PDA

View Full Version : F150 was a surprisingly good match

VStarRider
09-20-2018, 06:52 PM
Was toying around with a late model F150 on a local four-lane highway with traffic lights.

I like to wind it out a bit from red lights on this particular highway, nothing extreme, just changing gears at 4000 instead of the normal ~2500.

This F150 was behind me, but not tailgating, but clearly staying on my ass during what should have been hard acceleration for a four-wheeled vehicle.

We went back and forth a bit for a few miles. He got a red light, and I was behind him. He got on it hard when it went green, hard enough for me to be shifting at 4000-4500 to keep up. I rolled on it in 4th at about 60 mph, went to go around him. I was gaining in typical bike-vs-car fashion, but then he punched it. I twisted even further on it in 4th, did not downshift, and I backed off at 90 to keep things somewhat reasonable. This lasted a total of about three seconds.

I expected to walk right past this truck, but I didn't. I believe if I was crazy and kept going, I would have overtaken him, but not easily. I suspect it was one of those twin-turbo 3.5 V6s. Is a 5000+ lb truck that fast?!?

53driver
09-20-2018, 07:12 PM
Hmmm.
I'm pretty sure an F-150 isn't 5,000 pounds.
My F-350 dually, 4 door, extended bed, 7.3l diesel is 5500 pounds....

I also would have thought you could have taken him before 4th gear....this is interesting!
Cheers,
Steve

Joflewbyu2
09-20-2018, 07:21 PM
I caught a light and lined up against a McLaren 650s a few months ago. I had a good launch with wheel about 12” off the ground and shifted at 5500 each gear. At 100 mph, he was 1 to 2 cars lengths ahead and pulling. Took it to 120 which he was 3 to 4 then I let go.

Zteve
09-20-2018, 07:31 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItsXmCffguU

The F6B is supposed be 3.3 sec 0 to 60 so you should have smoked him! Maybe if you were winding it out closer to 6 grand ya would have.

VStarRider
09-20-2018, 07:31 PM
Hmmm.
I'm pretty sure an F-150 isn't 5,000 pounds.
My F-350 dually, 4 door, extended bed, 7.3l diesel is 5500 pounds....

I also would have thought you could have taken him before 4th gear....this is interesting!
Cheers,
Steve

Hey Steve, just double-checked the curb weight of the F150 Super Crew ... just a hair under 5000 lbs. 4912 to be exact.

Yeah, I thought 60-90 in 4th would do it, too...maybe he modded the truck a bit ... friend of mine into racing says its easy to do and there's a lot of power left on the table from the factory these days.

VStarRider
09-20-2018, 07:34 PM

The F6B is supposed be 3.3 sec 0 to 60 so you should have smoked him! Maybe if you were winding it out closer to 6 grand ya would have.

Yeah, I saw that stat when they tested the F6B against the Harley. Again, it wasn't much of a "race", considering we started at 60 and it only lasted a few seconds. As mentioned, I was surprised that truck was even in the same league. What is the rpm range in 4th between 60-90 ... probably 3500-4500? If so, I was not winding it out while he was.

F6Pilot
09-20-2018, 07:54 PM
My daily is an F150 EcoBoost and it will scoot once you spool it up, which is quick. However, I don't believe it is any match for my F6. Yours had to be "tweaked" and as previously stated, there are a ton of mods available to get it there.

Zteve
09-20-2018, 08:09 PM
Like you said it could have been modded. There's some crazy mods for those turbo's.

Joflewbyu2
09-20-2018, 08:17 PM
What hat are you smoking? The McLaren is a 2.8 ish to 60 and runs the 1/4 in upper 10s at 130 mph plus. The F6B is not that fast. It may be in the upper 11s at 110-115 mph. Winding past 5500 is useles as the hp peak is 5500 and then drops from there.

Zteve
09-20-2018, 08:26 PM
What hat are you smoking? The McLaren is a 2.8 ish to 60 and runs the 1/4 in upper 10s at 130 mph plus. The F6B is not that fast. It may be in the upper 11s at 110-115 mph. Winding past 5500 is useles as the hp peak is 5500 and then drops from there.

:icon_laugh:
The F150
The Mclaren would have been a nice run for my ZX14R.

I did say "closer to 6 grand".
Must be the small print.

Switchmonkey
09-20-2018, 08:35 PM
You want to test your bike’s speed. Go to track day and race against other brands. You’ll find yourself on the trailer pretty quick. This thing is quick, but isn’t a drag bike. VMax, XDiavel, M109r, VRod Muscle...

53driver
09-20-2018, 08:44 PM
You want to test your bike’s speed. Go to track day and race against other brands. You’ll find yourself on the trailer pretty quick. This thing is quick, but isn’t a drag bike. VMax, XDiavel, M109r, VRod Muscle...

Best get the Guhl mod, or you'll be going home even sooner.....

Joflewbyu2
09-20-2018, 09:42 PM
Oh. I thought you meant the F6B should have smoked the McLaren. I thought I did pretty good.

:icon_laugh:
The F150
The Mclaren would have been a nice run for my ZX14R.

I did say "closer to 6 grand".
Must be the small print.

olegoat345
09-20-2018, 10:19 PM
I was in the Honda shop the other day to P/U a part. A salesman & I got talking, he showed me a Kawasaki NINJA (1300 I think) that's supercharged. Weights around 550#, 1/4 mile in the hi 8's. The supercharger is built right into the engine, a real clean looking deal, can't tell it's a supercharger. There's another one that's faster yet, special order. They also make a strict drag race model (not built for the high way) that's 89,000 bucks. Salesman was talking fast & really into this bike. I didn't retain all the exact numbers. I'm sure it's online.

Zteve
09-20-2018, 10:21 PM
Oh. I thought you meant the F6B should have smoked the McLaren. I thought I did pretty good.

Yes you did.

VStarRider
09-21-2018, 05:21 AM
Besides the McLaren, which other street-legal cars can outrun the F6?

tenxxx
09-21-2018, 06:20 AM
These days if they want a 300hp motor, they build it to 350 and tune it down to meet standards.
Take away the detune and you get the real deal.

opas ride
09-21-2018, 10:27 AM
Ford F 150 Raptor with the Roush option produces over 600hp with the supercharged version and could most likely "blow " an F6B away without much effort....These bikes are fast, but not that fast!!....My guess is the one talked about on this post was not stock!!!!....Ride safe

Joflewbyu2
09-21-2018, 06:35 PM
Do we we really have time to list a dozen plus vehicles. The F6B is quick but by no means super fast. From a basic new Ford Mustang GT auto to any of the exotic 6+ cylinder cars.

Besides the McLaren, which other street-legal cars can outrun the F6?

cueman
09-21-2018, 06:51 PM
Ford F 150 Raptor with the Roush option produces over 600hp with the supercharged version and could most likely "blow " an F6B away without much effort....These bikes are fast, but not that fast!!....My guess is the one talked about on this post was not stock!!!!....Ride safe

I think Opas Ride is right on the money on this. That Raptor would have been my first guess. cueman

Zteve
09-21-2018, 07:22 PM
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fastest_production_cars_by_acceleration

opas ride
09-21-2018, 09:38 PM
As usual this thread became another discussion on personal views and how fast cars are!!!....The initial post was about a Ford Truck and the F6B and that was all...Not about what cars can do what in the quarter mile or 0-60 times or other non-related garbage...

Joflewbyu2
09-21-2018, 10:07 PM
I assume you have not grabbed the whole throttle and wound the bike out to 5500 - 6000 rpms in each of the first 4 gears and taken it to the limiter in 5th. One of my coworkers has a Raptor and it is not that fast. They are not like the older SuperCharged Lightning trucks which were quicker than the Raptors. Short shifting 4K was your issue.

Was toying around with a late model F150 on a local four-lane highway with traffic lights.

I like to wind it out a bit from red lights on this particular highway, nothing extreme, just changing gears at 4000 instead of the normal ~2500.

This F150 was behind me, but not tailgating, but clearly staying on my ass during what should have been hard acceleration for a four-wheeled vehicle.

We went back and forth a bit for a few miles. He got a red light, and I was behind him. He got on it hard when it went green, hard enough for me to be shifting at 4000-4500 (tel:4000-4500) to keep up. I rolled on it in 4th at about 60 mph, went to go around him. I was gaining in typical bike-vs-car fashion, but then he punched it. I twisted even further on it in 4th, did not downshift, and I backed off at 90 to keep things somewhat reasonable. This lasted a total of about three seconds.

I expected to walk right past this truck, but I didn't. I believe if I was crazy and kept going, I would have overtaken him, but not easily. I suspect it was one of those twin-turbo 3.5 V6s. Is a 5000+ lb truck that fast?!?

Zteve
09-21-2018, 11:15 PM
As usual this thread became another discussion on personal views and how fast cars are!!!....The initial post was about a Ford Truck and the F6B and that was all...Not about what cars can do what in the quarter mile or 0-60 times or other non-related garbage...

Now that's funny!

53driver
09-22-2018, 07:45 AM
If nothing else - and that's what I really like about everyone here - we are very opinionated, spirited bunch and we're not afraid to show it!

Y'all make being a 'moderator' pretty damn easy.
Thanks.

VStarRider
09-22-2018, 07:45 AM
I assume you have not grabbed the whole throttle and wound the bike out to 5500 - 6000 rpms in each of the first 4 gears and taken it to the limiter in 5th. One of my coworkers has a Raptor and it is not that fast. They are not like the older SuperCharged Lightning trucks which were quicker than the Raptors. Short shifting 4K was your issue.

No, if I am reading your post correctly, I did not wind it out as I was just &%^$*^% around, and not serious. When I started to go around him after leaving the light, I was accelerating at his pace; about 4K in each gear, and was in 4th @ ~60 mph. I do not know if he was holding it to the floor or not. I just rolled on it without downshifting to 3rd, because it would have been at 5000 at that speed, and an upshift would have been necessary almost immediately. Certainly not an ideal scenario. If I was taking it seriously, I would have held in 3rd and then hammered it when I started to pass. That may have been enough to slingshot by him before an upshift.

Oh well, it is fun talking about it :cool:

BuzzzPhotos
09-22-2018, 07:57 PM
I thought my F6B & Ford Truck are pretty quick until my Son asked me to leave his Hellcat at my home and wanted me to drive it occasionally. Hard as hell to get my old ass out of it but it is sure fun to drive.

BIGLRY
09-23-2018, 12:13 PM
I thought my F6B & Ford Truck are pretty quick until my Son asked me to leave his Hellcat at my home and wanted me to drive it occasionally. Hard as hell to get my old ass out of it but it is sure fun to drive.
I have a 2002 Confederate Hellcat with a 120ci Merch CNC engine and you are correct it is a blast to twist the wick on, but you don't want to ride it cross country LOL.
Oops, you were talking about the Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat cage... my bad.:icon_doh:

shooter
09-26-2018, 08:01 PM
Opas , a Rousch Raptor weighs a little over 6000 pounds. And yeah it makes a lot of HP. It runs the quarter in 13.9. Even an average rider can manage 13 seconds on a B. A good experienced racer can take a stock B to under 12 seconds. Not shifting at redline was the problem. He rolled in 4th gear at 60 and 4th will do 105 or so at redline. He was way below the powerband at that point. The B will smoke any F150 out there. F150 is a great truck. I own one. It has a tuner , ram air , headers and exhaust. It's still no match for a B.
I

opas ride
09-26-2018, 09:10 PM
I am not sure what can do what, but I would certainly like to see a "fully hopped" Ford Raptor run against an F6B under controlled conditions i.e., a drag strip ....I am getting a little rusty at my ripe old age, when it comes to drag racing, but I have never been beaten by any trucks so far...Had a Dodge Hellcat and Subaru WRX give me a run for my money a couple of times, but we were in traffic and could not really "get on it" so to speak....I'm sure you are correct in your comments...Regards and ride safe...

DMAGOLDRDR
09-27-2018, 12:51 PM
A good friend has 1999 Ford F150 Lightning that is factory Supercharged and weighs in just over 4500 lb that looks like a plain Pickup and is stupid fast.

unsub
09-27-2018, 04:35 PM

We went back and forth a bit for a few miles. He got a red light, and I was behind him.

Come clean VStar, I was there and this is what really happened......if this is not the truth then so help me God I will be struck down by [a Ford] Lightning.

VStar and another guy leave a store. The other guy walks to his Truck, while VStar walks out to his F6B.

VStar admires the Truck and the owner lets him take a look at it. The he gets on his F6B, the other guy gets into his Truck, and they both leave the parking lot. The guy in the Truck decides to show off and race out of the parking lot. He stops at a stop light. Enjoying his music he looks out the window and sees VStar on the FB6 flying by at about 80 mph! He can't believe an F6B can go that fast! So he races up to VStar and passes him again to show how fast he can go. At the next stop light, VStar speeds by once more.

Finally the Truck and VStar stop at the same stop light. 

''How the hell did you go past me so fast like that!?'' the guy in the Truck asks. 

VStar, all flushed and pale, looks at the man and says, ''MY SUSPENDERS ARE CAUGHT IN YOUR Truck DOOR!!!!''

Thanks given to the original author of this joke, slightly bastardized for our small community of jokers and lovers of the F6B

Y'all have a wonderful day!:039:

shooter
09-27-2018, 04:40 PM
Seems plausible to me.

VStarRider
09-27-2018, 06:37 PM
Come clean VStar, I was there and this is what really happened......if this is not the truth then so help me God I will be struck down by [a Ford] Lightning.

VStar and another guy leave a store. The other guy walks to his Truck, while VStar walks out to his F6B.

VStar admires the Truck and the owner lets him take a look at it. The he gets on his F6B, the other guy gets into his Truck, and they both leave the parking lot. The guy in the Truck decides to show off and race out of the parking lot. He stops at a stop light. Enjoying his music he looks out the window and sees VStar on the FB6 flying by at about 80 mph! He can't believe an F6B can go that fast! So he races up to VStar and passes him again to show how fast he can go. At the next stop light, VStar speeds by once more.

Finally the Truck and VStar stop at the same stop light. 

''How the hell did you go past me so fast like that!?'' the guy in the Truck asks. 

VStar, all flushed and pale, looks at the man and says, ''MY SUSPENDERS ARE CAUGHT IN YOUR Truck DOOR!!!!''

Thanks given to the original author of this joke, slightly bastardized for our small community of jokers and lovers of the F6B

Y'all have a wonderful day!:039:

I never let the truth stand in the way of a good story ... and I see no reason to start here ! :cheers: