PDA

View Full Version : Honda LED Highway/Fog Lights

Bama Bagger
11-15-2013, 04:50 AM
Okay, my girlfriend is wanting to buy me lighting upgrades for the new F6B for Christmas. :icon_biggrin:

I've pretty much settled on the SoCal HID's for the Low Beams (with a cut-off from EC) and the LED's for the High Beams. I'm leaning towards the 960 lower cowl lights from BikeMP3 as I need to see both the sides of the road and down-wind as well as here in northern Alabama and southern Tennessee we have a hell of a lot of deer running across the roads and Interstates constantly. :icon_frown:

Now here's my question...I have scrubbed this forum and can't see where ANYONE has installed the Honda LED's on their F6B, though when I visit other Goldwing Forums many Wing riders have them and love them. I know the most negative issue is the price and the fact the Honda units are linked to the High Beams and turn off when the Highs are on. Also, I can't find decent specs anywhere concerning the Honda LED's wattage draw or lumin output. :banghead:

Any input from our gang would be appreciated! :bowdown:

edgeman55
11-15-2013, 03:20 PM
Don't know anything about the Honda cowl lights but I can tell you the 960's are the bomb.Lots of light,don't draw much,install very easy and will stay on with high or low beam.

NCF6B
11-26-2013, 06:36 AM
Are the 960's pretty much "plug and play" on the f6b or do you have to get into running wires and an aftermarket switch? Thanks, NCF6B

MichaelG
11-26-2013, 08:52 AM
Are the 960's pretty much "plug and play" on the f6b or do you have to get into running wires and an aftermarket switch? Thanks, NCF6B

The 960's...whether the Dual 960's or the Single 960's, both from BikeMP3, are basically plug n' play. They connect into the OEM wiring harness that is located down mon the front of the engine, at the same connectors that you would plug in a set of Honda fog lights. Then...the switch of yuour choice would be installed on the left side audio panel, where there are three blanks located there. Most of us choose to use one of the two lower blanks. That switch wiring is then routed to a connector that is in behind the audio panel, and it too is basicaly plug n' play.

There are no wires to cut, nothing to splice, and all is very sanitary when done.

"IF" you choose to go for the 960's from BikeMP3, decide if you want the Duals, or the Singles (that is two per side, or one per side), and also decide "which" switch you want. Many of us have found that the OEM Honda fog light switch is not our choice for the best switch. We have been there...done that, and the problem with the OEM Honda fog light switch is that the small LED light on the switch is ON 100% of the time when the bike is on, whether the fog lights are on...or not. Many have changed over to the Electrical Connection fog light switch, as that Green LED light is on...only when the fog lights are on. Check with Pete at BikeMP3 and ask if he too has a switch like that...other than the Honda switch.

Hornblower
11-26-2013, 10:30 AM
Many of us have found that the OEM Honda fog light switch is not our choice for the best switch. We have been there...done that, and the problem with the OEM Honda fog light switch is that the small LED light on the switch is ON 100% of the time when the bike is on, whether the fog lights are on...or not. Many have changed over to the Electrical Connection fog light switch, as that Green LED light is on...only when the fog lights are on.

Excellent advice :clap2: I first went with the OEM lighted-all-the-time switch and the switch light soon quit working. Lighted or not, I had no idea whether or not my 960's were on without looking at the lights or for a reflection off some other surface. Based on Miles' suggestion, I installed the EC green LED lighted switch and couldn't be happier. This is the way it should be :biggthumpup:

4DI2D
11-26-2013, 12:40 PM
Check your state vehicle code for standards.
In most states you can only have four lamps lit on the front at any time, so the high beam cut-out is required.
It really sucks to have your local constable do a U-turn and sandpaper your butt and wallet.

NCF6B
11-28-2013, 09:03 AM
thanks Miles! Glad to hear they're plug & play. tired of "jury rigging"lights and having them look make shift. have a Blessed Thanksgiving! NCF6B

Darkknight
12-04-2013, 11:13 AM
I did install these Honda Led fog lights. The dealer wanted crazy money to install these.
Going slow it took about 2 hrs if I remember correctly. I also never got the "lighted" switch to light but it has been working for 7500 miles now. The lights are indeed bright and do shut off when the high beams are switched on. I use them mostly for others to see me, so they are pretty much always on. As for seeing imperfections in the road, lights that are mounted higher seem to work better.

