PDA

View Full Version : To baby it or no worries

2wheelsforme
04-08-2019, 07:37 PM
Talking to some Wing Riders the other day and one asked what my shift light was on my dash. Why do I need that they asked. To avoid hitting the rev limiter is why if I'm pushing hard. One Guy said that was no danger for Him as He seldom gets over 4500 RPM and the other said He had never hit the limiter. I did a lot before installing the light. I've always considered the rice burners I've had to be pretty much bullet proof and always last longer than the bike itself does or at least my satisfaction with them. So am I bordering on abuse running hard sometimes or are they just too careful? I guess they want it to last a couple hundred thousand miles and I have no need for that myself.

STRaider
04-08-2019, 07:56 PM
Sounds like abuse to me. I ride fast a lot, but don't see a need to thrash the bike. Payed too much and enjoy it too much to try and wear it out in that manner. To each his own, as they say.

Fourks
04-08-2019, 08:09 PM
Those wing riders are a Bunch of senior citizens. Run it as hard as you like! Just make sure you maintain it.

53driver
04-08-2019, 08:11 PM
I guess I'll revert to what I told fellow pilots about the CH-53E helicopter:
Yes, it can lift 28,000 pounds.
Yes, it can fly 150 kias with that load.
But, if it does it every day, all day, the components are not going to last as long.
Abuse? No, it was designed for it, but not for continuous service.
Baby it? No, it wasn't designed for that either.

To the matter at hand:
The F6B was designed as a sport-touring sort of bike.
She should be used and exercised as such.
We can all sprint certain distances, but we all can't do it all day.

Treat her like the lady she is.
Cheers,
Steve

Cali261
04-08-2019, 09:44 PM
Talking to some Wing Riders the other day and one asked what my shift light was on my dash. Why do I need that they asked. To avoid hitting the rev limiter is why if I'm pushing hard. One Guy said that was no danger for Him as He seldom gets over 4500 RPM and the other said He had never hit the limiter. I did a lot before installing the light. I've always considered the rice burners I've had to be pretty much bullet proof and always last longer than the bike itself does or at least my satisfaction with them. So am I bordering on abuse running hard sometimes or are they just too careful? I guess they want it to last a couple hundred thousand miles and I have no need for that myself.

If you “ride it like you stole it”, sooner or later it may catch up to you or the bike. We all have our unique ways of enjoying (or escaping with our bike), and i guess there is no wrong way as long as no one gets hurt, or arrested. I remember a friend of mine once tell me, “if your gonna ride balls out, keep it above 70 so you don’t end up a cripple”.

Ride safe, and watch out for those loonies on their cell phones or texting while driving.

Heatnbeat
04-09-2019, 04:44 AM
Is there any harm to bouncing it off the rev limiter? I mean other than the wear that comes from that level of RPM?

VaBob
04-09-2019, 06:38 AM
Run it as hard as you want. Just dont come back here saying your motorcycle is junk, and honda sucks, and its only built for old people, when you eventually wear it out and it start breaking down on ya.

tenxxx
04-09-2019, 06:45 AM
I hit the rev limiter in first gear mostly. Cant get my foot to the shifter fast enough.
The 6k range isn't too bad on the motor. I think when you have the ECU reprogramed they can raise the limit to 7k.
I don't know why the rev limit is so low.
Has to do with the bore and stroke size I guess. There is a formula to figure the max RPM.
Ive had my fun on smaller bikes built for it. The golden years are for the arm chair Worriers.
I just recline and "B" happy I survived it all.
I love watching the young uns do it.
Hope it don't leave a scar

Fourks
04-09-2019, 08:26 AM
Is there any harm to bouncing it off the rev limiter? I mean other than the wear that comes from that level of RPM?

No, the engineers designed it to run at those RPM’s and they test engines to failure so there is a built in fudge factor. The only issue I see is friction is cumulative, so the engine will wear faster. So maybe a rebuild at 180,000 instead of 200,000?

2wheelsforme
04-09-2019, 08:39 AM
No, the engineers designed it to run at those RPM’s and they test engines to failure so there is a built in fudge factor. The only issue I see is friction is cumulative, so the engine will wear faster. So maybe a rebuild at 180,000 instead of 200,000?

I like this answer the best.

Sorcerer
04-09-2019, 08:49 AM
The rev limiter is the safety valve so to speak. I’ve run both my Bs on a dyno. After about 4,500 rpm the hp and torque start falling off. The trick is to make your shift so that when completed you are below that fall off rpm as you advance to the next gear in order to pull through the next gear. Ya hitting the rev limiter on a Preformance “pass” is an eye opener. Hitting it when racing may loose you a race. I’m not riding my bike for the next owner.

jm21ddd15
04-09-2019, 02:43 PM
Hitting the rev limiter is not a big deal, however, if a rider plans to ride the "posted speed limit" or say 5-10 mph above, then we really only need about 3 gears, if we are going to the limiter, otherwise we are apt to get a speeding ticket every day. Especially in a city area.

Heatnbeat
04-09-2019, 06:25 PM
Kind of what I thought. I bang it in first on my Ultra sometimes because it comes on pretty quick. For some reason not so often on the F6
First vehicle I ever had with a rev limiter ( didn't know it) was my 85 MR2. Around a long bend just opening up, I accelerated hard, the engine was still pulling and suddenly it went all to hell. "OH F!! I blew it up!! LOL

JWExperience
04-09-2019, 07:18 PM
My uncle bought a ninja 900 like the one Tom cruise rode in top gun(late 80’s) and when they were testing that engine they ran it at redline for like 24 hrs. Bikes these days are designed to run everywhere inside the redline for extended periods. I suspect that the redline has to do with where the power dropoff occurs because as was mentioned before, what’s the point to continue running the revs up if you’re losing power. I’m sure this engine could run at higher rpm but the 6k redline prob keeps it bullet proof and closer to the power band.

Heatnbeat
04-09-2019, 08:27 PM
Holy S!!! 24 hrs??
Sometimes depending on what's happening the power might be dropping off but shifting is inconvenient. Not like in a straight line.

opas ride
04-09-2019, 08:38 PM
My uncle bought a ninja 900 like the one Tom cruise rode in top gun(late 80’s) and when they were testing that engine they ran it at redline for like 24 hrs. Bikes these days are designed to run everywhere inside the redline for extended periods. I suspect that the redline has to do with where the power dropoff occurs because as was mentioned before, what’s the point to continue running the revs up if you’re losing power. I’m sure this engine could run at higher rpm but the 6k redline prob keeps it bullet proof and closer to the power band.

Not that I care much, but testing the Ninja 900 at redline for 24 hours seem like a bit of a "stretch" and I would check the facts on that statement....Maybe true but I doubt it really happened.....Regards and ride safe

olegoat345
04-09-2019, 10:43 PM
Unless you hold it against the rev limiter a long time on every shift, I doubt if it'll hurt anything. I hit mine sometimes, I never worry about it.

Heatnbeat
04-10-2019, 06:41 AM
I played with old Brit sports cars when I was younger. Those tachs had a yellow line and a red line. You could run up to yellow continuously, up to red for a short time.

jm21ddd15
04-10-2019, 08:29 AM
Not that I care much, but testing the Ninja 900 at redline for 24 hours seem like a bit of a "stretch" and I would check the facts on that statement....Maybe true but I doubt it really happened.....Regards and ride safe

Does seem like a stretch. How many tanks of gas would that require? Was it on a Dyno? What was the purpose of the test? And what did they do with the bike or motor after the test? I would never buy a motor that had been on a 24 hr redline test. JMO

JWExperience
04-10-2019, 08:15 PM
Does seem like a stretch. How many tanks of gas would that require? Was it on a Dyno? What was the purpose of the test? And what did they do with the bike or motor after the test? I would never buy a motor that had been on a 24 hr redline test. JMO

Seriously? Manufacturers do torture tests like this for “bragging rights,” testing and sales. In all the infinite wisdom of the google I can’t find the GPz900R test but I recall a great YouTube series on the ford eco boost engine they use in the f150 doing about four different types of torture tests to the same engine. I think they put 100,000 miles on it. Kia tests its engines for 300+hours at full load and above redline for short periods. I’m not talking about joe dirt chocking the front wheel and pinning the throttle on a production bike for a full day. The point is, put oil in the damn bike, do some periodic maintenance and run it.
https://youtu.be/GNPB3RtHN2M this is the link for the Kia testing video, it’s two minutes. If it doesn’t work, search Kia engine test in YouTube. It’s the first video.
https://youtu.be/_jCmu6qJXX4 ford link, this video is more in depth and better because I like Ford and Mike Rowe.

unsub
04-11-2019, 11:12 AM
I guess I'll revert to what I told fellow pilots about the CH-53E helicopter:
Yes, it can lift 28,000 pounds.

C'mon we might be wing owners but none of us are that heavy...are we? ;)

I don't think the test motors are installed on production models. They're run only in test environments. All kinds of other data is pulled down from them as well. On that note however, as the OP indicates he runs the sh$#% out of his so where does that leave the next guy when/if he sells it? Buyer beware I guess.

2wheelsforme
04-11-2019, 11:47 AM
It will be purchased cheap because it will be worn out with high mileage and with all kinds of scratches and scuffs. Resell is unimportant.

Ewreck
04-11-2019, 01:40 PM
It’s YOUR bike. Ride it any way you like.

VStarRider
04-11-2019, 05:52 PM
Seriously? Manufacturers do torture tests like this for “bragging rights,” testing and sales. In all the infinite wisdom of the google I can’t find the GPz900R test but I recall a great YouTube series on the ford eco boost engine they use in the f150 doing about four different types of torture tests to the same engine. I think they put 100,000 miles on it. Kia tests its engines for 300+hours at full load and above redline for short periods. I’m not talking about joe dirt chocking the front wheel and pinning the throttle on a production bike for a full day. The point is, put oil in the damn bike, do some periodic maintenance and run it.
https://youtu.be/GNPB3RtHN2M this is the link for the Kia testing video, it’s two minutes. If it doesn’t work, search Kia engine test in YouTube. It’s the first video.
https://youtu.be/_jCmu6qJXX4 ford link, this video is more in depth and better because I like Ford and Mike Rowe.

Ok, good, glad someone else thinks this way too. Maybe it is an upstate NY thing.

We get obsessed with creating the perfect engine operation profile for our bikes. I think it appeals to our engineering/perfectionist urges. What types of oils, warm up regimens, number of milliseconds at redline, and so on.

What is the point? Are we gonna keep these bikes until they have 250,000+ miles on them? If so, great! If not, all you are doing is extending the life of an engine which will likely never get the opportunity to be tapped into because the bike be long gone by then.

As JW says, change the oil once in awhile, follow the manufacturer's recommendations, and enjoy.

If you exist to gain satisfaction and pride from neurotically maintaining your vehicles, enjoy that also!

-----

As for engine longevity tests, I believe them. Not sure if they really tell us anything, though. I remember the 1948 Tucker (also a flat motor) was run around a track at WOT for 5,000 miles at the Indianapolis Speedway in the testing process. And that was in 1948!! I think Opas was there...

STRaider
04-11-2019, 07:01 PM
Do you drive your cars the same way? If not, why not? I don't get the mentality that if you are not going to keep the bike for 250,000 miles, be as rough on it as you can. Nobody buys an f6b so you can be the fastest bike on the road, because you are not. Why drive it like that? Why not get the fastest bike on the road if that is the goal? It's like buying a harley and paying for stage 4 engine work. You are trying to make it something it's not. I've never heard anyone say they chose the goldwing (or f6b) because hitting the rev limiter doesn't hurt it. What I have heard it is they chose the goldwing because of the smooth ride, comfort, ability, versatility, etc. Sounds like some here need to be on a hayabusa forum.

jm21ddd15
04-11-2019, 09:27 PM
I don't think the test motors are installed on production models. They're run only in test environments. All kinds of other data is pulled down from them as well. On that note however, as the OP indicates he runs the sh$#% out of his so where does that leave the next guy when/if he sells it? Buyer beware I guess.[/QUOTE]

Correct. They test the motors, then they throw them away.

2wheelsforme
04-12-2019, 04:45 AM
Do you drive your cars the same way? If not, why not? I don't get the mentality that if you are not going to keep the bike for 250,000 miles, be as rough on it as you can. Nobody buys an f6b so you can be the fastest bike on the road, because you are not. Why drive it like that? Why not get the fastest bike on the road if that is the goal? It's like buying a harley and paying for stage 4 engine work. You are trying to make it something it's not. I've never heard anyone say they chose the goldwing (or f6b) because hitting the rev limiter doesn't hurt it. What I have heard it is they chose the goldwing because of the smooth ride, comfort, ability, versatility, etc. Sounds like some here need to be on a hayabusa forum.

No I don't baby my cars either but they are automatics and for transportation where the bike is mostly for fun! Besides who ever said "be rough on it as you can"? Who ever said "be the fastest bike on the road"? You just make this stuff up? I'm too fat to ride a hayabusa but I do like to go above 4500 RPMs.

STRaider
04-12-2019, 07:30 AM
No I don't baby my cars either but they are automatics and for transportation where the bike is mostly for fun! Besides who ever said "be rough on it as you can"? Who ever said "be the fastest bike on the road"? You just make this stuff up? I'm too fat to ride a hayabusa but I do like to go above 4500 RPMs.
Riding around trying to hit the rev limiter on a touring bike doesn't sound that fun, or much like a great idea. I ride plenty fast and don't hit the rev limiter. Sounds like you would ride a hyabusa but it wouldn't be a good fit, so you ride as if the f6b were a hyabusa, which would explain the riding style. Most choose the f6b to ride as an f6b. To each his own. Be safe.

2wheelsforme
04-12-2019, 07:49 AM
Riding around trying to hit the rev limiter on a touring bike doesn't sound that fun, or much like a great idea. I ride plenty fast and don't hit the rev limiter. Sounds like you would ride a hyabusa but it wouldn't be a good fit, so you ride as if the f6b were a hyabusa, which would explain the riding style. Most choose the f6b to ride as an f6b. To each his own. Be safe.

Once again you fabricate a sentence! "Riding around trying to hit the rev limiter" Judgemental a bit don't ya think. I think you might benefit if you go back and read all the post.

STRaider
04-12-2019, 08:01 AM
Once again you fabricate a sentence! "Riding around trying to hit the rev limiter" Judgemental a bit don't ya think. I think you might benefit if you go back and read all the post.

No more judgemental than this statement: "If you exist to gain satisfaction and pride from neurotically maintaining your vehicles, enjoy that also!"

My post you responded to wasn't aimed at you specifically, that's why I didn't quote you. I did pull the mileage comment from your post, but was not talking specifically about you, more to the general discussion.

F6Dave
04-12-2019, 08:34 AM
These engines are tuned very mildly and have low redlines. My 1986 Concours had a 10,500 RPM redline, and many sport bikes are far higher than that.

Knowing Honda, they left plenty of cushion when they set the RPM limits. Being a 2 valve engine with mild cam timing that favors the low end, I suspect that without a limiter, power would drop off noticeably before any damage would occur.

2wheelsforme
04-12-2019, 10:18 AM
I do agree with those thoughts F6Dave. It is exelerating to go through the gears with gusto with almost any bike, these F6Bs do it well. Of course if you want to poke along and smell the roses this bike does that well also. I would never suggest you should just get a scooter.

Sorcerer
04-12-2019, 02:29 PM
I do agree with those thoughts F6Dave. It is exelerating to go through the gears with gusto with almost any bike, these F6Bs do it well. Of course if you want to poke along and smell the roses this bike does that well also. I would never suggest you should just get a scooter.

The F6B can ware different clothing depending on one’s mood. That is what I really appreciate. When it’s time to sight see, it does very well. When it’s time to push ours and /or the bikes limits, you may just find both. Hopefully not at the same time. I’ve been asked, told, that I should have replaced my first F6B with a FJR 1300. I explained the 2 most important reason why I didn’t. #1 it’s way to tall for me #2 I will want to use it to it’s full potential. Meaning it’s speed and cornering ability. I already know how that played out on the B. I ride with people that have the FJRs, and mistakes happen to them also. AT much higher speeds.

STRaider
04-13-2019, 06:20 AM
Here is a good article on the topic of hitting the rev limiter. From the article:
"Longer answer: Redlining is OK, provided you're doing it in a specific sort of way. Banging off the rev limiter is bad, revving the snot out of an unloaded engine is bad, and riding around with the engine at full song for no reason is... well, not bad, but it's not great. Effectively, it's up to you to know the difference between "use" and "abuse."

"That’s a bit different than the person who just sits there with the throttle wound out, either overspeeding the engine and not upshifting, or perhaps is just banging it repeatedly off the rev limiter. One is a quick trip into the forbidden zone, the other is staying for a meal, asking for a wine list, and starting with a salad."https://www.revzilla.com/common-tread/is-it-safe-to-redline-my-engine