PDA

View Full Version : Cold Weather Gear on a budget

Darkknight
11-16-2013, 07:54 AM
Well this is my first year "dressing for success" with cold weather gear.
There is a ton of stuff out there but I couldn't really afford the heated gear. I started with the leathers...Jacket, chaps, then added thermals but it got colder and these weren't working. I use Bates work boots that are fine in the summer but cool in the late fall.
So this is what I've found... a complete cold weather setup for under $290.
I use a base layer from FREEZEOUT by Cyclegear. (currently on sale.)
This consists of:
Base layer thermal socks, long underwear, long sleeve shirt, and neck protection. This stuff is like underarmor but has a windblock material on the forward facing surfaces. Cost $62
The textile stuff comes from Revzilla.
Tourmaster text pants. cost $80
My leather jacket is heavy and rides up on my back, sooo...
My Tourmaster Saber3 text Jacket should be delivered on Monday for $144
total cost $286
Now I'm figuring out how much is too warm for what temp. So far wearing just what I mentioned is good for High 30's to mid 50's. Maybe an outer shirt and pants under the text stuff for under 30 degrees but I haven't seen those temps yet.
As for Gloves I use just some Olympia insulated gloves but I do have the heated grips if needed. Also the Rocky's Risers I installed and adjusted to the most narrow position seems to have brought my hands rearward and out of the wind.
So that's the view from the cheap seats. :0)

Big Dawg
11-18-2013, 07:10 PM
I have been where you are and have a closet full of that stuff, A couple of years ago, I just bit the bullet and bought gerbing heated gear. Now I can turn it up to broil when it is freezing or set in on simmer when it is just cold out. I started with the heated jacket liner, and gloves. After a year, I sold it and got the Gerbing extreme element jacket and pants. They are armored riding gear that is waterproof and heated. Couple those with the heated insoles and gloves and you can ride when it is zero or less and still be warm as toast. The great thing about it is you don't need any layers, just your standard pants and shirt under the Extreme Element stuff.

I fought paying the money for many many years. All I can say is I wish I had bought the heated gear 40 years ago.

1951vbs
11-18-2013, 08:11 PM
Cold weather gear on a budget is the title so before I had my Gerbings heated gear and Aerostich Roadcrafter and extra boots one size too big for extra socks I would layer up like Bibendum. However there is one piece of gear that transends both gear sets...that means I used it then and I still use it now...and that is a schampa balaclava! Very cheap for what it gives back for warmth. Less than $20. Try one you'll own one!fireheat
http://www.amazon.com/Schampa-WarmSkin-Balaclava-Black-Size/dp/B005345DBY

bobbyf6b
11-18-2013, 08:18 PM
I do ok with t-shirt, hoodie and leather jacket. Thinsulate leather gloves for the hands and only jeans. I have chaps if needed but with the wind protection on this bike I don't think I'll need them. We get down in the 30's but hardly ever lower than that. I only ride in those temps for commuting. If it's that cold on the weekend I'll probably stay home. 'freezing-cold'

I have one of those balaclava things too. It works!

Scotrod
11-18-2013, 08:33 PM
D'night,

I agree the 6 'as is' has a lot of wind protection, especially when compared to my previous rides.

Bike gear,,,, You mentioned some risers,,, Have you also thought about the under-mirror hand deflectors? They do a pretty decent job of keeping wind off your hands when fully closed, and they can also bring air into your riding area/under your wrists/forearms during summer.

Also wondering if the Bakers snap-on 'under the engine guard' foot rain/wind guards would help keep the cool air off my feet. (enough to make a difference?)

Balaclava,,,,, eh, I have prescription eye glasses that tend to get fogged up,,, Neck gaiter does the trick for me.

1951vbs
11-18-2013, 08:45 PM
Balaclava,,,,, eh, I have prescription eye glasses that tend to get fogged up,,, Neck gaiter does the trick for me.

Neck Gaiters are excellent as well!! And very inexpensive.

Scotrod
11-18-2013, 09:14 PM
Yeppers. Something so small and inexpensive makes a helluva difference. :yes:

Keep that noodle and neck warm!!!

Back in IA, we had to tend livestock 365 days a year. No 'lectric clothes,,, Keep that body heat coming up around your neck and head to stay warm.

Fingers and toes can get icy all the time and you'll be fine, but cold lungs/throat/head will get ya sick.

Coldest I've seen / been in there was a freak storm,,, 40 below on the thermometer / 80 below wind chill.

Didn't seem like there was much difference between 80 below wind chill and 40 below wind chill. Just 'crisp',,, Either way, if it wasn't covered up, it might just freeze off!

Any y'all wonder why I live in TEXAS now!!! :icon_biggrin:

fl1madmax
11-19-2013, 08:13 AM
Yeppers. Something so small and inexpensive makes a helluva difference. :yes:

Keep that noodle and neck warm!!!

Back in IA, we had to tend livestock 365 days a year. No 'lectric clothes,,, Keep that body heat coming up around your neck and head to stay warm.

Fingers and toes can get icy all the time and you'll be fine, but cold lungs/throat/head will get ya sick.

Coldest I've seen / been in there was a freak storm,,, 40 below on the thermometer / 80 below wind chill.

Didn't seem like there was much difference between 80 below wind chill and 40 below wind chill. Just 'crisp',,, Either way, if it wasn't covered up, it might just freeze off!

Any y'all wonder why I live in TEXAS now!!! :icon_biggrin:

CVS and Walgreen's sell a back Pad that when you put it on it heats up, its good for 5-6 hours and if your lower back is warm, it
makes you feel good all over. Not a long term fix, but if you have to go out in the cold, its a nice little heater. I live in East Central Florida,
going to be 72 today, BURRRRrrrrrrrrr !

Scotrod
11-19-2013, 09:11 AM
CVS and Walgreen's sell a back Pad that when you put it on it heats up, its good for 5-6 hours and if your lower back is warm, it
makes you feel good all over. Not a long term fix, but if you have to go out in the cold, its a nice little heater. I live in East Central Florida,
going to be 72 today, BURRRRrrrrrrrrr !

I can see where riders in cooler climates get top notch gear, but it sometimes just doesn't make sense for folks in warmer regions to go 'all in' on gear that would only be used very little.

I'll have to take a peek at those back warming devices.

I had a few of those hand warming packets I thought I might use, but after digging 'em out,,, I see they expired back in 09.:icon_doh: