PDA

View Full Version : F6B 100,000 Mile Club

53driver
03-18-2019, 07:24 PM
F6B Riders!
If you have attained 100,000 miles on your F6B odometer, please state your name and post a pic of the odo and any other pertinent data like when & where you went over 100k!
Cheers,
Steve

1. "Drive Jehu" riding "F6BX" at 120,500 miles!

Drive Jehu
03-18-2019, 08:45 PM
Nice idea Steve, thanks. How many miles do you have on Isleen now? I got 93k...getting there - Steve

Hello to all from Macon Georgia! 120,560 smiles and counting on my 2013 F6B. I bought new in April of 2014 and thought I might keep her a couple of years and trade for new. I still can't find anything wrong with this marvelous machine and I enjoy the ride more today than when she was new. She is still a head turner!

The bike has not been on trailer since shipped to the dealership new. Together we have had an absolute blast riding the lower 48, Alaska, all of the lower Canadian Provinces and the Yukon. All in comfort, style and without a worry about anything mechanical. She has never left me stranded and it seems strange to state that. You already knew it - it's a Honda! Chances are you've never seen a GL 1800, or any Wing for that matter, on the side of the road broken down.

I'll circle back with an odometer photo soon. Our 5 year Anniversary is coming up next month!

Happy riding to you all!

unsub
03-19-2019, 04:03 AM
@ Drive Jehu 120, 560...

.notworthy.

Drive Jehu
03-19-2019, 07:03 PM
Ha! Thanks unsub but I'm just a fortunate guy who had plenty of opportunities to get in the wind. Georgia is a great State to ride in year round.

Drive Jehu
03-19-2019, 07:11 PM
Steve, At 93K is there any sign of mechanical fatigue? Slight loss of power? Shifting getting hard? Valve adjustments more frequent?

53driver
03-19-2019, 07:27 PM
Steve, At 93K is there any sign of mechanical fatigue? Slight loss of power? Shifting getting hard? Valve adjustments more frequent?

Oh that's funny!
Isleen still has yet to get a valve adjusted - been checked/measured a few times - no adjustment necessary.
No loss of power that I'm aware of. I test rode several bikes at Daytona and Isleen could still take any of them.
Shifting is fine.

How's the F6BX? She doing well?

Drive Jehu
03-21-2019, 07:40 PM
Yea, I was being funny. Same here the X is better than new. No valve adjustments. Runs and rides out better than new. Awesome machines!

Drive Jehu
04-21-2019, 08:35 PM
This past Friday the 19th was my 5 year anniversary with the F6BX.

I could not for the life of me think of what to get her. What DO you get for the girl who has it all? A tank of premium? Maybe a bath and wax? 303 oil treatment for the plastic? Nah. We rode 150 miles through a storm hauling a chain saw to the Lake. It rained. Looking in my rear view mirror at times it looked just like the wake of a boat. I only saw 2 other bikes out. Both Harley riders in an F150 trailering their scoots.

So it was a fitting end to a very sweet 5 years together. Another hard ride and put up wet with 122,348 smiles on her. No worst for the wear, we had sunshine and smiles all the way home today. Wishing the same for you all - happy riding!

Drive Jehu
04-21-2019, 09:11 PM
6344. Apologies for the poor quality photo. I'll need to re-learn how to post photos with an iPad or iPhone.

53driver
04-22-2019, 07:11 AM
This past Friday the 19th was my 5 year anniversary with the F6BX.

I could not for the life of me think of what to get her. What DO you get for the girl who has it all? A tank of premium? Maybe a bath and wax? 303 oil treatment for the plastic? ...
Wishing the same for you all - happy riding!

You could:
- get her some custom side badges
- get her a BeadRider seat
- do her eyebrows with some pretty LED lights
- a FULL spa day (lol)
- get her a Whelen TIR3 brake strobe light
- show her a family photo album of all her cousins

I could go on, but I just think you both enjoy just hanging out with each other.
And that's beautiful.
Steve

Drive Jehu
04-22-2019, 06:37 PM
Great list Steve! I read this a lunch today and got a big laugh out of it. You do understand the relationship. ;). I think it might have something to do with that pretty gal Isleen you've been spending time with.

53driver
04-22-2019, 07:11 PM
Isleen - my "motorized mistress"

RickW
04-23-2019, 08:29 AM
Oh that's funny!
Isleen still has yet to get a valve adjusted - been checked/measured a few times - no adjustment necessary.
No loss of power that I'm aware of. I test rode several bikes at Daytona and Isleen could still take any of them.
Shifting is fine.

How's the F6BX? She doing well?

With a little maintenance I'm not sure you can wear one of these out.....

53driver
04-23-2019, 08:43 AM
With a little maintenance I'm not sure you can wear one of these out.....

Yep!

Per GA Teach - "Best Bike Ever!"

jm21ddd15
04-23-2019, 10:24 AM
Yep!

Per GA Teach - "Best Bike Ever!"

Any one know if GA Teach, has reached the 100,000 miles yet?

53driver
04-23-2019, 01:13 PM
Any one know if GA Teach, has reached the 100,000 miles yet?

When Drive Jehu, LloydMoore, & I had dinner with her a few months back, she hadn't got there yet...but that was then.

53driver
05-31-2019, 12:20 AM
On the way to the top of Pike's Peak, Isleen rolled over 100,000 miles. I'm so proud of her!

Drive Jehu
05-31-2019, 11:10 AM
Heck Yea Steve! Rolling west on on that fine looking Isleen and now over 100,000 miles!! Woohooo!

jm21ddd15
05-31-2019, 10:09 PM
Congrats on the 100,000 miles!!!

shortleg0521
06-01-2019, 04:37 AM
This is the same things we found about our 1500 Valkyies in the day.
100k to these bikes is going to be the same it looks like.
Seems things that are smooth seem to run longer and I
think look better doing it.
The boxer motor is a proven piece of technology, how many here had
one of Ferdinand,s bugs. Simple, easy to work on(not counting air cleaner)
and just love thing we get for the ride.

53driver
07-09-2019, 09:12 PM
I'm back from my big adventure.
18,000 miles.
Current odometer is 116,200.
Isleen is resting well after a Traxxion Full Servicing this morning.

Walcrow
07-10-2019, 12:08 AM
Congrats on the mileage, Steve. Buzz me when you head back to Big D.

Drive Jehu
07-10-2019, 08:51 AM
18,000 mile adventure!?!? Very cool. Searching for photos next!

53driver
07-10-2019, 05:01 PM
18,000 mile adventure!?!? Very cool. Searching for photos next!

Gonna take me a month to get them off my phone and fabricate a cool story...lol

Drive Jehu
07-10-2019, 10:59 PM
Can’t wait to hear about it! I rolled 133k yesterday just before arriving in Deadhorse.
I just got back to Coldfoot Camp. I’m only about 6,000 miles into this trip. I’ll not top your 18K adventure!!

Ixol Phaane
08-20-2019, 11:01 PM
Okay, gents. I just rolled over 100000 miles on my 2014.
I wasn't on any wonderful road trip adventure, just rolling home from across the Valley here in Phoenix.
But I did stop to take a couple pics to commemorate the moment.

6701 6702

So, ride on, my friends. I look forward to seeing you on the road soon.

Be safe! :cool:

53driver
08-21-2019, 07:28 AM
I wasn't on any wonderful road trip adventure, just rolling home from across the Valley here in Phoenix.
But I did stop to take a couple pics to commemorate the moment.

Well done, my friend!
Cheers,
Steve

yabiah
08-21-2019, 07:51 PM

Well done, David!

Ixol Phaane
08-22-2019, 04:30 PM
Thanks, Steve! It's been awesome riding this machine for the past 5 years. I'm looking forward to riding a few more seasons aboard the starship. Gonna start a trip to Mackinaw City, MI then back to Colorado Springs, CO next month. That'll keep me on the road for about three weeks. And I'm considering a 4-5 day ride with a buddy of mine (AZ Wingrider) through California maybe Labor Day weekend. So, check your mirrors... I'm rolling up the miles right behind you! :D

Ride safe, amigo!

Ixol Phaane
08-22-2019, 04:32 PM
Well done, David!

Thank you, sir! I've always got an eye out looking for you whenever I'm on the road here in the valley. It's always good to the see you rolling out here.
Ride safe, my friend. :cool:

Az Wingrider
08-22-2019, 10:17 PM
Congratulations on the century mark to all of you who reached that magic milestone. I hope to be there in awhile.

Az Wingrider

wantone
08-23-2019, 04:27 PM
Can’t wait to hear about it! I rolled 133k yesterday just before arriving in Deadhorse.
I just got back to Coldfoot Camp. I’m only about 6,000 miles into this trip. I’ll not top your 18K adventure!!

Congratulations!!! You rode ur f6b to purdhoe bay? Dang that’s crazy. I’ve been planning a trip to purdhoe bay but was thinking of buying lighter bike like 600cc. I currently ride 2016 Street glide and feel like I won’t be able to handle it well on those roads.

Az Wingrider
08-23-2019, 06:56 PM
Congratulations!!! You rode ur f6b to purdhoe bay? Dang that’s crazy. I’ve been planning a trip to purdhoe bay but was thinking of buying lighter bike like 600cc. I currently ride 2016 Street glide and feel like I won’t be able to handle it well on those roads.
This Jehu's second trip to Prudhoe bay. If you do a search under his name you will find posts and great pictures from his last trip a couple of years ago. Drive Jehu is a hero to a bunch of us on the forum.

Drive Jehu
08-26-2019, 05:36 PM
Awesome to hear that another 6 rolls over 100,000! Congratulations to you and I wish you many more miles of safe happy riding!!

Drive Jehu
08-26-2019, 05:38 PM
This Jehu's second trip to Prudhoe bay. If you do a search under his name you will find posts and great pictures from his last trip a couple of years ago. Drive Jehu is a hero to a bunch of us on the forum.

Wow guys, you're making me blush! I did get back safely from my summer trip! I'll attempt a few pictures from my iPad soon. Cheers!

yabiah
08-31-2019, 09:23 AM
It happened last week on the eastbound I10.
I was somewhere in New Mexico, on my way to Texas to visit my daughter.

DarkKnt
09-09-2019, 11:06 AM
I think everybody that turns 100K should provide a list of all maintenance done to date. Did anything actually break, or wear out? Did anybody require a valve adjustment? Anything other than normal consumables (tires, oil, brakes). Inquiring minds want to know what lies ahead....

Drive Jehu
09-09-2019, 06:33 PM
I think everybody that turns 100K should provide a list of all maintenance done to date. Did anything actually break, or wear out? Did anybody require a valve adjustment? Anything other than normal consumables (tires, oil, brakes). Inquiring minds want to know what lies ahead....

DarkKnt,

Good question. My scoot is a 2013 and I bought it in April of 2014. With 140,467 on the clock here's the Repair List:
1). Alternator 8/24/16 @ 56,152 miles. It never quit, I was just blowing headlights what I thought was too often. Warranty
2). Fork seals 4/19/17 @ 67,514. One leaked which warranty paid for and I paid for the other. $412 and also included new fluid for both.
3). Steering Stem bearing 8/10/17 @ 83,489 All balls aftermarket installed $653 right after my first trip to Alaska. I was presented with the old steering stem race by my dealer. It was cracked and I now ride slower in Alaska.
4). 8/10/17 @ 83,489. Rear drive seal had a very light drip that started in Alaska. I never had to add oil. Warranty
5). Generator pulse 11/9/17 @ 92,101. An electrical part that caused the bike to cut off sometimes only while at idle. It would start right back up and run fine. Warranty
6). Front wheel bearings 2/17/18 @ 95,456 miles. The only way I knew they needed changing was my gas mileage dropped. I will change them every 75,000 miles from here out. I posted pictures on this forum of the old bearings and they were junked. So if you just joined the 100k club, my advice is to change your front wheel bearings. The bearings were $50? My son put them in.
7). Saddle bag plastic surrounding one hinge broke. 6/7/18 @ 102,980 miles. Warranty. Thanks Honda!
8). I know the right hand kill switch was replaced under warranty at some point. These need to be used on a regular basis.
9). Around 120,000 miles I replaced the clutch lever due to the wear it had. It had a little up and down motion and it bothered me. So I got an eBay unit that was like new for less than $75.

Note that my scoot has seen what most would consider severe service. Consistently rode hard and put up wet. At least 3 months of cumulative camping and it's likely over 4. In addition to the travel she had to live outside for a year. We have seen the lower 48, Alaska twice and every rideable Canadian Province except Labrador and Newfoundland. The F6BX has never failed to start or left me stranded. Within the last month my local Honda Service Manager has listened for valve noise and advised that I don't need a valve adjustment. It's never had one and never has been been checked any other way.
I have every gas receipt save 2. That's how I keep a check on the health of the bike. It's also a way to see where I've been. I know what the gas mileage should be based on what kind of riding I did that tank. I have not seen a decrease in performance yet. When I say this bike runs like new that's exactly how she runs. I will say the tone of the mufflers have deepened a tad. I'm very pleased with this marvelous machine!

I hope this helps and happy riding to you!

DarkKnt
09-09-2019, 10:45 PM
Thanks for that, exactly what I was hoping for... Some interesting stuff there. As an aside, I don't yet have 50K miles, but have changed both low beams 3 times each. Since the new alternator, how are bulbs lasting?

Drive Jehu
09-10-2019, 06:21 AM
Thanks for that, exactly what I was hoping for... Some interesting stuff there. As an aside, I don't yet have 50K miles, but have changed both low beams 3 times each. Since the new alternator, how are bulbs lasting?

Looking back in my records I gave up on the stock headlights (before the alternator was replaced) on 9/25/15 at 36,090 miles and went to LED. One of those LED dims is still in service. The other dim was changed 8/26/18 at 108,000 miles and is a slightly different color. That one lasted 10 miles and failed, it's replacement is still in service. The brights were changed to LED 1/23/17 @ 108,000 miles and both are still in service.

Back to the alternator, I remember the Dealer asking if the aftermarket headlights had a "driver" and if so they would not warrant the alternator. I think they wanted to know if I had halogen headlights.

All other bulbs are stock and while I haven't recorded when they fail they seem to last a reasonable amount of time. Maybe I've changed the tail lights two or three times and the blinkers once or twice at the most. Some of my radio bulbs need changing now. Dash lights are original and working.

53driver
09-19-2019, 06:58 PM

The only thing that I had to have done unexpectedly was the CPK sensor. I got the turn, turn, turn, no start and the Code 19. Then it started after a short waiting period.
I alerted my dealer (I was on the road) and they said bring it in. It worked fine the rest of the trip and when I brought it in, they "documented the failure" but didn't change it. When it started acting up again, I took it right to them and they changed it then. That time span was almost a year....lol.
Looking at Jehu's notes, I had the Traxxion Mega Monty installed so my fork seals, bearings etc were all redone as part of that install and have been maintained by Traxxion since.
I always use the Engine Cut Off switch (in both directions) so keep it exercised. See Phantom's post on what happens if you don't exercise it and only use the key.
I've never changed my wheel bearings, and Isleen hasn't seen the "hard mileage" that Jehu's F6BX has seen, but I'm gonna start paying attention there.
Great idea!
Cheers,
Steve

Walcrow
09-19-2019, 07:20 PM
If Jehu can darkside to Alaska, you can at least darkside around Pensacola.

Drive Jehu
09-20-2019, 08:35 PM
Hey Steve!

I think the wheel bearings being worn out had more to do with me not being careful with the hose and occasional pressure washer. I have ridden in a whole lot of rain. I've also ridden in a lot of calcium chloride slush. ( I hear the X corroding when it's real quiet��). A few thousand miles of off road. Bad bumps. None of this helped the wheel bearings.

My best guess is the after adventure deep cleaning that involved water under pressure contributed the most. During those times often the bike would be layed down on each side. But I really don't know the cause for sure.

Also note that the traditional check of side to side play and spinning the wheel to listen gave no indication of a problem. It was only the gas mileage drop that started me on the hunt for a problem. I just posted a photo in my original post of the rusty bearings.

Drive Jehu
04-13-2021, 06:55 PM
Low beam LED 😎 I hope this belong here 😁

Drive Jehu
04-15-2021, 07:28 PM
Next week marks 7 years of ownership of the F6BX. Still riding hard and putting her up wet, although I don’t bump off the rev (rush) limiter like I used to. I’ve now mastered the art of shifting a microsecond before it spoils the fun. 150,515 smiles to date and no regrets riding any of those miles and very thankful to still be upright and in one piece. That’s NOT a lot of miles on this GL 1800 platform BTW. I’ve seen zero decrease in performance, that I can feel. Still delivers the same mpg, and I still keep every gas receipt and check mileage. My mpg depends on my right wrist. 40mpg is still easy to get, same as always. Tear across South Dakota and it can drop to low 30s. I might do Fulley soon, the app that tracks mpg.

Best of all the bike has never left me stranded. Not once, and it’s carried me through a heap of mess. I’m still going off road when the notion hits me. Which it did a few weeks ago when I was out of State. Almost a bad decision. I’ll see if I have the pics of the ruts I left leaving a woods road, it was wet and a lot softer than it looked. I’ve never been afraid of anything when riding and at times I’m almost terrified on reflection.

Almost every motorcycle I’ve stoped to try to help on the side of the road have been Harleys. They do make a good looking bike. There was one Gold Wing I stoped for in 2019 on the Alaska HY. It was a mid 1980s with a bad stator. He said he couldn’t find a Honda stator and had to put a Chinese unit in, well, there you have it.

Happy riding to you all. For you new owners of this marvelous machine, congratulations! You bought a winner. And no matter your miles, relax. Follow the Honda recommendations and enjoy the ride.

Cheers!