PDA

View Full Version : Clearview Recurve Windshield

Tbone56
11-25-2013, 09:08 PM
Interested to see how these windshields from Clearview will work.

http://www.clearviewshields.com/blog/honda-f6b-replacement-windshields/

Dirtstiff's F6B
11-25-2013, 09:16 PM
Interested to see how these windshields from Clearview will work.

http://www.clearviewshields.com/blog/honda-f6b-replacement-windshields/

I've had several Clearview recurve windshields on my batwing fairing bikes and they work extremely well.
The morre exagerated the flip, the higher it kicks air over your' head.

I'd like one in dark tint

fun
09-09-2014, 08:46 PM
I purchased the medium in smoke tint and installed it over the weekend. What a relief! No more buffeting to the face. GA summers are hot, so I did spring for the adjustable vent. I love this shield! I believe it's the 3rd Clearview for me over the years.

It also provides you the wind deflection of a taller shield but still maintains the sporty F6B look.

:yes:

Steve 0080
09-09-2014, 09:02 PM
^^^+1...I have the small w/ vent and like really well...

Fla_rider
09-09-2014, 09:13 PM
Mine is on the way will compare against a baggershield soon!

luckyluciano
09-09-2014, 10:36 PM
What's the difference with the Klockwerks flair?

BIGLRY
09-10-2014, 12:47 PM
What's the difference with the Klockwerks flair?
Here ya go with pic I took of the KW and Clearview dark, tall touring, side by side. The KW is on top of the Clearview with mounting holes lined up to each other.

Neither one was tall enough for me, so the Clearview went back and I have the KW up for sale.
http://hondaf6b.com/showthread.php?3758-Klock-Works-sheild-for-sale-200

BIGLRY
09-10-2014, 12:53 PM
and some pic of them both on the bike.

and one more with the KW on top.

Fla_rider
09-11-2014, 08:23 PM
Mine came in today. I won't go into assembly details since we all have the t-shirt so here's some pics. It's raining so no test drive tonight. Thanks to the Rally and Clearview Shields. Off with the baggershield.

8545. 8546

8547. 8548

Injun Joe
09-11-2014, 08:33 PM
Mine came in today. I won't go into assembly details since we all have the t-shirt so here's some pics. It's raining so no test drive tonight. Thanks to the Rally and Clearview Shields. Off with the baggershield.

8545. 8546

8547. 8548

Looks great! What size is that? I have the small one and have been very happy. But then all I really want is to keep the bugs off my face shield and have the windshield out of the way as much as possible.

Still love the look of the shorty, opaque Cee Bailey. Still may pop for it when I get done with all the other priorities.

Fla_rider
09-11-2014, 08:46 PM
It's a tall, all the way down. I don't like wind currents buffeting my helmet and rattling my few brain cells.

srt8-in-largo
09-11-2014, 09:40 PM
Can you see over it John? How tall are you?

I got my tracking number today for a large dark tint just like yours.

Fla_rider
09-12-2014, 05:23 AM
George,
I'm only 5'7", but I sit tall in the saddle. When I had the baggershield on I could see over it with both pieces on.

srt8-in-largo
09-12-2014, 01:40 PM

It sure looks great on the bike. I'd be interested in hearing your riding impressions.

Steve 0080
09-12-2014, 05:56 PM
I have the Clearview small, sport, Lt tint, w/vent..... this is my 6 or 7th shield...I think I am join to order a Klock Works...or however it is spelled...any body want to try the small....?

srt8-in-largo
09-12-2014, 08:04 PM
Holy crap Steve, that's a lot of shields. I think BigLry has a KW for sale.

XKnight
09-12-2014, 09:12 PM
Does Clearview use Polycarbonbate/Lexan or Acrylic/Lucite? Can't seem to find the answer on their website.

srt8-in-largo
09-12-2014, 09:34 PM
Idk but when mine gets here and its made out of peanut butter I'll let ya know :icon_biggrin:

Is there big difference between the two?

Fla_rider
09-12-2014, 09:58 PM
My clearview says I can use rainx on it.

Wish it would stop raining!:icon_doh:

Steve 0080
09-13-2014, 06:43 AM
Holy crap Steve, that's a lot of shields. I think BigLry has a KW for sale.

