PDA

View Full Version : Damn helmet selection too many!

JimBob1
11-14-2013, 05:19 PM
Looking to purchase a new helmet. Have narrowed it down, I think, to the Shoei Qwest, J Cruisde, or Nolan N43 Trilogy, maybe! The problem for me is that I have read too many helmet reviews, and watched too many videos on helmets to just pull the trigger on a purchase. So I thought I would seek some input from members of this forum. I have been riding Harleys for years and like the open road feeling, wind in my face, smells, sights and such when riding, to a point. Bought a cheap Bilt modular and it was okay, I rode in it all day but felt a little claustrophobic and detached from the riding experience that I have been use to. I know that full face provides the most protection, and is the quietest of all the current designs. I like the idea a lot of having protection from the elements when it rains or gets cold out, but I would like more wind in my face during the warmer weather. I know that fit, comfort, and protection are the most important elements for helmets. Any suggestions, personal experiences, and opinions are most welcome.

opas ride
11-14-2013, 05:50 PM
I have heard the ShoeiQwest is a great helmet..Personally I have found the best for me with the best price is HJC 3/4 with adjustable face shield and internal drop-down sun shade....Don't remember the model N#...I cannot wear a full face unit due to claustrophobic issues.

1951vbs
11-14-2013, 07:45 PM
About 15 years ago I "forced" myself to get used to full-face helmets and now don't know what I would do without it. Even with my shorty wind screen: Rain, no problem...Cold, no problem...Hot, remove face sheild. What I did find was the lightest full face made and also the one with the largest window port. These are 1-2# lighter than most helmets. Full Carbon NEXX XR1R. Not cheap but either is your head. http://www.nexx-usa.com/product.php?productid=1765&cat=43&page=1 I bought my last one at Competition Accesories for 40% off.

Scotrod
11-14-2013, 10:30 PM
Of the 3 you mentioned, I have the J Cruise.

Only ~caveat~ I have with it is I sometimes wish they had shield detents so I could ride with it 'open' just a bit without it eventually moving towards shut.

Great Ventilation.

Also have an RF-1100. No real complaints there, but 6 vents each with their own separate slider is a bit of an adventure,,,

Not sure of your schedule,,,,,, But if memory serves, the RF1100 came out just before the Quest. Shoei released the RF-1100's replacement recently, the RF-1200.

Unclear if the Quests replacement is 'next', but Shoei has been pretty good about bringing new models out ~fairly~ often.

I believe it was RF-1100, Quest, Neotec, GT Air, J-cruise, (or J-Cruise then GT air) and the latest, the RF-1200. I'm patiently waiting to see what the next version of the 'quest' will be,,,

jkelley
11-15-2013, 06:05 AM
I have been running full face mostly for years, and especially in cold weather. The only thing I would recommend is to go to a large dealer that has many on display and try each one on. Shoei helmets are top of the line but they tend to fit rounder heads better, Arai on the other hand fits more oblong shapes better. Flip up's or modular tend to fit close to the chin when closed increasing the fogging issues and they are noisier. Keep in mind if you feel any pressure points the helmet is not for you because in a short fitting if it don't feel right, it sure wont feel good a few hours into a ride. Then you got the options of Bluetooth, sunshades etc, and now designs that are said to be coming with heads up displays etc. I understand your frustration but long story short not one is good for all, and you just have to pick what you like. Keep in mind the ease of changing the face shield, replacement costs and available pin locks or anti fog devices. One of my friends even runs a snow mobile helmet with a heated face shield and loves it. Looks kinda strange but as long as it works for him all is good.

Hornblower
11-15-2013, 08:46 AM
Looking to purchase a new helmet. Have narrowed it down, I think, to the Shoei Qwest, J Cruisde, or Nolan N43 Trilogy, maybe!

I can comment on the N43 Trilogy for you. Overall, I have enjoyed this helmet, mainly for it's versatility. The fact that you can convert from 3/4 open face to full helmet with chin bar is pretty cool. Of course, the included drop-down sun visor is extremely handy. In addition, J&M makes a headset that fits this helmet perfectly. On the minus side, don't expect this helmet to have the same build quality of a much more expensive helmet but it is acceptable, IMHO. Also, I had a huge problem with this helmet pressing in on my ears (very painful after a few hours) but that was alleviated by doing some minor surgery on the hard foam liner. Would I buy this helmet again? Probably so.

Scotrod
11-15-2013, 11:22 AM
I used to dread any type of 'personal' adjustment' of the foam on a helmet.

I've 'spooned' em before, but I've found 40 grit used sparingly it a whole lot easier and the end result is more comfortable.

IMHO, spooning creates hard spots,,, Light sanding removes material without compressing what's left behind.

If minor adjustment is required, get it close with the 40. The 'soft stuff' left behind will conform to your head with repeated use.

Mustangjake
11-15-2013, 10:29 PM
Helmets are a pain in the a$$ I have tried so many it is crazy a bell 500 xl will fit but I can't believe a helmet that cheap can be that good. I bought a Arai 2X 3/4 it's will not fit at all. Sent back bought a shoei 3X 3/4 we we'll see if it fits.
I found a HJC modular 4X it fits it seems cheaply made.
I wear a Daytona carbon 2X and it is 2 big it is a half helmet .
I tried to find a nexx 70 it a nice helmet

Gonzo
11-16-2013, 09:03 AM
Looking to purchase a new helmet. Have narrowed it down, I think, to the Shoei Qwest, J Cruisde, or Nolan N43 Trilogy, maybe! The problem for me is that I have read too many helmet reviews, and watched too many videos on helmets to just pull the trigger on a purchase. So I thought I would seek some input from members of this forum. I have been riding Harleys for years and like the open road feeling, wind in my face, smells, sights and such when riding, to a point. Bought a cheap Bilt modular and it was okay, I rode in it all day but felt a little claustrophobic and detached from the riding experience that I have been use to. I know that full face provides the most protection, and is the quietest of all the current designs. I like the idea a lot of having protection from the elements when it rains or gets cold out, but I would like more wind in my face during the warmer weather. I know that fit, comfort, and protection are the most important elements for helmets. Any suggestions, personal experiences, and opinions are most welcome.

