PDA

View Full Version : Fall Colors and My F6B in Colorado

F6Bster
09-20-2018, 10:36 PM
Here are a couple of pictures from today's ride:
5717 5718 5719
On the left: Smoky's Valk and my F6B at the top of that unnamed high spot on CO-131
Middle and Right: My F6B by Camp Hale on US-24 between Minturn and Leadville
https://coloradoencyclopedia.org/article/camp-hale

My riding buddy Smoky and I did a 2-day 600 mile ride in the Colorado mountains the past two days. Crossed the Continental Divide several times with great riding, great views, and a great time with the best of riding buddies (we've done 150,000+ miles riding together over the past 17 years or so). This trip we crossed Squaw, Berthoud, Gore, Tennessee, Fremont, Hoosier, Red Hill, and Kenosha Passes. The high point on CO-131 between State Bridge and Toponas should also be a pass; it is not, but none-the-less a great high point. We also rode Twentymile Road (County Road 27) from Oak Creek to Hayden north yesterday, then south this morning. Awesome 20 miles of riding!!!!! Aspen colors are just about peaked along the Continental Divide and look pretty good, but leaves are falling fast due to the bad drought this year. Aspen along the Front Range are pretty dull and are turning brown quickly and falling to the ground due to the drought.

Brasco
09-20-2018, 10:43 PM
Outstanding. Great pics and ride description. Thanks for sharing!

F6Bster
09-20-2018, 10:49 PM
Outstanding. Great pics and ride description. Thanks for sharing!

Thanks Brasco. Seeing Calgary I just had to respond. Two of my very best friends from Maryland just flew into Calgary today and are on a 10-day tour of that neck of the woods. Banff, Icefields, Jasper, etc. Beautiful country. Sure hope to visit there again one of these days!

Brasco
09-20-2018, 11:07 PM
That's great, F6Bster. Hopefully you can get up this way again. The riding as you note is truly special. Only downside is the wildly unpredictable weather. On that note, sure hope your friends aren't disappointed as we're expecting close to freezing temps and snow flurries over the next couple of days. All good by Sunday/Monday and through the rest of next week though. Your friends will be back riding in the 60F range by then.

jmdaniel
09-21-2018, 07:22 AM
I wish we could "like" posts on this forum.

Thx for sharing the pics, F6Bster.

Pumper
09-21-2018, 07:52 AM
Awsum stuff!! Statebridge should be a pass, I agree...what a great ride!

53driver
09-21-2018, 07:59 AM
Nice pics, mate.
I miss my Valk.....

F6Bster
09-21-2018, 09:02 AM
That's great, F6Bster. Hopefully you can get up this way again. The riding as you note is truly special. Only downside is the wildly unpredictable weather. On that note, sure hope your friends aren't disappointed as we're expecting close to freezing temps and snow flurries over the next couple of days. All good by Sunday/Monday and through the rest of next week though. Your friends will be back riding in the 60F range by then.

These friends do not ride and are in a luxury tourbus of some sort, so they will be fine. Once when I toured that area many years ago in late August, I thought I might have cold weather in Canada. My coldest night on that trip was in Pinedale, Wyoming. Frost on the seat when we went out to ride.

bgd8rd
09-21-2018, 10:06 AM
Beautiful fall foliage but I can't believe the leaves are turning colors already? It was 92 degrees here all week until today. Finally, cooler fall weather is coming.

DaWadd
09-21-2018, 10:49 AM
Nice pics. Fall is my favourite season but it came to fast for me.

broncsrule21
09-23-2018, 06:55 PM
Great pics! Im going over Trailridge tomorrow. Have some other runs planned for the nicer days this coming week.

F6Bster
09-23-2018, 08:27 PM
Nice. Riding in Sept is awesome!!!!

Great pics! Im going over Trailridge tomorrow. Have some other runs planned for the nicer days this coming week.

grendl
09-24-2018, 07:39 PM
Great Pics F6Bster ! I was out yesterday,I dont remember the roads in the order,was following and not taking notes. Ended up being a 500 mile day just rolling around our wonderful State. Predicting snow in some parts of the mountains soon I guess the up high thrills are over....maybe but I can relate to the fun !
Was up over Trail ridge about three weeks ago,went early so very little traffic and can you believe it - the weather stayed nice for the complete trip !!
I love this place ...

STRaider
09-26-2018, 08:37 PM
Great pics. I'm headed there early October to see some of the sights on the F6B. I've ridden out there before, but the wife is joining me this time. Can't wait to get there and for her to experience Colorado on a bike.

STRaider
09-26-2018, 09:19 PM
Is she riding with you the whole way?????

I am leaving Saturday and picking her up in Albuquerque Sunday morning, then off to Durango for one night, p the million dollar highway then to Telluride for a night, and a long winding drive down to Lake City and Creede, then down to Southfork for the evening. She will fly back out of Albuquerque Thursday morning. I have a branch office in Amarillo, which I will hit on the way back. It's a good way to mix pleasure and business. :biker:

F6Bster
09-26-2018, 10:03 PM
Great pics. I'm headed there early October to see some of the sights on the F6B. I've ridden out there before, but the wife is joining me this time. Can't wait to get there and for her to experience Colorado on a bike.

Ride safe and enjoy! Should be nice on that route!

STRaider
09-30-2018, 11:17 AM
Ride safe and enjoy! Should be nice on that route!

Thank you. I'm startimg to wonder if the weather is going to cooperate. Chance of rain/drizzle some days, and the temps are dropping. May have to go to plan B and drive, probably be a last minute decision.

For any folks from Colorado, this too late in the year typically to ride out there? I thought it would be ok in earky Oct but perhaps not. That would be a shame, just got my Givi mounted on the back for the trip.

53driver
09-30-2018, 11:39 AM
I know MSF classes end at the end of Sep......

F6Bster
09-30-2018, 11:49 AM
Yep, weather this coming week looks iffy in the mountains with a cold front moving through. Late Sept and Oct can be a great time for a ride, but it is hard to plan as it all depends upon what the fronts are doing. It can be warm or it can be cold, especially at the higher elevations. Along the FRONT RANGE, late Oct-Nov and March-April are usually our snowiest months.

Lower elevations this coming week will probably be fine, but the higher elevations look cold and wet for the bike, especially with a passenger.

Thank you. I'm startimg to wonder if the weather is going to cooperate. Chance of rain/drizzle some days, and the temps are dropping. May have to go to plan B and drive, probably be a last minute decision.

For any folks from Colorado, this too late in the year typically to ride out there? I thought it would be ok in earky Oct but perhaps not. That would be a shame, just got my Givi mounted on the back for the trip.

STRaider
09-30-2018, 01:33 PM
Yep, weather this coming week looks iffy in the mountains with a cold front moving through. Late Sept and Oct can be a great time for a ride, but it is hard to plan as it all depends upon what the fronts are doing. It can be warm or it can be cold, especially at the higher elevations. Along the FRONT RANGE, late Oct-Nov and March-April are usually our snowiest months.

Lower elevations this coming week will probably be fine, but the higher elevations look cold and wet for the bike, especially with a passenger.
Thank you for the confirmation. It may ne better to go ahead and switch to plan B, and not have anxiety all week waiting and watching. :) I am sure I will watch closely, but it does not look too promising for sure. Oh well, worst case scenario is I'll be in beautiful Colorado with my beautiful better half. Not a bad deal at all.