PDA

View Full Version : 2017-18 Harley Touring recall

taxfree4
11-01-2018, 01:05 PM
All recalled due to clutch locking up @ higher speed.

Ewreck
11-01-2018, 02:13 PM
Oops.

ths61
11-01-2018, 05:19 PM
So their new clutch doesn't slip anymore ?

broncsrule21
11-01-2018, 06:04 PM
180,000 bikes. People laugh when I say I have no desire to own HD.

OlyF6B
11-01-2018, 06:45 PM
Hmmm production line issues? Build quality issues? Makes me wonder if the boys on the line are not happy about the current state of HD finances and plans to go off-shore for some of their production... Nawww... that's a stretch...

taxfree4
11-01-2018, 06:48 PM
So their new clutch doesn't slip anymore ?

Nor any less

taxfree4
11-01-2018, 06:53 PM
The best is my buddy in PA who has one called the local Harley dealer where he bought it and still has a loan on it and said he's wants to bring it in for the recall do they have the parts. They said yes but the parts they have they're going to use on the bikes they want to sell so if he makes an appointment they'll order parts for him. They also told him not to ride the bike until it's fixed. So now he's paying for a bike he can't ride and they won't use parts they have.

JWExperience
11-01-2018, 09:46 PM
The best is my buddy in PA who has one called the local Harley dealer where he bought it and still has a loan on it and said he's wants to bring it in for the recall do they have the parts. They said yes but the parts they have they're going to use on the bikes they want to sell so if he makes an appointment they'll order parts for him. They also told him not to ride the bike until it's fixed. So now he's paying for a bike he can't ride and they won't use parts they have.

Thats a load of BS...I would go to that shop and give them a brain! Customer service these days is ridiculous.

Sorcerer
11-02-2018, 08:00 AM
As I remember the same thing happened on the last GL1800 break recall. Dealers got product first for the new then used bikes in stock. Some dealers would use some of there recall product for there “good” customers. Honda and National Transportation Administration put a stop sales order on new bikes until the recall was preformed. From a lawyers prospective it was all they could do. I waited until spring to have my recall done. I was told once I set up a date to have the recall done they could order the recall kit.

Walcrow
11-02-2018, 08:12 AM
Yep, secondary actuator diaphragm gets replaced. It can get air in the line and then you have no clutch. Harley better hurry up and come out with a quick-shifter like BMW, Aprilia, KTM or if that line gets air in it, you better start down shifting asap to get to neutral when that Kenworth pulls out in front of you.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2018/RCLRPT-18V734-4111.PDF

What's interesting is that they made a production change for this part for the 2019 models which were announced in August at the dealer show so they must have known about the problem long before the 2019's went on sale. My guess is that a few H-D bikers got smashed into a light pole or flattened by Burlington Northern at a crossing with no clutch and BAM!..........here comes the recall after some out-of-court settlements.

F6Dave
11-02-2018, 08:36 AM
After reading the recall notice this doesn't sound like the kind of problem that would cause an accident. You'd just lose the ability to disengage the clutch, which happened to me more than once on older bikes with broken clutch cables. If I owned one, I'd probably keep riding it until the parts were available. But I'd sure keep an eye on the clutch fluid level.

I waited several months to have the recall done on my 2013 F6B. It wasn't a simple fix, so I wanted dealers to get some practice on the procedure. The brake problem showed up on only a small number of the 140,000 or so of recalled GL1800s, and nearly all of them were older bikes that sat around a lot. To my knowledge not a single F6B actually had their brakes lock up.

Walcrow
11-02-2018, 09:18 AM
You're probably correct on that. The Harley's with ABS are a bitch if you bleed the brakes and get air in that line somewhere. You HAVE to go back to the dealer to get the air out of the line due to their ABS system. My guess on the clutch issue is the same old issue of keeping the brake or clutch reservoir with enough fluid when bleeding and not let any air get in the line. If the diaphragm is leaking down by the trans, then the reservoir gets low to the point that air gets in the line and then no clutch action.

53driver
11-02-2018, 09:34 AM
After reading the recall notice this doesn't sound like the kind of problem that would cause an accident. You'd just lose the ability to disengage the clutch, which happened to me more than once on older bikes with broken clutch cables. If I owned one, I'd probably keep riding it until the parts were available. But I'd sure keep an eye on the clutch fluid level.

I waited several months to have the recall done on my 2013 F6B. It wasn't a simple fix, so I wanted dealers to get some practice on the procedure. The brake problem showed up on only a small number of the 140,000 or so of recalled GL1800s, and nearly all of them were older bikes that sat around a lot. To my knowledge not a single F6B actually had their brakes lock up.

I know one of our members had it happen on his F6B...
He did write about it somewhere in these pages.
Cheers,
Steve

edgeman55
11-02-2018, 02:39 PM
I know one of our members had it happen on his F6B...
He did write about it somewhere in these pages.
Cheers,
Steve

That would be me Steve.On my 13 I was coming down a 7% grade into Reno when the bike started to slow down on it's own and the wham the rear brake locked up.Everything happened so fast to this day I don't know how I kept the bike up and thank god there was a place to skid off the road.Bike went in the shop and brake recall was done along with a new rear rotor as it got cheery red after lockup.Bike was just over a year old at the time and it had the brakes bleed two months before.Have not had any problems since the recall was done.