PDA

View Full Version : Madstad!

chipmaker
11-26-2013, 11:53 AM
Finally got my Madstad installed. So far so good. I had one before on my HD RG, but all adjustments needed tools, this one is nice, knobs make it toolless adjusting.

Scotrod
11-26-2013, 01:25 PM
Is that an 11 or 13?

Almost wondering how much loss of helmet ventilation one may experience with such a set up, meaning, I usually run with the very top of my helmet in the 'blast' coming over a conventional shield. lotsa top ventilation with not a lot of disturbance/buffetting.

As I understand it, the airflow behind the Madstad is still there, but at a reduced velocity/smoother,,,

Is the air still moving fast enough to have ventilation comparable to what I've described above, or??? :shrug:

Bruce B
11-26-2013, 02:20 PM
Is that an 11 or 13?

Almost wondering how much loss of helmet ventilation one may experience with such a set up, meaning, I usually run with the very top of my helmet in the 'blast' coming over a conventional shield. lotsa top ventilation with not a lot of disturbance/buffetting.

As I understand it, the airflow behind the Madstad is still there, but at a reduced velocity/smoother,,,

Is the air still moving fast enough to have ventilation comparable to what I've described above, or??? :shrug:

With the Madstad you can adjust to get any amount of airflow you want over the top of your helmet. Also,of course, open or close helmet vents as desired. Adjust for cold or warm weather rides as the need may be. I really like mine a lot.

chipmaker
11-26-2013, 03:15 PM
With the Madstad you can adjust to get any amount of airflow you want over the top of your helmet. Also,of course, open or close helmet vents as desired. Adjust for cold or warm weather rides as the need may be. I really like mine a lot.

Yeah mine is the 11". I can drop it down so wind is 1/2 in my face or move it up and wind @ 80mph is 2" over my lid. At the highest adjustment, I still look way over it. Should be perfect for AZ...

Scotrod
11-26-2013, 04:11 PM
Bruce/Chip, thanks for the feedback! :yes:

Chip,,, How tall and what inseam? All arrows for me are pointing towards a 15 'stad, but would like to get by with less if possible,,,

Only 6-0 here, but all torso with 30 inseam and a RDL seat that moves me a bit higher,,,,,

chipmaker
11-26-2013, 05:44 PM
I am 5'10'' and slouch, 30 inseam. I wouldn't get the 11" if you u are any taller. I would say to follow what the website says...

Scotrod
11-26-2013, 08:23 PM
15" in Light Gray ordered. :icon_biggrin:

Worst part of it all,,,, It won't fit under my 1 month old OEM Honda F6B bike cover,,,:icon_frown:

Bruce B
11-26-2013, 09:28 PM
15" in Light Gray ordered. :icon_biggrin:

Worst part of it all,,,, It won't fit under my 1 month old OEM Honda F6B bike cover,,,:icon_frown:

Don't be at all surprised if you find yourself wanting to change out to the 13" shield. I'm 5'10" and have an 11" shield on the way to compare with my exixting 13". It's due to arrive Dec. 4. I'm going to match that with a 1" higher base plate.

Scotrod
11-26-2013, 09:43 PM
Yes, it was 13,, 15,,, 13,,, 15,,, Picked the 15,,,,

I know how I am,,,, Pretty much a given that I'll end up with a 13 somewhere down the road, but 'chart says', it's wintertime, etc.

I've been know to cut shields down every now and then as well,,, :icon_biggrin:

Keep the info coming! Always nice to hear how others are doing with this system as it's not your average 'shield'!

d-shark
11-28-2013, 11:34 AM
I have to say it's unfortunate for prospective purchasers of the Madstad windshield system that Madstad has not been able to standardize their F6B product. I spent a lot of time providing feedback to Mark on this subject but it's clear not all of that sank in or we simply disagree on certain points. I know it's Marks product but on the other hand I am actually riding with it every day. I hope as you guys get your shields installed and ride them that we can continue to compare notes to help others considering a purchase.

I hate to beat a dead horse here but the height of the Base Shield has a lot to do with which Outer Shield height will work for you.

First thing Madstad needs to do is standardize on the Base Shield height. So far they have shipped 8", 9" and 10" tall Base Shields to different F6B customers (height measured from the base of the faring gasket to the top of the Base Shield). The standard GL1800 Base Shield height is 10" so I'm confused why they would supply something different for the F6B??? I'm running the 10" Base Shield and think it's the best way to go for reasons given in the past.

Second thing Madstad needs to do is adjust down their recommended Outer Shield heights based on rider heights. Their site currently recommends a 15" Outer Shield height for 6'-2" and taller. I let Mark talk me at 6'-2" into a 16" Outer Shield and that was way too tall. I'm now using the 11" Outer Shield with 10" Base Shield with great success.

In a telephone conversation I had with Mark he expressed his concern that if you adjust the Outer Shield up too high relative to the Base Shield that the overall effectiveness of the windshield to provide the rider calm air is compromised. I think it's this belief on his part that leads him to suggest taller Outer Shield heights? So if you follow the Website guidelines you will likely end up with a windshield that you can barely see over when adjusted down.

I can state for a fact that if you have the 10" Base Shield you can raise the Outer Shield to the Full UP position with no loss of wind protection whatsoever. This was true with the 16" outer shield I received originally and with the 11" Outer Shield I am now using. Point being is if you have the 10" Base Shield, Mark's concern of raising the Outer Shield so high that wind protection is compromised is not valid. So again, I'm confused why Mark is reluctant to standardize on the 10" Base Shield for the F6B when this is their standard for the GL1800 Goldwing???

Also as I have pointed out before the 10" Base Shield provides the maximum range of useful Outer Shield vertical adjustment IMO. I can adjust my Outer Shield so that the top of the Outer Shield ranges anywhere from 11" (Full Down) to 14" (Full Up) above the base of the faring gasket.

With the 8" Base Shield the adjustment range for the same 11" Outer Shield is 9" to 12" above the base of the faring gasket. Problem here is with the Outer Shield adjusted Full Down the bottom of the shield starts to get close to the faring choking off air flow between the Outer Shield and Base Shield. When this happens there has been some evidence of compromised wind protection for the rider.

Looking forward to others comments.

d-shark
11-28-2013, 11:41 AM
Finally got my Madstad installed. So far so good. I had one before on my HD RG, but all adjustments needed tools, this one is nice, knobs make it toolless adjusting.

Chipmaker,

Looks like you got the shorter 8" Base Shield (as measured from the top of the Base Shield to the base of the faring gasket)? Also looks like you have the Outer Shield adjusted almost all the way UP, is that correct and is this your preferred shield position for best wind protection?

As pictured is the top of the Outer Shield approximately 12" above the base of the faring gasket?

chipmaker
11-28-2013, 01:41 PM
From the gasket to top of base = 7". After riding a bunch yesterday, shield is now at 11.5".

bobbyf6b
11-28-2013, 02:01 PM
I don't see on the site where you can choose what size base shield you want.

chipmaker
11-28-2013, 02:02 PM
There is no choice for base shield.

d-shark
11-28-2013, 02:45 PM
I don't see on the site where you can choose what size base shield you want.

Sorry, forgot to include that specific point in my post. If you call Madstad when ordering and ask for the 10" Base Shield you will get it.

This photo is from the Madstad site showing the GL1800 10" Base Shield (10 inches measured from the top of the Base Shield to the Base or Bottom of the faring gasket:
http://madstad.bounceme.net/goldwing/galleria/GL1800_01.jpg

bobbyf6b
11-28-2013, 03:08 PM
Sorry, forgot to include that specific point in my post. If you call Madstad when ordering and ask for the 10" Base Shield you will get it.

This photo is from the Madstad site showing the GL1800 10" Base Shield (10 inches measured from the top of the Base Shield to the Base or Bottom of the faring gasket:

Thanks.

Chip, you going with us on Saturday? Then I could check out your shield.

d-shark
11-28-2013, 03:14 PM
From the gasket to top of base = 7". After riding a bunch yesterday, shield is now at 11.5".

Chipmaker, you have what I'll call the 8" Base Shield (8 inches measured from the top of the Base Shield to the Base or Bottom of the faring gasket). At 6'-2" I have the top of my Outer Shield set approx 12" above the faring gasket. I'm 4" taller than you yet we run the same approx shield height? Do you have the stock seat or an aftermarket that sets you up a bit from stock?

I can set the top of my 11" Outer Shield all the way UP to 14" above the faring gasket however the wind protection is neither improved nor diminished for me or my passenger at the higher setting. Have not ridden in rain yet but the extra height may be helpful there??? Will let you guys know when I have tested that out.

I guess the question that has yet to be answered is: Does the taller Base Shield offer any added wind protection effect compared to the shorter Base Shield? On my set-up there is a TON of air going between the Outer Shield and Base Shield. It's like a 70 mph air curtain. My 10" Base is 25% taller than the 8" base. I would think that much added Base Shield area would have more of a channeling effect improving performance but could be wrong?

It will be interesting to see what Bruce reports, he is waiting for a 9" Base Shield to swap out with his 8", 12/5% added height.

chipmaker
11-28-2013, 04:32 PM
Thanks.

Chip, you going with us on Saturday? Then I could check out your shield.

I'll be working.

At 80 mph the wind goes over my head by 2", and I look way over it. Just as I wanted. Maybe u guys are over thinking it. Either it does what u want or it doesn't. Mine does. This is my second Madstad. First was on RG.
I wouldn't change a thing.

Scotrod
11-28-2013, 05:12 PM
Maybe u guys are over thinking it.

Or perhaps using it / trying to make it work like another semi-similar system? :shrug:

Can't confirm this as 100% fact, but I believe the basic function of the base on a Madstad is structural support for bracket attachment only, not necessarily for wind movement. (Check out the V-strom shields and the Victory shields)

Overall, I believe the sole, basic function of a Madstad is to hold a shield out in front of you while letting air come up behind it,, kinda like holding just one shield out in front of yourself with your hands, tilting it to redirect the air,,,

Firecreek is similar, and also lets air up under, but without the rake kit, it's basically an 'extendable' shield,,,

Here's another thought,,, I spent untold amounts of time w/an adjustable-rake MS Batwing fairing. I had at least 7 different shields for it in all different shapes and sizes, but adjusting the rake was key in smoothing and directing the air. 'Flip' shields will stir the shnit out of the air beyond a certain speed, while plain old 'flat' shields worked best for me and my set up.

BUT,,, shields are like seats,,, one size does not fit all!!! :icon_biggrin:

hiflyer
12-07-2013, 10:57 AM
Looking for additional comments. Running a Cee Bailey 15", want less buffet and noise. 5'11". Noise is less with a 3/4 helmet than a full. I'd rather ride with a full.

hiflyer
12-07-2013, 12:24 PM
Additional comments for the Madstad that is please

Scotrod
12-07-2013, 12:50 PM
Mine came in Wed. Looks like a nice product, but due to weather, bike outside on back patio, never home during daylight,,,, all I have done so far is bolt the robo-brackets to the base,,, Nothing mounted to the bike yet,,,

This afternoon, I'll get the 6 in the garage, get it mounted, but at 40 degrees/cloudy, this Texan won't be doing any 'significant' testing today!!! 'freezing-cold'

After this lil cold snap, there will be plenty of 70 degree days coming up this 'winter'!!! :bronze07:

hiflyer
12-07-2013, 03:55 PM
Scott, which base plate did your get?

Bruce B
12-08-2013, 01:11 AM
Chipmaker, you have what I'll call the 8" Base Shield (8 inches measured from the top of the Base Shield to the Base or Bottom of the faring gasket). At 6'-2" I have the top of my Outer Shield set approx 12" above the faring gasket. I'm 4" taller than you yet we run the same approx shield height? Do you have the stock seat or an aftermarket that sets you up a bit from stock?

I can set the top of my 11" Outer Shield all the way UP to 14" above the faring gasket however the wind protection is neither improved nor diminished for me or my passenger at the higher setting. Have not ridden in rain yet but the extra height may be helpful there??? Will let you guys know when I have tested that out.

I guess the question that has yet to be answered is: Does the taller Base Shield offer any added wind protection effect compared to the shorter Base Shield? On my set-up there is a TON of air going between the Outer Shield and Base Shield. It's like a 70 mph air curtain. My 10" Base is 25% taller than the 8" base. I would think that much added Base Shield area would have more of a channeling effect improving performance but could be wrong?

It will be interesting to see what Bruce reports, he is waiting for a 9" Base Shield to swap out with his 8", 12/5% added height.

I got the 11" shield and 9" base on Wednesday (4th). My first move was to replace my 13" shield with the 11" using the existing 8" base. Good results for protection/noise. With the 13", I had to raise it further than I liked to leave an adequate open space on the bottom. Using the 11" I could have a lower top edge and still have lots of room at the bottom. Next week, as time allows, I'll be installing the 9" base with the 11" shield. I fully expect that this will be my preferred arrangement. At my 5'10", this should be good. For those of you who are taller, I can see where the 10" base would serve the exact same purpose. Through all this tinkering, in all configurations, the Madstad is the best shield I've ever owned. And I really like the aggressive styling too,especially with the dark tint. There's so much visibility over the top and to the sides of the Madstad that I think I'd be comfortable with the extra dark opaque shield. I don't want to go that far but for those who might, no problem.

Scotrod
12-08-2013, 11:08 AM
Scott, which base plate did your get?

Mine came with a base that measures 8" above the edge of the rubber weather-stripping. I like the 'fit/size' of the base on the bike.

Gut instinct is telling me the 15 will probably be too tall,,, Not because I can't see above it, I can by 2-4 inches.. (Set at 60 degrees, full 'down') but more because I'd like to experiment,,, experiment with a 13 set / slid a bit higher,,,,

Got plenty of 'gap' at the 'inlet' now,,, Probably 1 1/2" in the middle,,, more at the outer edges,,, shield is slightly lower than the top of the garnish,,,

Doesn't quite follow the lines of the garnish as close as it could,,,

Still haven't had an opportunity to test/tune...

Scotrod
12-08-2013, 11:13 AM
My first move was to replace my 13" shield .

Hmm,,, If it turns out down the road that you are sure you will no longer need/want/use that 13,,, I'd be interested in purchasing it from you.

No hurry. I want both of us to have plenty of time to test our set-ups first!!! :yes:

Lucas
12-08-2013, 02:53 PM
Yeah mine is the 11". I can drop it down so wind is 1/2 in my face or move it up and wind @ 80mph is 2" over my lid. At the highest adjustment, I still look way over it. Should be perfect for AZ...

The Madstad windscreen looks interesting. The entire unit is forward of the stock windscreen? Would this provide more clearance for a set of Heli-bars?

Thank you!
Lucas, in AZ

chipmaker
12-08-2013, 03:25 PM
The Madstad windscreen looks interesting. The entire unit is forward of the stock windscreen? Would this provide more clearance for a set of Heli-bars?

Thank you!
Lucas, in AZ

Maybe? Haven't seen the helibars on a bike yet. The outer shield is mounted on 9 or 10 inch inner "shield".

Scotrod
12-09-2013, 01:52 PM
Took the 6 out for an hour or so yesterday. Tune/test both the Madstad and a new Tourmaster 'Flex" jacket. (Needed something a bit warmer than my old Tourmaster 'Air'.) Pretty impressed with the warmth of the Flex on it's maiden voyage. :yes:

I was able to incrementally dial in the Madstad to a 'zone' of adjustment that netted very similar positive results, so I'm assuming I'm pretty darn close...

60-70 out in the country, little/no traffic,,, just a very faint 'tickle' on the head,,, very faint,,,, :yes: Far less noise than the prior shields.