I had the Arai quantum F helmet ,I have since purchased the new Arai Signet Q model I have both the dark tint and the clear shields for it. Love the dark lens it work for almost all conditions except night. I also have the sen a bluetooth on the side. I have always owned Harley's and never wore a helmet in less law required it.I started doing a lot of traveling this summer and put the helmet on the first day because of the rain and never took t off after that.My best advice to you is depending wear you live might be a cycle gear or some wear they have a a lot of helmets to try on.What seems to be the right fit might not be.I think fit and quality and weight is the first thing then road noise how quite it is when on.Best off luck yo you on your decisions.

Mustangjake
11-17-2013, 09:56 PM
Cycle Gear had a lot of helmets none seemed as high a Quality as I was looking for but there 2X did fit and $89.00

JimBob1
11-18-2013, 05:55 PM
I want to thank opas ride, 1951vbs, scotrod, Jkelley, Hornblower, Mustangjake, and Gonzo for replying to my thread on helmets. I guess what I will do is wait until Christmas is over and see if any of the big vendors put some of their inventory on sale. I am going to go to one of the big gear stores, as suggested, and try on a variety of helmets. I plan on purchasing the one that fits and feels the best on my melon. Hopefully, it won't be one of the $600 variety. Again, thanks everyone!!!

Scotrod
11-18-2013, 08:56 PM
As mentioned before, lotsa variation between manufacturers on sizing.

Last weekend,,, found out I can slip on a 2XL Shoei Quest easily, but a 3XL Icon Armada will not begin to pass over my cranium without a full head shave and ear removal! :shock:

Try on as many as possible, and don't feel shy about wearing em around the store for a while.

Sales:

Eh, many top brands have MAP policies. (Minimum advertised pricing) Typically, 'sale' or not, the price in an advertisement cannot be listed lower than MAP, UNLESS it's a closeout/discontinued model.

10% below MSRP is where a lot of the MAP prices run.

Also remember, advertised pricing and 'asking a Vendor for the best price' are 2 different things.My wife got a current model Shoei at a local Honda dealer who gave her 15% off MSRP that way. :yes:

Mustangjake
11-21-2013, 08:11 PM
We'll my SHOEI RJ Platinum-R Matte Black 3XL showed up today and it fit :8:

Scotrod
11-21-2013, 09:37 PM
We'll my SHOEI RJ Platinum-R Matte Black 3XL showed up today and it fit :8:

Any plans for a visor/shield for the new R?

Mustangjake
11-22-2013, 08:27 PM
I just use a visor in the summer put u can replace it for winter. I have a carbon 1/2 that I been using with my electric glide and when I bought the F6b I seen its short comings.
And because I have used a 3/4 for 45 years I just felt safer I think. :banghead:

JimBob1
11-23-2013, 04:05 PM
Man, some of you dudes got some big old heads, talkin 2XL and 3XL. I have been trying on medium and large helmets, starting to feel like a small headed creature out of beetlejuice. Seriously, thanks again for all the suggestions.

Scotrod
11-23-2013, 08:55 PM
I just use a visor in the summer put u can replace it for winter. :

I pulled the shield off my JCruise and ran with just the drop down visor. (11 inch Bagger-shield on bike). Seemed to be a great combination.

Having some noise issues with the JCruise with it's shield installed/lowered under same conditions. (Thundering noise)

Sounds strange, I know (Adjusted/sealed,,, just keeps coming,,, Might be a side-effect of me head-butting a semi with it last spring :shock:)

So,,, After riding with 'just' the drop down on the J-Cruise (and liking the breeze!) I've been thinking about the Platinum RJ with a 'simple' snap on eye protection.

Hmmmm

BubbaJePH
11-23-2013, 08:59 PM
Lucky you have a choice. My fire department went to a different fire helmet years ago. They had to special order a helmet for me, my brother and another well crowned fire fighter. I have a hard time finding a helmet to fit. Mostly I wear my 1/2 helmet.

No wonder they call me bucket head.

Scotrod
11-23-2013, 09:00 PM
Man, some of you dudes got some big old heads, talkin 2XL and 3XL. I have been trying on medium and large helmets

Consider yourself lucky as you have A LOT MORE choices than us 3X'ers,,,!!!! Hard enough to find anything to fit, and forget about any 'cool' colors or graphics,,, It's black, silver or white. (If you're lucky)

Phantom
11-23-2013, 10:01 PM
Consider yourself lucky as you have A LOT MORE choices than us 3X'ers,,,!!!! Hard enough to find anything to fit, and forget about any 'cool' colors or graphics,,, It's black, silver or white. (If you're lucky)

Scotrod, I found one that would work with your little bike and with your crotch rocket.
Just let me borrow it when you're done :poke:---------- :icon_mrgreen: :hippy: We big boys need to stick together :cheers:

Scotrod
11-24-2013, 09:48 AM
Heh heh heh!

Yep!! Bad enough to have just me trying to slip through the air,,, Add a few more inches of helmet to my noggin and :

http://imasinglelondongirl.files.wordpress.com/2012/10/pumpkin-head.jpg