PDA

View Full Version : Daytona Bike Week .... If you have never been

Phantom
11-24-2013, 07:29 PM
Spring 2014 , several of us will be returning to Daytona Bike Week for a couple of days, maybe run down to Key West ???

If you have never been, join us. I DON'T know who produced this video, but you get an idea.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtO_wgbx2Q0

Big Dawg
11-25-2013, 11:04 AM
I'll be there, Good Lord willing and the creek don't rise. I have been to most of them since 1971. I really enjoy the road racing at the Super speedway.

Phantom
11-25-2013, 11:43 AM
Spoke to Steve last night.

We are thinking of Running down through the Keys, just an idea...

Wednesday riding until we reach Florida City (next to Homestead) Staying at the Holiday Inn Express

Thursday morning riding down to the Southern most point in Key West, Lunch in Key West, meandering up, Dinner in Marathon and ending back at Florida City Holiday Inn Express.

Friday, take our time returning back to Daytona and Dinner for the F6B Riders at Aunt Catfish

Hornblower
11-25-2013, 11:50 AM
Sounds good to me :clap2: I'm already looking forward to the warmer climate in Daytona and points further south. :th_sunbathe:

Hornblower
11-25-2013, 01:40 PM
I'll be there, Good Lord willing and the creek don't rise. I have been to most of them since 1971. I really enjoy the road racing at the Super speedway.

This is something that I'm interested in as well. It would be even more interesting to sit somewhere around you so I could find out what's really going on. If it's like my previous trips to the Speedway during Bike Week, I can watch the guys go fast around the track but I'm sure there are a lot of other things going on that I'm missing. This is not something I normally keep up with so, at this point, I'm not even up-to-speed on who the best riders are. I'm sure you and Skip are all over that!

FlaMike
11-25-2013, 04:44 PM
Can't do the Keys thing but love Aunt Catfish. We'll be there.

FYI On north end of Key Largo is a nice place on the water called Alabama Jacks on Card Sound Rd.

MichaelG
11-25-2013, 05:05 PM
Yo...Big Dawg and Phantom....what are the dates that you folks will be doing this "little" ride ?

Inquiring minds in the Pacific Northwest want to know.....

Phantom
11-25-2013, 06:13 PM
March 5,6,7 or March 12,13,14

Still fluid and at this point still up in the air.
Trying to just spend 1 night in Daytona, during Bike Week those hotels like to :bendover: $250 a night is Highway Robbery, but bikers pay it.

Cool Hand Luke
11-25-2013, 06:22 PM
I ride there every year, be back again! Stay in St. Augustine, usually we pay about $70 per night in St. Augustine Beach (usually Americas Best Value Inn or Sleep Inn) and it makes for a wonderful one hour ride to Daytona on A1A every morning! If you want to be closer and more south then a stay at DeLand is usually good and inexpensive, too.

On the way to Key West I suggest you see Coral Castle, it is a surreal experience if you never been there.

I don't know if I can ride to Key West yet, depends on work, but would like to have breakfast/lunch with you guys in Daytona at some point!

MichaelG
11-25-2013, 07:25 PM
If it is March 12-13-14....count me in. My birdie day is the next day, so I can spend it on the road. I have ridden from Seattle to Daytona several times in March, because that is also when the IBA has their annual Pizza party, and we consider all other pizza parlors in North America closed at that time, so we have to ride to Palm Coast to get any pizza.

Besides, I will be back on the bike after surgery by then, and will need some mileage, to keep up with Dale (hondabikepro). :motorcycle2:

Big Dawg
11-25-2013, 08:40 PM
Sounds like business is picking up. The racing will be the second weekend. I'll be at the track on Friday and Saturday.

thunder217
11-26-2013, 04:03 PM
Can we get a crowd to go this year. I'm here in Maryland and would gladly go. I'll have plenty of time then. :yikes:

hondabikepro
11-26-2013, 08:09 PM
If it is March 12-13-14....count me in. My birdie day is the next day, so I can spend it on the road. I have ridden from Seattle to Daytona several times in March, because that is also when the IBA has their annual Pizza party, and we consider all other pizza parlors in North America closed at that time, so we have to ride to Palm Coast to get any pizza.

Besides, I will be back on the bike after surgery by then, and will need some mileage, to keep up with Dale (hondabikepro). :motorcycle2:

good luck with that, i have a track set up at the tacoma store and have ben riding all day, but the left side of my tires are starting to wear out!! what should i do??? dale

1951vbs
11-26-2013, 10:20 PM
good luck with that, i have a track set up at the tacoma store and have ben riding all day, but the left side of my tires are starting to wear out!! what should i do??? dale

Reverse direction or remount your tires backwards and give us a report!!!:motorcycle2:

hiflyer
11-26-2013, 11:38 PM

Big Dawg, have you ever done the "Low Country Boil" put on by Jerry Duke there in Savannah? Coming up the 7th of December I believe. Mostly a BMW crowd. I haven't been in years, but used to make it an annual event back in the late 90's and early 2000's. Man, those boys can cook.

Big Dawg
11-27-2013, 11:14 AM
Big Dawg, have you ever done the "Low Country Boil" put on by Jerry Duke there in Savannah? Coming up the 7th of December I believe. Mostly a BMW crowd. I haven't been in years, but used to make it an annual event back in the late 90's and early 2000's. Man, those boys can cook.

Sorry, I am not aware of it.

Deer Slayer
11-27-2013, 11:37 AM
Hornblower and I discussed Daytona over breakfast this morning. Americade is on the Schedule too. I know where the good Seafood Boil in on the St. Johns river at the 6 Mile Marina. Yum... Oh do not miss prime rib at Martins... Martins for Prime Rib..

Deer Slayer
11-27-2013, 11:48 AM
Sounds good to me :clap2: I'm already looking forward to the warmer climate in Daytona and points further south. :th_sunbathe:

you are on...

motozeke
11-27-2013, 01:25 PM
Looks like total debauchery, I'm ashamed of the lot of you.

Translation: it's too far away for me.

Big Dawg
11-27-2013, 02:32 PM
Looks like total debauchery, I'm ashamed of the lot of you.

Translation: it's too far away for me.

Yeah, after the sun goes down, so do a lot of other things at bikeweek. It's only a 36 hour ride over, so come on down. Miles and Hondabikepro are coming from Washington State, maybe you could hook up with them.

Kawi69
11-27-2013, 03:02 PM
Hey count me in if the dates are 3/12 to 3/16 I can trailer my bike to ??? anybody's
house and ride in with you guys. Just let me know the dates and I'll make reservations
for hotels. Can't wait to meet you guys. This forum is another reason I love my bike.. :clap2: :041: :banana: :biker: :headbang:

Big Dawg
11-27-2013, 03:16 PM
Hey count me in if the dates are 3/12 to 3/16 I can trailer my bike

Sorry sir this is bike week not trailer week:icon_mrgreen::crackup::crackup::stirthepot:

Kawi69
11-27-2013, 03:21 PM
Yeah I know but...when your from "The Great North East" there's
going to be SNOW!!!!!!!! I'm to old to ride in SNOW :biggthumpup: :cheers:

Big Dawg
11-27-2013, 04:10 PM

Here is a deal for you. Trailer that bike to Savannah,GA then ride down the rest of the way with us or on your own! It's only 230 miles from Savannah to Daytona. I have a secure gated parking area that you can leave your truck and trailer if you like.

F6BPDX
11-27-2013, 05:22 PM

Throttle Lock and a dyno machine? :shhh:

MichaelG
11-27-2013, 09:18 PM

WIMP ! Come on, Man ! You know others are thinking it too, so don't blame me just because I said it. :pbt:

I will be there, and I will be riding my bike from the Seattle, WA. area...to Florida. You can do the same...darn it. :icon_razz:

Okay, okay...just where in the Great Northeast do you live? We will need to check weather reports on your area, before you trailer it down. :icon_frown:

I can tell you that members of the IBA would never get caught alive trailering a bike to an event...for fear of embarrassment. :moon:

Oh, I almost forgot...have a Happy Thanksgiving 'Carving/turkey'

Kawi69
11-27-2013, 10:33 PM
:yikes: I didn't know it was going to be like this LMFAO hahahahahaha
:bowdown: I live in NH I don't like SNOW!!!!!!! I'll ride in down pours
but I wont ride in Snow... Call me a wimp or lazy I can Take it I have
broad shoulders :kap: :icon_laugh::banana:

Kawi69
11-27-2013, 10:39 PM
Hey Miles I hope you & yours have a Happy Thanksgiving

Happy Thanksgiving to all the F6B forum members and

their family and friends God Bless

MichaelG
11-28-2013, 12:18 AM
:yikes: I didn't know it was going to be like this LMFAO hahahahahaha
:bowdown: I live in NH I don't like SNOW!!!!!!! I'll ride in down pours
but I wont ride in Snow... Call me a wimp or lazy I can Take it I have
broad shoulders :kap: :icon_laugh::banana:

Now...that you have changed your info, and show us that you live in Rochester, NH....I know that Rochester is slightly north of Concord, and over on the NH and Maine border. Even though you are close enough to the Maine coast, to have some benefit from the warmth of the Atlantic ocean, I gotta give ya creds that the mountains between NH and Maine, in that area, can collect a lot of snow, so.................I will ride from Seattle over to your house...collect you and your bike...and I will plow the road with my bike, so that you have good tire tracks to follow in, so you can make it to Florida safe and sound. :icon_wink:

Seriously, I get what you are saying. You get a lot more snow and cold weather than we do here on the better coast. At that time of year, I really only have one area to worry about, and if there is no snow in far southern Oregon, then I can get over the border to California, and ride all the way down Calif to the southern part, then head east...until I smell the Atlantic, and see blue-haired old ladies, then I know I am in Florida. But you...have a lot more weather to worry about, so...I am going to lay off the kidding about trailering the bike, because I would rather see you in FL., than to have you stay home because of my razzing. :icon_razz:

Years ago, when I lived in South Lake Tahoe, I used to host a ride that guaranteed the riders at least 50 miles in the "falling" snow. We simply rode "around" Lake Tahoe. Yeah...people dropped their bikes, but we weren't going that fast. Riding in snow is not bad, especially if it is fresh snow. That is decent traction. The problem is the compact snow and ice underneath the new snow. cold-snow

Kawi69
11-28-2013, 09:59 AM
Hey Miles its OK I can't wait to meet you. Big Dawg we'll see how the weather is.
Thank you for your offer I should be able to get to your house I do have GPS haha
hahahahaha :icon_lol:. 1st round of drinks is on me!!!!!:banana: :beer3:

Big Dawg
12-01-2013, 02:37 PM
Hey Miles its OK I can't wait to meet you. Big Dawg we'll see how the weather is.
Thank you for your offer I should be able to get to your house I do have GPS haha
hahahahaha :icon_lol:. 1st round of drinks is on me!!!!!:banana: :beer3:

That is a deal, and I'll buy the second round!

ChiSteve
12-04-2013, 04:41 PM
I'm in!!!

Midwest guys (or anyon else)! Who wants to get togeather and ride to Big Dawgs and join the fun?

Im going to try, ride the Dragons Tail on my way to Big Dawg's, Daytona, Keys and than straight back. Can it be done in 7 days? I think so.

Kawi69
12-09-2013, 06:31 PM
Phantom, What hotels are you looking at, at what dates. I'd like to stay with or near you guys. I'm thinking of the keys too. I haven't made any reservations yet :shrug: Let me know :icon_biggrin: I can't wait for some warm weather :beach: :th_sunbathe:

MichaelG
12-09-2013, 07:42 PM
Phantom, What hotels are you looking at, at what dates. I'd like to stay with or near you guys. I'm thinking of the keys too. I haven't made any reservations yet

Kawi69, there is a way around making reservations. Since it will be Spring Break for a lot of the colleges, just ride down there...the louder the pipes the better...and hook up with a couple of the college girls that are there for FUN :woohoo:...way too drunk ...and already have a room they are staying in. This serves several purposes all at the same time.:banana_smiley_25:

1951vbs
12-09-2013, 08:23 PM
I'm in!!!

Midwest guys (or anyon else)! Who wants to get togeather and ride to Big Dawgs and join the fun?

Im going to try, ride the Dragons Tail on my way to Big Dawg's, Daytona, Keys and than straight back. Can it be done in 7 days? I think so.

I don't want to burst your bubble but real possibilities of snow and/or ice in the mountains that time of year but you could get lucky. After living in the midwest for 38 years and working as a road rep in ND, SD, MN, IA, WI travelling year round the only time I ever got stranded and had to stay overnight was on the way to Daytona Bike Week! The freeway was shut down between Greenville and Columbia, SC due to ice under several inches of snow.snowremoval.. IMO have a backup plan just incase. The weather has been pretty weird.

Steve 0080
12-09-2013, 08:37 PM
make sure those college girls are legal for the pokin or you will be in the pokey getting poked … :yikes:

thunder217
12-09-2013, 09:49 PM
Again, will anyone be leaving from the East Cost Area - MD/VA/NY/NC. :icon_twisted:

Clash
12-11-2013, 12:54 PM
I am also :motorcycle2:planning to be at bike week (wife has not made her mind up yet).

Will probably stay north of town on A1A.

Dinner at Aunt Catfish sounds great.

Big Dawg
12-11-2013, 01:59 PM
I am also :motorcycle2:planning to be at bike week (wife has not made her mind up yet).

Will probably stay north of town on A1A.

Dinner at Aunt Catfish sounds great.

You bringing the Vodka this time? LOL

Clash
12-11-2013, 08:33 PM
You bringing the Vodka this time? LOL

I'll bring you a bottle of NCs finest brew by way of thanks.:cheers:
See you in the spring.:icon_biggrin:

Phantom
01-14-2014, 12:09 PM
:icon_cool::yes:

Thanks HornBlower horn-blower2. for reminding me,

Will try to iron out details in the next few days for those that would like to join us at this gathering.

'riding'

Deer Slayer
01-14-2014, 12:46 PM
Spring 2014 , several of us will be returning to Daytona Bike Week for a couple of days, maybe run down to Key West ???

If you have never been, join us. I DON'T know who produced this video, but you get an idea.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtO_wgbx2Q0

I remember her! :woohoo: :cheers:

Steve 0080
01-15-2014, 10:09 AM
If you have never been it is a bucket list kinda place...I have been almost every year since 1975 and it has not really changed much other than bike improvements...It is a freak show!!!!! Funny thing is people look in the mirror before the leave their home and say, " dam I look good " and when you see them you just say WOW!!! Got my back tire replaced on my Ultra, will get it shined up ...the ride to the Keys does sound interesting....

Phantom
01-17-2014, 11:40 PM
This is a TENTATIVE schedule
Need to see how many are interested on a ride down to Key West

If You are staying in the DAYTONA Beach area, you will need to ride SOUTH 'riding' only 45 minutes to Titusville.

Wednesday March 12th at 10:30am we meet in Titusville Florida
Location: Dixie Cross Roads Restaurant , 1475 Garden St, Titusville FL 32796 (opens at 11am and we will have lunch)

We depart at 12:30 pm for Homestead Florida and take a leisure ride along the Coastal Highway, arrive around 6-7 PM. Dinner at Marios Family Restaurant.

Quality Inn is giving our group a discount rate for rooms.... (we will be here 2 nights)
(333 SE 1st Ave, Homestead, FL 33034)
305-248-4009 .... ASK for Jesse and tell her that you are part of the Bike Group Staying there for 2 nights.
Rooms with 2 doubles or a single Queen bed are $88.10 + Tax $11.46 = $99.56 per night
Rooms with 1 King bed are $97.10 + Tax $12.62 = $109.72 per night

Thursday March 13th at 7:30am SHARP depart for Key West, ride down through the keys, stop a couple of times and arrive in Key West around 11:30 am. Have a light lunch somewhere, take a group photo in front of the Southern Most Point of the US, ride around Key West and depart around 3:00pm. Ride north and arrive in Key Largo around 5:30pm. Dinner at Shipwreck's Bar and Grill,45 Garden Cove Drive, Key Largo, FL 33037. Depart around 7:30pm, arrive at the Quality Inn around 8:00pm

Friday March 14th at 9:00am depart for Port Orange Florida arrive at Aunt Catfish Restaurant around 2:00pm have a late lunch, afterwards ride into down town Daytona Beach and or the venues. Evening plans TBD

Saturday March 15th visit venues by the Track or ride up to Ormond beach where there will be a large number of vendors as well.
So, WHO is interested ?????

