PDA

View Full Version : August 21st --> August 25th --> Tail of the Dragon and surroundings

Phantom
01-18-2019, 09:12 PM
:cheers:

Hello All, I hope that everyone is doing well.

Just seeking input on a location for our annual Rally event.

I like going back to a popular destination that we have been to in the past, the Tail of the Dragon area, Franklin SC

Hampton Inn

Post Rally Location suggestion below

'gw-smiley'

2wheelsforme
01-18-2019, 11:20 PM
Franklin area is great place for some very fine roads.

CNC Nut
01-19-2019, 11:29 PM
Cabot Trail! https://www.cbisland.com/cabot-trail/

Xrider57
01-20-2019, 05:07 PM
I’m game for Franklin or Maggie Valley!

shortleg0521
01-20-2019, 11:36 PM
SC is a great area that time of year.

Big TP
01-21-2019, 04:38 PM
Great choice!

Phantom
01-21-2019, 10:10 PM
Hampton Inn (Julie), King size Bed $110 or a room with 2 Queen Size Beds for $119

Jimamiah
01-22-2019, 09:03 AM

Hello All, I hope that everyone is doing well.

Just seeking input on a location for our annual Rally event.

I like going back to a popular destination that we have been to in the past, the Tail of the Dragon area, Franklin SC

Hampton Inn

Post Rally Location suggestion below

'gw-smiley'

I'm a little confused, I thought Rick was setting up the rally. Can someone help me out.

53driver
01-22-2019, 09:27 AM
I'm a little confused, I thought Rick was setting up the rally. Can someone help me out.

No worries.
Rick, as part of Value Accessories, does an "All Comers" rally every year - this year 7-11 August in SE Ohio.
His last guidance as far as a specific F6B rally was that he was not going to sponsor one this year and he encouraged membership to get together at various places on their own and have fun.
Seems Phantom has taken some steps in that direction.
Hope this helps.
Cheers,
Steve

Jimamiah
01-22-2019, 10:46 AM
No worries.
Rick, as part of Value Accessories, does an "All Comers" rally every year - this year 7-11 August in SE Ohio.
His last guidance as far as a specific F6B rally was that he was not going to sponsor one this year and he encouraged membership to get together at various places on their own and have fun.
Seems Phantom has taken some steps in that direction.
Hope this helps.
Cheers,
Steve

Thanks Steve,
I just want to ride and meet all you guys (and gals) that I'm reading about.

Big TP
01-22-2019, 03:53 PM
There are some beautiful roads in the North GA mountains also. Blue Ridge, GA?

2wheelsforme
01-22-2019, 05:40 PM
The area around Franklin is one of my favorites, have made many trips that way. Last year did three days based out of Franklin and to the East you can ride all day with curve after curve on mostly back roads and very little traffic. Or you can head to the North and West just a bit and ride the Dragon but on the way catch some more great seldom travelled back roads. West also has some fantastic curves. 6144 6145

RuneRider66
01-23-2019, 07:57 AM
How come there are 400 views on this thread but only 11 replies. Am I missing the elephant in the room? Usually this topic is 6 pages deep by now. What gives? I will try to attend the rally wherever it is held. How many are planning to attend this years rally? I am in, just tell me where.
So why are most being super quiet on this subject?

Rickc
01-23-2019, 08:27 AM
I should be able to make the rally again this year.

wjduke
01-23-2019, 12:26 PM
How come there are 400 views on this thread but only 11 replies. Am I missing the elephant in the room? Usually this topic is 6 pages deep by now. What gives? I will try to attend the rally wherever it is held. How many are planning to attend this years rally? I am in, just tell me where.

Speaking just for me, I'm here daily but lost my bike in an accident, so won't be attending.

2wheelsforme
01-23-2019, 02:08 PM

I hope to attend and would be happy to share some the roads I know to be excellent for motorcycling.

Phantom
01-23-2019, 10:15 PM

Hey Russel, It's actually a bit early. You'll see more activity come spring time when most thaw out.
The Room Rate is much higher this time around, this for some might be more then they want to spend and it's understandable. I read several complaints of recent gatherings regarding accommodations not meeting everyones standards so I selected a better facility (I hope) this time around. It is a repeat location so that may not interest others. I like all of the roads in the Franklin area and never get tired of them. Let's face it, the F6B is no longer being produced and like other motorcycle specific rallies, these gatherings become smaller every year. 30-50 is a nice size group. This will be another nice event.

Jimamiah
01-24-2019, 05:22 AM
Hey Russel, It's actually a bit early. You'll see more activity come spring time when most thaw out.
The Room Rate is much higher this time around, this for some might be more then they want to spend and it's understandable. I read several complaints of recent gatherings regarding accommodations not meeting everyones standards so I selected a better facility (I hope) this time around. It is a repeat location so that may not interest others. I like all of the roads in the Franklin area and never get tired of them. Let's face it, the F6B is no longer being produced and like other motorcycle specific rallies, these gatherings become smaller every year. 30-50 is a nice size group. This will be another nice event.

There are plenty of GREAT roads to ride in that area and even if you have been there a dozen times it'll always be fun. I don't go to see the touristy stuff but to get my "motor head" adrenaline flowing as well as meeting people with similar interest. Looking forward to it myself.

VaBob
01-24-2019, 08:12 AM
Ive never done the dragon and would love to experience it atleast once. I think I will look into joining in on the fun.

tenxxx
01-24-2019, 09:33 AM
Will be in the area several times this year. Looking forward to meeting fellow B'ers.

jmdaniel
01-24-2019, 10:08 AM

I was one of those, but may have tempered my complaints if you had gone to Cortez! ;)

2wheelsforme
01-24-2019, 10:32 AM
If that spot to stay is not acceptable plenty of motels are in the area. My preference that I have stayed in many times and will this time also is the Colonial Inn South of town and not that far from the host site. All single floor rooms so your bike is right at the room door and about half the cost. Still clean but not fancy at all.

RuneRider66
01-24-2019, 09:52 PM
Hey Anthony,

It's not too expensive, especially if you share the room with someone. Makes it affordable to most everyone. Looking forward to it. I will be there. Count me in. Plus folks need to ride that new section of the foothills parkway. Fantastic ride.
I am up that way all summer. If you need me to do anything up that way let me know.

Phantom
01-25-2019, 04:50 PM
Hey Anthony,

It's not too expensive, especially if you share the room with someone. Makes it affordable to most everyone. Looking forward to it. I will be there. Count me in. Plus folks need to ride that new section of the foothills parkway. Fantastic ride.
I am up that way all summer. If you need me to do anything up that way let me know.

Thank You Russel, we will be in touch. :icon_biggrin::yes:

Allen Framen
02-01-2019, 02:12 PM
Is there any confusion (other than my own) about the state in which this event is being held?

allen

Rickc
02-01-2019, 03:32 PM
Is there any confusion (other than my own) about the state in which this event is being held?

allen

State of Confusion..........

Allen Framen
02-01-2019, 04:05 PM
State of Confusion..........

Thanks. I was afraid of that. Unfortunately, I have to fly to Telluride the previous week and won't have time to ride all the way to California.

allen

Rickc
02-01-2019, 04:09 PM
Thanks. I was afraid of that. Unfortunately, I have to fly to Telluride the previous week and won't have time to ride all the way to California.

allen

That's a good one !
Last year we stayed in North Carolina, not sure about this year.

2wheelsforme
02-01-2019, 05:14 PM
From the original and first post: I like going back to a popular destination that we have been to in the past, the Tail of the Dragon area, Franklin SC

Hampton Inn

shortleg0521
02-01-2019, 06:07 PM
Hampton Inn (Julie), King size Bed $110 or a room with 2 Queen Size Beds for $119

Not wanting to tell you what to do, but it might help to put up the phone number address and such for the Hampton Inn
for everybody. That includes me to make it a little easier for the elderly.

2wheelsforme
02-01-2019, 09:06 PM
I now understand the confusion. Franklin is in North Carolina not South. If I have it correct the number is 828-369-0600.

Phantom
02-02-2019, 10:42 AM
:icon_redface:
:icon_doh::icon_doh::icon_doh:
Good Morning All !!!
My mistake, yes it's in North Carolina, just north of Georgia from my side (Florida).

Plenty of Parking for everyone.

Hampton Inn Franklin
244 Cunningham Road, Franklin, North Carolina, 28734, USA TEL: +1-828-369-0600

lake_carl
02-10-2019, 06:40 PM
August is always very busy month for me, but this is the one weekend nothing scheduled yet so I a maybe

stepbill
05-14-2019, 03:08 PM
Do we have a list started and is this still a go?

53driver
05-15-2019, 02:03 PM
Do we have a list started and is this still a go?

Phantom? This is your baby!

Willyf6b
05-15-2019, 04:52 PM
Yes "Phantom" Whazzup with this ?!?!

Phantom
05-15-2019, 05:31 PM
Yes "Phantom" Whazzup with this ?!?!

Life Happens .... been busy with a lot of things.

Yes, this is still scheduled to take place. At this moment, it will be just a simple gathering of friends.
It will not be like years past. We will orchestrate a few rides and find restaurants along the way for the attendees.

At night when we return from our rides we can eat nearby and just relax back at the hotel.

unfortunately I don't have time to hunt for door prizes from vendors.

I have a few leftover prizes from years past that I will bring for the gathering.

I will touch base with the Hotel in the next few days.

I'll be there to enjoy the rides and company. I'm keeping it simple this year.:cheers:

53driver
05-15-2019, 07:00 PM
...At this moment, it will be just a simple gathering of friends....
...at night when we return from our rides we can eat nearby and just relax back at the hotel...
...I'm keeping it simple this year.

A recipe that worked so VERY well in years past (2015, 2016, 2017)
Y'all have fun. I'll be in Germany riding the Alps!
Cheers,
Steve

53driver
05-16-2019, 09:06 AM
I strongly recommend the following map for that area if you haven't got one yet:
https://www.butlermaps.com/motorcycle-road-maps/southern-appalachia-map-al-tn-nc-sc-ga/

Cheers,
Steve

2wheelsforme
05-16-2019, 09:17 AM
I have not tried the Butler Maps but they look good. Instead I have always used https://americaridesmaps.com/ . A single map is about the same price but you can get the full eight map set for some really good detail for the whole Smokies area. I understand He is researching the Virginia area and they will be out some time in the future. That area around Franklin is really good for motorcycles with so many roads and little traffic. Most of the cars like the North side of the mountain where Dolly Wood etc is found.

Zyxt
06-08-2019, 09:25 PM
I'll try to make it . Bouncing my happy little a$$ between Gautier, MS and Wilmington, NC these days .

seventwenty
06-09-2019, 01:31 AM
The plan is to stop in and say hello, schedule as of now says we'll be in Murphy that wkd

Xrider57
07-18-2019, 08:51 PM
Ok roll call, who will be at the rally in Franklin Nc?

seventwenty
07-19-2019, 06:56 AM
:039:

stepbill
07-22-2019, 07:32 PM
I thought about it but due to the lack of response from everyone to include Phantom, I'm backing out. I just remember how great the past ones were and the enthusiasm just does not seem to be there this year.

CoCoKola
07-24-2019, 04:06 PM
That's too bad. I have been through hell dnd back, St hoping to meet up t Ruth old friends. It is has been spell since I've been here, suffice it to say I have lot to catch up on. No longer produced? Yikes

Steve 0080
07-28-2019, 09:56 PM
I will be in Franklin on Aug 28th through the weekend... I am staying in the Comfort Inn. Hope you guys have a great time!!!

Coondawg07
07-29-2019, 05:38 PM
I would love to ride up and meet some of you guys. I’d be 100% in if I didn’t have a broken leg and ankle.

Zyxt
08-04-2019, 08:08 PM
Aug 28 through Sept 1 sounds great ! That would be just old times ! Just like when Rune riders then F6B riders gathered in the Smokies for good friendship and good times ! And a lot of B.S. passed around .

stepbill
08-06-2019, 07:34 AM
My issue is that Tony never did a roll call. How do we know that folks are actually going to show up. That's why I decided not to go - just hope that everyone that does has a great time!

Xrider57
08-06-2019, 11:31 PM
My issue is that Tony never did a roll call. How do we know that folks are actually going to show up. That's why I decided not to go - just hope that everyone that does has a great time!

Yea that’s why I asked. It doesn’t seem like there are many planning on attending. I really enjoyed last year but lookes like this year is a bust.

Phantom
08-09-2019, 03:05 PM
As I stated back in May.......
Life Happens .... been busy with a lot of things.

Those that want to ride, just meet a the location and go from there. Yes, this is still scheduled to take place. At this moment, it will be just a simple gathering of friends.
It will not be like years past. I am planning to be there to enjoy the rides and company.

I'm enjoying life, I have already taken 8 weeks of vacation this year (all at the last minute). My schedule is fluid and changes on the spur of the moment, I'm living for today not tomorrow, not making concrete plans anymore. This event is on my agenda however my Lady just informed me that she wants to go on a last minute cruise. She's searching for last minute deals.

I haven't been on here much because I have been riding, proud to say that my chicken strips are less than 1/4 inch :icon_lol:

53driver
08-09-2019, 05:11 PM
.... because I have been riding, proud to say that my chicken strips are less than 1/4 inch :icon_lol:

Pics or it never happened!!!! Lol.