Doing 80 back on IH-10, tons of traffic,,, eh,,, pretty rough,,, 'As rough as' any shield I've had so far,,,

hiflyer
12-09-2013, 02:06 PM
Took the 6 out for an hour or so yesterday. Tune/test both the Madstad and a new Tourmaster 'Flex" jacket. (Needed something a bit warmer than my old Tourmaster 'Air'.) Pretty impressed with the warmth of the Flex on it's maiden voyage. :yes:

I was able to incrementally dial in the Madstad to a 'zone' of adjustment that netted very similar positive results, so I'm assuming I'm pretty darn close...

60-70 out in the country, little/no traffic,,, just a very faint 'tickle' on the head,,, very faint,,,, :yes: Far less noise than the prior shields.

Doing 80 back on IH-10, tons of traffic,,, eh,,, pretty rough,,, 'As rough as' any shield I've had so far,,,

So you're saying there is still a lot of buffet at 80, right?

chipmaker
12-09-2013, 04:42 PM

Bummer, my wife and I rode from Tucson to Phx @ 85 ++ and I still got the breeze over my 3/4 lid...

Scotrod
12-09-2013, 06:14 PM
So you're saying there is still a lot of buffet at 80, right?

I was riding in a lot of traffic/turbulence,,, I have not tried 80 in 'clean' air,,,

Can't condem it nor can I say it's the neatest thing since sliced bread either,,,

Much quieter and calmer than my 20.5 Baggershield in 'decent' air. (Convertable baggershield slid full 'up')

Not sure what would provide calm air when you can spit and hit 18 wheelers! :icon_biggrin:

Not clear what adjustments I could make to address that either,,, Next move may be to try a set of different holes in the bracket itself,,, reduce overall distance between outer shield and base w/o changing rake.

Having better luck 'laying' air over the top w/o 'stirring/rolling' it with the outer shield layed back a bit more than the recommended 60 degree 'starting point'.

Quiet a bit of air coming up behind the shield,,,

I like projects like this! :icon_biggrin:

Unfortunately, mother nature is NOT providing favorable weather!
:icon_frown:

d-shark
12-09-2013, 08:28 PM
Scotrod,

When Bruce received his shield his brackets were adjusted so that his shield was closer to the base than mine (my brackets came assembled to provide the max gap between shield and base). Bruce reconfigured his brackets to match mine and got improved wind protection. Bruce also noted that if he adjusted his 13" shield too low wind protection suffered (space between the bottom of the shield and base is decreased).

I have the 11" shield and adjusted to the right height for me the gap between the bottom of the shield and base is 2-1/2". The bottom of the shield height wise is positioned about 1" above the faring gasket. I can say the wind protection for me on the Interstate at 80+ is very good. My old BaggerShield was not even close.

I think the Madstad is acting somewhat like an airfoil. If you mentally tilt the rear edge of the wing in this diagram (left hand side) up to match the approximate angle of the Madstad the Lo Speed High Pressure stream depicted would be the stream of air passing between the Madstad Base and Shield. The High Speed Low Pressure stream of air is that passing in front of and over the top of the shield. This creates a lower pressure area at the top of the shield which helps to lift the Low Speed High Pressure stream of air between the base and shield up and over your head. Based on my experiments the more air flow between the base and shield the better.

http://www.daviddarling.info/images/airfoil_and_lift.jpg

I don't think the Madstad shield really blocks the wind. It simply creates a low pressure area that lifts the stream of air coming off the base up and over your head. I think you want as much air as possible going between the base and shield. That's why I still think the taller base provides an advantage.

Scotrod
12-09-2013, 09:46 PM
Anything's possible! I have no doubt the air coming in 'under' the shield rush's up towards the air coming over the top of the shield, pushing that layer up even further. Choking the lower layer off to 'an unworkable amount' would yield negative results.

Sunday was the "first-ever / just-installed" ride, and I'm not really having much problems with the clean air,,,

I'm sure there will be more experimenting done in the (hopefully) near future! :yes: