PDA

View Full Version : Weave wobble

Mooney14
07-21-2018, 10:05 PM
Anyone else experience this at high speeds was going over 100 with my buddy and all sudden handlebars wobbles super bad thought I was going down! Now at 75 mph it doesn’t feel stable brakes rub in rear and tire moves side to side a little when on center stand When I get near 18 wheeler the weaving is bad especially if I carry my cargo rack or trailer it’s worse even with no 18 wheeler around maybe it’s the luggage maybe it’s tires I’ve had it at several shops no one knows says could be tires could be air pressure only thing I changed that may be a problem is the taller than stock windshield any help or advice would be appreciate I have had a couple car tires and motorcycle tires on the rear. 2016 f6b

Sorcerer
07-22-2018, 08:03 AM
Retorque your lug nuts.

opas ride
07-22-2018, 12:34 PM
Anyone else experience this at high speeds was going over 100 with my buddy and all sudden handlebars wobbles super bad thought I was going down! Now at 75 mph it doesn’t feel stable brakes rub in rear and tire moves side to side a little when on center stand When I get near 18 wheeler the weaving is bad especially if I carry my cargo rack or trailer it’s worse even with no 18 wheeler around maybe it’s the luggage maybe it’s tires I’ve had it at several shops no one knows says could be tires could be air pressure only thing I changed that may be a problem is the taller than stock windshield any help or advice would be appreciate I have had a couple car tires and motorcycle tires on the rear. 2016 f6b

I know I am an "old man", but going 100mph with or without a passenger is just plain crazy in my humble opinion, regardless of handling issues!!!

Mooney14
07-22-2018, 08:02 PM
Alright I will try that thanks

Mooney14
07-22-2018, 08:06 PM
Yeah it is crazy but people enjoy having a little fun every now and then keep the rubber down !:D

Frye
07-22-2018, 09:17 PM
Motorcycles have been my primary mode of transportation for roughly 49 years. I'm over 60 now and still see 100 at least once a month. Hopefully in 20 years when I'm over 80..... I'll have a faster bike. :-)

opas ride
07-22-2018, 09:47 PM
Motorcycles have been my primary mode of transportation for roughly 49 years. I'm over 60 now and still see 100 at least once a month. Hopefully in 20 years when I'm over 80..... I'll have a faster bike. :-)

I'm pushing 79 years old, been riding since I was 14 and have gone pretty damn fast at times, but as one gets older, and hopefully wiser, sometimes common sense takes over and I ask myself why am I going this fast???...What does it really accomplish and who really cares.....JMHO...Regards and ride safe!!

olegoat345
07-22-2018, 10:46 PM
May be you tires are out of balance. In suggest you try some balance beads for those hi speed shakes. Remove your lead weights & put 1 oz in the front & 2 oz in the rear. If you still have the shakes ad 1/2 oz more F&R.... they're a PITA to put in, so just take you time, might try squeezing the tire so it'll suck in the beads, well worth the time & money,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Frye
07-22-2018, 11:07 PM
I'm pushing 79 years old, been riding since I was 14 and have gone pretty damn fast at times, but as one gets older, and hopefully wiser, sometimes common sense takes over and I ask myself why am I going this fast???...What does it really accomplish and who really cares.....JMHO...Regards and ride safe!!

Sounds like you're doing it right. Hope I can follow your example and still be ridin' at 79 also.

olegoat345
07-23-2018, 11:39 AM
I'm 76yo, still hit 100 + mph when I have a nice long, clean stretch of road...….. Just visited a 70yo HD rider over the weekend. He's thinking about stopping riding because his HD is too heavy. I had the same "too heavy" problem with my Indian Chief. Then I took a test ride on a "B." Brought a "B", sold the Indian, problem solved.

opas ride
07-23-2018, 06:01 PM
I'm 76yo, still hit 100 + mph when I have a nice long, clean stretch of road...….. Just visited a 70yo HD rider over the weekend. He's thinking about stopping riding because his HD is too heavy. I had the same "too heavy" problem with my Indian Chief. Then I took a test ride on a "B." Brought a "B", sold the Indian, problem solved.

Interesting as I am seriously thinking about giving my F6B to my 48 year old son and switching to an Indian Scout with some extras on it...(Bags, pipes, windshield, floorboards, reduced reach seat, and some bling!!!....Thing only weighs about 560lbs compared to the 835lb "B"...I love the Honda,but it is getting to heavy for me to handle with a comfortable feeling anymore...We'll see what the future brings...Regards and ride safe....BTW, I did hit 90mph once last week!!!

Broken Hand
07-24-2018, 02:19 AM
My F6B would feel a little unstable at 100. Enough so, that I would slow down after a few seconds. I just did a suspension upgrade with Traxxion springs front, Progressive rear spring, Traxxion triple clamp with tapered bearings. I went up to 110 mph and it didn’t feel scary. Your rear tire moving side to side? That doesn’t right. Lug nuts, bearings? I’m not a mechanic, sorry I can’t be more help.

Mooney14
07-24-2018, 02:27 AM
Ok I may try the beads I have tried different tires and had balanced at different shops and according to one of the Honda dealer tires should move a little bit I don’t know not a mechanic myself and I use to be able to do whatever speed up unti I hit about 13k miles so I figured was front tire so replaced it but now I’m at 20k different front tire 3rd rear tire I’ve only had the bike since April 2017

2wheelsforme
07-24-2018, 02:54 AM
The beads were a waste of time and money for me. Unless you have a faulty tire conventual balance will do its job, if a bad tire it needs to be replaced.

stevenolts
07-24-2018, 07:15 AM
I have 37,777 (weird to look down and see that 7777 / at least it wasn't 666) last night and on the way home from work I hit over 100mph several times passing cars. The bike idols at 80 on the road. How do you keep it from running up to 100mph on its own when a good song comes on.

JackBurns40
07-24-2018, 07:35 AM
When I was on my recent trip to Idaho, I met George - 89 years old, just bought a new 2018 stripped Goldwing and still owns a 12-year-old Hayabussa...

https://www.ralphehanson.com/2018/07/13/grp4-i-want-to-be-george-when-i-grow-up/
(https://www.ralphehanson.com/2018/07/13/grp4-i-want-to-be-george-when-i-grow-up/)

Frye
07-24-2018, 09:10 AM
When I was on my recent trip to Idaho, I met George - 89 years old, just bought a new 2018 stripped Goldwing and still owns a 12-year-old Hayabussa...

https://www.ralphehanson.com/2018/07/13/grp4-i-want-to-be-george-when-i-grow-up/
(https://www.ralphehanson.com/2018/07/13/grp4-i-want-to-be-george-when-i-grow-up/)

Thank's for posting those links. The stories they led to were much like a highway that's just too fun to leave.

olegoat345
07-24-2018, 10:22 AM
I've been using "beads" since 2005, never had any problems. As your speed picks up & the balance changes a bit, the beads move to & away from those areas I understand air planes have been using them for decades, along with a lot of trucking companies. If you still have a issue after installing the beads, chances are you've got a tire problem.

JackBurns40
07-24-2018, 10:57 AM
Thank's for posting those links. The stories they led to were much like a highway that's just too fun to leave.

Welcome! Glad you enjoyed my stories.

Switchmonkey
07-25-2018, 09:14 AM
Now at 75 mph it doesn’t feel stable brakes rub in rear and tire moves side to side a little when on center stand.

If your tire is actually moving side to side and brakes rubbing, you’ve got some improperly torqued lug nuts. Remove the wheel and reinstall, using the required Q spec. Balancing could also contribute a bit. If you have weights, it’s unlikely your wheel was balanced at high speed. The computer balancers use an algorithm to estimate high revs while actually spinnning wheel at much slower revs. If a mechanic told me it was tire pressure after describing your symptoms, I would question his credentials. Find a new shop!

opas ride
07-25-2018, 03:42 PM
My F6B would feel a little unstable at 100. Enough so, that I would slow down after a few seconds. I just did a suspension upgrade with Traxxion springs front, Progressive rear spring, Traxxion triple clamp with tapered bearings. I went up to 110 mph and it didn’t feel scary. Your rear tire moving side to side? That doesn’t right. Lug nuts, bearings? I’m not a mechanic, sorry I can’t be more help.

May I ask what this up-grade costs??..I am still thinking about doing the same type thing next month at my local Honda dealer which has done several bikes , including many trikes which is their main concentration of business...I am not sure about the rear spring at this point depending on the cost...Regards

tenxxx
07-29-2018, 08:50 AM
Have talked to a few riders who have traded in their top heavy v-twins in on Goldwings.
They didn't regret the change and the wives are happy too.

VStarRider
07-29-2018, 12:51 PM
Interesting as I am seriously thinking about giving my F6B to my 48 year old son and switching to an Indian Scout with some extras on it...(Bags, pipes, windshield, floorboards, reduced reach seat, and some bling!!!....Thing only weighs about 560lbs compared to the 835lb "B"...I love the Honda,but it is getting to heavy for me to handle with a comfortable feeling anymore...We'll see what the future brings...Regards and ride safe....BTW, I did hit 90mph once last week!!!

Opas, the Indian referred to here as heavy is a Chieftain, which weighs about the same as a F6B. The Scout you are considering is 300 lbs. lighter.

I rode a Chieftain and do not recall it being top heavy, but I do remember it not being as nimble as the Honda...which, of course, could be related to where the weight sits in the chassis.

olegoat345
07-29-2018, 04:24 PM
I brought a new 2016 Indian Chief and it was top heavy, very top heavy !! That's why I sold it. Well, really I took a "B" for a test ride first. Then I brought I nice used B & sold the Chief to a guy on the west coast. The only email I got from him after delivery said, "man, this thing is heavy!" Haven't heard from him since.

Broken Hand
07-31-2018, 12:07 AM
May I ask what this up-grade costs??..I am still thinking about doing the same type thing next month at my local Honda dealer which has done several bikes , including many trikes which is their main concentration of business...I am not sure about the rear spring at this point depending on the cost...Regards

$499 for triple clamp
$119 springs
$100 for bushing seal kit
$ 15 for fork fluid
$741 for labor
$150 sales tax and shipping =

$1624 total

I also had pads brake and clutch fluid replaced, air filter, anti-dive delete (no charge), and of course the rear spring which was 3.5 hr labor, but I didn’t include those charges. I also have a superbrace on. Labor = $95/hr at Honda dealership in WA.

Hope this helps.