PDA

View Full Version : Sore Back and Groin

indadman
01-28-2019, 11:29 AM
I have had back surgery, and up until recently my back has not impacted my riding (I have done several Iron Butt rides). Recently, my left groin has been cramping up after as little as an hour of riding. It seems to be starting at my left "butt bone." I am currently using a Mustang seat. Has anyone else experienced this issue, and more importantly, has anyone come up with a solution...maybe a softer seat???

2wheelsforme
01-28-2019, 11:43 AM
Aleve works well for me on long trips bike or auto. https://www.drugs.com/aleve.html

olegoat345
01-28-2019, 01:47 PM
I too have had back surgery (disc removed).
For me a Russell Day Long (great folks to work with) & Heli Bars seem to have worked on my "B". RDL with risers & pull backs, worked on 2 other bikes.
If you have the OEM Honda seat, you wouldn't be with out a seat.
I had raise foot pegs that made my hips hurt, went back to OEM.
I've never used a Mustang, they are great looking seats.
Ever use a "bone cracker"? After trying 6 or 7, I found a good one that helped me a lot....... Then I moved :(

opas ride
01-28-2019, 03:10 PM
For me a Russell Day Long (great folks to work with) & Heli Bars seem to have worked on my "B". RDL with risers & pull backs, worked on 2 other bikes.
Ever use a "bone cracker"? After trying 6 or 7, I found a good one that helped me a lot....... Then I moved :(

+1 one on the Aleve medication..Works great for me on longer rides to help with back and hip issues..Seems to work for about 4/5 hours until it wears off..Recently posted on an Internet medical web-site, they reported that long-term use of Aleve is not good for you, but I don't take it that often...I've tried different seats, etc. but cannot justify the cost compared to a bottle of Aleve..My Mustang seat is just fine....Regards and ride safe

Sorcerer
01-28-2019, 04:16 PM
Are you sitting on your wallet?

opas ride
01-28-2019, 05:05 PM
Are you sitting on your wallet?

No I am not...Money is far from any issues with my current bike/seat/bars...As I get older and my riding miles are slowing down a lot, I am very satisfied with my set-up as it is.....Regards

F6Bster
01-28-2019, 05:25 PM
No I am not...Money is far from any issues with my current bike/seat/bars...As I get older and my riding miles are slowing down a lot, I am very satisfied with my set-up as it is.....Regards

I think that what he meant was that sitting on your wallet really twists your hips and back and cause pain.

indadman
01-28-2019, 05:35 PM

Does the Russell seat raise you further off the ground?

tenxxx
01-28-2019, 06:49 PM
I have the highway bars set low so my legs are stretched out straight. Helps with the back pain to have as many different positions as possible.
Also use the passenger pegs, they let me rock forward off my ass and lean into the bars.
I ride the stock seat, cant see paying all that $. Getting off to rest the Ass for 10 minuets lets me ride for another couple hours or so.
The secrete is to get off and walk.
I did a 900 mile trip last fall through the Hatfield McCoy area from northern Ohio. Took 3 days.
The ride back was non stop for 6 hours on I77 with a few rest stops. Felt good when I got home.

Sorcerer
01-28-2019, 07:16 PM
�� ����
Years ago I started having problems on one day drives and rides between Minneapolis and Cincinnati. Hot spot on right butt cheek and back and shoulder issues. I was watching a tv show and the wallet issue was brought up. Tried on my next ride and what a relief. Now monkey but was a whole different problem to resolve.

2wheelsforme
01-28-2019, 08:13 PM
Does the Russell seat raise you further off the ground?

The RDL does what ever you wish for it to do as far as lower, higher, back more, what ever. They custom make it for you, your specs, weight, wishes. Mine is back and up a good bit more than stock.

olegoat345
01-28-2019, 11:29 PM
+1 = Correct, RDL makes each & every seat for that rider. That's not to say someone else won't love it. I've not noticed any height difference. I'm 5' 10"(after my disc removal) & I'm flat footed while sitting at a light. No problem walking the bike around.

lake_carl
01-29-2019, 12:45 AM
Are you taking any meds, some cholesterol meds increase cramping, I had this issue

shortleg0521
01-29-2019, 09:59 AM
I found with the mustang seat if you just use an Air hawk pad it will make quite
a bit of difference.
Much less expensive than RDL seat.
Also bar position makes a lot of difference.