Phantom
08-09-2019, 06:31 PM
Ohhh it happened several times. :f2:

2wheelsforme
08-10-2019, 05:51 AM
You can only lean over so far before hard things start to scrape. 6674

53driver
08-11-2019, 08:07 PM
Ohhh it happened several times. :f2:

It makes me happy that the White Wing is out and about after her long sleep!
Y'all have a great time in Franklin!!!!!!

seventwenty
08-21-2019, 07:00 PM
I’m in the area, will be here until at least Friday. I’ve ridden almost 3k miles this week and haven’t seen another f6. Heck, I’ve only seen maybe a dozen Honda’s total. SW Iowa to Myrtle Beach and back to Cherokee, Murphy, etc. I plan on going through franklin tomorrow and hope to see/meet some of you. Speak up here if you’re going to be in the area

Phantom
08-22-2019, 12:27 PM
Well, unfortunately, last week my Goldwing ended up in the shop.
New right handlebar cluster replaced, the Big Girl is home now, just not in time for my trip up to Franklin.
Enjoy the roads, be careful, don't try to outride your limitations .... you have nothing to prove to anyone, ride safe!

53driver
08-23-2019, 09:24 PM
Anyone in Franklin that can post pics of what we're missing?????

Cali261
08-24-2019, 01:12 AM
Anyone in Franklin that can post pics of what we're missing?????

This should hold you for now....

53driver
08-24-2019, 08:08 AM

Okay - now THAT'S what the 2020 Rally is going to be like!

stepbill
08-24-2019, 08:08 AM
Curious if there is anyone in Franklin.......

stepbill
08-24-2019, 08:10 AM
Well, unfortunately, last week my Goldwing ended up in the shop.
New right handlebar cluster replaced, the Big Girl is home now, just not in time for my trip up to Franklin.
Enjoy the roads, be careful, don't try to outride your limitations .... you have nothing to prove to anyone, ride safe!

Not surprised!

seventwenty
08-25-2019, 02:16 PM
I pulled out and come home. Spent 5 days down there and never saw another F6. No replies to my inquiries here, went by the hotel and saw nothing. Was really looking fwd to meeting and looking over some other bikes. Maybe next year.

2wheelsforme
08-25-2019, 03:50 PM
Is it still a rally if only one bike shows up? :)

jmdaniel
08-25-2019, 05:28 PM
Is it still a rally if only one bike shows up? :)

This whole thread is weird.

Phantom
08-25-2019, 06:21 PM
Not surprised!

My apologies Bill,
As I stated earlier in the year just show up and ride, no-one was obligated.
My electrical issues earlier in the year also prevented me from attending Daytona and a ride with friends down to Key West.
People throughout the year did not show interest for a gathering without a tent, food, organized rides, evening events and the works.
My bike is fine now and I am still planning on going up and will ride with my bride.

However I will coordinate a Full MONTY Rally for 2020, its going to take the help of 3-4 volunteers.
In the past it was the vendors that paid for all of the expenses, are people willing to contribute/donate towards a Full size tent with sides in case it rains, tables, chairs, beverages and snacks for the whole 3 days?

We can implement a "Cash Kitty" where everyone that attends puts $100 into it to cover all expenses. I'm willing to put $500 into it as seed money, what say you?

I can reproduce shirts based on pre-orders with the Simple and very popular design, the one with the F6B in wispy lines.

Asheville North Carolina is the Home Base, Exit 40 off I-26 --->Airport Road
September 3, 4 and 5th 2020

Hotel to be determined, plenty to chose from. The Clarion is my first choice. It has a large grass area for a tent on the West side and plenty of parking for pick-up trucks with trailers.

https://www.romanticasheville.com/motorcycle_drives.htm

ALL of the major Restaurants are right around us.

seventwenty
08-26-2019, 09:57 AM
Sooooooooooo, was I the only person that showed up? Or was anyone else there?

Phantom
08-26-2019, 11:57 AM
seven twenty, please accept my apologies.

The lack of interest from members and my mistake of assuming that people would still show up without any expectations of previous Rallies on a non-holiday weekend was a mistake on my part. The issues with my Goldwing were a last minute surprise. I take full responsibility and will re-focus my efforts to LEAD and coordinate another great F6B rally. Daytona Beach FL, October 17th through the 20th is another possible meeting place later this year. I noticed on the last Daytona Gathering posted by others only one or two showed up for that. Yes, the F6B crowd is shrinking and since the F6B is no longer produced, sadly these gatherings will become smaller even with someone leading the way.

seventwenty
08-26-2019, 05:51 PM
No apologies needed, things happen. I was just curious if I missed anyone. There were a few that posted earlier they were going then in the last couple of weeks the thread went dead. I still had a great time and leaving early saved riding in some weather it looks like. :cheers:

I'll look fwd to next yr