PDA

View Full Version : Progressive Front Suspension

Cleaver1
10-05-2018, 11:05 AM
Has anyone here installed the monotube suspension in there F6B? Was there a noticeable difference in ride quality? I'm in Michigan and wondering if you had a dealer and if so which one, or know of a competent mechanic to do this install. I know there are other products, but I am asking about the Progressive units.

Thanks, Marty

Rickc
10-05-2018, 11:28 AM
I removed my forks and took them to a dealer were I was going to watch and ended up helping. After it was all done I think I could have done the whole job.
I did feel a difference in the ride. Felt better in the curves and a bit smoother ride. Still feel the bumps but things like man hole covers are smoother.

53driver
10-05-2018, 12:59 PM
Cleaver,
JimmyT, GATeach and several other of our 'spirited' riders have installed the Progressive Monotubes and all of them will tell you that is a major upgrade from the stock system.
If you go to YouTube, search for "Traxxion Dynamics Gold Wing suspension" you'll see a series of videos by Max McAllister. One of them at about the 11 minute mark shows a cutaway for the stock suspension and why it is worth upgrading.
Information is power!
Cheers,
Steve

opas ride
10-05-2018, 01:19 PM
Has anyone here installed the monotube suspension in there F6B? Was there a noticeable difference in ride quality? I'm in Michigan and wondering if you had a dealer and if so which one, or know of a competent mechanic to do this install. I know there are other products, but I am asking about the Progressive units.

Thanks, Marty

Call Jason, GM, at Central Motorsports in Mt. Pleasant, Michigan..They have done many, many Trike conversions and also do suspension up-grades using Progressive and Traxxion fork springs...I was going to do this in September, but family issues interfered ...I personally chose the Traxxion conversion parts as I preferred them, but both work fine....Regards

broncsrule21
10-06-2018, 04:31 PM
I use the progressive front, big difference for me. Really helps in bumpy corners.

billsim
10-06-2018, 07:38 PM
Just made a dealer appointment for 23000 mile service. Tires, handlebar risers and all balls steering. Now I am wondering if I should also do the progressive forks while it's there.
Always looking for a smoother ride.......

opas ride
10-06-2018, 09:28 PM
Just made a dealer appointment for 23000 mile service. Tires, handlebar risers and all balls steering. Now I am wondering if I should also do the progressive forks while it's there.
Always looking for a smoother ride.......

If your planning on doing the work you indicated, most definitely up-grade the front forks etc....Unless you are going to sell the bike soon I would not spend the money, but if you keep it a while I would consider the money well spent..I am leaning more towards the Traxxion springs, but they both make a difference, or so I am told...I planned to do it last month, but now am going to wait until Spring of next year, unless I move to another bike...Regards and ride safe

Jimmytee
10-06-2018, 10:57 PM
I have the Monotubes. Put them in myself. I also changed out the head bearings to the tapered All Balls bearing. The ride is definitely improved. With the monotubes , bearings, Superrace and Helibars, my front end is tight and tracks beautifully.

53driver
10-07-2018, 08:14 AM
Besides what I wrote already, full disclosure:
Isleen has the Traxxion "Mega-Monty" package installed.
Would not trade it for anything.

billsim
10-07-2018, 07:01 PM
Thank you for the info. I will find out how much extra the dealer wants for adding this.

Ghost Rider
10-07-2018, 07:16 PM
To Traxxion a Full wing Front and rear it runs about $3500. F6B I not sure because of difference in rear. I did Progressive front cartrages and wish I would have went Traxxion. This on my full wing.

53driver
10-07-2018, 09:10 PM
At Traxxion HQ in Marietta, GA - the Mega Monty for a 2014 Black F6BD cost $3000.

Drive Jehu
12-03-2018, 10:13 PM
At Traxxion HQ in Marietta, GA - the Mega Monty for a 2014 Black F6BD cost $3000.

Hey 53Driver, The Traxxion web site shows 2 GA installers, one in McDonough and the other in Maysville. I may be overlooking the one in Marietta, do you have contact info. for that store?