olegoat345
01-29-2019, 10:46 AM
RDL's (GW size S4) hi quality vinyl, custom fit for "rider / solo" start @ $580; leather custom fit for "rider / solo" $780 == if you want custom fit for wife or G/F, the price goes up. Back rest for rider, passenger &/or heat are all extra...… I'm sure Mustang's seats are also hi quality vinyl....RDL does not have "seat pans" or "one size fits all" seats. You have to send them a seat & they'll make it to fit your butt......your butt will be happy & smiling. They're called "day Long" for a good reason.

opas ride
01-29-2019, 10:47 AM
I found with the mustang seat if you just use an Air hawk pad it will make quite
a bit of difference.
Much less expensive than RDL seat.
Also bar position makes a lot of difference.

When you say the Air Hawk pad makes a difference what do you mean?..Also what bar postions are you suggesting?..Heli-bars or risers or?...Just curious...Regards

olegoat345
01-29-2019, 03:01 PM
In my opinion, Heli Bars & a RDL is the best money one can spend on their "B."

opas ride
01-29-2019, 04:04 PM
In my opinion, Heli Bars & a RDL is the best money one can spend on their "B."

I am sure you are most likely correct with this set-up and I would consider such if I intended to keep my F6B down the road. I don't ride as much as I used to and most of my short rides are 150 miles or less round trip...Looking at downsizing to a lighter bike, Indian Scout, perhaps in the future, if I continue to keeping riding for a couple more years...Only time will tell as I just hit 79 years old this month....Regards

53driver
01-29-2019, 08:20 PM
Make sure your rear shock preload is set somewhere 'comfy.'
Anything above 25 clicks irritates my herniated discs.

I use a BeadRider on my Corbin and that makes for a comfy ride. Also some pretty good ventilation too!

Best of luck!
Steve

Fourks
01-29-2019, 08:37 PM
What’s helped me with my back issues more then anything else, is losing twenty five pounds and visits to the gym for weight training work centered around inner core strength. All kinds of studies now on how much a weight training program can do for you as you start to age. I’m in as good of shape as I was in my thirties.

six2go
01-30-2019, 01:32 PM
Early last Summer I started having left groin pain and thought I had pulled a muscle. Then it worked it's way into my quad in the thigh. Dr. gave me some pain meds and muscle relaxing pills but that didn't do anything. Next was Physical Therapy and after two weeks with no improvement x-rays were ordered and it was discovered I had severe Arthritis (bone on bone)in my left hip so a trip to the Ortho Doc was in order. I was beyond the point of Cortisone injections helping so to my dismay I was scheduled for total hip replacement surgery. The surgery was done the day after Christmas and I am well on the way to being able to ride this year. No pain, just some weakness that has to be built up again due to 7 months of not using the hip much and worst of all no riding since July. So it's been 5 weeks since the repair was done and I'm glad I had it done.

opas ride
01-30-2019, 03:26 PM
Early last Summer I started having left groin pain and thought I had pulled a muscle. Then it worked it's way into my quad in the thigh. Dr. gave me some pain meds and muscle relaxing pills but that didn't do anything. Next was Physical Therapy and after two weeks with no improvement x-rays were ordered and it was discovered I had severe Arthritis (bone on bone)in my left hip so a trip to the Ortho Doc was in order. I was beyond the point of Cortisone injections helping so to my dismay I was scheduled for total hip replacement surgery. The surgery was done the day after Christmas and I am well on the way to being able to ride this year. No pain, just some weakness that has to be built up again due to 7 months of not using the hip much and worst of all no riding since July. So it's been 5 weeks since the repair was done and I'm glad I had it done.

Luckily I have not had knee or hip issues so far (79) now, but my wife has had both knees and one hip replaced a while back...She also said it was the best thing for her with the hip replacement and she has no pain now and does not use a cane for help...Good choice and hope all goes well for riding again when the weather gets better....Regards

rdbonds
02-01-2019, 09:43 AM
Agree on the BeadRider. I have one on my OEM seat and it's great. 600,000 cab drivers in NYC can't all be wrong!