Steve 0080
01-18-2014, 12:53 AM
I'm in.........I should have one or two join me as well...............

Deer Slayer
01-18-2014, 01:30 AM
Count in Hornblower and Deer Slayer. 'all/right'

Hornblower
01-18-2014, 09:04 AM
Yep, DS and I are definitely planning on it! :clap2:

Phantom
01-18-2014, 11:56 AM
7 and counting :biker:

Deer Slayer
01-18-2014, 02:01 PM
7 and counting :biker:

Any good ( cheep ) places in Titusville. Don't care which side of Daytona I stay in just as long as it is not in Daytona, read ZOO. :cheers:

Steve 0080
01-18-2014, 02:16 PM
The answer is yes...... go to map quest....click on hotel/motel and see what comes up for the city.....

Deer Slayer
01-18-2014, 05:35 PM
The answer is yes...... go to map quest....click on hotel/motel and see what comes up for the city.....

Trip Advisor also works very well, as I use it on my out West trip last June.:301:

Big Dawg
01-18-2014, 08:20 PM
Sorry, Skip and I will be staying in Daytona for the races. Ya'll have fun.

Phantom
01-18-2014, 10:04 PM
Here is a decent hotel not far from where we are meeting .....

(Only 10 minutes away)

http://www.expedia.com/Space-Coast-Hotels-Quality-Inn-Kennedy-Space-Center.h894949.Hotel-Information?&chkin=03/11/2014&chkout=03/12/2014&rm1=a2&icmcid=TRIPA.Expedia_US-DM_B61.10568.X&icmdtl=UttAQAoQIyoAAHjtN4EAAAAF.894949.HtDtHsF.X.Q CMM%7C.85947.sa.2597.60751.en_US..&eapid=21187-1&mctc=9

hiflyer
01-18-2014, 10:28 PM
Add this Okie to the list.

Cool Hand Luke
01-18-2014, 10:32 PM
I want to join the party, too. Thanks!

Phantom
01-19-2014, 12:20 AM
10 and counting :biker:

firetech
01-19-2014, 12:48 AM
I'm pretty sure I come off of call for work the 10th. I'll know for sure Tuesday.
If I do then count me in too.

Phantom
01-20-2014, 10:04 AM
Temperatures are usually between 65 and 85 "fireybat" during this time in southern Florida

Hornblower
01-20-2014, 10:18 AM
Phantom...would you say the tentative plans shown in your earlier post are now firm enough that we can start making motel reservations with confidence? It sounded like a great plan to me. :041:

Phantom
01-20-2014, 12:32 PM
Phantom...would you say the tentative plans shown in your earlier post are now firm enough that we can start making motel reservations with confidence? It sounded like a great plan to me. :041:

HornBlower,
I would say that if I were a gambling man, there's a 99.34568729% chance of this being the itinerary. I was going to wait one more week for feedback. You can book now, just make sure that there are no charges from the hotel if you need to change or cancel 14 days out.

'surfing'

LET'S RIDE 'riding'

Deer Slayer
01-20-2014, 04:26 PM
HornBlower,
I would say that if I were a gambling man, there's a 99.34568729% chance of this being the itinerary. I was going to wait one more week for feedback. You can book now, just make sure that there are no charges from the hotel if you need to change or cancel 14 days out.

'surfing'

LET'S RIDE 'riding'

Daayyuuuummm !
Kick Stands up Hornblower! happygirl :cheers:

Hornblower
01-21-2014, 11:49 AM
Quality Inn is giving our group a discount rate for rooms.... (we will be here 2 nights)
(333 SE 1st Ave, Homestead, FL 33034)
305-248-4009 .... ASK for Jesse and tell her that you are part of the Bike Group Staying there for 2 nights.
Rooms with 2 doubles or a single Queen bed are $88.10 + Tax $11.46 = $99.56 per night

Well, this is odd...I just called Jesse and she didn't know anything about this. She wondered if another girl named Jessica was aware of our group. Jesse suggested waiting until tomorrow after 3:00 to speak to Jessica in the hopes that she was handling our group plans.

Phantom
01-21-2014, 03:15 PM
I also spoke with the manager yesterday. I will call them Sunday when I return home. :banghead:

MichaelG
01-21-2014, 04:12 PM
Well, this is odd...I just called Jesse and she didn't know anything about this. She wondered if another girl named Jessica was aware of our group. Jesse suggested waiting until tomorrow after 3:00 to speak to Jessica in the hopes that she was handling our group plans.

Ken, you can do this reservation online, and get the exact same rate.

The price offered on the Quality Inn website is the same as advertised here, so....no need to call Jesse or Jessica. Already did that, will be there.

"coffee"

Hornblower
01-21-2014, 04:17 PM
Ken, you can do this reservation online, and get the exact same rate.

The price offered on the Quality Inn website is the same as advertised here, so....no need to call Jesse or Jessica. Already did that, will be there.

"coffee"

Thanks, Miles! Good to know! :8:

Phantom
01-27-2014, 12:25 PM
Trying to reach Jesse and get a true discount, I was quoted a "special" discount price when in reality it is not.

Any other Members interested in joining us?:th_sunbathe:

Hornblower
01-27-2014, 01:29 PM
Went ahead and made reservations and Miles was correct about the rate. I got the regular Senior rate which is what you showed a few posts ago so I guess you could say there was nothing particularly "special" about it.

Steve 0080
01-28-2014, 12:40 AM
Hornblower.....we think you are special....special enough to get the " Senior Discount Rate " that is...

Hornblower
01-28-2014, 09:43 AM
Hornblower.....we think you are special....special enough to get the " Senior Discount Rate " that is...

:301: Watch it there, Sonny! :icon_wink:

Phantom
01-28-2014, 07:01 PM
OK,"fireybat"

Here is the latest .....

The Manager Mr. Sukhi was only able to take an additional $4.00 off each room for our group.

He has 10 rooms blocked off for us until February 15th at the $84.10 plus $10.93 for the tax,
making our Total cost $95.03 per night. The Group Discount is under the name "Honda F6B Riders"

If you have already made your reservation, please call after 11:00am EST and ask for Mr. Sukhi and he will adjust your reservation to reflect the lower rate.

It's a small savings but the savings will buy a light lunch or 2.5 gallons of fuel :shrug:

Steve 0080
01-29-2014, 10:18 AM
Reservations made and confirmed..... :041:

ghostrider
01-29-2014, 10:37 AM
OK,"fireybat"

Here is the latest .....

The Manager Mr. Sukhi was only able to take an additional $4.00 off each room for our group.

He has 10 rooms blocked off for us until February 15th at the $84.10 plus $10.93 for the tax,
making our Total cost $95.03 per night. The Group Discount is under the name "Honda F6B Riders"

If you have already made your reservation, please call after 11:00am EST and ask for Mr. Sukhi and he will adjust your reservation to reflect the lower rate.

It's a small savings but the savings will buy a light lunch or 2.5 gallons of fuel :shrug:

Fuel must be really cheap back east. $4 would only buy a gallon+ out west here. :tomatohit:

Phantom
01-29-2014, 11:15 AM
Fuel must be really cheap back east. $4 would only buy a gallon+ out west here. :tomatohit:

The savings of $4.53 cents per night multiplied by the 2 nights that we are there = $9.06

Fuel in Florida is averaging $3.35 for regular unleaded. At this price our savings buys us 2.7 gallons of fuel :shrug: as I stated above

ghostrider
01-29-2014, 02:56 PM
The savings of $4.53 cents per night multiplied by the 2 nights that we are there = $9.06

Fuel in Florida is averaging $3.35 for regular unleaded. At this price our savings buys us 2.7 gallons of fuel :shrug: as I stated above

Aah I see!! I guess I should of done the math. :icon_mrgreen:

firetech
01-29-2014, 08:10 PM
Time off from work and rooms reserved.
Six weeks and counting.

CobraUSA
02-05-2014, 03:39 PM
I will have a booth setup in the J&P parking lot at Destination Daytona. Hope to see some of you guys there!

Dustin

Steve 0080
02-05-2014, 06:53 PM
We/I should be able to stop by !!!