PDA

View Full Version : Linked brakes and gravel roads

Frye
07-01-2018, 09:46 PM
One of the few things I don't care much for on my new F6B is the linked brakes. I ride Indiana's gravel roads pretty frequently and there are times when doing so that I prefer to use my rear brake only. Yesterday was a good example. I rode the F6B to my inlaws yesterday. I'd ridden my Valk there many times, even riding it to our deer camp and once even taking a deer head to a taxidermist on the Valk.

Yesterday's ride involved about 5 miles of alternating sections of thick, loose, large gravel (1"-3") somewhat rutted by Amish buggies, many hills, an off camber paved corner covered with gravel and at the end of the line, my in-laws steep, curved gravel drive. The lower section of which has flooded 3 times recently and consisted of rocks up to maybe 5" in diameter interspersed in a layer of thin gravel over mud. Going up wasn't too big a deal although it did involve some fishtailing, spinning and rutting.

Before heading home I smoothed up the ruts I made somewhat with a garden rake. Going down involved riding the back brake to the point of sliding as I rode down the step, loose, rutted and cambered hill. I've done it many times on the Valk, but I was worried about the linked brakes this time around.

What I ran into was basically a pogo effect. As in, as I put more pressure on the back brake the front brake would come into play, the forks would compress somewhat and the front end would be about to slide. Then I'd let off the rear brake, the forks would rebound, the bike would speed up immediately of course, requiring me to get back on the rear brake and start the cycle over again. My youngest son, who had ridden his Valk there confirmed visually what I felt from the saddle.

Has anyone else experienced this and what did you do about it if so?

My motorcycle is my primary mode of transportation. I have several cages of course but I prefer not to drive them if it can be avoided and I expect to be riding these same roads and drives for another 20 years. Ideas? Is it somehow rider error? Is there a specific technique for riding bikes with linked brakes in these conditions? Thanks in advance.

STRaider
07-02-2018, 06:28 AM
The F6B seems less than ideal for riding gravel roads frequently. The weight alone would be of concern. Do you have a different bike to ride those roads with?

jm21ddd15
07-02-2018, 07:24 AM
[QUOTE=STRaider;167975]The F6B seems less than ideal for riding gravel roads frequently. The weight alone would be of concern.
I agree. Unfortunately for you, Frye, this bike was not designed for gravel roads. Maybe a Honda African Twin, would work out better for you. The F6 is a great bike, but it is not a great dirt/gravel bike.

jmdaniel
07-02-2018, 07:25 AM
Like most fellas here are probably thinking, the one question you need to ask is, "do I really have to visit my in-laws?" :p

Travelor
07-02-2018, 08:05 AM
Why not just use the engine braking and clutch to control the rear wheel. Put it in 1st, and instead of the brake use idle engine speed and feather the clutch to control your speed.

Navvet
07-02-2018, 10:55 AM
I have a mile and a half gravel road to my house with several steep grades. It starts out with an 18 to 20 deg grade going up from the paved road.

I keep the bike in 1st gear up and down with a light touch on the brakes. Dark sideing also helps on the gravel. Better traction with the car tire.

P.Sutton
07-02-2018, 12:29 PM
My father totaled his 08 wing on a gravel road. There was flat light and a hump in the road that unloaded the suspension enough to lock the front tire and wash it out while braking with the rear brake. He was unaware the brakes were linked at the time and had only had the wing a couple months.

F6Bster
07-02-2018, 12:55 PM
I have a mile and a half gravel road to my house with several steep grades. It starts out with an 18 to 20 deg grade going up from the paved road.

I keep the bike in 1st gear up and down with a light touch on the brakes. Dark sideing also helps on the gravel. Better traction with the car tire.

I WOULD NOT LIKE that lower, steep section!!!!

3Chief
07-02-2018, 01:08 PM
I dislike the linked brake system for similar reasons. There are many situations where you want to feather one break or the other and the linked system doesn't allow it. I've heard HD's linked brake disengages at speeds under 25 mph and my Concours allows me to turn them off all together. Seems Honda could've come up with something better.

Frye
07-02-2018, 03:58 PM

Thanks for the info. My Valkyrie is a darkside bike and does well on gravel roads. I hadn't planned on darksiding the F6B because I'm happy with the handling as it is. Might have to reconsider it though after this. Thanks again.

Radical Taz
07-02-2018, 05:08 PM
:Sounds like you have a chance to become the “Favorite” by paving that driveway.:winnergold1:

Navvet
07-02-2018, 06:05 PM
I WOULD NOT LIKE that lower, steep section!!!!

A Harley rider I know said "he had never seen a goldwing dirtbike'

2wheelsforme
07-02-2018, 08:29 PM

Navvet
07-02-2018, 10:40 PM

Good one ....

I'll have to keep that one for the nay-sayers :crackup::crackup:

indadman
07-11-2018, 12:49 PM
Jeff,

I have seen a few of your posts, and really enjoy your sense of humor!