PDA

View Full Version : LED vs HID

Switchmonkey
07-30-2018, 08:22 PM
I’m looking for feedback from users of either LED or HID headlight replacements. I just installed Tridium fogs and am impressed with the pure white the fogs throw compared to stock headlight. Now I feel compelled to upgrade my headlights as well.

I’m looking for feeedback on the following:

1. Beam pattern
2. Effective distance
3. Longevity
4. Ease of install

Thanks all in advance for your feedback.

JackB
07-31-2018, 06:26 AM
I stall Pathfinder's this spring. I only drove once at night so far during the day they are Bright. The beam at night is wider and higher you can see the power lines but I don't think they shine as far as the OEM's but I need to drive more at night to be sure.
I thought they were easy to install just took a little time.
Here is a picture of 3 LED's installed

https://s19.postimg.cc/c8cwag7fn/IMG_1537.jpg (https://postimg.cc/image/7z868a467/)

ReserveBum
07-31-2018, 07:04 AM
Have the LED's and I like that they look good and are more visible than stock but I do not believe they put out more light. Dont ride at night often but they do not seem to cover the area with light like the oem's.

Joflewbyu2
07-31-2018, 08:21 AM
I had a 14 Valkyrie with LED lights. The F6B is Superior in illumination compared to the LED setup the F6C had.

Pumper
07-31-2018, 09:15 AM
Having worked in the lighting industry for the emergency vehicle industry, I will give you my 2 cents worth.

LED has no filament to break, as they are solid state.
HID consume large amounts of power and desepate large amounts of heat form their power consumption. HID takes time to come on, they are not instant like LED's

LED has a life expectancy of 50K hours HID are rated 2000-3000 hours and are not solid state. Plus the vibration of the road is hard on them, causing them to break down faster.
HID is much more to install as you have more components to hide and wire, including a large driver.

LED is the right way to go as far as light quality and brightness (kelvin). While HID's may be brighter, they are a whiter light, and can be hard to see at times from an approaching vehicle, unless you are right in direct line of sight.

Emergency vehicles mostly spec LED now, why? Visibility not only to see, but to be seen...Hence, LED is the way to go today.

tenxxx
07-31-2018, 02:46 PM
My 2013 f6b lights up the road better than any car I ever had.

Joflewbyu2
07-31-2018, 03:02 PM
That is what I was thinking about my stock halogen F6B even compared to my car which has LED lighting.

My 2013 f6b lights up the road better than any car I ever had.

Radical Taz
07-31-2018, 06:18 PM

I installed the SoCal LED’s more to BE SEEN by others during the day than for me to see better at night.
I love them,

terryboyle
08-01-2018, 07:58 AM
Even Helen Keller would see you coming. That looks great!

Joflewbyu2
08-01-2018, 08:38 AM

I installed the SoCal LED’s more to BE SEEN by others during the day than for me to see better at night.
I love them,

That would cause trouble where I am at. The number of lights illuminated is illegal in the U.S. Someone might swerve coming at you or slam on their brakes when you are behind. Just pisses people off. Not something you would want to do on a motorcycle.

Radical Taz
08-01-2018, 07:01 PM
“Helen Keller would see you coming. That looks great!”
Thanks and That’s the point!

QUOTE=Joflewbyu2;169079]That would cause trouble where I am at. The number of lights illuminated is illegal in the U.S. Someone might swerve coming at you or slam on their brakes when you are behind. Just pisses people off. Not something you would want to do on a motorcycle.[/QUOTE]

Point well taken but of course you realize the hi beams are on in the pic, and the lowers cannot be seen when you are behind someone.
And since I have a Goldwing converted to F6B I’m able to raise or lower the light beam on the fly so not to blind on coming traffic or those I’m behind. Like I said it’s more for daytime driving than night and I’m sure most can agree they have had more close calls during the day than night. (I know because we ride more in the day) :cool:

Retired Army
08-01-2018, 07:12 PM
Now for the burning question which light works with killers talking on cell phones while driving?

Radical Taz
08-01-2018, 07:30 PM
Now for the burning question which light works with killers talking on cell phones while driving?

The Blue and Red ones on The PoPo’s car.barney.fife

53driver
08-02-2018, 10:44 PM
It used to be (3 years ago?) that even though they were bright, LEDs wouldn't "throw" anywhere near as far as HIDs.
Technology has caught up a lot and while HIDs will still put more light further down range - it's getting almost too close to call.

This is Isleen's front look.
All SoCal LEDs except the steerable light under the low beams - that's a WIR police LED bar.

They light up EVERYTHING.

And if she REALLY wants to be seen?
https://youtu.be/S_bx5i3K5Ds
High beam modulators and emergency strobes.

Cheers,
Steve