PDA

View Full Version : Need some F6B Advice...

fxolato
08-20-2018, 04:46 PM
Been studying the F6B and am getting closer to finding one. I am riding an ST1300 now, and a ST100 before that. Time to find something more comfortable two up as wife is retiring and has decided she wants to ride along....Any thoughts on the difference between a 2013 and a 2016?
Also been reading about this crank position sensor issue (Honda calls it a generator Pulse something) is that a common defect on the newer F6B's? Does the dealer cover this under warranty? I have read of a few 2013 and 2014 with the issue but not much on the newer ones. Anything else I need to look for or be aware of maintaince wise? Honda motorcycles seem to be pretty bullet proof for the most part. Thanks in advance

Az Wingrider
08-20-2018, 05:06 PM
The main difference between a 2013 or 2014 and the later bikes is the cruise control. To some of us that was a deal breaker, to others no big deal. The Crank position sensor (ignition pulse generator) can be a problem on any Gl1800, goldwing or F6B. If the bike is under warranty it is covered. I don't know how many of us have had the problem. I suspect it is a small percentage. I have a 2015 F6B and I had to have it replaced but I know a lot of people that have never had a problem, I would recommend buying a Deluxe model the extra features are worth the difference in price.

I am totally satisfied with my F6B and you should be able to make a really good deal because they never became very popular so the resale on them sucks.

Good luck
Az Wingrider

STRaider
08-20-2018, 06:30 PM
I had two ST's and loved them both. This bike is much better, especially two up. I do miss that electric windshield, though.

opas ride
08-20-2018, 06:55 PM
I love my F6B deluxe and intend to keep it for now...2013 model with a "boat load" of accessories including custom paint..No issues at all in over 4 1/2 years of riding except for the brake re-call from Honda..Don't ride very far so cruise was not an issue for me...But,,,,,If I were going to ride two-up and had been riding an ST, I would most definitely move to the new Goldwing Tour instead of a F6B...I know used F6B's go fairly cheap, but the new Wing is super nice and almost looks and feels like a "grown-up" ST1300 in my opinion.....Good luck and ride safe

BigAl1952
08-20-2018, 08:51 PM
I have a standard model 2013. Bought it used and its by far the best motorcycle I have ever had. I have owned many. At the time I wanted one I didn't really look at finding a deluxe model as I was riding a bike that I wanted to trade for one. If they would have had a deluxe model I would have bought it for the cruise and the heated grips. Ive put quite a few accessories on it and it really hasn't bothered me to not have a cruise. I just use a throttle lock. The place I bought it from now has a used deluxe that has no miles on it in black. Like Az Wingrider said you can buy them really reasonable. I did have the issue with the pulse generator and because I had ho warranty I paid to have it replaced. Since then no more issues. I didnt buy mine from a Honda dealer I bought mine from a shop that sells used motorcycles. Al

fxolato
08-21-2018, 08:39 AM
thanks for the advice I am thinking I will miss the electric windshield but then again before I bought the St's none of my previous bikes had electric windshields so didn't know I was missing anything. The Mastead windshield looks to be a happy solution. If you have the crank position sensor repair done at the dealer what is the approx cost for the repairs...?

53driver
08-21-2018, 09:07 AM
....If you have the crank position sensor repair done at the dealer what is the approx cost for the repairs...?

Mine was performed under warranty - but the part is ~$35 and it's about 2.5 hours of labor.
While they are in there, they can change the air filter and reset the throttle cable so the adjustment on the handgrip has more range.
It's not epic.
I think there are a total of 4 of us on the forum who have had this replaced AND have squawked a lot about it. There may be a few more, but with more than a couple thousand members, I think that's doing pretty well.
It should definitely NOT be a deal breaker in deciding this purchase.

Cheers,
Steve

olegoat345
08-21-2018, 09:28 AM
I read there's a heat issue w/ some years of the ST's. Not so w/ the B. I too have a throttle lock, I rarely use it. I did like the power windshield on my FJR. It took a couple of tries to find a windshield I liked on my '13 B. I use the 15" "Wind Bender" (EZ manual "stop light" adjustable, or up grade to a power) from Fire Creek, they're great folks to deal with.. I prefer the gloss finish over the matte, different strokes, different folks. There's lots of fraklies to be had for the full wing & the B. Should be able to get a great buy if you shop around, ebay, cycle trader, craigslist, this forum, any brand MC dealer. I saw a new "0" miles on ebay a week or 2 ago. You wait until this fall / winter you can steal one...….. I took a test ride on a B in the fall of '16, came home & put my '16 Chief (w/ 600 miles) on the market & brought a great used (off this forum) '13 in 2 weeks, been smiling ever since...…. you'll love the B.

fxolato
08-21-2018, 12:06 PM
Yes the early ST's had a heat issue and the 2008 and later are better and after I installed a Corbin seat which fit much better around the gas tank area and a few other mods I have the heat issue pretty much under control.I really enjoy the ST but two up I think the F6B would be better. I think my hooligan days are over, just turned 60 and have spent the last ten years or so riding all of the crooked roads in Arkansas and NC now wife is retiring and has decided she wants more than the twice a year weekend trip. I have had my fun managed to remain upright all of those years and from what I see on You Tube the F6B corners pretty well. I think it will be a good choice. I am doing my homework now and you are correct Jan or Feb is a good time to really go shopping.

olegoat345
08-21-2018, 01:25 PM
To me the B is a 800# sport bike. I love the way it handles & rides.

Verismo
08-21-2018, 02:51 PM
While they are in there, they can change the air filter and reset the throttle cable so the adjustment on the handgrip has more range.

Cheers,
Steve

Hey Steve, do you mind explaining a bit what you mean by "more range"? Thanks!

Jason

53driver
08-21-2018, 03:19 PM
Hey Steve, do you mind explaining a bit what you mean by "more range"? Thanks!

Jason

Jason,
As the throttle cable stretches, you "use up" the available threads at the handgrip throttle adjustment to tighten it up.
The other end is on the throttle body and the tech can "zero out" the handgrip adjustment and take up all that slack at the throttle body.
So you can keep using the same throttle cable and keep 'er taught with the handgrip adjustor.
"Range" was NOT the correct word - sorry.
Cheers,
Steve

Frye
08-21-2018, 04:19 PM
The 2016 Deluxe model has heated grips, cruise control, self canceling turn signals, passenger backrest and a center stand. I really like all those features. I don't care much for the linked brakes on mine and I'm disappointed in the performance. It's not 20 years and 300 cc faster than my Valkyrie but it's OK and maybe a little faster. The passenger comfort is superb and rider comfort is nearly as good as my Valk's was. With a drivers backrest it would be even better. The saddlebags are very good and adding a show chrome rack really adds a lot of storage space.

In comparing my 97 Valk to the B what stands out to me is that even at 21 years old my Valk was faster than most cruisers. But since Honda didn't soup up the B at all, in 20 years it's performance will be embarrassing. But it is what it is.

shooter
08-21-2018, 04:25 PM
Jason,
As the throttle cable stretches, you "use up" the available threads at the handgrip throttle adjustment to tighten it up.
The other end is on the throttle body and the tech can "zero out" the handgrip adjustment and take up all that slack at the throttle body.
So you can keep using the same throttle cable and keep 'er taught with the handgrip adjustor.
Cheers,
Steve

Dang it!!! I thought there was another 1/2 inch I hadn't found yet!! I was twisting as hard as I could Steve!!

F6Bster
08-21-2018, 04:39 PM
In comparing my 97 Valk to the B what stands out to me is that even at 21 years old my Valk was faster than most cruisers. But since Honda didn't soup up the B at all, in 20 years it's performance will be embarrassing. But it is what it is.

I loved my Valk also...nothing looks or sounds like a Valk. But the handling on the B and all of the GL1800s is so much better in the twisties. That big tire on the front of the Valk could sure tire you down after a day of twisties!!!! But, nothing else out there like the original Valks!!!!

Verismo
08-21-2018, 11:12 PM
Jason,
Cheers,
Steve

Now I got ya! Thanks, Steve! I was kinda hoping the opposite. I find the throttle spring to be a little tight, if anything. (Minor complaint). However, I've gotten pretty accustomed to skipping gears on the upshift. Makes traffic acceleration much less jerky.

I do love the B. But like others who had an original Valk, I'm still impressed with what a machine that was. Besides the ergos being really comfortable to me (wide bars, slung-in feeling), there was something about those 6 carbs. Yes, it was a major concern if it was sitting for any length of time. But when you twisted the throttle, something about those carbs seemed to really breathe in the acceleration. It's difficult to describe, but something about fuel injection feels ever so slightly more.... disconnected?

However, no muss, no fuss, no worries is very hard to argue.

