PDA

View Full Version : Bluetooth in saddlebag?

coolwazabi
07-21-2018, 05:55 PM
Just curious if there is a way to add Bluetooth to the trunk saddlebag so I can use the hand controls

shortleg0521
07-21-2018, 07:13 PM
I guess you are talking about controls on the bars.
Pardon a Yankee for not understanding at first.

coolwazabi
07-21-2018, 09:40 PM
Yeah sorry. I wanna use my phones music but use the hand controls on the bike.

shortleg0521
07-22-2018, 05:51 AM
Maybe somebody else knows something, but can,t see how.

ReserveBum
07-22-2018, 06:41 AM
you can plug your iphone(or a usb stick) in the bag and wont need bluetooth. You have volume and track control from the bar.

gadgeteer
07-22-2018, 08:01 AM
you can plug your iphone(or a usb stick) in the bag and wont need bluetooth. You have volume and track control from the bar.

Works great!

coolwazabi
07-22-2018, 10:49 AM
I know I can plug it in directly. But I need it in front of me for gps.

Ixol Phaane
07-22-2018, 01:35 PM
I'd suggest using a USB thumb drive/memory stick rather than your phone.
Load it up with many gigs of tunes and leave it plugged into the saddlebag port. Control all the playback from the hand controls.
So easy to replace the tune list if you have your songs on a computer.

OR...
run a USB extension cable from the trunk back up to the front of the bike where your phone will be. Easy.

Ride safe. :)

coolwazabi
07-22-2018, 03:17 PM
Was gonna try to use pandora or a streaming music app to play songs

ReserveBum
07-22-2018, 04:27 PM
you may want to look at the bluetooth communicators like Sena

motornerd
07-22-2018, 04:37 PM
I bought a Bluetooth receiver and plugged it in the saddlebags. Paired the phone and played the GPS directions through the bike speakers. Didn't try to listen to music or use handlebar controls but it was only $8.99 and worked for what I needed. At that price, worth a try.

Woodbe
07-23-2018, 09:22 AM
Can you provide the model of the BT receiver you used . I can't seem to find one that will work with the USB connection alone Thanks

motornerd
07-23-2018, 12:19 PM
TPCROMEER USB Bluetooth receiver on Amazon.

3Chief
07-23-2018, 12:46 PM
There are a few threads on this one of which links to one of the dongles that works. I'll look a bit for the one I use.

3Chief
07-23-2018, 12:49 PM
Here it is, works alright.

https://www.amazon.com/Harryup-Universal-Bluetooth-Wireless-Converter/dp/B06XHL83V2/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1527085369&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=bt+dongle&psc=1

No Handle Sam
07-24-2018, 11:00 AM
I'd suggest using a USB thumb drive/memory stick rather than your phone.
Load it up with many gigs of tunes and leave it plugged into the saddlebag port. Control all the playback from the hand controls.
So easy to replace the tune list if you have your songs on a computer.

OR...
run a USB extension cable from the trunk back up to the front of the bike where your phone will be. Easy.

Ride safe. :)

I tried this just last week and with the extended cable it would not power my iPhone X. :shrug: I have been running with an iPod Nano that I picked up a few years ago exclusively to have it live in the saddlebag for music. But I wanted to start using my phone for the GPS app and thought if I just need to extend the cable I would have a winner. No such luck. Maybe one of the tech guys can chime in as to why this didn't work with the longer cable? BTW... the Nano would work with the longer cable setup. Just not the phone. Which I assume means that the phone requires more power and that's why it didn't work. IDK??

3Chief
07-24-2018, 11:09 AM
I tried this just last week and with the extended cable it would not power my iPhone X. :shrug: I have been running with an iPod Nano that I picked up a few years ago exclusively to have it live in the saddlebag for music. But I wanted to start using my phone for the GPS app and thought if I just need to extend the cable I would have a winner. No such luck. Maybe one of the tech guys can chime in as to why this didn't work with the longer cable? BTW... the Nano would work with the longer cable setup. Just not the phone. Which I assume means that the phone requires more power and that's why it didn't work. IDK??

Does your X work with a short cord in the saddle bag? Are you using an Apple Cord or an aftermarket cord? Personally the BT Dongle I listed earlier and a power port in the cubby have worked fine with my I6. My main issue with the setup is the periotic drop off. My phone in particular seems to be overly sensitive to interference. Generally its not an issue but now and again it will freak out.

I'm not a super tech guy, however I've found that Apple likes to play games with what can connect to their devices and whether or not they will work with aftermarket cords. And it will be random whether or not you update your phone as they push background updates continuously that will cause items that have been working all along to stop.

No Handle Sam
07-24-2018, 11:24 AM
Yes. My iPhone X works with the short cable that I keep in the bag for the Nano. But when you replace the short cable (1') with a longer one (9') the X just "blinks" as if it is being plugged and unplugged rapidly from a charger. But the Nano still works fine with the 9' cable. (Both are 3rd party cables)

3Chief
07-24-2018, 11:26 AM
I'd try it again with an Apple cable. Although you'll pay thru the nose for one that length.

P.Sutton
07-26-2018, 11:06 AM
I also use a cheap Bluetooth dongle in the left saddlebag. I believe you loose some of the menu functions as well as the song and artist displaying on the dash. But with my phone on a ram x-mount near the left grip I can change music and see whatever I need displayed on my I phone. I too loose connection at times but a quick key off and back on usually resets and restores the dongle connection to the bike.

Broken Hand
08-05-2018, 01:09 AM
I also use a cheap Bluetooth dongle in the left saddlebag. I believe you loose some of the menu functions as well as the song and artist displaying on the dash. But with my phone on a ram x-mount near the left grip I can change music and see whatever I need displayed on my I phone. I too loose connection at times but a quick key off and back on usually resets and restores the dongle connection to the bike.

Ditto here. I tried the usb dongle, but the interface was too clunky for my liking.

Pumper
08-06-2018, 09:14 AM
This brand works great with Android also...

tenxxx
08-06-2018, 08:46 PM
Can I plug the input cable in the left pocket into my I6 and have the handlebar controls work?

tenxxx
08-07-2018, 12:09 PM
This did not work on y 13B. The usb symbol showed on the display but the I phone6 said it was not compatible. I used the apple cord that came with the phone. I did get it to work by plugging the phone in the audio input in the left pocket. But had no control over the phone through the bike controls.

gregj
08-07-2018, 01:23 PM
I've tried several USB receivers from Amazon, after a short time they would all quit working, so I've given up on them. I have my iPhone 5s connected via USB to a power port to keep it charged, and the audio jack plugged into the phone. Also been using a bluetooth media button on the left grip to control the phone skip, etc, functions, and volume up/down via bar controls. Works quite well.

3Chief
08-07-2018, 03:06 PM
I've tried several USB receivers from Amazon, after a short time they would all quit working, so I've given up on them. I have my iPhone 5s connected via USB to a power port to keep it charged, and the audio jack plugged into the phone. Also been using a bluetooth media button on the left grip to control the phone skip, etc, functions, and volume up/down via bar controls. Works quite well.

That's odd, I've been using the same one for over 2 years. It's starting to have issues but I cannot tell if it's the dongle or my phone.

tenxxx
08-08-2018, 08:48 AM
My iPhone 6 sounds an alert when its plugged in to a power port, and showes thats it charging. It did that 3 or 4 times before it excepted being plugged in the USB port in the sale bag. I think the power out put there is inadequate. No way to check the output amperage. And it wouldn't play through the Honda audio system. In fact anything Ive plugged in there doesn't work. It starts skipping through songs every few seconds with a variety of different usb sticks.

3Chief
08-08-2018, 09:32 AM
My iPhone 6 sounds an alert when its plugged in to a power port, and showes thats it charging. It did that 3 or 4 times before it excepted being plugged in the USB port in the sale bag. I think the power out put there is inadequate. No way to check the output amperage. And it wouldn't play through the Honda audio system. In fact anything Ive plugged in there doesn't work. It starts skipping through songs every few seconds with a variety of different usb sticks.

Sounds like we have similar setups, I think I tried the I6 in the bag once but didn't like how hot it got. Been using a BT Dongle since with few issues.

shortleg0521
08-15-2018, 03:20 PM
Sena has what they call an sm10 that you can plug your phone into and then play into your headset.
This way you can have phone up front to see gps and play music.

3Chief
08-15-2018, 06:57 PM
Sena has what they call an sm10 that you can plug your phone into and then play into your headset.
This way you can have phone up front to see gps and play music.

But then you cannot use your handle bar controls if I remember correctly.