PDA

View Full Version : Question about madsad

VaBob
04-17-2019, 08:57 AM
Are they a supporting vendor, and why cant we type their name correctly?

RickW
04-17-2019, 09:11 AM
Are they a supporting vendor, and why cant we type their name correctly?

They are not a supporting vendor any more.
We got a major run around from them about their sponsorship of this forum. After contacting them many times about their sponsorship and letting their advertising go far past their contract they were removed.

Joflewbyu2
04-17-2019, 10:20 AM
They are not made out of polycarbonate. Would you really want an acrylic windshield with steel adjusting brackets in front of you? Stick with the OEM Tall with Vent, National Cycles or Klock Werks which are made out of Polycarbonate.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HlEfJFDWXpM#

53driver
04-17-2019, 08:39 PM
My Mad$tad took a 2" bearing flung up from a truck tire on her maiden voyage.
Left a half moon indent on the outer shield.
Whatever the Mad$tad is made of, it works.
My experience, YMMV.
Cheers,
Steve

Rickc
04-18-2019, 07:08 AM
FYI, the canopy of the F/A-18 Hornet supersonic combat jet is made of cast acrylic. If acrylic is good enough for a military fighter jet we feel it is good enough for your motorcycle!

Joflewbyu2
04-18-2019, 07:56 AM
FYI, the canopy of the F/A-18 Hornet supersonic combat jet is made of cast acrylic. If acrylic is good enough for a military fighter jet we feel it is good enough for your motorcycle!

It more extreme situations when strength is needed, polycarbonate is used. Read the below link for a better understanding of the materials used in jet fighter canopies.

https://aviation.stackexchange.com/questions/21802/what-kind-of-materials-is-being-used-for-fighter-jets-glass-shields

jmdaniel
04-18-2019, 08:14 AM
So is that why their name is on a banned words list?

Because they are uglier than :bsII:?

That's my guess.

Rickc
04-18-2019, 08:14 AM
I guess My B fits into the less fast aircraft category having a single layer of acrylic.

It more extreme situations when strength is needed, polycarbonate is used. Read the below link for a better understanding of the materials used in jet fighter canopies.

https://aviation.stackexchange.com/questions/21802/what-kind-of-materials-is-being-used-for-fighter-jets-glass-shields

tenxxx
04-18-2019, 08:25 AM
Ive had some big stones bounce off my Mad steed and no breakage.
When I wrecked a bike 3 years ago and went flying over the front, my right toe hit the wind shield and broke it.
That was a hit from behind so it don't count.
My toe nail (shield) came off a week later.

Rickc
04-18-2019, 08:29 AM
Ive had some big stones bounce off my Mad steed and no breakage.
When I wrecked a bike 3 years ago and went flying over the front, my right toe hit the wind shield and broke it.
That was a hit from behind so it don't count.
My toe nail (shield) came off a week later.

did you break the wind shield or your toe?

jm21ddd15
04-18-2019, 08:29 AM
They are not made out of polycarbonate. Would you really want an acrylic windshield with steel adjusting brackets in front of you? Stick with the OEM Tall with Vent, National Cycles or Klock Werks which are made out of Polycarbonate.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HlEfJFDWXpM#

Not many people ride cycles, worrying about windshields. In a crash with a cager, we are going to lose. If we were that scared, we wouldn't be on bikes. JMO

rdbonds
04-18-2019, 08:32 AM
I've gotten quite used to the looks of mine, but then again, I'm more about function than looks (which is probably why I'm okay with my beads on my seat). :)

While I understand that they're not a sponsor of the site, they do make a great product. I'll happily to refer to them by synonyms to avoid making anyone on the site upset, though. That said, I don't think the tire and oil companies we discuss with such vigor are sponsors either...and we use their names. :)

Rickc
04-18-2019, 08:37 AM
I've gotten quite used to the looks of mine, but then again, I'm more about function than looks (which is probably why I'm okay with my beads on my seat). :)

While I understand that they're not a sponsor of the site, they do make a great product. I'll happily to refer to them by synonyms to avoid making anyone on the site upset, though. That said, I don't think the tire and oil companies we discuss with such vigor are sponsors either...and we use their names. :)

Agree 100%

DaWadd
04-18-2019, 08:47 AM

Exactly.

Ewreck
04-18-2019, 09:50 AM
Que the Top Gun soundtrack.

tenxxx
04-18-2019, 10:26 AM
did you break the wind shield or your toe?
both!

rdbonds
04-18-2019, 12:06 PM
VaBob - Happy to help you with any info I might have on deciding on height. It does depend on which saddle you're using, your height, inseam (which gives an idea of the ratio of your upper body length) and of course your personal preference on where the shield lives in your field of view.

I think I mentioned it in another thread on these shields here in the site, but I'm on the stock saddle (with a beaded cover), am 6'1" and 32 inch inseam...so I'm a bit long in the torso. That said, the manufacturer site recommended the 15" shield for 6'1" to 6'3", and that's what I bought. Works great. At full up, there's almost no wind at all. Full down, it's breezy but no buffeting.

Cheers!

rdbonds
04-18-2019, 12:08 PM
Is the Top Gun soundtrack needed since tenxxx crashed his canopy like 'Goose? :D

Ewreck
04-18-2019, 12:33 PM
Is the Top Gun soundtrack needed since tenxxx crashed his canopy like 'Goose? :D
All the F18 talk got me exited even though technically Maverick and Goose were in an F14. F6B to the danger zone?

ReserveBum
04-18-2019, 01:27 PM

Spot on. I also have that shield and its been great. I have the 11" light tint (5'10" - 30" inseam). I have it adjusted up all the way and angled mostly straight up. I have a Corbin so I sit a little lower than stock but usually ride with beads or airhawk so probably a wash. The top of the screen aligns with mid nose so I see mostly over the top, otherwise the screen is light enough for good viewing. I ride with a full face but leave the visor open and i get a very gentle airflow around my face even at highway speeds. Functional Beauty.

Ewreck
04-18-2019, 07:56 PM
Spot on. I also have that shield and its been great. I have the 11" light tint (5'10" - 30" inseam). I have it adjusted up all the way and angled mostly straight up. I have a Corbin so I sit a little lower than stock but usually ride with beads or airhawk so probably a wash. The top of the screen aligns with mid nose so I see mostly over the top, otherwise the screen is light enough for good viewing. I ride with a full face but leave the visor open and i get a very gentle airflow around my face even at highway speeds. Functional Beauty.
I just noticed your avatar is a Freewing F4. Do you fly RC? I just got back into it after a 10 year hiatus. Picked up a 90mm Venom but it will stay in the shop after I build it until I get the rust off. Not sure how an EDF will do at 5000’ but it was to cool to pass up.

Vandal
04-18-2019, 08:45 PM
I love my Angry Stad, switched from the 15" to the 11" still no buffeting, great folks to deal with.

2wheelsforme
04-18-2019, 09:22 PM
The guide says I should use a 17, got one and it was too tall, did a return/swap and got a 13, it was perfect. Put a taller seat and helibars so ordered a 15 and now have both. At 6'2 I look over it a good bit but the air flow it still well over my head, even the 13 still works good. I can still duck down behind it if I have to run in the rain without my full face. Being able to replace or add another size is low cost after you have the base shield. Plus with the base dark and the taller clear it still looks good and really tall shields don't in my opinion. After many miles it is holding up well, no scratches or discoloring.

ReserveBum
04-19-2019, 06:01 AM
I just noticed your avatar is a Freewing F4. Do you fly RC? I just got back into it after a 10 year hiatus. Picked up a 90mm Venom but it will stay in the shop after I build it until I get the rust off. Not sure how an EDF will do at 5000’ but it was to cool to pass up.

Not into the RC, it was the best picture of an F4 I could find.

Broken Hand
04-19-2019, 08:13 AM
I had a Mad sad on my super tenere and now my F6B. No buffeting. Love it.

RuneRider66
04-19-2019, 08:31 AM
MadSad is ugly. I have 60k miles on 3 different F6Bs. I put the 11 inch Dark Tint Baggershield on all three. I slid it all the way up in the mounting holes...so its probably more like a 12 inch. I am 5'10 with a 34 inseam. Riding the stock seat. No buffeting whatsoever. Not even at 120 mph. Its a thick windsheild. The company also sent me a free replacement after the last one I ordered showed up with the box chewed up and a slight scratch on one extreme edge. Told me to keep that one and they would put a new one in the mail. 3 days later I had a new one on the doorstep. A great product and a great business model. I will always be loyal to that kind of business.

Ewreck
04-19-2019, 08:44 AM
Not into the RC, it was the best picture of an F4 I could find.
Top 5 jets of all time.

edgeman55
04-19-2019, 05:10 PM

That 90mm will fly fine at 5000ft elevation.I have been flying RC for 40 years mostly large scale aerobatic planes with gas engines.Last year I got into EDF's and I love it.I have a Freewing 90mm Stinger,80mm Avanti and a 70mm Yak.All fly well at my 4800 ft elevation.The Avanti is a great first EDF jet-almost flys itself.Only drawback is the 3.5 minute flight times.Just remember at your elevation your sink rate is high and with a EDF you must fly it to the ground.
As far as the Madsad I am 6'4" with a 32inch inseam on the stock seat.I have the 15" screen and set to the middle I just look over the top and it works GREAT.Best windscreen I have been behind in 50 years of riding.

Ewreck
04-19-2019, 07:02 PM
That 90mm will fly fine at 5000ft elevation.I have been flying RC for 40 years mostly large scale aerobatic planes with gas engines.Last year I got into EDF's and I love it.I have a Freewing 90mm Stinger,80mm Avanti and a 70mm Yak.All fly well at my 4800 ft elevation.The Avanti is a great first EDF jet-almost flys itself.Only drawback is the 3.5 minute flight times.Just remember at your elevation your sink rate is high and with a EDF you must fly it to the ground.
As far as the Madsad I am 6'4" with a 32inch inseam on the stock seat.I have the 15" screen and set to the middle I just look over the top and it works GREAT.Best windscreen I have been behind in 50 years of riding.
Thanks for the info. I can already tell these planes are going to cut into my firearm purchases.

JWExperience
04-20-2019, 12:42 AM
Top 5 jets of all time.

you mean real jets or RC?

Ewreck
04-20-2019, 09:06 AM
you mean real jets or RC?
Real

2wheelsforme
04-20-2019, 09:11 AM
Boy did this thread get hijacked!

Ewreck
04-20-2019, 09:35 AM
Boy did this thread get hijacked!
Guilty as charged.

Ewreck
04-20-2019, 09:39 AM
In my defense, I did not start comparing a windshield on my bike to an F18 canopy.:cool:

53driver
04-20-2019, 06:41 PM
F4: amazing aircraft. Been to Mach 2+ in it a few times.
Mad$tad: amazing wind screen. Been well past 120mph a few times.

After your seat is sorted, THEN look at a windscreen. Period.
After your aircraft are sorted, pick one that is most mission capable. Period.

Cheers,
Steve

BuzzzPhotos
04-20-2019, 10:40 PM
Knew I was going to get wet one evening on a short ride but didn't think about hail. Was on a country road when it hit. My angrystad held up fine. I got a few bruises & a bloody lip.

valkmc
04-21-2019, 07:22 AM
MadSad is ugly. I have 60k miles on 3 different F6Bs. I put the 11 inch Dark Tint Baggershield on all three. I slid it all the way up in the mounting holes...so its probably more like a 12 inch. I am 5'10 with a 34 inseam. Riding the stock seat. No buffeting whatsoever. Not even at 120 mph. Its a thick windsheild. The company also sent me a free replacement after the last one I ordered showed up with the box chewed up and a slight scratch on one extreme edge. Told me to keep that one and they would put a new one in the mail. 3 days later I had a new one on the doorstep. A great product and a great business model. I will always be loyal to that kind of business.
I agree, my 6 has the Baggershield with the flip up extension. Love it. Live in Florida and the weather can change quickly. After 3 years and many objects bouncing off it it still looks good!