PDA

View Full Version : What will scrape first on a speed bump?

terryboyle
08-31-2018, 08:23 AM
First I thought it was the engine,
then I thought it was the exhaust,
then I was reading about lowering kits and it seems that if you have a center stand it will be lowest piece.

Any thoughts from you more hands on guys.

Thanks in advance.

dksmith
08-31-2018, 03:56 PM
Hmmmm, I did hit a newly installed speedbump at work a couple weeks ago. Not sure if damage was from that speed bump or a friends driveway that has a rather aggressive drain across the end. In the picture, clutch side front part of centerstand has powder coat removed. I also noticed some front to back striations on the engine case near the back center where the two halves come together. Not very deep. Both locations are near the middle of the distance between front and rear wheels.
Forward is about 7 o'clock direction.

terryboyle
08-31-2018, 06:31 PM
Thank you for the information.

Navvet
09-02-2018, 08:46 PM
I've caught several speed bumps, always on the centerstand, maybe I might need to lose a few pounds ....

unsub
09-11-2018, 11:29 PM
First I thought it was the engine,
then I thought it was the exhaust,
then I was reading about lowering kits and it seems that if you have a center stand it will be lowest piece.

Any thoughts from you more hands on guys.

Thanks in advance.

Terry some speed bumps are designed to be a bit more aggressive (high and narrow) depending on the property owner and or approximation to a lot of pedestrian traffic. Some I can sail over gracefully while others I will scrape the bottom end slightly even @ dead slow. I have a center stand and I always thought that was the point of contact. On my last oil change I didn't notice any scrapes on the engine belly.

terryboyle
09-12-2018, 02:57 PM
Thanks unsub!