say anything about the 1800 F6C, as I dont have one but have a 1500 F6C that is the stable mate to my F6B. I love them both and ride each one for different reasons. I am on other forum devoted to both the 1500 and 1800 versions of the F6C. Most really like the newer version, but I hear lots about lack of much aftermarket parts to customize your ride for personal preference. the 1500 is long in the tooth now but still has a pretty good aftermarket customization parts base, and they are cheaper to buy than the 1800 F6C, but I would try one in the future.

olegoat345
07-01-2018, 09:18 PM
Buy the 14 "C" you'll love it. They need to get rid of it, steal it if you can. Try to get then to throw in the extended warranty. The C's handle & ride great & are wicked fast. A buddy has one & you can't pry him off it.

Joflewbyu2
07-01-2018, 10:47 PM
I had a F6C 14 Valkyrie for 2 years before getting my F6B. I like wearing a 1/2 helmet so I had to get the tall windshield which worked out great. I also did saddlebags for convenience around town and LED fog lights for better illumination at night as well as visibility during the day. The F6B has much better illumination at night with the stock halogen bulbs than the Valkyrie’s LED setup. The bags are also larger too while being secure. The F6B sits lower to the ground (due to 1” smaller wheels) and has a lower center of gravity (due to the fuel tank location) than the Valkyrie so to me the bike handles better and is more maneuverable. I really like the audio unit built into the F6B and that was the main reason for looking for a replacement from the Valkyrie. My previous bike was a HD FLTP and I really liked having a fairing and radio.

If I was to get a 2nd bike, it would be a CB1100 for the retro look and wind in the face. The Kawasaki ZL900 retro is cool too.

If if you want more wind in your face, get the OEM Honda Accessory Tall Windscreen with adjustable Vent. Aim it upward to keep the wind from buffeting behind the screen and open for cool ventilation during hot weather. After trying several windshields, I would never buy one without a vent again.

Hope this his insight helps.

JGF6B
07-02-2018, 04:10 AM
Thanks for all the replies. I see a test ride in my future. It doesn't look like there are many aftermarket options available so it better fit me well from the start.

Verismo
07-02-2018, 04:55 AM
Glad you found the info helpful, Jim. Good luck and happy miles either way!

Jason

jmdaniel
07-02-2018, 11:12 AM
Why did you sell the FJR? The F6B and FJR are the combo in my garage, and I like it!

tenxxx
07-02-2018, 03:27 PM
The short first gear is perfect for trailer towing. I take off in second most of the time. No trailer.
When riding with Harleys my second gear seems close to their first.
There are some instances where first works great. Like taking off going up hill.
Happens a lot over here in northeastern Ohio.
I can take off in first with NO throttle. Even second gear takes off easy.
Love my B

JGF6B
07-02-2018, 04:53 PM
The short first gear is perfect for trailer towing. I take off in second most of the time. No trailer.
When riding with Harleys my second gear seems close to their first.
There are some instances where first works great. Like taking off going up hill.
Happens a lot over here in northeastern Ohio.
I can take off in first with NO throttle. Even second gear takes off easy.
Love my B

Yep, with my B I've taken off in first with no throttle, shifted to second, then shifted to third before it started to bog down a little, all with no throttle on level ground.

JGF6B
07-02-2018, 04:59 PM
Why did you sell the FJR? The F6B and FJR are the combo in my garage, and I like it!

The FJR just wan't the perfect bike for me. I found I was riding the FJR with my full faced helmet when the weather was cooler, and riding the F6B with half helmet when warmer. I'm fine with the B in cooler weather as well but I want more wind for hotter weather, and neither the B nor the FJR provide the amount of wind I'm seeking.
I'm sure I'll miss the FJR on occasion, I may even end up with one again in the future.

thunder217
07-02-2018, 06:01 PM
The F6B is the cream of the crop and for a bar hopper I acquired a nearly new Nightrod to let me feel the wind when I want to. And how often is that. The F6B is perfect for almost all occasions. 5394

VStarRider
07-02-2018, 08:39 PM
To the original poster: Have you looked at an Indian Scout? It might be exactly what you are looking for.

Blk6bgg6
07-04-2018, 12:42 PM
Ditto the scout,I bought the bobber version then stage 1 .wow what a hoot wind in face bike.I will not ever vtwin abig bike again but indian scout line is great bar or up town ripper.Shoot I go out with other type bikes sportsters etc and this scout clearly is on another level. Check em out

DarkKnt
07-04-2018, 01:56 PM
As a lucky guy with more than one bike, my only comment is why would you want 2 bikes that are so similar? I rode the new Valk once when the F6B was in the shop; Didn't really appreciate any difference in the experience - except feeling uncomfortable with the (questionable) styling... Go full naked - either sport or cruiser. The Indian tracker that's just been announced would be high on my list. Marital discord would be next on the list however....

