PDA

View Full Version : No low beams.

choptop
08-15-2018, 04:44 PM
Was alerted by a Harley rider yesterday that I had no lights. Hi beams work, no lows, did a search and some one said it was for them a blown fuse, #25, another said it could be the low beam relay due to a bad starter switch ? Is fuse#25 under the seat ? Maybe both bulbs are burnt out, haven't checked that yet, but probably not. Thanks in advance for any help. Choptop

bob109
08-15-2018, 07:46 PM
Was alerted by a Harley rider yesterday that I had no lights. Hi beams work, no lows, did a search and some one said it was for them a blown fuse, #25, another said it could be the low beam relay due to a bad starter switch ? Is fuse#25 under the seat ? Maybe both bulbs are burnt out, haven't checked that yet, but probably not. Thanks in advance for any help. Choptop

Had the same problem! After checking fuse and relay the culprit was both bulbs were bad!

gadgeteer
08-16-2018, 09:15 AM
Before you start taking everything apart, start with the easiest... with the 'kill selector' in the off mode, operate your starter switch several times.
Now, start bike and check lights. If that works, spray a LOT of contact cleaner in every orifice of the starter switch.
You may get lucky. :)

F6Bster
08-16-2018, 10:49 AM
Had the same problem! After checking fuse and relay the culprit was both bulbs were bad!

It is amazing on the GL1800 how many times this happens. One will go out and you don't know it and the other is usually not far behind.

choptop
08-16-2018, 01:23 PM
Thanks guys !!

bob109
08-16-2018, 09:10 PM
It is amazing on the GL1800 how many times this happens. One will go out and you don't know it and the other is usually not far behind.

I've replaced low beams so many times, I've lost count! I buy a twin pack of Silver Star at Wally World and keep them in the left cubby! I transfer them from the original package to empty pill bottles, of which I have many! Wrap them in facial tissue to keep finger oil off the globe. It takes me all of five minutes to swap out a bulb. For what ever reason, my 6 eats bulbs like kids eat candy:shock:

53driver
08-21-2018, 10:07 AM

I am not sure if that is "Amazing Production Quality Control" that both go out within minutes of each other, or if that is a real problem somewhere.
Once I put LEDs in, there was no more of that nonsense.
Cheers,
Steve

F6Bster
08-21-2018, 10:46 AM
I am not sure if that is "Amazing Production Quality Control" that both go out within minutes of each other, or if that is a real problem somewhere.
Once I put LEDs in, there was no more of that nonsense.
Cheers,
Steve
Note that I did not say "within minutes." It can be hours or days because if you are riding alone you might not know one of them is out. I replaced lots of low-beams in my Wing (never replaced a high beam bulb). I also run LEDs in my F6B.

53driver
08-21-2018, 11:03 AM
Noe that I did not say "within minutes." It can be hours or days because if you are riding alone you might not know one of them is out. I replaced lots of low-beams in my Wing (never replaced a high beam bulb). I also run LEDs in my F6B.

And you did not say minutes - true.
But there are many riders who have had theirs go out within less than an hour of operational minutes.
Cheers,
Steve

Pumper
08-21-2018, 11:59 AM
Chop you had any luck with the issue yet?