PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a Trailer for my F6B

JBM Golf
09-17-2018, 07:38 PM
I sold my enclosed trailer that I use at my Golf Shop. I had it setup for work and my F6B fit as well. I am now looking for an open trailer to haul my F6B. The Aluma trailer looks like the best. I was also looking at the Kendon folding trailer. What is everybody using?

F6Pilot
09-17-2018, 07:58 PM
I do not personally own one but borrowed a friends Aluma a couple of times. Absolutely awesome trailer that fit the F6 and pulled like it wasn't there. If I found myself in the market I would locate an Aluma.

Kokomo Kevin
09-17-2018, 09:34 PM
Been looking at the ramp free drop types up in Paw Paw, Michigan he makes several types, You can google it. Price is not bad as well.

olegoat345
09-17-2018, 09:53 PM
I use a 12' flat bed, dove tail, landscaping trailer. Install a bunch of D rings (AMAZON), & 2 front wheel chocks (AMAZON), they're EZ off / on. Hauled my B & my G/F's Scout 2600 miles, no issues. Got under $1500 in it & can use it to haul all sorts of stuff. Hauled a load of river rock last week...….

Pumper
09-18-2018, 09:20 AM
I sold my enclosed trailer that I use at my Golf Shop. I had it setup for work and my F6B fit as well. I am now looking for an open trailer to haul my F6B. The Aluma trailer looks like the best. I was also looking at the Kendon folding trailer. What is everybody using?

I use a Drop Tail, works great and can easily haul two full dress bikes. Folds up when not in use...

jmdaniel
09-18-2018, 09:36 AM
I have an '09 Kendon, which I retrofitted with the new tail section that they added for the '14 model year. Without that change, it was always a bit sketchy loading my FJR, and honestly, I didn't try loading the B with the old single ramp. With the change, it's a simple drive up, with no assistance needed. I like the Kendon because I live in a neighborhood where trailers can't be stored in plain sight, and this trailer takes up little space when stood up.

And yes, you can see your old seat in the third picture. It really enjoyed Cortez last month! :cool:

https://i.imgur.com/svJHJvVh.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/IOxfmgDh.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/PIs9jmPh.jpg

olegoat345
09-18-2018, 09:46 AM
With the ramp down on the dove tail trailer, there's very little chance of bottoming out when riding on, as long as you're fairly level ground. Truck wheels in a low spot makes for a little less angle.
Going up the ramp seems to bother some people. The first time is the worst, after that it's EZ. Helmet on. Start straight & get up enough steam to get you, up the ramp & onto the flat part of the bed, done deal. I'm 76yo & do it, I know you can. "Back in the day" we would ride our dirt bikes up a 2x10 into a 3/4T. P/U truck bed.

tenxxx
09-18-2018, 05:02 PM
I paid too much for mine to be hauling it in the open. I did it with other bikes in the rain and what mess.
I could hear my tires kicking up stones and hitting the trailer.
My v nose doubles as a camper when the bikes not in there (5x8) weights the same as the bike. 1700 total.
I pull it with a v6 Toyota.
JUST MY 2 cents worth.

valkhound
09-18-2018, 05:17 PM
How much did it cost you to upgrade to the new style tail section on your Kendon trailer? I have the exact same trailer and would like to do the same thing to it.

jmdaniel
09-19-2018, 07:28 AM
How much did it cost you to upgrade to the new style tail section on your Kendon trailer? I have the exact same trailer and would like to do the same thing to it.

We exchanged PMs, but I wanted to correct the price I told you. They are $600, but Kendon discounted $150, which almost paid the $175 shipping to me in Central Texas. $625 delivered, and no sales tax.

Travelor
09-19-2018, 10:39 AM

I upgraded my Kendon as well, makes loading the bike a breeze. I also upgraded the center rail and chock - front tire now fits between the rails instead of riding up on them (made steering a bitch). If you get a Kendon, tire pressure should be 36-38 pounds - NO MORE. Do NOt run the at max pressure - they will bounce all over the place and wear out quickly. I have over 15,000 miles on mine and love it.

jmdaniel
09-19-2018, 12:37 PM
I upgraded my Kendon as well, makes loading the bike a breeze. I also upgraded the center rail and chock - front tire now fits between the rails instead of riding up on them (made steering a bitch). If you get a Kendon, tire pressure should be 36-38 pounds - NO MORE. Do NOt run the at max pressure - they will bounce all over the place and wear out quickly. I have over 15,000 miles on mine and love it.

I'm not sure what "upgrade" you did to the center rails and chock, unless it was non-Kendon. I didn't do anything to mine, and it works fine, for both the B and my FJR.

valkhound
09-19-2018, 12:40 PM
We exchanged PMs, but I wanted to correct the price I told you. They are $600, but Kendon discounted $150, which almost paid the $175 shipping to me in Central Texas. $625 delivered, and no sales tax.
Thanks for the info.

Travelor
09-20-2018, 07:18 AM
I'm not sure what "upgrade" you did to the center rails and chock, unless it was non-Kendon. I didn't do anything to mine, and it works fine, for both the B and my FJR.

