PDA

View Full Version : Dunlop Elite 4 Tires — First Impressions

F6Bster
07-18-2018, 12:14 PM
I’ve put about 2k miles on my first set of Dunlop Elite 4 tires and I do not like them as well as the Bridgestones that came on the bike. I had tried almost all available tires on my 2002 GL1800 and had concluded years ago that my preference was the Bridgestones, but I thought I’d give the Elite 4s a try.

Observations:
—A slight wobble in the 35-50mph range. Not significant, but you can definitely feel it. My OEM Bridgestones were Rick stable at all speeds throughout the 10,500 miles I put on them.
—Really bad on tire snakes. That was one of the things that I did not like with the Elite 3s so I was hoping the Elite 4s would be better. They aren’t. Hot tar snakes make for a scary feeling. Bridgestones were much better.
—Too much movement on grooved pavement (grooves parallel with the direction of travel). Makes the bike move around to much. Never had this issue with the Bridgestones.
—Handling. The F6 handled great in curves with the Elite 4s. Felt very stable in twisties, high-speed sweepers, and rolling down the highway (if not grooved). Rode a little on damp/wet roads and they seemed to handle the water well. 107 deg temps no problem (except for the tar snakes). Handling as good as but no better than the Bridgestones.
—Expect that the Elite 4 mileage will exceed the Bridgestones, but we shall see. My previous experience with Elite 3s resulted in better mileage than Bridgestones, but the Dunlops also cost more than the Bridgestones.

So, as of right now I expect I’ll go back to the Bridgestones when the Dunlops need to be replaced. My assessment of the Bridgestones is that they provide the best overall characteristics and value for GL1800 bikes.

Your results may be different, but these are my impressions.

2wheelsforme
07-18-2018, 01:25 PM
Thanks for the report, I have not tried the E-4s but used to really like the 3s on another bike. Have you tried the Avon Cobras? I really like them also but they do not get the mileage I would like. I have a set of the Stone OEMs ready to mount soon and will have them for the big trip out your way next month. Both the Stones and the Cobras are much less expensive than the Dunlops, Metzs, Michelin or any of the other big names. I do not consider Shinko at all.

3Chief
07-18-2018, 03:16 PM
I've got over 4k on some Mezzler 888's that are wearing great and handle like a dream.

Ewreck
07-18-2018, 04:13 PM
I've got over 4k on some Mezzler 888's that are wearing great and handle like a dream.

How do they handle the tar snakes?

Az Wingrider
07-18-2018, 05:03 PM
My experience with Dunlop Elite 4s has been nothing but positive. I just replaced a set that had 19,200 miles on them and they still had some miles left in them. The reason I replaced them is because I am leaving on a long ride Monday. I have never experienced any problems in handling or had any front end wobble. I have followed some friends on grooved pavement in west Texas and they were a lot more squirmy than I was, but two of them were on Harleys. I have however been uncomfortable on tar snakes but I seem to remember the same feeling on Bridgestones. I haven't ridden on Metzlers for about eight or nine years because I had a set that separated and almost stranded me. D&D Discount Motorcycles in Tempe, Arizona where I purchase my tires told me that these new Elite 4s are probably costing him money because his customers are coming less often for tires.

Different people and different bikes lead to different experiences but I just purchased a new set of Elite 4s and plan on enjoying them for about 20,000 miles

Az Wingrider

F6Bster
07-18-2018, 06:06 PM
AZ, that’s good news. Hoping that they will improve with miles. Folks on the GL1800 forum indicate the grooved pavement characteristic, but said the issue went away once the front tire got a little wear on it, so hopefully that takes care of that. Have not been on grooves since about 1k miles. Will update as I get more miles on them.

Az Wingrider
07-18-2018, 11:10 PM
I hope they do improve for you. If not you will be cussing them for a long time because they wear like iron. As for tar snakes. Every tire on every bike I have ever ridden has been uncomfortable when I encounter tar snakes. When I see tar snakes I tell myself to stay loose and go with it but I always experience that "Ah Crap" moment. If you find a set of tires that feel stable in tar snakes sign me up for a set.

Enjoy your ride and see you next month.

Kolsch
07-19-2018, 02:02 AM
I totally agree with F6Bster, this is my second set of the elite4’s. The first set I got 19k on them I checked the tire pressure every ride 40 front 42 rear. On this set has the same characteristics that F6Bster is talking about 35/40mph wobble, last set never did that. Yes I have the fork brace. Next tires for me will be the Stones.

gadgeteer
07-19-2018, 07:21 AM
Avon front, E-4 rear. 10k miles looks, rides, handles GREAT.

