PDA

View Full Version : Lights on for safety

zeus661
04-23-2019, 06:29 AM
We just had a car/motorcycle crash close by where the car pulled out in front of the motorcycle. Every time I read about this o think about adding more lights to my B. My fog lights are always on and might start riding with the brights on. Anyone do that? Or any easy way to add more lights? I know the law doesn’t allow it but I’d rather be seen.

JackB
04-23-2019, 07:48 AM
I ride with my LED bright lights on with the fog lights.

Az Wingrider
04-23-2019, 08:36 AM
I also think more lights on the bike make it safer. The visibility of our bikes is definitely a factor in a large number of the bike versus car collisions. In addition to the headlights which are LEDs, the fog lights in the lower fairing and the marker lights in the mirrors I have some Clearwater Darlas mounted on brackets below the mirrors. Clearwater is the only company I am aware of that makes LEDs with a rheostat. With the rheostat turned all the way down the lights are at 20% brightness which is very visible but does not blind on coming drivers. I also have Hyperlight LED brake lights which flash 5 times and then stay on bright when I apply the brakes.

With the amount of lights I have I don't think saying they didn't see me is viable argument. I still ride very defensively and act like I think all the cagers are out to get me..

Ride safe
Az wingrider

53driver
04-23-2019, 08:49 AM
Isleen's "standard" view from a cage.
That's a Whelen white LED bar attached to the fork plastic shroud and it turns with the forks.
Everything else is SoCal LED lighting.
Her high beams have a Kisan modulator that I'll run when I'm NOT in traffic, but rather on long country roads so people coming the other way who think they can safely pass think twice and just wait.
Running the modulator in dense traffic just really irritates people - that's why the modulator is not on my low beams.

BigMac
04-23-2019, 09:23 AM
I ride with all my lights on. I have the modulating headlights on my high beams. I don't care if I piss people off with them I know they have saved me many times. I live in SoCal so there are many bad drivers here. I also have a flashing LED brake light I put on and it stays on all the time. I can also change the pattern or have it stay on or stay off if I like. I know it works because a lot of the time I notice that some cars stay back farther from me at stop lights or back off while tail gating. Here is the link if your interested. I have also converted all my lights to LEDs as well. https://www.speedtechlights.com/LED-Grille-Surface-Mount-Lights

Ride safe everyone.

53driver
04-23-2019, 10:03 AM
I ride with all my lights on. I have the modulating headlights on my high beams. I don't care if I piss people off with them I know they have saved me many times. I live in SoCal so there are many bad drivers here. I also have a flashing LED brake light I put on and it stays on all the time. I can also change the pattern or have it stay on or stay off if I like. I know it works because a lot of the time I notice that some cars stay back farther from me at stop lights or back off while tail gating. Here is the link if your interested. I have also converted all my lights to LEDs as well. https://www.speedtechlights.com/LED-Grille-Surface-Mount-Lights

Ride safe everyone.

If I rode in SoCal - I'd probably have my modulators on too!

Rickc
04-23-2019, 10:13 AM
What brand head light modulator are you all using and is the install fairly easy?

53driver
04-23-2019, 10:16 AM
What brand head light modulator are you all using and is the install fairly easy?

Mine is the Kisan.
Here is the link with installation video. Yes, pretty easy unless you have XXXL hands.
Make sure you get the correct modulator for LEDs vs. normal.
The search engine on their website is a bit quirky - I just called them, told them what I had and what I wanted.
https://kisantech.com/pathblazer.html

Cheers,
Steve

Rickc
04-23-2019, 10:56 AM
Thanks Steve.

53driver
04-23-2019, 01:14 PM
Thanks Steve.

My pleasure!

olegoat345
04-23-2019, 01:56 PM
Modulating LED fog lights, headlight lo beam, white LEDs in my turn signals. Very similar to 53 rider.
On the rear, flashing brake lights (all of them), the Kury surround LED light trim set, added small but very bright,LED brake light. Every time I apply the brakes, they all flash 5 times then solid.
When someone would pull too close to my rear, I used to slowly turn my head & give them "the look." Not anymore, there's too many nut cases caring a gun. Lots of road rage out there these days.

grendl
04-23-2019, 04:19 PM
Isleen's "standard" view from a cage.
That's a Whelen white LED bar attached to the fork plastic shroud and it turns with the forks.
Everything else is SoCal LED lighting.
Her high beams have a Kisan modulator that I'll run when I'm NOT in traffic, but rather on long country roads so people coming the other way who think they can safely pass think twice and just wait.
Running the modulator in dense traffic just really irritates people - that's why the modulator is not on my low beams.
53 driver,that is a golden idea. I ride the mountains sometime late in the day and it's dark. I recognised my problem was I cant see around the turns because my headlight are not moving with the forks. On the platics over the fender is where you mounted those ? Genius !

53driver
04-23-2019, 04:30 PM
53 driver,that is a golden idea. I ride the mountains sometime late in the day and it's dark. I recognised my problem was I cant see around the turns because my headlight are not moving with the forks. On the platics over the fender is where you mounted those ? Genius !

Not exactly...
There is a plastic "half-moon" mounted below the triple tree, forward of the forks. It will not support anything heavier than a small light bar.
I'll get a pic if you want.
Cheers,
Steve

53driver
04-23-2019, 04:44 PM
Here's a couple pics....lol.
Seems I've neglected proper cleaning under there.....
Hope this helps.
Steve

Link to the light itself - get the Wide Angle one!!!!
Part number WIONW
https://www.whelen.com/auto/product?head_id=12&cat_id=74&prod_id=490

And as long as we're at it....here is the link to the Whelen light I put where the rear reflector was, and then moved that reflector under the license plate.
Part # RSR03ZCR
https://www.whelen.com/auto/product.php?head_id=12&cat_id=74&prod_id=145