53driver
12-04-2018, 10:17 AM
They are actually in Woodstock, GA.
My bad.

http://traxxion.com
Phone number 770.592.3823

Drive Jehu
12-04-2018, 07:50 PM
I appreciate it! Looking forward to talking with them. So far I've found plenty of grumbling about the coin for Traxxion and no complaints about it's performance for our scoots. My best to Isleen.

53driver
12-05-2018, 10:38 AM
I appreciate it! Looking forward to talking with them. So far I've found plenty of grumbling about the coin for Traxxion and no complaints about it's performance for our scoots. My best to Isleen.

My mantra when I was increasing my audio company's inventory: "buy once, cry once."
Get the gear & performance you want when you can afford it.
Of course your F6BX has done SO much already!
Cheers,
Steve

(Traxxion did have a '90 days Same As Cash' thing going on to spread out the payments...)

Ewreck
12-05-2018, 08:16 PM
If you have the coin, go with Traxxion.

opas ride
12-06-2018, 11:00 AM
If you have the coin, go with Traxxion.

I read from many on this board that the Traxxion "full monty" is the way to go for those that ride hard and want a better road feel....But it is really worth it to put $3500 into a bike, mine is a 2013, that is currently only worth $9,000???...I think I will pass as my riding days are becoming less as I get older...Maybe just the front forks and AllBAlls bearings will work for me....I will give it some more thought over the winter and if I keep my bike, maybe I'll pop for the cash!!...Regards

tenxxx
12-06-2018, 11:08 AM
I read from many on this board that the Traxxion "full monty" is the way to go for those that ride hard and want a better road feel....But it is really worth it to put $3500 into a bike, mine is a 2013, that is currently only worth $9,000???...I think I will pass as my riding days are becoming less as I get older...Maybe just the front forks and AllBAlls bearings will work for me....I will give it some more thought over the winter and if I keep my bike, maybe I'll pop for the cash!!...Regards

I feel ya,, maybe the Monotubes If I feel good enough to do long distance this summer.

53driver
12-06-2018, 01:44 PM
Traxxion is definitely not for everyone.
Needs and feel as well as future time on the F6B need to be considered.

However, DO the AllBalls steering head bearing!
I cannot emphasize how much smoother the whole turning process becomes.
I have ridden an F6B with just the bearings, Progressive Monotubes, and Helibars (that brace across the middle of the bars tightens things up) - it's definitely a noticeable improvement in feel and control.
JimmyT rides about as hard as anyone I know and he has that setup, plus the Airshock in the back.

In the ballroom dance that IS our ride with our bikes, the smoother your inputs are to her and the smoother her responses back to you, the more elegant the dance will be.
Cheers,
Steve

Ewreck
12-07-2018, 09:22 AM
Seems like you've been on the Traxxion fence for a long time. A bikes worth is in the eye of the owner. IMO it's money well spent if you have the cash to blow on frivolous expenses like bike upgrades and plan on keeping it. I do a couple 3 thousand mile rides a year and the difference was night and day. I won't spend a 100 bucks on sneakers but have no problem with high end upgrades for my bike or another firearm to stick in the safe. I always tell myself I've blown cash in way worse ways.

opas ride
12-07-2018, 11:03 AM
Seems like you've been on the Traxxion fence for a long time. A bikes worth is in the eye of the owner. IMO it's money well spent if you have the cash to blow on frivolous expenses like bike upgrades and plan on keeping it. I do a couple 3 thousand mile rides a year and the difference was night and day. I won't spend a 100 bucks on sneakers but have no problem with high end upgrades for my bike or another firearm to stick in the safe. I always tell myself I've blown cash in way worse ways.

Your probably right about the Traxxion deal and I am sure it works fine...But, if I really wanted to spend the money, and was planning on riding for a few more years, I would "bite the bullet" and buy a new 2018/19 Goldwing and not worry about the front suspension issues...Regards and ride safe

Ewreck
12-07-2018, 04:08 PM
Your probably right about the Traxxion deal and I am sure it works fine...But, if I really wanted to spend the money, and was planning on riding for a few more years, I would "bite the bullet" and buy a new 2018/19 Goldwing and not worry about the front suspension issues...Regards and ride safe
Can't argue with that. The new Honda is not my cup of tea but if I was into that style I'd probably buy the BMW. I tend to keep my vehicles at least ten years or more unless I wreck em and I've wrecked a few.

Draxsr
12-07-2018, 08:44 PM
Numerous reports indicate that the front suspension on the new Wings isn't any better than the old.

Ewreck
12-07-2018, 09:31 PM
Numerous reports indicate that the front suspension on the new Wings isn't any better than the old.
Ya but Traxxion has a fix.:rolleyes:

Draxsr
12-08-2018, 09:20 AM
Which puts poor Opus back at square one!

Ewreck
12-08-2018, 10:12 AM
Which puts poor Opus back at square one!
The circle of life.

opas ride
12-08-2018, 10:32 AM

The only negative reports on the new front suspension that I have seen come from the Traxxion people!!..How ironic...Regards

53driver
12-08-2018, 11:51 AM
The only negative reports on the new front suspension that I have seen come from the Traxxion people!!..How ironic...Regards

I suggest you look a bit more in-depth....just sayin'.
Yes, Max has his videos out there and people are watching, but many dealerships have been inundated with service requests with regards to the two tie-bars.
Some legit issues with the rod ends breaking, others just not understanding how the system works and getting educated.
Cheers,
Steve

opas ride
12-08-2018, 03:12 PM
Maybe so, but it is not really an issue for this old "fart" as I will probably never buy another big bike like the Goldwings...Regards

53driver
12-08-2018, 04:51 PM
Maybe so, but it is not really an issue for this old "fart" as I will probably never buy another big bike like the Goldwings...Regards

Hell, I'm 20 years behind you thinking that Isleen is going to be my last bike!

opas ride
12-08-2018, 05:42 PM
Started riding motorcycles in the late 50's, quit for several years while college, jobless, other issues, etc. kept me away until 1973..Started again, and rode for a few years until my wife wanted me to stop while we raised our 5 kids..Got back on bikes again in 1999 (age 59) with a Valkyrie Tour and have had 6 bikes since then..The F6B is one of my favorites among the 20 + bikes I have owned...Winding down now, but hope to ride a few more years if my health holds up...Regards

2wheelsforme
12-08-2018, 06:00 PM
This bike has the best feeling front end of any bike I've ever rode. Runs straight and true hands on or off the bars, does not shake or feel squirrelly ever. No wobble and carves curves with ease and firmness even while making sparks fly. Tires wear evenly and smooth. I would not change it for anything, if it ain't broke don fix it. In my 60s but plan on wearing this one out and starting on another in a few years.

53driver
12-08-2018, 08:22 PM
Hell, I'm 20 years behind you thinking that Isleen is going to be my last bike!

Started riding motorcycles in the late 50's, quit for several years while college, jobless, other issues, etc. kept me away until 1973..Started again, and rode for a few years until my wife wanted me to stop while we raised our 5 kids..Got back on bikes again in 1999 (age 59) with a Valkyrie Tour and have had 6 bikes since then..The F6B is one of my favorites among the 20 + bikes I have owned...Winding down now, but hope to ride a few more years if my health holds up...Regards

Brother, I'm planning on riding as long as you, I just think that Isleen is gonna take me there!

Drive Jehu
12-10-2018, 07:29 PM
My mantra when I was increasing my audio company's inventory: "buy once, cry once."
Get the gear & performance you want when you can afford it.
Of course your F6BX has done SO much already!
Cheers,
Steve

(Traxxion did have a '90 days Same As Cash' thing going on to spread out the payments...)

All,

Today at 116,000 miles I had the $3,500 Traxxion treatment applied to the 2013, F6BX and and I'm excited about my new ride! I'm looking forward to a mountain trip but it will likely be Spring. In the mean time my first impression is limited to a brief 100 interstate miles and a little in town riding.

The interstate: The bike is so much more stable! 90 is the new 70, so to speak. If you want to know how stable my bars feel at 80 mph go sit on your scoot with the engine off, get into riding position and be real still. That's the feeling. Now I do feel the road through them, it's more road now and less bump. It's not a ride on a cloud kind of feel it's more percision. Most notably the bars, hence the bike, feels more solid and it's downright nice. I talked to Traxxion before I got home and asked if they used a tighter spec for the steering stem nut. No they use the Honda spec. They don't feel tighter at low speed. Also the bars do not feel tighter when turning side to side sitting still.

The service: I had mine done at the Traxxion headquarters in Woodstock and they treated me very well. In at 9:30 am and out at 1:45 pm. And the installer, Jacob was steady working whenever I looked in but did not seem to be racing the clock to get to the next job. It was a low pressure work environment and that gives me more confidence in the work I can't see.

The coin: A hard earned $3,500 dropped in a 5+ yr old 116,000 mile bike that's been rode hard and put up wet!?! Yep.
No regrets here.

53driver
12-10-2018, 07:47 PM
All,

Today at 116,000 miles I had the $3,500 Traxxion treatment applied to the 2013, F6BX and and I'm excited about my new ride! I'm looking forward to a mountain trip but it will likely be Spring. In the mean time my first impression is limited to a brief 100 interstate miles and a little in town riding.

The interstate: The bike is so much more stable! 90 is the new 70, so to speak. If you want to know how stable my bars feel at 80 mph go sit on your scoot with the engine off, get into riding position and be real still. That's the feeling. Now I do feel the road through them, it's more road now and less bump. It's not a ride on a cloud kind of feel it's more percision. Most notably the bars, hence the bike, feels more solid and it's downright nice. I talked to Traxxion before I got home and asked if they used a tighter spec for the steering stem nut. No they use the Honda spec. They don't feel tighter at low speed. Also the bars do not feel tighter when turning side to side sitting still.

The service: I had mine done at the Traxxion headquarters in Woodstock and they treated me very well. In at 9:30 am and out at 1:45 pm. And the installer, Jacob was steady working whenever I looked in but did not seem to be racing the clock to get to the next job. It was a low pressure work environment and that gives me more confidence in the work I can't see.

The coin: A hard earned $3,500 dropped in a 5+ yr old 116,000 mile bike that's been rode hard and put up wet!?! Yep.
No regrets here.

That AllBalls steering head bearing set REALLY does makes a huge difference in the feel of the steering pressures and elegance of the ride, don't it? :banana:
And yes, my 0930 appointment had me out of there by 1400. The "low pressure" work environment you speak of is true. I've had mine back there twice since the install for the 25,000 mile servicing and nothing but professionals have touched Isleen.
Just a heads up, the servicing takes about 30 minutes longer than the install because they use your parts, re-machined and/or treated as required, rather than put in the new parts like they did today.

Glad you had a great experience and I'm looking forward to your 1000 mile usage report!
Cheers,
Steve

Pumper
12-11-2018, 01:36 PM
All,

No regrets here.

Spot on, glad you made the move. You will NOT regret it.
Pumper

Drive Jehu
03-03-2019, 07:52 PM
I rolled 120,000 miles today and I'm every bit as pleased with this suspension and would do it again. The machine is on rails. Precision. Responds so nice and predictable. Stability at any speed. More stability than I imagined.

Reminds me of the difference between my comfortable riding 78 Buick Estate Wagon and a later excellent handling 300 SD Mercedes. I'll roll along on my scoot now and have thoughts about going to track days. Haven't been yet. If you take the plunge watch your speedo, faster is now less noticeable. Or maybe it's more fun.

Happy riding

Draxsr
03-03-2019, 10:26 PM
At my 12K service I had Progressive Monotubes and All Balls bearings installed, and it's a brand new bike. The front end is much 'tighter' and solid. I'm a happy camper.

Verismo
03-04-2019, 06:03 AM
At my 12K service I had Progressive Monotubes and All Balls bearings installed, and it's a brand new bike. The front end is much 'tighter' and solid. I'm a happy camper.

Do you mind sharing how much you paid, Draxsr?

Jason

Draxsr
03-04-2019, 07:09 AM
Parts (same prices you'll find from the vendors online) + 6 hours of labor at the "winter" rate.