Jason

Kokomo Kevin
08-22-2018, 08:40 AM
Lots of us kept our old Valks, I kept mine and ride it weekly just to keep the jealous down between it and the Red 13B! 6 cylinders, 6 carbs, Viking Exhaust, Dynatek ignition system, It was a machine that is still hard to replicate the riding experience to this day. The sound of it at full throttle is something amazing. Rode the new Goldwing dual clutch yesterday as the Corporate folks have set up a ride experience here in central Indiana. Was a nice experience to compare it to the 2013. Honda has got it right out of the box, and someday one will follow me home to be a stablemate to the other two timeless machines.

Donncat
08-22-2018, 11:16 AM
I have owned 2 VALKS, sold my 99 when I bought the B. While the chrome and black/orange paint was awesome on it there is NO comparison in the ride, not even for nostalgic sake. As for sound, if you like the Valk's sound Torque Loops will give you the fun you are looking for. Throaty around town and 911 Porsche sound when you wind it up. Best of both worlds, Just Sayin.

Kokomo Kevin
08-22-2018, 03:32 PM
Might have to get a set of torque loops someday. I have done quite few modifications to mine already. Saving coinage for Traxxion upgrade. After riding the 18 Goldwing DC yesterday and then getting back on my 13
I found that the suspension just was not as good. My Valkyrie has a full progressive upgrade that I added and to be honest it rides as well if not better than the stock 13 B. I am a larger rider, in the mold of Big Larry, and will upgrade to Traxxion when I get a chance.

Verismo
08-22-2018, 06:31 PM
Been studying the F6B and am getting closer to finding one. I am riding an ST1300 now, and a ST100 before that. Time to find something more comfortable two up as wife is retiring and has decided she wants to ride along....Any thoughts on the difference between a 2013 and a 2016?
Also been reading about this crank position sensor issue (Honda calls it a generator Pulse something) is that a common defect on the newer F6B's? Does the dealer cover this under warranty? I have read of a few 2013 and 2014 with the issue but not much on the newer ones. Anything else I need to look for or be aware of maintaince wise? Honda motorcycles seem to be pretty bullet proof for the most part. Thanks in advance

I realized after replying here that I was complicit in the hijacking of this thread. Sorry about that!

The price point is the obvious difference between the 13 and the 16, but when I was making the same decision around the time I bought my 16, I factored in what I considered having cruise, heated grips, center stand, self cancelling turn signals, and passenger back rest all factory, would do to resale value/demands. After hunting for and finding a very good deal, decided the difference would be negligible. Plus, I can't believe how much I like cruise and heated grips. Never had them and I use the hell out of both. I don't know anything about the pulse generator issue so no help there. Happy hunting!

Jason

Xrider57
08-22-2018, 08:42 PM
I bought a new 2015 in March 2017. It is a standard which includes cruise. I use the cruise anytime I’m on the interstate, and sometimes on two lanes to give my hand a rest. I added the centerstand and backrest and plan on heated grips this fall. You will find yourself adding and changing things to fit and suite you and your comfort. That’s part of the fun! I liked the ride and the handling and though all those guys spending thousands on Traxxion might be nuts. After bottoming out on a really bad expansion joint Sending a shockwave up my repaired spine.I felt like I had to find a suspension that would protect my back or quit riding. I called Traxxion and they said they could help so $3500 later I’m riding and having fun. It’s a different motorcycle. I was happy before and had no idea what I was missing.Dont ride one that has had the mega Monty unless you have a pile of money sitting around. Good luck in your purchase and enjoy.

Frye
08-22-2018, 11:05 PM
I loved my Valk also...nothing looks or sounds like a Valk. But the handling on the B and all of the GL1800s is so much better in the twisties. That big tire on the front of the Valk could sure tire you down after a day of twisties!!!! But, nothing else out there like the original Valks!!!!

Agree all the way around.

The handling of the F6Bs is superb and better than the gen 1 valks.

keller123
08-26-2018, 02:18 PM

So Plus one on being one of the thousands with the ignition pulse generator issue. NON abs here so the quick fix method is on the table but just took top and lower cowl off and damn, there is a connector sleeve covering about 4 connectors and wouldnt you know it, I cannot see the small red one that i need to pull to replace. I have the replacement parts ready to go but wanted to get a good look at this wire situation to see if easy to get to...answer is NO. But would I let this be a reason to not buy an F6B...a big HELL NO!! This is the best bike i have ever had and my wife says the same. I have had this IPG issue for about 7 months and it has not wanted to crank about 4 times. Sporadic but sucks when it happens....leave her a day and she normally fires up...sometimes, fires up in 10 minutes...just never know. I want to either fix it or get it fixed...here is my You tube video just made. perfect timing on this recent post to get some votes on should i man up and cut a connector sleeve or take it to shop with tail between my legs?? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dV27NSfRiOk