PDA

View Full Version : Center stand opinions?

Gofasttoys
05-06-2019, 02:43 PM
What’s up gentlemen, just went to jack up my bike and I see that’s not happening lol
So who makes a very basic one? I don’t want to lose any ground clearance if possible.
I’m not looking for a ez lift or any just the smallest basic. I’ll muscle it on and off. And
Also I ordered a skid plate hope it don’t need to be modified. I just want to get the wheel
off the ground for cleaning.

53driver
05-06-2019, 02:47 PM
I guess you didn't get the "Deluxe"? Lol.
Stock/OEM center stands can be had for minimal $$ at a trike conversion place.
Lots of forumites have done this to their Standards.
Cheers,
Steve

unsub
05-06-2019, 03:40 PM
What’s up gentlemen, just went to jack up my bike and I see that’s not happening lol
So who makes a very basic one? I don’t want to lose any ground clearance if possible.
I’m not looking for a ez lift or any just the smallest basic. I’ll muscle it on and off. And
Also I ordered a skid plate hope it don’t need to be modified. I just want to get the wheel
off the ground for cleaning.

I'd suggest to go with the OEM center stand. It won't break the bank and it's designed for your 840 lb bike.

Work smarter, not harder.:p

VStarRider
05-06-2019, 06:49 PM
I'd suggest to go with the OEM center stand. It won't break the bank and it's designed for your 840 lb bike.

Work smarter, not harder.:p

Agreed. I put one on myself, spent $140 for the kit at the dealer because I could not find a decent one on Ebay with all of the parts. Fairly easy install, the springs were a PITA. Ended up using nickels in between the spring coils to stretch them enough to allow the hooks to grab.

Joflewbyu2
05-06-2019, 09:21 PM
Makes maintenance much easier as well as working on the bike. Highly recommended.

olegoat345
05-06-2019, 10:09 PM
Yep, that's the way to go...………….OEM that is.

tenxxx
05-07-2019, 08:32 AM
There was one on my standard when I bought it. Thanks to PO. Think I feel the thing bounce sometimes.
If I wearing tennis shoes, it hurts to get it up on the stand, but glad its there.

olegoat345
05-07-2019, 09:06 AM
Some folks say shorten it by, 1/2" some say 3/4" so I shortened mine by 5/8", that made it much, much easier to get on the C. stand......BUT..... the R. tire is just barely touching the ground, so I can't turn it. If you're going to do it I suggest 1/2" would do the trick. Pay the price for a top notch welder to weld the feet back on. My guy did a great job. Just sayin'

53driver
05-07-2019, 10:46 AM
FWIW: I still have yet to drag the OEM center stand whilst cornering.
My springs are in great shape so it doesn't droop at all.

Gofasttoys
05-08-2019, 09:26 AM
Bought everything from partzilla for like 130. They seem to be on back order everywhere and no good used ones to be had.

Frye
05-08-2019, 01:32 PM
Don't see how you can get by without one. With the valve stems pointed towards the low side when on the side stand even checking rear tire pressure is a PIA without one.

Skromfols
08-20-2019, 05:39 PM
Will the side stand interfere with a center stand? I want to add a center stand but want to retain the side stand. Is that doable ?

Az Wingrider
08-20-2019, 06:32 PM
The center stand will not interfere with the side stand. The Deluxe comes with both.

MRB68
08-21-2019, 06:25 AM
I hate to admit this but I still can't get my bike on the center stand. Is it because when the bike is new the spring is tough? or yes I might just be a wimp. I have to drive it onto a 2x4 then do it. I grab the passenger rail and the handlebar and pull up, tried pulling back and no dice. I watched all the videos I could find and it's gotta be more science than strength?

53driver
08-21-2019, 07:43 AM
I hate to admit this but I still can't get my bike on the center stand. Is it because when the bike is new the spring is tough? or yes I might just be a wimp. I have to drive it onto a 2x4 then do it. I grab the passenger rail and the handlebar and pull up, tried pulling back and no dice. I watched all the videos I could find and it's gotta be more science than strength?

Hmm. Since I have the Smuggler seat, I do not have the grab rails anymore and so I have to reach lower, using the saddlebag guard.
I use a rocking motion for a few cycles then use my thighs and 190lbs of direct pressure to get her up.
I don't mean to be sarcastic, but there are two 'mistakes' I've personally witnessed watching GoldWing Owners put their bike on the center stand:
1. The bike was in gear
2. The person 'helping' them on the right side of the bike was holding the front brake - "for safety."

Best of luck!
Steve

jmdaniel
08-21-2019, 08:00 AM

It's more of a coordination thing than either science or strength, IMO. (And I'm not saying you are uncoordinated.) You have to pull up on the handle at the same time you are pushing down with your foot, and shortly after getting the back wheel off the ground, pull the handle slightly to the rear. Once the bike gets to a certain point, the momentum will carry it to the resting place. The whole concept isn't bike specific, so grab a buddy that has a bike with a center stand, and have he/she demonstrate and help you out.

shortleg0521
08-21-2019, 09:38 AM
I am 145 and find it is style rather than strength.
Stand on it and lift and it's up. Have to be level.

MRB68
08-21-2019, 10:54 AM
cool thanks guys. I'll have to try it in neutral and maybe grabbing it lower. Nobody around me has a center stand for advice.

Skromfols
08-21-2019, 11:16 AM
cool thanks guys. I'll have to try it in neutral and maybe grabbing it lower. Nobody around me has a center stand for advice.
While I'm a new F6B owner I've already found that there are relatively few F6B owners and absolutely none in my area, and the Honda dealers closest to me (about an hours ride from me) all claim little to no knowledge about these bikes. Maybe because not enough of them were sold?

rdbonds
08-21-2019, 01:04 PM
MRB68 - Like some others have already said, the key is putting weight firmly on the footrest of the center stand. Your weight is your best friend in this case. :)

I'd humbly recommend starting with the bike on the sidestand...lift her up off the sidestand while stepping down a bit on the center stand. You'll feel it when the feet touch, and can even rock it back and forth a little to ensure both feet are touching (i.e. she's straight/vertical). Then simply step up with your full weight on that one little step on the center stand, and pull up a bit on the grab rail.

Kkromfols - I'm a little surprised your dealer would not have much knowledge of the F6b since they're essentially the same GL1800 built and sold for 15 years (minus the trunk, air ride and reverse). The GLs are pretty reliable, so I have no doubt they don't see them "often" for repairs...but I'd still expect them to be quite familiar with the model line. Just my 2 cents.

2wheelsforme
08-21-2019, 01:14 PM
The trick I learned to helping getting the bike onto the center stand is rather than trying to lift the bike I just focus on pushing the stand and the bike away from each other.

SeaSteve
08-21-2019, 02:06 PM
Getting back to thew original post, I use Cheapcycleparts.com to price check and order OEM parts. I totaled up all the parts from the center stand of the "2016 F6B "Deluxe" Stand" exploded view below to get $123 total. Would this be all I would need for my F6B?

Switchmonkey
08-21-2019, 09:34 PM
I guess you didn't get the "Deluxe"? Lol.
Stock/OEM center stands can be had for minimal $$ at a trike conversion place.
Lots of forumites have done this to their Standards.
Cheers,
Steve

I wonder where these ‘trike conversion’ places are...none up my way.

I could use a spare rear wheel...

JackB
08-22-2019, 07:35 AM
I wonder where these ‘trike conversion’ places are...none up my way.

I could use a spare rear wheel...
You could ask your Honda dealer. If they don't do conversion's they will know who does.

jmdaniel
08-22-2019, 09:09 AM
Getting back to thew original post, I use Cheapcycleparts.com to price check and order OEM parts. I totaled up all the parts from the center stand of the "2016 F6B "Deluxe" Stand" exploded view below to get $123 total. Would this be all I would need for my F6B?

I'll sell you #3 for 50% of their price, ($45), just needs black paint on two spots. Pick up in Leander.

https://i.imgur.com/WYVbRD2l.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/f8or4JJl.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/2lwVZrql.jpg

rdbonds
08-22-2019, 09:16 AM
Switchmonkey - Ebay has tons of parts, if you're willing to risk doing business there. When I bought my F6b from Honda of Russellville (Arkansas) in 2014, IIRC they do tons of trikes. I dunno if they keep those take-off parts or sell them in bulk to someone else, but I bet they could put you onto a source.

SeaSteve
08-22-2019, 09:19 AM
I'll sell you #3 for 50% of their price, ($45), just needs black paint on two spots. Pick up in Leander.
DONE! Sometime next week I'll send you a PM to get a meeting place. I'm headed to Big Bend this weekend but could be convinced to do Lime Creek Rd next weekend.

53driver
08-22-2019, 09:32 AM

DONE! Sometime next week I'll send you a PM to get a meeting place. I'm headed to Big Bend this weekend but could be convinced to do Lime Creek Rd next weekend.

Ladies & gentlemen,
THIS IS EXACTLY WHY I LOVE MODERATING THIS FORUM!
Y'all rock!
Steve

jmdaniel
08-22-2019, 09:54 AM

Sounds good.

tenxxx
08-22-2019, 10:53 AM
Mine is easier if I pull straight up on the grab rail. And ware hard soul shoes.
Make sure the seat bolts are good and snug on the left side.

bsawyer
09-22-2019, 07:18 PM
Most people that have issues do not know that both feet must be touching the ground. So, stand bike up straight, push stand down till you feel feet hit the ground, rock side to side to make sure BOTH feet are on the ground, straighten your arms that are holding the rail and bar, stand up! Both of the stands feet must be on ground... you are not lifting, you are standing up on the stand.
I just ordered all the parts brand new from Wingstuff for 135