JGF6B
07-05-2018, 08:44 PM
I appreciate the suggestions but I think I'm done with V twin cruisers for a while. I can't even stand the parallel twin naked bikes. I need smooth power.
Today I test rode the Valkyrie and the CB650F. The Valkyrie was better than I expected.
The CB650F was the most comfortable sport bike I've ever ridden but it still felt like a moped after my F6B and the Valkyrie. If there was a CB1000F I might choose it. The CB1000R isn't upright enough for me since I'm old and out of shape.
The CB1100 air cooled unit was too expensive and not comfortable enough. I think the target crowd is folks who miss their 70s CB bike.
I test rode the Valkyrie again, searching for something to dislike, especially reach to handlebars, but I really liked it. My biggest complaint is that I think the the foot pegs are too far forward, which isn't surprising since I think the F6B pegs are a little too far forward. Placing my feet on the passenger pegs of the Valk is almost perfect so I have many options once I add highway pegs. I'm sure I'll still put more miles on the F6B each year but I'm liking the Valk as a 'perfect weather' bike.
I may still check out the Z900.

bigpick
07-14-2018, 02:24 PM
I have a 2015 f6c and the heat goes out to the side, nor back. Im looking at selling mine and buying a f6b. only a little over 1000 miles on it with almost 3 years warranty left on it. It is the red with a 15in. Gustafsson windshield, nelson-rig tailbag and wheel stripes.

oldxtreme
07-28-2018, 03:20 PM
Sounds like you need to jump on a VTX 1800 C. Mine has 80,000 miles on it and runs great. A different ride than the F6B, still heavy in the lean but with the right pipes, no windshield and a right wrist that wants to go WFO, you will not find a better ride! However, if speed and acceleration in not your thing, look elsewhere because that is what the 1800 is all about.

Ask Big Larry!

They are going for nothing, since Honda discontinued the line. Really, a great ride!

BIGLRY
07-29-2018, 11:45 AM
Sounds like you need to jump on a VTX 1800 C. Mine has 80,000 miles on it and runs great. A different ride than the F6B, still heavy in the lean but with the right pipes, no windshield and a right wrist that wants to go WFO, you will not find a better ride! However, if speed and acceleration in not your thing, look elsewhere because that is what the 1800 is all about.

Ask Big Larry!

They are going for nothing, since Honda discontinued the line. Really, a great ride!Hehe, I love my VTX1800 stock and not so stock(I own 3 of them) my 03 "C" OEM stock engine with turbo VTX (160 RWHP) is a blast and so much fun I'm building another turbo VTX1800 with an highly modded engine set up to make 170/200 RWHP depending on how much boost I run.
http://www.californiavtxriders.com/phpBB3/gallery/image12494.jpg
http://www.californiavtxriders.com/phpBB3/gallery/image10994.jpg
http://www.californiavtxriders.com/phpBB3/gallery/image5044.jpg
http://www.californiavtxriders.com/phpBB3/gallery/image5183.jpg

perohijo
07-29-2018, 05:44 PM
I really never gave much thought about the first gear since I always start on second gear. In all honesty, second gear provides more than enough power and torque to get the bike moving. I should know since I live in West Virginia. I think that the only thing that bothers me a little is the fact that the F6B should have come with 6 gears instead the over drive, just my opinion. Many times I feel like I'm missing a gear and try to go for it just to realize I'm already in fifth.

DaWadd
07-30-2018, 07:55 AM
Thats an awesome looking "X" Must be so much fun.
Hehe, I love my VTX1800 stock and not so stock(I own 3 of them) my 03 "C" OEM stock engine with turbo VTX (160 RWHP) is a blast and so much fun I'm building another turbo VTX1800 with an highly modded engine set up to make 170/200 RWHP depending on how much boost I run.
http://www.californiavtxriders.com/phpBB3/gallery/image12494.jpg
http://www.californiavtxriders.com/phpBB3/gallery/image10994.jpg
http://www.californiavtxriders.com/phpBB3/gallery/image5044.jpg
http://www.californiavtxriders.com/phpBB3/gallery/image5183.jpg

BIGLRY
07-30-2018, 12:21 PM
Thats an awesome looking "X" Must be so much fun.Yea...literally a kick in the pants if ya know what I mean, a real E ticket ride.
.score10/10

oldxtreme
07-31-2018, 12:40 PM
Holy Crap, Biglry, that is not a VTX-C that has to be a VT XXX.

I just rode my F6B from Ohio to LA. The ride was great but California traffic...I think I walked the bike more than rode it down the interstate. You must have a secret place to ride a turbo'd X in CA!

Sweet tail light!

BIGLRY
07-31-2018, 01:23 PM
Holy Crap, Biglry, that is not a VTX-C that has to be a VT XXX.

I just rode my F6B from Ohio to LA. The ride was great but California traffic...I think I walked the bike more than rode it down the interstate. You must have a secret place to ride a turbo'd X in CA!

Sweet tail light!Naw.... here is a real VTXXX, build by a friend of mine, Blown and chain drive.
http://www.californiavtxriders.com/phpBB3/gallery/image14197.jpg
http://www.californiavtxriders.com/phpBB3/gallery/image14196.jpg
http://www.californiavtxriders.com/phpBB3/gallery/image14195.jpg

Oh, and I don't live near any of them big cities(Central Coast, Pismo Beach) so I have plenty of great coastal and mountain roads to ride all year round.

oldxtreme
08-02-2018, 09:57 AM
JOHN DEERE GREEN... That is a two wheeled tractor! Is it used to retrieve 81 wheelers from ditches?

Any idea what the top speed is or better question, how fast has the right wrist let it go?

2wheelsforme
08-02-2018, 10:18 AM
I really enjoy my VTX 1800. Single seat no windshield and a very different ride from the B. It has been trouble free.