Bama Bagger
12-04-2013, 08:59 PM
The 960's...whether the Dual 960's or the Single 960's, both from BikeMP3, are basically plug n' play. They connect into the OEM wiring harness that is located down mon the front of the engine, at the same connectors that you would plug in a set of Honda fog lights. Then...the switch of yuour choice would be installed on the left side audio panel, where there are three blanks located there. Most of us choose to use one of the two lower blanks. That switch wiring is then routed to a connector that is in behind the audio panel, and it too is basicaly plug n' play.

There are no wires to cut, nothing to splice, and all is very sanitary when done.

"IF" you choose to go for the 960's from BikeMP3, decide if you want the Duals, or the Singles (that is two per side, or one per side), and also decide "which" switch you want. Many of us have found that the OEM Honda fog light switch is not our choice for the best switch. We have been there...done that, and the problem with the OEM Honda fog light switch is that the small LED light on the switch is ON 100% of the time when the bike is on, whether the fog lights are on...or not. Many have changed over to the Electrical Connection fog light switch, as that Green LED light is on...only when the fog lights are on. Check with Pete at BikeMP3 and ask if he too has a switch like that...other than the Honda switch.

Hey Miles,

I've got the 960 Cowl Lights on order but for the life of me I cannot find the Green LED Lighted Switch on the Electrical Connection web site. Do you have the page or the part number so I can order?

Thanks in advance....notworthy.

jlyon
12-04-2013, 09:36 PM
Hey Jim,

I think this is it:

http://www.electricalconnection.com/power-distribution/switch-gl18fog.htm

Joe

Bama Bagger
12-04-2013, 09:49 PM
Hey Jim,

I think this is it:

http://www.electricalconnection.com/power-distribution/switch-gl18fog.htm

Joe

Hey Joe...Thanks!

I have seen the link and products you attached. The lighted switch is from E/C but is a circular light with a green LED. Miles had a picture of it in one of the prior posts but not a part number. :shrug:

Scotrod
12-04-2013, 10:18 PM
This switch:

http://www.electricalconnection.com/images/switch-gl18-gen5.jpg

Scotrod
12-04-2013, 10:27 PM
Called a 'generation 5 switch'

http://www.electricalconnection.com/driving-lights/dl_gl1800-led.htm

Pedro66
12-04-2013, 11:12 PM

Yes we have those switches or we normally do the last one went out today we will have more on Monday

Bama Bagger
12-04-2013, 11:35 PM
Yes we have those switches or we normally do the last one went out today we will have more on Monday

Hey Pete,

I've got an order in with you guys that hasn't shipped yet. Order/Invoice number #0000003959. How much are those Gen 5 switches and what other colors do they come in? I might order those and have you send them along as a total order to save shipping costs. I am also looking at the Amp/Voltage Meter with Panel (wish that had been on the Black Friday list) and the short IPod Cable. BTW, what is the length of the cable?

Please advise...Thanks!

sokool
12-06-2013, 12:34 AM
Hey Pete,

I've got an order in with you guys that hasn't shipped yet. Order/Invoice number #0000003959. How much are those Gen 5 switches and what other colors do they come in? I might order those and have you send them along as a total order to save shipping costs. I am also looking at the Amp/Voltage Meter with Panel (wish that had been on the Black Friday list) and the short IPod Cable. BTW, what is the length of the cable?

Please advise...Thanks!

I got Honda lights more for being seen on LA's freeways. Lights do a fairly good job, short to medium distance.
on/off switch from Honda does not light when lights are turned on.
overall I'm satisfied for my needs and they look good.

Pedro66
12-10-2013, 07:23 PM

Just FYI our switches are slightly larger than the others out there but work well with gloves and come fully wired so just plug and play

http://i445.photobucket.com/albums/qq173/pedro_66/2012%20Lower%20Lights/web%20size/file_zps994c5dbf.jpg

http://i445.photobucket.com/albums/qq173/pedro_66/2012%20Lower%20Lights/web%20size/file_zps8b67a3c9.jpg

MercuryF1
12-10-2013, 09:53 PM
Did anyone not go with the switch and have the 960s on all the time?

edgeman55
12-11-2013, 02:01 PM
Did anyone not go with the switch and have the 960s on all the time?

I have the OEM switch but is always on.I like the 960's on during the day too as it is just one more thing to maybe let the cagers know I'm around.They don't draw much so leaving them on is no big deal.

thunder217
12-19-2013, 09:11 PM
I saw your question, yes I plan on wiring mine without a switch. After countless threds and watching several videos I now know what the connections is. Just installed mine tonight and will install the crossover in the morning to see them light up when I turn the key. Playing slick on Friday it will be in the 60s here in maryland. Time to get a quick one in this weekend. :041: