PDA

View Full Version : It Never Gets Old

unsub
11-20-2018, 09:53 AM
I had some business to conduct the other day. I happened to park next to the front door of the building. After business was concluded I was walking through the hallway to the elevator with helmet in tow. I was stopped twice by random strangers asking if "that beautiful bike outside" was mine. Neither had never seen a Honda like that before. They were surprised when I said it was a 2013 GL1800. Same thing happened a few weeks ago in another part of town.
Honda Goldwing F6B Best Bike Ever......that never sold! Maybe we should have a charity ride for Honda F6B awareness and sell pins and ribbons. You know, just to raise public awareness of our affliction.

olegoat345
11-20-2018, 10:14 AM
I think we've all had that happen. At one point I took a couple of 62mm Toyota wheel badges, used some dbl. side tape to attach them over the Honda badges on the side cowlings. Several people ask / said, when or I didn't know Toyota start or was making motorcycles. I'd say to a few, it's a "one of a kind, proto type for testing," then laugh & fess up what I had done. Others would look, check it over, scratch their head & walk away. It really gets them if you just say, "oh, it's a F6B." ………………….. but let's face it, it's a beautiful looking, great riding, great handling motorcycle. I'm glad they're not everywhere like some makes & models. I've always liked things a bit different than the rest of the pack.

DaWadd
11-20-2018, 10:45 AM
Never could understand why they weren't
a big hit. Beautiful bikes. Around here everyone chooses HD for the most part. I still get quite a few compliments .

jm21ddd15
11-20-2018, 11:35 AM
a big hit. Beautiful bikes.

I think one reason they didn't sell, is because many, many motorcyclist, are "two up" riders, with their spouse. Most passengers (spouses) would much rather have the comforts of the full Wing, making the F6B, more of a 1-up ride. Works great for me, as I always ride solo.

olegoat345
11-20-2018, 01:56 PM
My G/F rides her Scout (like a bat outa hell) & I ride my B (as hard as it takes to keep up). Haven't had a rider in 12-15 years & don't want one. Besides that I have a Corbin Smuggler w/ a RDL seat.,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, sooo there's no place for a rider & that's the way I kike it!.
In my opinion, see one HD, you've just about seen them all. Very little diff. in models & years...…………..in my opinion

VStarRider
11-20-2018, 07:49 PM
a big hit. Beautiful bikes. Around here everyone chooses HD for the most part. I still get quite a few compliments .

I think I own one of maybe 10 or 12 in this area.

Meanwhile, while watching bikes ride by my house on a random spot check, 20 out of 20 were Harleys. Is it the northern climates we live in? Shorter riding season --> bikes more fashion than function?

broncsrule21
11-21-2018, 11:12 AM
I don't know how many people have asked me " is that the new Goldwing?". They are shocked when I tell them its a 2013.

opas ride
11-21-2018, 11:44 AM
I had a guy come by the other day to give me an estimate on snow removal for winter...Noticed he had on a Harley jacket so we talked bikes for a few minutes and he was really "hung up" on HD...Said he had just bought a new 2018 Street Glide and put over $12,000 in up-grades to motor and suspension etc..Showed him my 2013 F6B and he said "Wow that is a really nice looking bike, I have never seen one like that before, it it new??..Joking I said no, but I really enjoy "blowing the doors" off HD's..He responded, "is it that fast and how much money do you have in the motor"?..Told him it was stock except for K&N filter and Cobra pipes and I had not yet run any Harley's that could keep up with me....He challenged me to a run next Spring if we meet up sometime...If it happens we'll see!!...Regards and ride safe

VStarRider
11-21-2018, 07:26 PM
Opas,

1. I had a lifetime Harley guy sit on my F6 at a rest stop (the one pictured below my name). He could not believe how big of a bike it was compared to his Ultra, yet how light it felt when off the side stand. I let him fire it up and he was amazed at how quiet it was with no vibration. He said, "this must be a dream to ride!" I said it is very pleasant. Before he fired up his noisemaker, he said he was gonna look for one used.

2. Is the main character in Gran Torino based on you?

valkmc
11-22-2018, 10:59 AM
I had a couple on an HD pull next to me at a light, he said is that the new Wing. I laughed and said no it's a 2013!

tenxxx
11-22-2018, 11:07 AM
I get a kick when a guy on a loud Harley tries to talk to me at a light.
I cant hear him so I just nod.
Or a Harley pulls up and the chick on the back is tapping on him to look but he just looks straight forward.
Then roars away. I let him go till I can hear again.

edgeman55
11-22-2018, 01:28 PM
Opas,

2. Is the main character in Gran Torino based on you?

Now thats funny.:rolleyes:

shortleg0521
11-25-2018, 01:55 PM
That is what happens all the time with both the F6B and the old Valk. Interstate I have with the trunk taken off.
Both of these bikes just never got any respect just like Mr Dangerfield.

F6Dave
11-26-2018, 09:49 AM
I had a couple on an HD pull next to me at a light, he said is that the new Wing. I laughed and said no it's a 2013!

The same thing has happened to me several times. Just two weeks ago, someone in a parking lot asked if my F6B was the 'New Goldwing'. They are really surprised if you tell them it's basically the same Goldwing Honda introduced 18 years ago!

The GL1800 design has aged very well, and the F6B is the best looking version by far. I would not be surprised if a few years from now, the 'New' Wing looks more dated than the F6B.

unsub
11-28-2018, 08:37 AM
I would not be surprised if a few years from now, the 'New' Wing looks more dated than the F6B.

You have a good point. IMHO the F6B design ages very well. When it's tucked away for the winter I often just stop and admire the style as I pass through the shop.

Frye
12-01-2018, 10:44 PM
I pulled out and turned left onto a 4 lane road in Terre Haute Indiana a few years back on the Valk.

It was a fairly aggressive turn and Little Martha was on the left peg a little and showing her headers (I called it lifting up her skirt) to a pickup in the slow lane. As we both stopped at the next light the guy in the pickup drops his window and says "Just how bigga motor have you got in the summabitch?" :cool:

53driver
12-01-2018, 10:58 PM
I pulled out and turned left onto a 4 lane road in Terre Haute Indiana a few years back on the Valk.

It was a fairly aggressive turn and Little Martha was on the left peg a little and showing her headers (I called it lifting up her skirt) to a pickup in the slow lane. As we both stopped at the next light the guy in the pickup drops his window and says "Just how bigga motor have you got in the summabitch?" :cool:

That's funny!

BlueF6B
12-01-2018, 11:49 PM
Five of us from East Texas rode to California and rode Hwy 1 PCH and hit all the National Parks along the way. On the return we spent the night in Roswell N.M. As we were getting ready to leave the next morning we had our 5 Gold Wings parked under the awning, loading up. When this older couple came over, said he used to ride.Saw our Texas tags and asked if we had ridden all the way from Texas. We told him we were on our way back from California by the way of Las Vegas. He looked at his wife and shook his head and turned to us and said "Y'all are to Old to be riding." At the time our ages range from 65 to 81. We are down to just Two of us but still riding!

F6Dave
12-02-2018, 01:55 PM
You have a good point. IMHO the F6B design ages very well. When it's tucked away for the winter I often just stop and admire the style as I pass through the shop.

When Honda moved manufacturing from Ohio to Japan and introduced the slightly redesigned 2012 Wing, I really didn't like the looks. The 2-tone paint scheme looked a little gaudy, and the angular bags made the rounded off trunk look like an aftermarket add-on.

The F6B came along a year later. With no trunk and a slightly smaller fairing those angular bags looked perfect. It was the best looking Goldwing ever made. I have to think Honda had the F6B in mind when they restyled the 2012 Wing.

Vandal
12-09-2018, 08:59 AM
I get it quite often. Strangers at stop lights roll down their windows to ask what kind of bike mine is, since I have the Honda badges covered by my requisite Marine Corps emblems. Especially with the bright yellow and black contrast it is an attention getter. Everyone thinks it's a 2019 something or other. In a sea of black Harleys people are always drawn to the unique and advanced looking F6b for some reason. I enjoy meeting the strangers who are genuinely interested in a bike style they rarely see but feel compelled to ask about. Then there's always that head snap back when you tell them it's a Gold Wing. Good times.

53driver
12-09-2018, 10:18 AM
I get it quite often. Strangers at stop lights roll down their windows to ask what kind of bike mine is, since I have the Honda badges covered by my requisite Marine Corps emblems. Especially with the bright yellow and black contrast it is an attention getter. Everyone thinks it's a 2019 something or other. In a sea of black Harleys people are always drawn to the unique and advanced looking F6b for some reason. I enjoy meeting the strangers who are genuinely interested in a bike style they rarely see but feel compelled to ask about. Then there's always that head snap back when you tell them it's a Gold Wing. Good times.

<bark><woof>
Semper Fi!

InvictusF6B
01-10-2019, 11:24 PM
Glad to know mine isn't the only one getting love out there. Just yesterday two guys refused to believe that it was Honda muchless a 2015. I finally pulled out my owners manual to convince them lol.

53driver
01-11-2019, 10:55 AM
Glad to know mine isn't the only one getting love out there. Just yesterday two guys refused to believe that it was Honda muchless a 2015. I finally pulled out my owners manual to convince them lol.

Convincing people that Isleen is a Honda has proven more difficult since I removed the two Honda badges from the front & rear. (They were difficult to clean around)
So her only stock markings are "F6B" on the side panels and the itty bitty square Gold Wing logo between the Info & Trip buttons.
I've told people it's a prototype electric Harley, I point to the folded Rivco pegs and explain that those are the positive & negative 'nodes.'
Also, it comes with quasi-realistic exhaust noises.
Too much fun!

Big Jay
01-11-2019, 05:53 PM
That's funny stuff right there.

Vf6cruiser
01-13-2019, 08:23 AM
If you want some fun ride into a Honda car dealership and wait til they see the badges on this bike.......funny stuff

VStarRider
01-14-2019, 07:21 PM
The general population is unaware that Honda makes motorcycles, generators, outboard motors, watercraft, go kart engines, aircraft engines, ATVs, SxSs, lawnmowers, and whatever else I am forgetting.

For the record, the F6B as a model first got my attention in a GEICO commercial several years ago.