Pumper
07-19-2018, 08:49 AM
Amen..I am on my second set of E4's have had great experiences with them...Stones were crap at 10k...did not like the way they performed and sounded. E4's are a great alternative for me anyway.

olegoat345
07-19-2018, 08:50 AM
I've always had great luck with AVON's … they make a set just for the GW. Call AVON USA for their P/N. Got mine from Dennis Kirk, $303 F&R delivered.

3Chief
07-19-2018, 10:24 AM
How do they handle the tar snakes?

I've had no issues with them on tar snakes what so ever.

STRaider
07-20-2018, 07:38 AM
I’ve put about 2k miles on my first set of Dunlop Elite 4 tires and I do not like them as well as the Bridgestones that came on the bike. I had tried almost all available tires on my 2002 GL1800 and had concluded years ago that my preference was the Bridgestones, but I thought I’d give the Elite 4s a try.

Observations:
—A slight wobble in the 35-50mph range. Not significant, but you can definitely feel it. My OEM Bridgestones were Rick stable at all speeds throughout the 10,500 miles I put on them.
—Really bad on tire snakes. That was one of the things that I did not like with the Elite 3s so I was hoping the Elite 4s would be better. They aren’t. Hot tar snakes make for a scary feeling. Bridgestones were much better.
—Too much movement on grooved pavement (grooves parallel with the direction of travel). Makes the bike move around to much. Never had this issue with the Bridgestones.
—Handling. The F6 handled great in curves with the Elite 4s. Felt very stable in twisties, high-speed sweepers, and rolling down the highway (if not grooved). Rode a little on damp/wet roads and they seemed to handle the water well. 107 deg temps no problem (except for the tar snakes). Handling as good as but no better than the Bridgestones.
—Expect that the Elite 4 mileage will exceed the Bridgestones, but we shall see. My previous experience with Elite 3s resulted in better mileage than Bridgestones, but the Dunlops also cost more than the Bridgestones.

So, as of right now I expect I’ll go back to the Bridgestones when the Dunlops need to be replaced. My assessment of the Bridgestones is that they provide the best overall characteristics and value for GL1800 bikes.

Your results may be different, but these are my impressions.
I have Elite 4's and like them, but reading through your post, I have to agree. I do like the handling through turns, as when I ride, I try to get off of highways, looking for lots of backroads and corners. I will say I have hit some tar snakes and noticed much more of a loose feeling with the E4's, even though I didn't attribute it to the tires, just didn't make the connection. I'm at about 10,000 miles and need to replace them very soon. I don't want to come out and call Bullshit on everyone claiming 19,000 and 20,000 miles on tires, but I just don't see how this is happening. The only thing I can think of is the area ridden (better pavement), slower speeds, not much acceleration? I've never been close to 20,000 miles on a set. I would love to know the secret. I check my air pressures almost everytime I get on the bike. Running 42 rear and 41 front.

olegoat345
07-20-2018, 11:00 AM
Helped a buddy in his MC shop & found Dunlop's have a very hard / stiff sidewall compared to other brands. They tend to wear in the center more so too, perhaps because the sidewall's not flexing. I think all HD's come w/ Dunlop 402 w/ HD's name in the sidewall.

P.Sutton
07-26-2018, 01:05 PM
I have Elite 4's and like them, but reading through your post, I have to agree. I do like the handling through turns, as when I ride, I try to get off of highways, looking for lots of backroads and corners. I will say I have hit some tar snakes and noticed much more of a loose feeling with the E4's, even though I didn't attribute it to the tires, just didn't make the connection. I'm at about 10,000 miles and need to replace them very soon. I don't want to come out and call Bullshit on everyone claiming 19,000 and 20,000 miles on tires, but I just don't see how this is happening. The only thing I can think of is the area ridden (better pavement), slower speeds, not much acceleration? I've never been close to 20,000 miles on a set. I would love to know the secret. I check my air pressures almost everytime I get on the bike. Running 42 rear and 41 front.

I have 14k on my rear e4 at the moment. I am leaving for stugis next week and visually it looks like I will have enough tread, however, like you I have never had a tire last nearly this long on any of my other bikes. It definitely makes me nervous knowing how many miles are on this tire but then I peek under the fender and try to believe what I am seeing. I am on the fence about replacing it early (simply to ease my disbelief) or letting it ride. Have a week to decide.....

wjduke
07-26-2018, 04:28 PM
This may be unbelievable, but Teach's rear E4 is on display at Cycle World in Athens, GA. 22,000 on it. I have a pic somewhere, but not on this pc. She loves the darn things.

