PDA

View Full Version : Extended warranty coverage/repairs issue

sammyseahawk
01-24-2019, 09:57 AM
Has anyone had trouble getting Honda to approve any warranty repairs? I was first told by Honda, it covers anything that doesn't wear out. Such as brake pads, clutch, spark plugs, battery, ect. I have 120,000+ miles on my F6B and a little over 3 years left on my extended warranty. I bought it April 2018. I just had a rt fork seal blow and I am noticing a click in my steering bearing. Honda denied both. From experience, do you agree with Honda? Or do you know an avenue I should take to try and have Honda cover it? I read the warranty book and there seems to be a grey area on what they cover. I don't know that fork seals are a maintenance item, since I don't see where I needed to service them at certain intervals. Maybe someone here knows they are a maintenance item per Honda standards.

2wheelsforme
01-24-2019, 10:15 AM
I would have to agree that fork seals and fork bearings are wearable items and not considered a failure item.

Sorcerer
01-24-2019, 10:56 AM
Was it Honda or the dealer that made that call.

coffee_weasle
01-24-2019, 01:05 PM
on my 2013, at 2 years & 10 months i had the right side fork seal leaking, they covered all but the bushing/guide .... total cost to me was around $25 or $30 (as i recall)

F6Dave
01-24-2019, 01:31 PM
From what I've heard, fork seals are hit or miss. I'm sure the better dealers push Honda to cover them. As for me, I just replace them myself even in the warranty period. I live so far from a dealer that making the arrangements to leave my bike there isn't worth the trouble.

If the other problem is steering head bearings, that should be covered without a doubt.

opas ride
01-24-2019, 03:59 PM
Has anyone had trouble getting Honda to approve any warranty repairs? I was first told by Honda, it covers anything that doesn't wear out. Such as brake pads, clutch, spark plugs, battery, ect. I have 120,000+ miles on my F6B and a little over 3 years left on my extended warranty. I bought it April 2018. I just had a rt fork seal blow and I am noticing a click in my steering bearing. Honda denied both. From experience, do you agree with Honda? Or do you know an avenue I should take to try and have Honda cover it? I read the warranty book and there seems to be a grey area on what they cover. I don't know that fork seals are a maintenance item, since I don't see where I needed to service them at certain intervals. Maybe someone here knows they are a maintenance item per Honda standards.

With a 120,000 miles on the bike, I doubt you'll get much support from Honda on things like your talking about....Heck man we all get worn out after lots of miles...Regards and ride safe

JackB
01-24-2019, 04:53 PM
It's unlimited mileage.
My Honda dealer replaced a headlight for me about 20 years back.
Don't know if they would do it today.

F6Dave
01-24-2019, 09:23 PM
With a 120,000 miles on the bike, I doubt you'll get much support from Honda on things like your talking about....Heck man we all get worn out after lots of miles...Regards and ride safe

If Honda doesn't want to honor a warranty claim at 120,000 miles, then they shouldn't sell vehicles with an 'unlimited mileage warranty'. When businesses make claims they won't honor it damages their reputation. Years ago, after I bought my first Valkyrie, a service manager told me Honda would bend over backwards to honor every possible Goldwing warranty claim. They realized Goldwing riders were loyal and very important to the company. But Honda is a different company these days.

Ixol Phaane
01-25-2019, 01:18 PM
If Honda doesn't want to honor a warranty claim at 120,000 miles, then they shouldn't sell vehicles with an 'unlimited mileage warranty'. When businesses make claims they won't honor it damages their reputation. Years ago, after I bought my first Valkyrie, a service manager told me Honda would bend over backwards to honor every possible Goldwing warranty claim. They realized Goldwing riders were loyal and very important to the company. But Honda is a different company these days.

Yet... It's obvious that they are trying to build bikes that will appeal to a new generation of riders. Part of the appeal will be that the company has been one to value their customers and honor their warranties. Yes, Gold Wing riders have been loyal and important, but Honda are looking beyond the OG (if you will). I think they know that if they abandon those qualities, then they cannot come back to the greater profitability as they hope.

I don't think Honda has failed on the customer service front. That's not been my experience. (Disclaimer - of course not all dealers are equal and YMMV.)

Ride safe, brothers. :cool:

Fourks
01-25-2019, 04:50 PM
I'm a mechnical claims adjuster and we deal with gray areas all the time. I wouldn't give up easy, escalate the issue to the next in line, keep at it till you wear them down, but be respectful. I see all kinds of claims I originally denied that get approve once it gets escalated. I would think the bearing should at the very least be covered.

opas ride
01-25-2019, 05:33 PM
I'm a mechnical claims adjuster and we deal with gray areas all the time. I wouldn't give up easy, escalate the issue to the next in line, keep at it till you wear them down, but be respectful. I see all kinds of claims I originally denied that get approve once it gets escalated. I would think the bearing should at the very least be covered.

I somewhat agree with you and I hope the guy finds some satisfaction with Honda's extended warranty...My impression is that most of the time folks, with these types of claims, don't have 120,000 miles on a fairly new bike. Honda is most likely playing the "what are the odds game" and really don't want to pay for the repairs/parts.. Perhaps both Honda and the owner can come to terms satisfactory to both soon so the guy can get his bike back on the road in good shape...Regards and ride safe...

UTurn
03-19-2019, 03:10 PM
I bought the extended warranty for my 2013, and after 3-4 years, 25k miles or so, the exhaust tips rotted out from the inside. Even though the warranty says exhaust is covered, they denied my claim. Dealer escalated to regional rep, denied. I mailed the rotted tips to Honda corporate saying I didnt think anything should rot out on my bike after 25k miles/3-4 years, again denied.

jm21ddd15
03-19-2019, 06:03 PM
Never bought an extended service contract--actually, they are insurance policies, and to break even, you are betting your bike will brake down, as that's the only way you will recover anything. Never on any bike or truck or car. I saved enough by not getting the extended policies, to buy a new motorcycle.