I have a 2003 trailer. Around 2015 Kendon changed the design of the center rails and chock so that front tires would fit between the rails instead of slightly riding up on them. Also lowered the chock for easier in and out and made it adjustable for different wheel sizes. Upgrade is available on Kendon website and is a pretty straightforward installation. I paid about $200 a couple of years ago.

jmdaniel
09-20-2018, 02:06 PM
I have a 2003 trailer. Around 2015 Kendon changed the design of the center rails and chock so that front tires would fit between the rails instead of slightly riding up on them. Also lowered the chock for easier in and out and made it adjustable for different wheel sizes. Upgrade is available on Kendon website and is a pretty straightforward installation. I paid about $200 a couple of years ago.

Okay. I think you're talking about the add on they sell as a center rail for the dual trailers.

olegoat345
09-20-2018, 10:26 PM
I towed our 2 bikes from central Fl. to Canada & back w/ my '16 Tacoma TRD sport 4x4, 3.5, auto tranny. Nice truck, I like Toyota products. Traded a '14 GMC in on it, lots of software / computer issues, dealer couldn't or wouldn't fix them. Ergonomics were awful.

Brasco
09-20-2018, 10:27 PM
Anyone tried one of the Baxley trailers? They look pretty good at first glance but don't believe there's much (if any) of a distributor network.

https://www.baxleycompanies.com/sbx09.html

Travelor
09-21-2018, 07:49 AM
Okay. I think you're talking about the add on they sell as a center rail for the dual trailers.

Nope, that's not what I am talking about. As I said, around 2015 they changed the design of the rails and chock on the single (and double) trailer so the front tire will fit between the rails instead of tending to ride up on them, twisting the steering a bit. It is available as a replacement part from Kendon.

jmdaniel
09-21-2018, 08:13 AM
Nope, that's not what I am talking about. As I said, around 2015 they changed the design of the rails and chock on the single (and double) trailer so the front tire will fit between the rails instead of tending to ride up on them, twisting the steering a bit. It is available as a replacement part from Kendon.

You must have a different Kendon website than I have, as there is no such thing listed, other than that center rail for the dual trailers. Shoot me the link to what you're seeing, please.

Kokomo Kevin
09-21-2018, 07:17 PM
I was looking at the Baxley trailers and the Ramp free trailers a while back, they both look like nice units. A little larger the the Kendon units but like you said not sure what kind of dealer network they have. I have contacted both and they are pretty much custom build with each having a couple of designs for Trike, Dual Bike trailers or single bike trailers. Everyonce in a while you will see a used trailer on Cycle Trader. Have seen all the brands listed on CT.

Travelor
09-22-2018, 07:49 AM
You must have a different Kendon website than I have, as there is no such thing listed, other than that center rail for the dual trailers. Shoot me the link to what you're seeing, please.

Sorry for the misunderstanding. The rails and chock are not listed as a replacement part on their site. Just call Kendon and ask about the new(er) rails. I think I paid about $200 for them. They really do make loading the bike easier.

shortleg0521
09-23-2018, 06:36 PM
Anyone tried one of the Baxley trailers? They look pretty good at first glance but don't believe there's much (if any) of a distributor network.

https://www.baxleycompanies.com/sbx09.html

Baxley makes one of the best trailers that can be had.
It makes loading a bike so easy you will think you did something wrong.
A simple one person operation
Have had one for 10 years and just sold it because it was made for two bikes and
I only travel with one at a time now.
Only draw back is maybe price.

jmdaniel
09-24-2018, 09:19 AM
Sorry for the misunderstanding. The rails and chock are not listed as a replacement part on their site. Just call Kendon and ask about the new(er) rails. I think I paid about $200 for them. They really do make loading the bike easier.

Okay, I thought I was losing my mind. Well, mebbe I am...

PapaJT
09-26-2018, 01:42 PM
I have to say that is a darn nice looking trailer. I like it a lot... and I think it would outlast me!
That being said... I'm pretty cheap. Yes, the F6B cost a lot used, but I had a cheap HF 4x8 trailer that I abused mightily for 18 years, only having to replace the tires a couple times.
Amortized out, it cost me about $30/yr including the plywood and rails. And yes, I put a lot of miles on it, overloaded it sinfully and loaned it out to those who didn't care for it.
If I had to get a bike trailer now I'd get the same one or the 1800lb capacity one, build another ramp, use a couple boards for the guide and a good front wheel chock.
Yes, yes I know... the china stuff argument. In time that will be a distant memory, like the bad connotation Made in Japan used to have.
Factories build whatever build quality people want.

Travelor
09-27-2018, 08:16 AM
I have to say that is a darn nice looking trailer. I like it a lot... and I think it would outlast me!
That being said... I'm pretty cheap. Yes, the F6B cost a lot used, but I had a cheap HF 4x8 trailer that I abused mightily for 18 years, only having to replace the tires a couple times.
Amortized out, it cost me about $30/yr including the plywood and rails. And yes, I put a lot of miles on it, overloaded it sinfully and loaned it out to those who didn't care for it.
If I had to get a bike trailer now I'd get the same one or the 1800lb capacity one, build another ramp, use a couple boards for the guide and a good front wheel chock.
Yes, yes I know... the china stuff argument. In time that will be a distant memory, like the bad connotation Made in Japan used to have.
Factories build whatever build quality people want.

I agree with your last statement above but would add "....and are willing to pay for".