P.Sutton
07-30-2018, 08:21 AM
Changing out my rear E4 today. Sticking with the same thing. I am very happy with the tread life and performance of this tire. 15k miles with some life left, but with a big trip coming I am going to swap it out.

GaTeach
08-04-2018, 11:34 PM
22,000 miles on rear E4. I love them.

STRaider
08-05-2018, 08:37 AM
22,000 miles on rear E4. I love them.
That is incredible. After my weekend ride, I am right at 11,000, and wouldn't do more than a day ride on these tires. I will need to replace the rear soon. I used to run Avons on my Valkyrie, I may give those a try again.

BigAl1952
08-05-2018, 11:37 AM
I just put another set of stones on mine. I was right at 9500 miles but with a trip to the black hills last weekend staring me in the face I decided to change. I know if I wasnt going there I could have got 11000 out of those tires. I went with the stones because they worked good for me. I would like to know if anyone running Avons went back to the stones for any reason. I might give those a try next time. Al

Zteve
08-05-2018, 05:45 PM
Throttle and rear tire wear are inversely proportional.

GaTeach
08-06-2018, 06:30 AM
This may be unbelievable, but Teach's rear E4 is on display at Cycle World in Athens, GA. 22,000 on it. I have a pic somewhere, but not on this pc. She loves the darn things.

Yeah. I really do love them. You can tell from the pic that it's not all highway miles. Mostly backroads in the mountains. But I don't get on the throttle when I'm taking off. It's just not the way I ride usually.

STRaider
08-06-2018, 07:03 PM
I didn't want to start a new thread, but was wondering how far down most ride their tires. I have right at 11,000 miles on my E 4's, and they need to be replaced. The rear still has a little groove left, but is well into the wear bar.

Do most ride unitl there is no groove, or replace when the wear bar is still visible? I wouldn't do more than a day ride close to home on these, but am I giving up too soon?

53driver
08-06-2018, 07:12 PM
I didn't want to start a new thread, but was wondering how far down most ride their tires. I have right at 11,000 miles on my E 4's, and they need to be replaced. The rear still has a little groove left, but is well into the wear bar.

Do most ride unitl there is no groove, or replace when the wear bar is still visible? I wouldn't do more than a day ride close to home on these, but am I giving up too soon?

If your riding will keep you near home, you could take 'em down to the barest rubber.
However, most of us use the bike for 100+ rides and that would not be best.

Another take:
Since you are at the wear bars AND you know that - it's time to replace them.
You would be kicking yourself if you had a blowout after knowing that your tires were "technically" worn out.

It's your comfort level.
If I had a small trailer ready to pick me up, and I wasn't scared of a blowout ruining my bike, I would intentionally ride them down.
But I don't, and I am scared of a blowout ruining my bike - saw a pic yesterday of a rear tire blowout basically removing most of the ass end of a B.

Risk management - comes in all shapes and sizes.
What's in your wallet? Lol.
Cheers,
Steve

2wheelsforme
08-06-2018, 07:15 PM
The purpose of the wear bars is to tell you that it is time for new tires, maybe safe to putt around town I guess. I think the limited amount of rubber still on the tire makes it susceptible to heat which also makes the rubber wear faster. Thinner tread also makes it more likely to be damaged by a sharp object and of course the reduced traction should be considered. Extending a tire from 10K to 11K is really not a lot of savings. I have not always felt this way and took chances more often when I was younger and wore then into the treads a few times.

3Chief
08-07-2018, 03:16 PM
I've worn several sets of Mezzlers beyond the tread on my VTX with no ill effects. I wouldn't do it with any other brand of tire though.

Brasco
08-07-2018, 09:57 PM
The purpose of the wear bars is to tell you that it is time for new tires, maybe safe to putt around town I guess. I think the limited amount of rubber still on the tire makes it susceptible to heat which also makes the rubber wear faster. Thinner tread also makes it more likely to be damaged by a sharp object and of course the reduced traction should be considered. Extending a tire from 10K to 11K is really not a lot of savings. I have not always felt this way and took chances more often when I was younger and wore then into the treads a few times.

I came close to disaster when I left on a trip with a rear OEM Stone at 12,000 miles wear. Rear looked good with relatively decent tread life above wear bar. Took the bike into Hell's Canyon in eastern Oregon -- temps in high 90s -- and that tire burned up in no time. During a morning pre-ride inspection found a six inch strip of thread showing down centre of the tire. Personally, if you're at that 11,00 to 12,000 mile mark and heading out on a trip of any duration -- especially one in high temps -- I'd be thinking seriously about new rubber before leaving. Amazing how fast the tire wears as it gets close to the end of it's life. Won't make that mistake again.