PDA

View Full Version : F6B vs CTX 1300

irhawk
11-17-2013, 02:45 PM
Hi,

New member, first post. Have been lurking for a while as I will be buying a new bike in the spring. Am currently riding a BMW F650 GS but want to move to a larger bike. Will be using it mostly for commuting and weekend day trips. I had considered the BMW 1200RT, but I really like the idea of a bike with a shorter saddle and lower CoG (I'm 5'9",30 inch inseam, 145 pounds). Used to ride an FJR which I loved once it got rolling, but hated in the parking lot because its such a top heavy beast. I dropped it the first week I had it before I realized that it couldn't be manhandled like my old VStar 1100 cruiser.

I got rid of the FJR because of pain in both hips. Ruined my hips after years of long distance running, skydiving, bump skiing and TaeKwonDo. Ahh the stupid stuff we do when we're younger! Anyway I got the F650 GS because of the narrower seat that didn't hurt the hips so much. Despite that I have only been able to ride for about 1/2 hour at a time for the past 3 years. Until now . . . This year I had both hips replaced. So I'm "back in the saddle again" and looking forward to a new bike in the spring.

The F6B was has been at the top of my list because of the ergos and smooth engine. Recently I saw the announcement for the CTX 1300. Looks like it would suit my purposes. I'm sure the F6B would be better for touring but I won't have the time to do extended trips until I retire in about 6 years anyway. Would the F6B be overkill for short distance commuting and weekend trips? I'm not concerned about the cost difference between the two bikes. I do like the fact that the CTX has ABS, although I have never had occasion to engage the ABS on my F650. I have read about how great the linked breaks are on the F6B, so the lack of ABS is not a deal breaker. Looks like I'll have to replace the windscreen no matter which bike I choose. I think the shorty windscreen looks a little goofy on both bikes. And certainly not very functional.

I suppose I'll have to wait until the spring and hopefully find a place where they'll let me take a test ride on both bikes. I live in Iowa so our riding season is about over. In the meantime I would appreciate any input that you all may have on the subject. Thanks in advance.

P.S. I read a prior thread about the CTX 1300 and it seemed like the majority opinion was that it was ugly. Well, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder as they say. . . I think it looks pretty good, but prefer the looks of the F6B.

Dirtstiff's F6B
11-17-2013, 03:06 PM
Welcome,

Great decision to be faced with. The outcome will be good either way.

Just a few observations owning an F6B myself -

The seat height might be a bit high without a seat or lowering mod. I'm 6' with 34.5" inseam, no problem holding or manuvering the bike. It is a bit taller than some out there, stock.

I'm blessed with two other bikes; a VTX 1800 and a HD Street Glide. Love them both for what they are, but I also run erronds around town, daily short rides, weekend jonts with the F6 with no problem. It is as, or manuverable than the other two, which I ride everywhere.
The 13 and F6 are probably same as far as handling and amenities. Perhaps the 13 has more goodies?? But the F6 is all about comfort and horse power. It is the most comfortable ride we have as far as my # 1 passenger is concerned as well.

Best thing to do as planned, ride both a couple times to help make your decision.

Good luck in that difficult decision.

J

opas ride
11-17-2013, 03:35 PM
One nice thing about the F6B is that it handles extremely well at lower speeds and is well balanced for shorter riders..I am 5'9" with a 29" inseam and can just about get both feet on ground at stops...Mustang now has a 1" lower seat which I will get next spring which will set me down a little lower although the F6B is very easy to handle at stoplights and in traffic. I am almost 74 and love the way this thing handles and rides..Coming off a 900lb. Vision Tour it is a big difference in town and on shorter trips...Go for the F6B and I am sure you will be very satisfied, but it is your money and life, so do what suits you best and good luck........

MichaelG
11-17-2013, 03:47 PM
irhawk, I am going to throw my vote towards getting the CTX 1300 Deluxe. Less weight, low seat, ABS brakes, Blue Tooth, etc.

irhawk
11-17-2013, 07:59 PM
The seat height might be a bit high without a seat or lowering mod. I'm 6' with 34.5" inseam, no problem holding or manuvering the bike. It is a bit taller than some out there, stock.

