PDA

View Full Version : SHOCKED

JAYZSTEALTH/SHIRTS
11-27-2013, 10:56 AM
I got curious how much my black deluxe would have been worth with almost 2000 of add ons which include F4 windshield,LED fogs and Cobra pipes At a few Harley dealerships.well I was stunned. 12000-13000.I know you dont get anything back on options but losing almost 8000 in a year is crazy.Yes I know they are Harley Dealers and hate to deal with metric bikes
Like I said I was curious and have no intention of getting rid of my bike.I Love it and yes even more

jkelley
11-27-2013, 11:03 AM
Yup, I checked KBB and was pretty disappointed as well. Not holding value as I expected but like you, I don't plan on moving any time soon to another brand. All of my Harleys held up value pretty well. However, as you said never get much from add on's on anything.

Scotrod
11-27-2013, 11:07 AM
What did you realistically expect?

Deer Slayer
11-27-2013, 11:58 AM
I got curious how much my black deluxe would have been worth with almost 2000 of add ons which include F4 windshield,LED fogs and Cobra pipes At a few Harley dealerships.well I was stunned. 12000-13000.I know you dont get anything back on options but losing almost 8000 in a year is crazy.Yes I know they are Harley Dealers and hate to deal with metric bikes
Like I said I was curious and have no intention of getting rid of my bike.I Love it and yes even more

A Honda dealer will not do much better. All want to steal your bike then jack it up in price. Tis the way it's done.

1951vbs
11-27-2013, 12:23 PM
I posted this in a discussion about a low Ebay price:

"NADA says $12,800(low)-$16,845(high) for retail. KBB is a little more optimistic at $13,850 trade in and $18,030 retail"

In my experience most/many HD dealers do not put used non-harleys on the floor so they sell them to other dealers or take them to auction.

jkelley
11-27-2013, 12:34 PM

Not a 35 - 40% loss! I would never let mine go that low. But it is what it is.

Scotrod
11-27-2013, 12:59 PM
Not a 35 - 40% loss! I would never let mine go that low. But it is what it is.

Ok, you've told us what you didn't expect,,,, Now tell us what you did expect,,,:icon_biggrin:

motozeke
11-27-2013, 01:20 PM
You might consider a consignment arrangement if you're willing to give the process a few weeks to play out. Will probably do better than you would on a trade, that's if you don't want to do a private sale. I don't particularly enjoy buying and selling on the Craigslist route, for obvious reasons.

4DI2D
11-27-2013, 01:23 PM
It ain't just Harley dealers and they rip off their own customers as well.
I was horrified when I distress sold my '06 Night Train to a Harley dealer. I'm glad I did because it paid for upgrades to my '93 Bronco. (I don't ride my F6B off road or in deep snow.).snowremoval.

bobbyf6b
11-27-2013, 02:30 PM
HDs only hold their value if you don't ride them. At 60k miles I only got $12k for my 07 SG, but it was worth the loss to get the F6B.

I guess my SG was six years old but whatever. I knew the resale value wasn't gonna hold on the Honda but to me it's a long term bike.

If you keep it for many years it will be worth it.

Steve 0080
11-27-2013, 02:37 PM
True that....I have 55K on an Ultra and the value is down from approx. $36K...however it will never be worth less that $10 K..that is the value of H.D. Metric bikes... not so much .batman-smiley.

Add ons = 30% of original cost

F6BPDX
11-27-2013, 05:06 PM
To me, while I am sure it came as a shock, it doesn't actually sound out of line.

#1 - As you said, upgrades in general are worth nothing, when I traded in my 2012 Suzuki C50 I had added a Batwing Fairing ($600) crash bars ($150) saddle bags ($100) Mustang Seat ($550) crashbar chaps ($125). Dealer didn't give a rip because they are personal preference and who knows if the next guy will be willing to pay ANY extra for them.

#2 - Yes, retail on the bike is $21k, however you can get one BRAND NEW for $17,500 as many on this board have shown (myself sort-of included, since mine was technically a demo with 650 miles on it). So if they are going for $17,500 new, then the Dealer is probably going to put it on the floor for $16 and take the first $15k that walks through the door. A $2k profit on a $13k gamble seems fairly reasonable to me.

#3 - I don't think this is actually indicative of what the resale value hold will be. Goldwings seem to lose a pretty decent chunk right away but then sit at that same value for 5-7 years.

bobbyf6b
11-27-2013, 08:19 PM
I stripped as many add ons I could off the SG before the trade. Still have a few left but sold most to friends and on CL. Makes for good spending cash that the better half doesn't know about. :icon_wink:

F6B-RICH
11-28-2013, 10:49 AM
[QUOTE=bobbyf6b;16140]I stripped as many add ons I could

I did the same on my 2 Harleys & the Spyder. People sucked up the add ons on E-bay and I sold the 3 bikes quick & was very very happy with the $$$$$ I got for the 3 bikes :icon_biggrin:

robrm250
11-28-2013, 10:57 AM

I am with you On that one a new car or new motorcycle has always been the most depreciating asset one could buy,you try to buy them at the end of the year when the rebates are greatest but they are still a bad investment.I know that I will probably take a beating when I sell them from an investment point of view but still cheaper than paying a psychiatrist.

1951vbs
11-28-2013, 11:39 AM
I am with you On that one a new car or new motorcycle has always been the most depreciating asset one could buy,you try to buy them at the end of the year when the rebates are greatest but they are still a bad investment.I know that I will probably take a beating when I sell them from an investment point of view but still cheaper than paying a psychiatrist.

Many,many years ago I had a discussion with my Father-in-law regarding the fact that my motorcycle habit cost me quite a bit of money year after year because of depreciation from putting on lots of miles and trading often. He asked if I enjoyed riding and I replied "yes, just about as much as anything I had ever done" to which he replied and put in perspective "I belong to the Country Club and probably spend $6000 a year just to golf. I enjoy it too but at the end of the year you still have something to show for your investment, I don't".

Gumby
11-28-2013, 07:41 PM
Add ons frequently detract from the value. They certainly don't add, especially on a trade. And the Harley dealership does not want your bike on their floor.

My Tundra had poor depreciation right away too, because Toyota was discounting new ones big time. In fact, when my lease was up I bought a one year old one at a good discount.

Since the initial dip they've held their value very well. I'm not worried about the F6B.

And I bought one in Feb long before the prices fell.

Still like writing that check better than any other check I write every month.

unsub
11-28-2013, 08:15 PM
but losing almost 8000 in a year is crazy.

As we have all come to learn from experience there is usually a big discrepancy between trade in value aka KBB Value and real Market value.

db24
11-28-2013, 10:00 PM
But really, there are not many things better than a brand new bike--your first bicycle that was ALL yours; that 125 or 250cc motorcycle that you worked all summer for; the Sportster that didn't have scratches somebody else caused and sounded so cool; other bikes along the way, and now the F6B. Nothing wrong with a used bike or car; but, even at a premium there are few things like a new scoot. An this one is a keeper!

Phantom
11-28-2013, 10:19 PM
The other factor that comes into play is that Riding season for most Dealerships is over, taking in additional stock when sales won't pick up until spring will only tie up their money.

Best time to SELL a bike and get top dollar is between Spring and early Summer
Best time to BUY a bike and get the lowest price is November, December and January

Timing is important.

chipmaker
11-28-2013, 10:34 PM
The other factor that comes into play is that Riding season for most Dealerships is over, taking in additional stock when sales won't pick up until spring will only tie up their money.

Best time to SELL a bike and get top dollar is between Spring and early Summer
Best time to BUY a bike and get the lowest price is November, December and January

Timing is important.

Except in AZ...

Phantom
11-28-2013, 11:05 PM
Except in AZ...

Agreed,

You can add New Mexico, Southern Cal, Southern Florida etc. ......... That's why I stated "most Dealerships"