PDA

View Full Version : I feel like I went to the dark side

shortleg0521
11-25-2018, 09:13 PM
What I mean is I got my first Apple pad.
I haven't even taken it out of box yet, because when I do
that's when my brain goes soft and it all changes. It is said
once you that place there is no coming back!
Oh God help me what do I do?

Navvet
11-25-2018, 10:09 PM
Four rounds from a 45 should take care of it and keep you safe.

olegoat345
11-25-2018, 11:03 PM
play with it, you'll figure it out.

53driver
11-25-2018, 11:14 PM
I have Apple products in this house, but because of their political donation habits, I'll never buy another one.
Cheers,
Steve

RuneRider66
11-26-2018, 09:06 AM
+1 FOR SURE!
Agreed and Supported

opas ride
11-26-2018, 12:42 PM
I have Apple products in this house, but because of their political donation habits, I'll never buy another one.
Cheers,
Steve

In all due respect, isn't that kind of "narrow minded" to a point...If they make great products, which they do, what difference does it really make!!!...Regards

F6Joe
11-26-2018, 01:08 PM
In all due respect, isn't that kind of "narrow minded" to a point...If they make great products, which they do, what difference does it really make!!!...Regards

Well, "things matter" to some folks. I have not watched football since some decided to show disrespect, and I was a football fan, big time. How to avoid Apple and Google, that is a big issue.

53driver
11-26-2018, 01:16 PM
Cheers,
Steve

No offense taken, my friend. It's all good.

But 'narrow minded'? I think not.
I believe having the courage of one's convictions in all manner of living - including what businesses to patronize - is the ONLY way to live a healthy life.
It's just like I will not have an American flag flying from my Japanese motorcycle.
Yes, I bought a Japanese motorcycle, but I still look at it with some shame at times.
Yes, I bought a Harley Davidson, and I look at it with shame sometimes too - for being American and yet willfully not being better.

I can avoid Apple, so I shall.
I can avoid many things, so I do.
Some things cannot be avoided, but it doesn't mean they are the right thing. (i.e. why do we always vote for the 'lesser of the two evils' in our elections?)

So, 'narrow"? Nah. Conscientiously enlightened? Perhaps.
Cheers,
Steve

tenxxx
11-26-2018, 02:08 PM
Thee BEST by far laptop and phone I have ever owned. Not one problem unlike win blows.
They don't give info to the feds.
Its a little different, but easy to get around.
You go to the top menu to close programs and things are categorized.
The phone and laptop actually link up nice. You have face time. nice and secure.
And Apple routers are as fast or faster and trouble free as any of the others.
The best thing I did was put a digital drive in the laptop. Talk about fast, blows the old hdd away.
You will like it in time.

opas ride
11-26-2018, 02:18 PM
No offense taken, my friend. It's all good.

But 'narrow minded'? I think not.
I believe having the courage of one's convictions in all manner of living - including what businesses to patronize - is the ONLY way to live a healthy life.
It's just like I will not have an American flag flying from my Japanese motorcycle.
Yes, I bought a Japanese motorcycle, but I still look at it with some shame at times.
Yes, I bought a Harley Davidson, and I look at it with shame sometimes too - for being American and yet willfully not being better.

I can avoid Apple, so I shall.
I can avoid many things, so I do.
Some things cannot be avoided, but it doesn't mean they are the right thing. (i.e. why do we always vote for the 'lesser of the two evils' in our elections?)

So, 'narrow"? Nah. Conscientiously enlightened? Perhaps.
Cheers,
Steve

Okay, you win this one....But it does not mean I will quit using my Apple I phone 6p...Can't figure it out half the time anyway.....Regards and ride safe

53driver
11-26-2018, 02:24 PM
Okay, you win this one....But it does not mean I will quit using my Apple I phone 6p...Can't figure it out half the time anyway.....Regards and ride safe

Win? Nah. It's all trade-offs.
I have an iPad and I'm currently typing this from an iMac.
Apple has the ONLY iPad app for my Presonus 24 channel mixer that allows me to mix bands remotely from the audience area.
So, a necessary evil, and to thicken the dough, because it is so 'old' - still has the 'fat plug' - it doesn't update anymore and that tends to frost my cookies.

