PDA

View Full Version : checking out a 2016 F6B got questions

ledcat
11-05-2018, 02:18 PM
Hey all, been looking and found a 2016 f6b with 15k. Some scuffs here and there on the saddlebags, alot of looks like wax on the black plastic. The previous owner, not in contact with, this bike is at a used bike dealer, FYI. This bike has a car tire for a rear tire, tried the search function and came up with nothing in regards to "car tire". Whats with the car tire tire out back, you folks running this setup, how is it?Also, the link to the The radio-knob-key thing for the bags/gas cap/accessory cubby is EXTREMELY convenient http://hondaf6b.com/showthread.php?8...ghlight=owner (http://hondaf6b.com/showthread.php?80-How-to-make-a-glove-box-key&highlight=owners) doesn't get to where I think it should be, how do I get this item? Previous owner for some reason took off all the badges on the bike. The round ones on the side have been replaced with some logo that lights up, kinda wierd, F6B logos removed on each side cover, the goldwing logo on the console was covered up, can't remember about the front.

Ixol Phaane
11-05-2018, 02:39 PM
Hey, ledcat... sounds like you've found a little gem, maybe... depending on the price. A few scuffs here and there won't affect the ride...and it is a GREAT ride... and you may be able to clean 'em up and pretty her up fairly easily if they aren't deep.

As for the car tire on the back... quite a few members swear by the "dark side" and the mileage on a car tire with that setup vs replacing a motorcycle tire every 10-20k miles. If you search dark side, I'm sure you'll find plenty of opinions. ;)

The badges are another thing... just the former owner's way of personalizing his/her bike. The F6B is a bit of a surprise to a lot of folks, and de-badging it keeps people in the dark about what machine it is. Some riders just like the cleaner look of the bike without her badges.

The radio-knob-key thing is a custom item that lots of riders have made for themselves. I don't think I've ever read about someone building them out for retail... but it's not difficult to make that accessory on your own.

I'm sure you'll hear from others shortly.

Ride safe, my friend.

ledcat
11-05-2018, 05:32 PM
Previous owner had removed the fairing badges and put some round logo item in it's place that lights up with everything else. Have no idea what the logo stands for. Off to search for the dark side. WoW, who knew about the darkside, after an hour down there, I know alot more about what you folks are doing.

Cali261
11-05-2018, 10:51 PM
Hey all, been looking and found a 2016 f6b with 15k. Some scuffs here and there on the saddlebags, alot of looks like wax on the black plastic. The previous owner, not in contact with, this bike is at a used bike dealer, FYI. This bike has a car tire for a rear tire, tried the search function and came up with nothing in regards to "car tire". Whats with the car tire tire out back, you folks running this setup, how is it?Also, the link to the The radio-knob-key thing for the bags/gas cap/accessory cubby is EXTREMELY convenient http://hondaf6b.com/showthread.php?8...ghlight=owner (http://hondaf6b.com/showthread.php?80-How-to-make-a-glove-box-key&highlight=owners) doesn't get to where I think it should be, how do I get this item? Previous owner for some reason took off all the badges on the bike. The round ones on the side have been replaced with some logo that lights up, kinda wierd, F6B logos removed on each side cover, the goldwing logo on the console was covered up, can't remember about the front.

Link to the key knobs...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUJ48PtQgik

DarkKnt
11-05-2018, 10:57 PM
I'm surprised a dealer would sell a bike with a car tire on it, if only for liability issues... and yes, yes you darkside kooks, I know how much you love them....

ledcat
11-05-2018, 11:02 PM
Thanks for that. Will these keys start the bike, or only the honda key will start it cause it has a chip in it?

Bryster
11-06-2018, 04:43 AM
Yep, only the Honda key... No transponder in the cut ones.

2wheelsforme
11-06-2018, 07:44 AM
No transponder or chip in any of the F6B keys. The low cost cut keys you get from Lowes are a tad bit shorter and will only unlock the cubby and bags and not the ignition. Most times!

F6Dave
11-06-2018, 04:06 PM
I'm surprised a dealer would sell a bike with a car tire on it, if only for liability issues... and yes, yes you darkside kooks, I know how much you love them....

Agreed, that surprised me too. Some dealers will put new OEM tires on many of their used motorcycles, just to cover themselves legally.

jmdaniel
11-06-2018, 05:02 PM
Agreed, that surprised me too. Some dealers will put new OEM tires on many of their used motorcycles, just to cover themselves legally.

I'm surprised anyone is interested in a gray 2016, when the matte white is clearly the more stunning color!

ledcat
11-06-2018, 05:35 PM
These guys aren't a honda dealer, their like a used car lot for motorcycles, do we have auctions for motorcycles like cars these days? Also, noted alot of what appears to be car wax carryover to the black plastic pieces. I am assuming someone went a little crazy waxing it, or does this have something to do with the paint issues, no clearcoat? Hoping back to black takes it off. This one is the matte white. Any idea what these lighted badges on the side fairing are from, no pictures yet?

olegoat345
11-06-2018, 07:19 PM
New 2016 B on ebay for 15,898.00 OTD, no fees, "0" miles, location NC. Fly in, ride home

olegoat345
11-06-2018, 07:24 PM
Matte finish? do not wax it !

ledcat
11-06-2018, 07:40 PM
Is the white a matte finish? If so, if this guy waxed it what did he do to the finish?? Why would you wax a matte finish come to think of it??

jmdaniel
11-07-2018, 12:34 AM
Is the white a matte finish? If so, if this guy waxed it what did he do to the finish?? Why would you wax a matte finish come to think of it??

Run. Run like the wind. Don't look back.

Big TP
11-07-2018, 08:03 AM
Yeah, sounds like you should keep looking.

olegoat345
11-07-2018, 11:33 AM
+1 & +1...…….... Wax screws up the finish. I was in a custom paint shop 2 weeks ago, painter was redoing / painting a area where the owner waxed the matte on a Scout. After waxing, It's not matte & it will not shine, uneven looking paint & it looked like s--t.
Keep looking..... there's lots of nice "B's" on here for sale, in the search bar, top right, type "bikes for sale" check out the old ads too.

ledcat
11-07-2018, 12:04 PM
Hello folks, thanks for all the info. I would like to share my experience with you on checking this vehicle out and the short test drive I went on.
This was a used 2016 white delux model with approx 17k on it. Besides what came with it on the delux and 2016, the previous owner had Rivco hiway pegs, driving lights that were turn signals, running lights, clear lenses on the front turn signals that were running lights, modulators on the Hi beam, heated seats, rear rack, extra brake lights, rider backrest, bellypan,with what looked like silver insulation above it.. All this stuff worked as I thought it should. All the emblems were removed, and a lighted one on the side added where the round honda emblem would be on the fairing. I'll post a picture of the eblem, maybe you can tell me what it stands for. Sounds sweet right? What I didn't like, was the lower triple clamp had alot of rust on it where it clamps to the fork, some rust on the fork itself running down from the triple clamp. Rust in places I would not expect, must have been stored outside. I took the plastic covers off the handlebars mounts and there was rust everywhere here. I think water sat in there for a while, maybe it's a little thing, but not what I expected. Alot of the black plastic was discolored in a weird white stain thought it was wax, but not sure, on the saddlebag releases inner fairing, the seat, just weird in my opinion. Front fender was cracked where the fender extender was mounted just like I learned here. The rear tire was a car tire as I previously stated, a BridgestoneRE960AS run flat. Paint was coming off the rear wheel, and I surmised this was a goldwing wheel painted black and the paint was coming off of it. Lots of rust on the wheel weights here, which I also did not expect. I checked the tire pressures and was surprised to see 25psi in each tire. That's pretty low to me, but they had just ridden it 200 miles what do I know, haven't owned a wing before. I did know from the dark side post run flats should be 32-34 I believe, non run flats higher. So, I geared up and took it for a test drive, before I got very far I realized this was a beast to get it to lean or even steer, I felt unsafe, granted I have not ridden a wing or F65B before so it's probably just me. I turned around and came and said this isn't for me. That ended my F6B dream for now. So, tell me, was I wrong? Are these bikes alot harder to handle than a sport touring bike or a sport bike, was the condition just little stuff, someone more experienced would be OK with? I know I should have given the bike more of a chance on the test ride, but I did not feel safe, and did not want to wreck it, maybe just scared. I do want to say the price was low comparatively, 12k they are gonna post if for. Maybe it's for someone here with more knowledge.

opas ride
11-07-2018, 01:00 PM
Sounds to me like your very unsure about this purchase..From what I have read, and my personal opinion, I would not touch this bike with a "10 foot pole"....There are many really good buys on used F6B's out there....Stay away from this one is my input!!!!....Regards

jmdaniel
11-07-2018, 01:31 PM
Hello folks, thanks for all the info. I would like to share my experience with you on checking this vehicle out and the short test drive I went on.
This was a used 2016 white delux model with approx 17k on it. Besides what came with it on the delux and 2016, the previous owner had Rivco hiway pegs, driving lights that were turn signals, running lights, clear lenses on the front turn signals that were running lights, modulators on the Hi beam, heated seats, rear rack, extra brake lights, rider backrest, bellypan,with what looked like silver insulation above it.. All this stuff worked as I thought it should. All the emblems were removed, and a lighted one on the side added where the round honda emblem would be on the fairing. I'll post a picture of the eblem, maybe you can tell me what it stands for. Sounds sweet right? What I didn't like, was the lower triple clamp had alot of rust on it where it clamps to the fork, some rust on the fork itself running down from the triple clamp. Rust in places I would not expect, must have been stored outside. I took the plastic covers off the handlebars mounts and there was rust everywhere here. I think water sat in there for a while, maybe it's a little thing, but not what I expected. Alot of the black plastic was discolored in a weird white stain thought it was wax, but not sure, on the saddlebag releases inner fairing, the seat, just weird in my opinion. Front fender was cracked where the fender extender was mounted just like I learned here. The rear tire was a car tire as I previously stated, a BridgestoneRE960AS run flat. Paint was coming off the rear wheel, and I surmised this was a goldwing wheel painted black and the paint was coming off of it. Lots of rust on the wheel weights here, which I also did not expect. I checked the tire pressures and was surprised to see 25psi in each tire. That's pretty low to me, but they had just ridden it 200 miles what do I know, haven't owned a wing before. I did know from the dark side post run flats should be 32-34 I believe, non run flats higher. So, I geared up and took it for a test drive, before I got very far I realized this was a beast to get it to lean or even steer, I felt unsafe, granted I have not ridden a wing or F65B before so it's probably just me. I turned around and came and said this isn't for me. That ended my F6B dream for now. So, tell me, was I wrong? Are these bikes alot harder to handle than a sport touring bike or a sport bike, was the condition just little stuff, someone more experienced would be OK with? I know I should have given the bike more of a chance on the test ride, but I did not feel safe, and did not want to wreck it, maybe just scared. I do want to say the price was low comparatively, 12k they are gonna post if for. Maybe it's for someone here with more knowledge.

Run like hell.

JGF6B
11-07-2018, 01:51 PM

Ride another one for reference. I've never thought of the f6b as difficult to ride or poor handling.

F6Dave
11-07-2018, 02:00 PM
Ride another one for reference. I've never thought of the f6b as difficult to ride or poor handling.

Absolutely, they handle great for such a large bike. They're kind of a sport tourer for old guys! The handling problems could be due to the car tire with low pressure. But the other issues like rust and paint damage would sure scare me away. There are plenty of motorcycle bargains in the winter months. I'd keep looking.

Big TP
11-07-2018, 02:08 PM
Ledcat---What you found there was the woman at the end of the bar at 2 am just looking for someone to take her home that has been ridden hard and not treated well.
Keep looking...

ledcat
11-07-2018, 02:48 PM
Yes, definitely need to find another one for reference. I coming off of riding naked bike every day, but I never thought it would it be that difficult to lean over. I would like to ride one without the low pressure car tire in the rear. Prefer this than going with an FJR or Concours 14.

olegoat345
11-07-2018, 03:21 PM
I keep my tire PSI @ 42r & 40f as per AVON reps. suggestion. Could be tire pressure, rear shock could be cranked up to high, could be tires, forks. With all the flooding we've had all over the country, this bike may have gone under, which would account for the rust, discoloration, screwed up suspension, thus bad ride, bad bike = equals, "walk away."
I've never had a problem getting the B's lean over & drag pegs, then flip it back to the other side & drag them again. Just a little butt english + a little counter steer and she's ready to rock...test ride one at a Honda dealer.
Leave that bike where it sits. There'll be some great B's for sale, on our forum, craigslist, cycle trader, ebay at a fair price from now, through the winter. I had great luck selling my Indian Chief on cycle trader & I found the best bike I've ever owned on this forum..I told you about the new '15 left over in NC...Keep looking, your bike's out there.

Big TP
11-07-2018, 03:32 PM
i keep my tire psi @ 42r & 40f as per avon reps. Suggestion. Could be tire pressure, rear shock could be cranked up to high, could be tires, forks. With all the flooding we've had all over the country, this bike may have gone under, which would account for the rust, discoloration, screwed up suspension, thus bad ride, bad bike = equals, "walk away."
i've never had a problem getting the b's lean over & drag pegs, then flip it back to the other side & drag them again. Just a little butt english + a little counter steer and she's ready to rock...test ride one at a honda dealer.
Leave that bike where it sits. There'll be some great b's for sale, on our forum, craigslist, cycle trader, ebay at a fair price from now, through the winter. I had great luck selling my indian chief on cycle trader & i found the best bike i've ever owned on this forum..i told you about the new '15 left over in nc...keep looking, your bike's out there.

Exactly!!!

ledcat
11-07-2018, 05:09 PM
Thanks folks, I knew that was the smart decision, but it had everything I wanted plus the color and year where icing on the cake. Not known for restraint, but used some today.

Fingerz
11-07-2018, 05:48 PM
Ride another bike. I came off a sport bike (R1) and straight to the B. The bike handles well for its size. It took a few minutes of riding it in a parking lot to adjust. Fifteen minutes later I took it on the rode. No issues getting it to lean or scrape. My tires are stock and at stock psi. I should have given up the sport bike a long time ago. The B really is a great ride. I have a 2016 Deluxe in matte white (the best color!).

unsub
11-07-2018, 06:14 PM
Hi there ledcat...that sure looks like some POS. not well looked after. I recall you writing it was through a dealer. Shame really, that you're unable to talk to the previous owner for some history. There are a whole bunch of reasons the bike could be in that condition. Owner neglect or environment...whatever. Lit badges tell me that at least one of the owners was likely a member here at one time.

I live in the North West in a rain forest climate and my 5 year old B looks brand new..

All owner riders here would agree (holy sh_t, a milestone!) that you will be pleasantly surprised when you ride an F6B that's been cared for.

They are elegant and powerful - a true pleasure to ride. To quote a respected on again, off again member..."Best Bike Ever!"

Good luck to you.

53driver
11-07-2018, 07:49 PM
....To quote a respected on again, off again member..."Best Bike Ever!"

Very respected.
I do miss her 'round these parts!
She had cool stuff to share and was as genuine as they come.
She has the most mileage with forum members - discounting rally time.
She still rides circles around everyone I know, and with a smile on her face.
3 years, over 75,000 miles, and that's not commuting nor the entirety of last summer ('17) when she walked across Spain.

ledcat
11-07-2018, 09:11 PM
Hi there ledcat...that sure looks like some POS. not well looked after. I recall you writing it was through a dealer. Shame really, that you're unable to talk to the previous owner for some history. There are a whole bunch of reasons the bike could be in that condition. Owner neglect or environment...whatever. Lit badges tell me that at least one of the owners was likely a member here at one time.

I live in the North West in a rain forest climate and my 5 year old B looks brand new..

All owner riders here would agree (holy sh_t, a milestone!) that you will be pleasantly surprised when you ride an F6B that's been cared for.

They are elegant and powerful - a true pleasure to ride. To quote a respected on again, off again member..."Best Bike Ever!"

Good luck to you.

Do you recognize that badge, just trying to figure out where that came from? Yes, it is a shame, No contact from previous owner, would have liked to get the OEM wheel, and here the history, maybe would have made me feel better about it.