Just what I do... tried out three for someone as to offer opinions on design..... I like the Clearview a lot, this one could have been a couple of inches taller for me....Baggershield was good.....time for KW

A vent is a must have item!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

fun
09-13-2014, 10:50 AM
Thought I would add a pic of my black beauty with the new windshield...2319

I purchased the medium in smoke tint and installed it over the weekend. What a relief! No more buffeting to the face. GA summers are hot, so I did spring for the adjustable vent. I love this shield! I believe it's the 3rd Clearview for me over the years.

It also provides you the wind deflection of a taller shield but still maintains the sporty F6B look.

Steve 0080
09-13-2014, 11:07 AM

XKnight
09-13-2014, 11:15 AM
Idk but when mine gets here and its made out of peanut butter I'll let ya know :icon_biggrin:

Is there big difference between the two?

Polycarbonate is significantly stronger and does not shatter into pieces upon impact. I use to not know the difference either until I started doing some research and now I will only buy Polycarbonate/Lexan shields.

This video sums it up well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hsls5ZPCUnE

Injun Joe
09-13-2014, 12:06 PM
Polycarbonate is significantly stronger and does not shatter into pieces upon impact. I use to not know the difference either until I started doing some research and now I will only buy Polycarbonate/Lexan shields.

This video sums it up well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hsls5ZPCUnE

Had Dennis Hopper only known...

Hornblower
09-13-2014, 12:31 PM

Not arguing with your statement above but this choice may not be as clear as you think. While it is true that polycarbonate is shatter-resistant (even used in bullet-proof windows), it is soft and without a good scratch-resistant coating, will scratch very easily. If purchasing a polycarbonate shield, it would be smart to find out what coating, if any, has been applied. That may be the reason behind the use of harder plastic polymers like acrylic. Like many choices we have these days, there will almost always be a compromise involved.

Steve 0080
09-13-2014, 02:27 PM
^^^^^^ +1 I'm thinking I would want a shield to break if my fat :moon: was trying to fly thru it.......

Hornblower
09-13-2014, 02:35 PM
^^^^^^ +1 I'm thinking I would want a shield to break if my fat :moon: was trying to fly thru it.......

No worries, Steve! With your brawn, you'll bust through any shield :yikes:

XKnight
09-13-2014, 05:04 PM
Not arguing with your statement above but this choice may not be as clear as you think. While it is true that polycarbonate is shatter-resistant (even used in bullet-proof windows), it is soft and without a good scratch-resistant coating, will scratch very easily. If purchasing a polycarbonate shield, it would be smart to find out what coating, if any, has been applied. That may be the reason behind the use of harder plastic polymers like acrylic. Like many choices we have these days, there will almost always be a compromise involved.

It's all about personal preferences. I don't want a shield to break into sharp pieces during an accident so am willing to spend a little extra money for the stronger material. F4 Customs for instance uses Polycarbonate and puts a special coating on the shield to make it scratch resistant. National Cycle, Honda OEM and Klock Werks also uses Polycarbonate instead of Acrylic. I was just wondering what material Clearview uses if anyone knows?

Fla_rider
09-13-2014, 05:30 PM
Took her out at highway speeds today. She seems to do well and fit the height of between baggershield low setting and upper section in. The vent felt great in the south Florida heat. :clap2:
I also love the dark look!

srt8-in-largo
09-14-2014, 09:49 PM
Success! :yes:

Dark shields give bikes more of a custom look IMO.

Fla_rider
09-15-2014, 01:12 PM
Clearview shield is it's coated Acrylic..here it is in their words.....

Subject: Clearview Shields Inquiry
Hello John,
Our shields are made from a high impact modified acrylic material. The benefits of this material is that it does not have any chemical coating on it, which in turn, allows our shields to be compatible with standard Rainex, and also, any scratches from normal wear and tear, can be buffed out. If there is anything else that I can do for you, please let me know. Regards.

BIGLRY
09-15-2014, 02:28 PM
Clearview shield is it's coated Acrylic..here it is in their words.....

Subject: Clearview Shields Inquiry
Hello John,
Our shields are made from a high impact modified acrylic material. The benefits of this material is that it does not have any chemical coating on it, which in turn, allows our shields to be compatible with standard Rainex, and also, any scratches from normal wear and tear, can be buffed out. If there is anything else that I can do for you, please let me know. Regards.
as are Slip Streamer's shields "Starting with the first clear acrylic stand-alone windshield, Slipstreamer has been manufacturing quality windshields for more than 40 years" http://www.slipstreamer.com/

srt8-in-largo
09-20-2014, 05:31 PM
Well I received my large Clearview with recurve and the wider touring width. It fits like a charm and I can easily see well over the top. At 5'10" and 32" inseam, the airstream just hits the top of my helmet. Further, although buffeting is absent for the majority of the time there are certain conditions where I experienced the kind of buffeting that slaps your head around. Not often, but I do get it every once in a while.

The dark grey looks great on the bike but performance is not on par with my 11" Madstad. I think I'll keep the Clearview for looking good around town; it does perform well but I've been spoiled. I'll keep the Madstad for long trips or rides with a passenger.

hiflyer
09-24-2014, 07:34 AM
The dark grey looks great on the bike but performance is not on par with my 11" Madstad. I think I'll keep the Clearview for looking good around town; it does perform well but I've been spoiled. I'll keep the Madstad for long trips or rides with a passenger.

My clearview looks good too, but it can't beat the madstad for function. That's why it's in the attic with all the others I tried before the M/S.

CheesyRider
05-04-2015, 09:19 AM
I'm thinking about try a Clearview with recurve. Although I'll be looking over the shield for the most part, I think I'd find any distortion distracting. Is there any noticeable distortion caused by the recurve?

srt8-in-largo
05-04-2015, 12:50 PM
Ya know... if there is any distortion at all it's so small that I haven't given that any thought since getting mine.

I have the dark tint Clearview so I can't say if distortion is or isn't more noticeable in a clear shield.

Fla_rider
05-04-2015, 02:56 PM
If there is I don't notice it either. I have the tall windscreen dark tint for Florida, where it always shines! :moon:

MDG1957
05-04-2015, 03:21 PM
I just installed a Clearview medium height, touring width, clear, with recurve and vent, in the highest position. Definitely an improvement from the little shield that comes with the bike. I'm 5'7" and whereas the wind at highway speeds had hit me square in the face before, now it skims top of helmet. Can actually hear radio (OEM) at 70mph, turned up to 18-20. However, I am getting more buffeting from the sides, even with vent open. I'm wondering if that would decrease if I lower the mounting position (it has about 3/4" play). The widest part of the shield sits a bit above the cowling the way I have it set now, and tapers in, so there is a significant gap where wind might be passing through at the bottom sides of the windshield. Anyhow, I'll give that a try when I feel like taking off the front again, maybe over the weekend.

bobbyf6b
05-04-2015, 03:44 PM
I'm thinking of getting one too. I like my Windbender but it's better suited for cooler temps. I need/ want a vent in the heat. I'm currently using a Wing shield I cut to be 15" high. I wonder if I should get the small or medium Clearview since they say it kicks the wind up 1.5-2".

hiflyer
05-04-2015, 05:57 PM
I'm thinking of getting one too. I like my Windbender but it's better suited for cooler temps. I need/ want a vent in the heat. I'm currently using a Wing shield I cut to be 15" high. I wonder if I should get the small or medium Clearview since they say it kicks the wind up 1.5-2".

The Clearview is a great shield, don't cut yourself short though. I bought a 13" and it was too short for me. I sold it on the forum. Like the looks, and quality. If I had only bought a 15 incher........

vmaxed
05-04-2015, 06:50 PM
I bought a 15" touring width,with recurve medium tint,15/20 day delivery.

toy_collector
05-04-2015, 08:28 PM
I have the tallest sport windshield with the medium tint. I'm 6'1" and I'm glad I got the tall one. It is almost too short as it is. It does look very good and I'm considering elongating the slot to get a little more height out of it. I do sit very tall so others may find it fine. Also, I'm currently running with the stock seat with a back rest which sits me up higher. I had the mustang seat which is noticeably lower and definitely works better with this shield.

tinknocker
05-04-2015, 08:31 PM
2980 this is my tall smoked tour width shield...definitely lie the protection by there are 2 shots on both sides where the inner fairing rubbed off the black on the bottom of the shield...

srt8-in-largo
05-04-2015, 09:35 PM
It's funny how when I first saw a stock F6B I thought WOW, what a hot looking bike! Now when I see one with the stock shield I think, man that looks weird :icon_biggrin:

srt8-in-largo
05-04-2015, 09:38 PM
13665 this is my tall smoked tour width shield...definitely lie the protection by there are 2 shots on both sides where the inner fairing rubbed off the black on the bottom of the shield...

Ditto.

I put a larger piece of black wrap on my Clearview and in just a few hundred miles of riding the inner fairing rubbed through it. This is obviously a pressure point of the shield.

bobbyf6b
05-04-2015, 10:05 PM
13665 this is my tall smoked tour width shield...definitely lie the protection by there are 2 shots on both sides where the inner fairing rubbed off the black on the bottom of the shield...

Can't see the shield. :shrug:

srt8-in-largo
05-04-2015, 10:21 PM
Can't see the shield. :shrug:

I just closed my eyes and drew one in my mind :icon_biggrin:

shooter
05-04-2015, 10:23 PM
I just put mine on last week. Rode about 150 miles Saturday. Its OK. Its 1/2 inch short of the advertised size. I was a little disappointed at that. And yes I measured it properly. I'll probably run it this season. Thinking about a Klockwerks.

shooter
05-04-2015, 10:27 PM
I just closed my eyes and drew one in my mind :icon_biggrin:

With George , Bobby , its mind over matter. His mind is like a steel trap. And the trap has been sprung.:lolup:

gmorstad
05-04-2015, 10:35 PM
I have the tallest sport windshield with the medium tint. I'm 6'1" and I'm glad I got the tall one. It is almost too short as it is. It does look very good and I'm considering elongating the slot to get a little more height out of it. I do sit very tall so others may find it fine. Also, I'm currently running with the stock seat with a back rest which sits me up higher. I had the mustang seat which is noticeably lower and definitely works better with this shield.

I am also 6'1" and sit tall. After I did the prescribed measurements I also ordered and had installed the tall Clearview recurve. I agree it does look very good but it is too short for good protection. I came from a ST1300 and the windshield on the ST gave me a much quieter ride. I also ordered the Sport model and get buffeting on my arms which is again a disappointment. As soon as it was installed I voiced my reservations about the height to my dealer. They in turn called Clearview and were told that Clearview doesn't make a taller shield. After reading these blogs and seeing the video I am at least hoping it is a strong acrylic and can't be shattered like the sample shown. I was not aware that the Honda OEM is polycarbonate. Feeling pretty disappointed right now and am aware that Clearview does not have an easy return policy. If I could do it over again, I would spend the money for an 18" F4 Custom like a friend advised me to do in the first place.

srt8-in-largo
05-04-2015, 10:38 PM
With George , Bobby , its mind over matter. His mind is like a steel trap. And the trap has been sprung.:lolup:

:crackup:

I didn't even get any cheese either!

srt8-in-largo
05-04-2015, 10:43 PM
I just put mine on last week. Rode about 150 miles Saturday. Its OK. Its 1/2 inch short of the advertised size. I was a little disappointed at that. And yes I measured it properly. I'll probably run it this season. Thinking about a Klockwerks.

I am also 6'1" and sit tall. After I did the prescribed measurements I also ordered and had installed the tall Clearview recurve. I agree it does look very good but it is too short for good protection. I came from a ST1300 and the windshield on the ST gave me a much quieter ride. I also ordered the Sport model and get buffeting on my arms which is again a disappointment. As soon as it was installed I voiced my reservations about the height to my dealer. They in turn called Clearview and were told that Clearview doesn't make a taller shield. After reading these blogs and seeing the video I am at least hoping it is a strong acrylic and can't be shattered like the sample shown. I was not aware that the Honda OEM is polycarbonate. Feeling pretty disappointed right now and am aware that Clearview does not have an easy return policy. If I could do it over again, I would spend the money for an 18" F4 Custom like a friend advised me to do in the first place.

IMO the Clearview is a blend of performance and aesthetics... with maybe a higher weighting towards aesthetics. Sorry to hear about you guys' disappointments; maybe the "tour-width" and "recurve" options woulda made it a different experience? This is what I have on the "tall" shield and it does ok for me.