Anyway, tech is just another tool set, not a lifestyle.
Motorcycle riders "get that."
Cheers,
Steve

lloydmoore1
11-26-2018, 08:40 PM
Shortleg
Good on you for embracing change. Enjoy and go at your own pace. I just gave my wife a new one for her birthday, she then gave her old one to her 84 year old mother. My mother in-law now uses it for Mahjong and solitaire. She has also just joined Facebook so hey it is a blessing.
Don't listen to the Navy guy and shoot it with a 45.....too funny.

shortleg0521
11-27-2018, 07:38 AM
I have to admit that I Did think about what and how the company dose with their money.
Sometimes I have let that influence where my money goes.
It is one way that we as American still have a little power.
And I will keep this kind of thinking always.

Retired Army
11-28-2018, 10:20 AM
Try gargling with fifth of Jim Beam and don't spit any out.

F6Dave
11-28-2018, 10:55 AM
Several years ago the iPhone's success was sometimes compared with Harley Davidson's. That's because they both had a 'cool' factor that allowed them to charge a premium for their products. Harley's waiting lists and high prices were a result, as were people camping outside of Apple stores so they could buy new releases of the iPhone. Those days are long gone for Harley, and if recent iPhone sales numbers are an indication, Apple's fortunes could be changing too.

As for the politics, I'm no fan of either Apple or Google. In fact, I'd say Google is more actively pushing a leftist agenda than Apple. The last tech CEO I can think of that had even moderate political views was Steve Ballmer. So whether I use iOS or Android, I'm supporting causes I personally don't agree with. Since a phone is practically a necessity these days, there's not much I can do about it. It's kind of like paying taxes!

3Chief
11-28-2018, 02:54 PM
I can enjoy their products and not their ideology. I have friends the same way, I enjoy their company up until ideology comes up then I'm done. I enjoy the "Symbology" of HD but their products are garbage as far as I'm concern. Like 53driver alluded to, it's a shame they deliberately build an inferior product. I buy made in the USA where I can and try to avoid certain companies as best I can. Not easy these days as everything/everyone in intertwined.

Keep voting, buy local and support causes you believe in as best you can. That's about all any of us can do.

F6Dave
11-29-2018, 09:33 AM
Like 53driver alluded to, it's a shame they deliberately build an inferior product.

I almost feel sorry for H-D, because their faithful customer base expects them to stick with the outdated technology. When they sell a bike with a superior modern engine design like the V-Rod, nobody buys them. So they're stuck between a rock and a hard place.

It looks like their new 'Milwaukee 8' engine may be an improvement. 4 valves per cylinder and liquid cooling (on one model) have to make a difference. I know that engine heat had become a real problem as they have to run them very lean to meet emission standards. One H-D rider told me that his runs so hot in traffic that the computer often shuts down the rear cylinder when the bike is sitting at a light.

opas ride
11-29-2018, 10:51 AM
I almost feel sorry for H-D, because their faithful customer base expects them to stick with the outdated technology. When they sell a bike with a superior modern engine design like the V-Rod, nobody buys them. So they're stuck between a rock and a hard place.

It looks like their new 'Milwaukee 8' engine may be an improvement. 4 valves per cylinder and liquid cooling (on one model) have to make a difference. I know that engine heat had become a real problem as they have to run them very lean to meet emission standards. One H-D rider told me that his runs so hot in traffic that the computer often shuts down the rear cylinder when the bike is sitting at a light.

I think the motor is designed to stop the rear cylinder when the thing gets hot..The new Indians have this same feature to help cool the rear cylinder in traffic..Regards

ths61
11-29-2018, 01:10 PM
I think the motor is designed to stop the rear cylinder when the thing gets hot..The new Indians have this same feature to help cool the rear cylinder in traffic..Regards

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I65_S78WHJY

opas ride
11-29-2018, 03:44 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I65_S78WHJY

Who needs an open fire to roast nuts???..Just take a HD or Indian Chieftain for a ride in traffic and hot weather!!!....Merry Christmas to all.....

Blk6bgg6
11-29-2018, 07:33 PM
Man that's the truth.Buddy's sporty in town on hot day ,strike that on the road spirited riding.! Literally jumps off and sometimes jumps up and down claiming his ass and balls are on fire..! I can't help laughing you just have to see it and I push it hard so it gets hot

tenxxx
11-30-2018, 05:46 AM
My Harley buddy says the rear cylinder shuts down at every stop to keep it from getting hot.
As soon as you give it gas it starts firing again.
We usually ride each others bikes when were out but he thinks my B is too big and he's afraid to drop it?
Which is fine with me.