PDA

View Full Version : Just Wondering

jutster
08-06-2018, 11:00 AM
Does anyone ride with the stock shield ??
or has everyone replaced it for something of their liking
Not trying to stir anything up
Just Wondering

opas ride
08-06-2018, 02:09 PM
I rode with the stock shield during a test ride of about 10 minutes...Had a Baggershield installed before delivery, along with a bunch of other stuff, as the stock shield is no good for longer rides or any rides in my opinion!!!

TerryDavid
08-06-2018, 02:15 PM
I know why dogs put their heads out the car window
Want no wind
Drive a car:cool:

53driver
08-06-2018, 05:08 PM
I've seen several bikes with the stock shield ridden happily.
I actually sold my stock shield to someone who wanted a spare.

I have DamStad personally - I like the protection it offers.
Cheers,
Steve

broncsrule21
08-06-2018, 05:12 PM
I cut my stock shield down even lower. I will never ride with anything I have to look through. I ride with a slightly taller shield during the winter though.

tenxxx
08-06-2018, 08:27 PM
I still have the stock shield but its a little warn. It had a 12"ish recurve on it when I got it.
I just put a new M..St.d on. I'm stuck ob Stads.

Brasco
08-06-2018, 09:08 PM
I rode with the stock shield during a test ride of about 10 minutes...Had a Baggershield installed before delivery, along with a bunch of other stuff, as the stock shield is no good for longer rides or any rides in my opinion!!!

Opas . . . should I strike you off my list of prospective purchasers of my stock shield? :icon_wink: I have had a smoke Klock Werks since nearly day one with the B and it's been perfect for me. Rode with the OEM Hondaline shield on my previous VTX and in hindsight, while it did the job well, is was really too tall. Acted like a sail sometimes when dealing with the strong winds that come flying off the eastern slopes of the Rockies.

Fingerz
08-06-2018, 09:45 PM
I rode with mine for a few days and decided on a Klockwerks. I haven’t looked back since.

olegoat345
08-07-2018, 09:28 PM
I like the Wing Bender

rdbonds
08-08-2018, 08:24 AM
Like a few others, I use a M*dSt*d. I did modify mine, though, by adding linear actuators, so that it's now electrically adjustable. That way on the highway, I can run it up nice and high, but if I want more air, I can lower it.

tenxxx
08-08-2018, 08:50 AM
Like a few others, I use a M*dSt*d. I did modify mine, though, by adding linear actuators, so that it's now electrically adjustable. That way on the highway, I can run it up nice and high, but if I want more air, I can lower it.
Cool Mod!!

Switchmonkey
08-16-2018, 09:45 AM

I’d like to see pics of that setup. Been thinking the same thing...

1951vbs
08-16-2018, 09:09 PM
I have been running a Cee Baily's dark tint 1" under stock for 110,000 miles and love it. I just finished a ride to/from Sturgis with two 1000+ mile days and four 600+ mile days and appreciate the clean air coming over when its 95-100 degrees.

dksmith
08-17-2018, 05:55 PM
34k miles with stock shield. I do wear full face helmet at all times. I've been thinking of painting the inside of the stocker black for a new look.
D

Verismo
08-20-2018, 04:51 AM

That's awesome. Like others, I'd love to see pics and a parts list for what you used, if you have time.

Jason

Pumper
08-20-2018, 01:01 PM

Do you have pictures and specs of what model actuator you used?

Rickc
08-20-2018, 01:04 PM

Me Too, Tell us more. Pictures and how to do please.

53driver
08-21-2018, 09:26 AM

Okay - this sounds sexy as all hell.
We need pictures, actuator model numbers, controller circuit switchology, etc.
And I was just in Marietta GA yesterday...

shooter
08-21-2018, 03:01 PM
Dang , after all that I kinda feel like I split a milk jug and duct taped it on.

rdbonds
09-01-2018, 08:34 PM
Hi all. Sorry for the delay...have not been on in a while. Happy to provide the parts info. The actuators are Progressive Automation PA-07-2-5 Micro Linear Actuators. That means that they are 2" stroke, and have 5lbs of force each at 12volts. They are rated as weatherproof, and have internal limits to protect them from being over-extended or retracted, and are $69 each. The shield has ~2.5" of adjustment, so I'm giving up about a 1/4" on either end. The actuator brackets are Progressive Automations BRK-07 Mounting Brackets, welded to the inner and outer shield brackets. Since the inner has the slot for adjusting angle, I chose the angle I like and welded a washer on for a "preset" angle. I suppose you could also put a small actuator to control that too, but I'm quite happy like it is. They are controlled by a waterproof reversing normally open toggle switch, which was $25. It's a very simple setup...just 12v power and ground that reverse via the switch. I put links to each below. I'll try to upload a few photos for anyone interested...but the first couple of tries failed. :)

https://www.progressiveautomations.com/micro-linear-actuator?gclid=CjwKCAjw8ajcBRBSEiwAsSky_WzM64x9eta f0UIzMe1l6OwD_wwWizotzddSkoz6f4GnzblgTDN8tRoCkvIQA vD_BwE

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KGMOU58/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

rdbonds
09-01-2018, 08:47 PM
Still can't get the upload to work (perhaps filesize is wrong). I even tried reading the directions. :)

I've put them in a Google Photos folder...here's the link. Maybe that will work.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/uhez3LSTKYDSUgAV6

If that doesn't work, anyone on the board feel free to reach out. My email is my username for this group then @gmail.com.

Cheers!

WEGI
09-02-2018, 07:19 AM
Hi rebounds

That is a great looking installation! Well done. Which way did you run the wires from the actuators into the fairing?

Thanks again for sharing.

WEG

Zteve
09-02-2018, 08:59 AM
I also have lowered my stock screen for hot weather. Just drilled 3 more holes to make it about 1.5" lower. I gets rid of that noisy wind blast for cleaner air flow.

rdbonds
09-02-2018, 03:38 PM
Hi rebounds

That is a great looking installation! Well done. Which way did you run the wires from the actuators into the fairing?

Thanks again for sharing.

WEG

The switch is just forward of the left glove box, so the wires go forward from there, through an opening just behind the speaker, into the nose (under the nose cover). They then run along the underside of the inner shield, and pop out right at the base of the actuators.

grendl
09-03-2018, 08:41 PM
I rode with the stock shield for about 5kMiles and loved it. Then a trip down south and the bugs on my full face - I couldn't wipe them off fast enough. I decided to go with a Klockwerks which blocks most everything for me and I can still see above it.I would switch back and forth if I wasnt so lazy.Stock during the spring /summer and Klockwerks in the fall /winter months . I too understand why dogs stick their head out the window - I love the wind !