PDA

View Full Version : Talk to me about bike alarms

Vandal
12-20-2018, 10:03 AM
Just because I love my b, what alarms are you guys using on your bikes? I see the Gorilla 9000 seems to be a nice easy install and functional alarm. I will be doing some longer hauls next year on my bike and want to get an alarm on it. What's the more popular brand out there?

53driver
12-20-2018, 11:08 AM
I don't use an alarm. In fact, I know people who just leave the F6B key in the ignition wherever they go.
The F6B - due to poor marketing, etc - isn't considered a "prize" bike.
And? If someone REALLY wants to steal your bike, they're gonna do it. Doesn't matter how many chains, alarms, or locks are on it.
I've had Isleen all across the country, and while people give her a second look, that's about it.
I'll leave her parked in any reasonably lit parking area without worry.
But like oil selection, whatever you are comfortable with will definitely help you sleep better.
Cheers,
Steve

RuneRider66
12-20-2018, 11:34 AM
+1 Steve
I am one who leaves the key in the ignition. I keep an extra hidden on the bike. I have ridden all over the east coast. Guys I ride with lock their bikes down and take their keys and helmets with them and everything that is not locked down. But for the most part motorcyclist are good people and dont mess with other peoples stuff and those that are not bikers or motorcyclists as in the general public, they are afraid to mess with the bikes. FOR THE MOST PART.
I do not leave my cell phone on the bike and my carry tool is usually on me. In my years of riding which includes New York City and Boston and Myrtle Beach, Knoxville, Atlanta and Charlotte I have never had anyone mess with my bike or my stuff.
Even my saddle bags are rarely locked.
Yes, you may call me stupid and say that I am inviting trouble. I am not sure that I would agree. But to each his own. It has worked for me over the years and I am fine with the risk. I imagine that if I had my 500 dollar helmet or my radar detector or my go pro stolen I would feel differently but to this point none of that has happened.
I am not a KNOW IT ALL person and I respect others decisions. To each his own. But please take that alarm money and put it towards a Traxxion Dynamics system. :)

jm21ddd15
12-20-2018, 12:03 PM
Locks only keep honest people honest. If crooks want your bike, they will get it, no matter how you secure it. Pro crooks know how to defeat locks, cables and chains. I don't leave any "valuables" in plain sight, when I park the bike.

2wheelsforme
12-20-2018, 12:10 PM
Steal my bike, woooh hoooo! I get a new bike.

opas ride
12-20-2018, 04:25 PM
I agree that bike alarms are, for the most part, a waste of money....If someone wants to steal an 800+lb motorcycle they will do it anyhow, noisy alarms or not...These "ASS HOLE" thieves today can pretty much figure out how to steal anything....If someone ever steals my bike I hope they crash it into a wall/tree, or whatever and buy the farm!!...Harsh but I have very little sympathy for crooks/thieves.....Regards

Ewreck
12-20-2018, 06:39 PM
I have a brick of C4 wired under my seat to a remote detonator I carry in my pocket.

olegoat345
12-20-2018, 07:36 PM
Lock the forks, take the key. I mean it is a 800+ lb. bike.

Navvet
12-20-2018, 10:19 PM
I use the Scorpio alarm systems and we really like them. The proximity alert and the remote alert have saved the bikes from lots of people who "just want to sit on them".

tenxxx
12-21-2018, 01:45 PM
I have a brick of C4 wired under my seat to a remote detonator I carry in my pocket.
Try not to get too excited while your riding.

Vandal
12-21-2018, 02:08 PM
Good logic here, I like it. I usually lock the forks over and you are right, who is gonna lift 850lbs Maybe that was a non starter for an alarm and I should just get some disco lights.

53driver
12-21-2018, 03:32 PM
Good logic here, I like it. I usually lock the forks over and you are right, who is gonna lift 850lbs? Maybe that was a non starter for an alarm and I should just get some disco lights.

To answer your question: 4 big guys with some 4x4s.....white nondescript van with temporary tags.....<poof>

DarkKnt
12-21-2018, 04:22 PM
Just spent 2 months riding around Europe with a buddy and stayed in a few sketchy areas. We ran the gamut of "full lock down" to simply removing the key. "Full lock down" required an alarmed disc lock, steering locked, bikes cable locked together, bikes chain locked to an immovable object and then both bikes covered with full covers. Occassionally we had to leave jackets and helmets with the bikes too, so they were cable locked to the bikes, under the covers. Never had a problem! But a total pain in the ass. We felt the covers were the best protection, as at least a thief would first have to recognize the bike as something they wanted to steal, and then devote the time to removing the cover to determine if they had the tools to actually steal it - ie, an angle grinder or cable cutters etc, etc. Most thefts are opportunistic; they cruise by and see the bike and make a very quick decision to steal it. That's hard to do if it's covered. Also, when you're travelling you aren't predictable, so it's hard for true professionals to "plan" to steal your bike ahead of time. But if you want to see how fast they can do it, watch the youtube vids of thiefs in London with the angle grinders.... admittedly mostly shitty scooters etc, but they sure have balls!

unsub
12-21-2018, 04:43 PM
lots of people who "just want to sit on them".

That's my pet peeve. Adult males that don't respect the property of others and parents who let their small children sit on the bike without my permission get a lecture on how dangerous that can be.

However unless your insurance underwriter gives you a discount for the alarm, they're useless and a waste of money. Lock the forks and take the key.

Didn't Harley have an issue where the bike wouldn't play nice with an anti theft transponder and shut off in mid stride?