J

Thanks for the replies. I am surprised to hear the concern about seat height. One of the reasons I'm interested in the F6B and the CTX is the relatively low seat height compared to the sport touring bikes out there. According to the honda website the f6b seat is 28.5" and the ctx is 29.1. I should be able to handle that comfortably. I think my fjr's seat was 31-32 inches.

opas ride
11-17-2013, 08:47 PM
In most sport bikes and many other type bikes, the seats are usually higher for ground clearance, etc..but they are for the most part, much narrower at the front area next to tank..Most cruisers, touring bikes, etc. may have lower seat heights, but they are much wider near the tank area and thus making the reach to the ground more difficult..Many big V-twins also have a air cleaner and header pipes that make it more difficult also....No so much although on the F6B....

Dirtstiff's F6B
11-17-2013, 09:13 PM
Hawk,

Best you sit an F6B.

My perspective may be skewed because I have a highly custom VTX which I sit in and touch the ground, flat footed easily.

Yes, the seating position is both back and lower with the F6B, compared to the traditional wing. Either way, adjustment can be made to fit about anyone's (arse) seating position. Ride them both.

I didn't want a full on Wing right now, but love the look, ride, performance and handling of the F6.

My opinion only...

Mustangjake
11-17-2013, 09:35 PM
We'll the CTX1300-
Seat Height 29.1 inches
Curb Weight 724.2 pounds.

F6B -
Seat height 28.5 inches
Curb Weight 842 pounds

motozeke
12-08-2013, 11:55 PM
I just spent some time sitting on the two 1300s they had at the IMS. The paint looked great, but overall the component quality was to a budget standard. It was disappointing, frankly, especially at the listed prices.

That said, I did like the styling, the stereo, bluetooth and traction control/ABS. But trust me, when you sit on it and you look at the quality of the bars and the controls, you'll think the bike is in the same family as the new 500s. It's not that it's bad, it just doesn't seem right for the price range.

FlyinF
12-09-2013, 08:48 AM
First you need to check this forum and find what owners don't like about the F6. Most on this site complain about the paint (my black standard has great paint) and there are many that complain about hesitation (mine doesn't). If you can deal with this then you will be happy with the bike, because it really is a fun/great bike. I have considered the CTX1300 it seems pretty cool, but I will not trade my F6 for it.............I have a Yamaha Super Tenere that is getting a bit tall for me in my old age so the 1300 will be a good replacement.

BubbaJePH
12-09-2013, 09:32 PM
I have a 1300R VTX and a 30" inseam. The F6B felt just as good as my 1300R. I was amazed how the low center of gravity on the F6B felt so comfortable. I would not have a problem getting the F6B but my 1300R is so comfortable and paid for.

NCF6B
12-14-2013, 11:52 AM
people have pretty well summed it up. I can only add that I have had a vtx 1300 r, an st1300 a goldwing 1800 and now the f6b. the f6b is the best combination of all of these in my opinion. I use it for around town and shorter trips. will admit I miss the reverse on the f6b. however, the comfort and fun make it a bearable situation. you just have to decide for yourself what will best meet your needs. Good luck. Nice decision to have to make! Have a very blessed Christmas! ncf6b

ReserveBum
12-15-2013, 01:35 PM
I went to the NY IMS yesterday with the goal of resolving my upcoming purchase decision. For this year I was planning on upgrading my 94 Connie and I had it down to the F6B or an new Red FJR. I am 59 yrs 5'10 and 220. Loved the FJR but concerned that the seating position would soon be an issue. I know I could get risers etc but dont think it would completely cure my uncomfortable feeling in my neck. I went over to the Honda display on the way to the F6B and got distracted by the CTX1300. I did not think it was ugly, thought it was pretty sharp looking. I sat on it and it felt really comfortable. I actually went back 5 times on sat on each of the two 1300's they had on display. I'd love to ride one but I think I still have a choice but now its between the two Hondas. I sat on the F6B and I was not as flat footed but I think its the width of the stock saddle as Opas said in an earlier post

Elin in So. Cal.
12-15-2013, 01:42 PM
I'm five foot four inches and have a 30" inseam. I am "this close" :duck: to flat-footing it. In my icon riding boots with 3/4" heels I flat foot it.

I DID trim the foam off the inner thigh contact area the minute I got it home, and it did make a difference, although not that much. Quick job with staple removers and needle-nose pliers.

It's no big deal to get used to the seat height--and the spread of it (e.g. the "twist" in saddle maker's terms) after a few rides.

I don't know about the CTX, but I sure love the F6B.