PDA

View Full Version : Question for 1/2 and 3/4 helmet guys.

VaBob
05-11-2019, 04:05 PM
Whats your preferred method while wearing glasses.

Im interested in looking at either a half or 3/4 helmet for my commute and around town. At the moment I have a middle of the road modular that does ok, but in slower speeds its not great. But other unknown for me is that I wear glasses. I have never had anything but a full face/modular so its never been a thought to consider. But do I need padded riding glasses? Aviators *to add the cool factor also*? Goggles?

Just wondering what other people are doing is all. Looking for ideas.

2wheelsforme
05-11-2019, 04:42 PM
I do not use padded glasses or googles but Z-87 rated glasses in clear or dark. I use a half helmet most of the time and modular if cold, wet or running the interstate.

Verismo
05-11-2019, 05:15 PM
I use a half helmet and padded sunshades during the day and unpadded/regular non prescription clear lenses at night. I might eventually get some padded clear lenses, but between the mad5tad and the F6B fairing, I can almost run without altogether. However, the occasional rock or insect always reminds me that's a bad idea.

Jason

VaBob
05-12-2019, 05:38 AM
So your saying that there isnt much wind that gets behind the glasses while driving? I might still look into prescription padded glasses, but Ive got a few other things I gotta get done first.

Also have a Mad$stad and Baker Wings. (Thanks to those member who sold me these)

2wheelsforme
05-12-2019, 06:24 AM
In my opinion the only thing you get from padded is heat and fogging. I have had a pair of glasses that did not route the wind correctly and cause your eyes to water an quickly discarded but most work just fine. I buy mine from a construction supply house on line. They will be Z-87 rated for anti shatter giving you the proper protection and much less expensive than designated motorcycle glasses. Good ones are less than 20 bucks a pair.

valkmc
05-12-2019, 07:09 AM
I agree with the Z-87 ansi rating! Regular sun glass can shatter easily. You can find cool looking ones in different shades multiple places on line. The shape of the glasses determine how much wind gets in. I have some that seem to block it all and some that block none.

ReserveBum
05-12-2019, 08:47 AM
I use a half helmet and padded sunshades during the day and unpadded/regular non prescription clear lenses at night. I might eventually get some padded clear lenses, but between the mad5tad and the F6B fairing, I can almost run without altogether. However, the occasional rock or insect always reminds me that's a bad idea.

Jason
It is pretty calm behind the Mad5tad. I wear glasses as well and use a combo of a full face or a 3/4. No need for foam or sealing for the glasses. Its calm enough that there is no wind behind the lenses

tenxxx
05-12-2019, 08:55 AM
I have both 3/4, 1/2 helmet and ware prescription glasses. When the sun is rising or just setting it will be in your eyes.
I tilt the helmet down to help shade my eyes and the glasses get in the way.
Make sure the helmet will take a sun shade or shield. Will have snaps across the front.
Looking cool is not an issue since I make anything I wear look good.
Padded glasses or goggles will stick out further and interfere with the positioning of the helmet.
A pull down shade from inside the helmet is too close for glasses.
My 2₡

DaWadd
05-12-2019, 09:04 AM
I wear contacts and Oakley Fuel cells with my half helmet or my 3/4. No wind in my eyes or watering. I have some clear safety glasses for night use.

olegoat345
05-12-2019, 09:48 AM
FYI - FL. has no helmet laws. I wear a helmet in case I crash. I buy the best, highest rated helmet I can afford, my head & brains are worth it. They won't save your life in 100% of crashes...Check webbikeworld.com. ratings
Most new helmets have changed the padding to allow for glasses. Most new full face helmets have red emergency "pulls" on the cheek pads so EMT's can get the helmet off w/o twisting the riders neck.
Germany did a long study on MC crashes & helmets. Helmets do save lives. In 78% of all crashes, the rider does a face plant. I wear a full face helmet to protect my head, brains & face. Most new full face helmets have "pin lock" (inter shield) so it doesn't steam up. If not, crack open one notch / click, steams gone.
Personally, I think everyone should wear a top quality helmet. Should it be a law? In my opinion, NO. If you choose not to wear one, I don't care, it's your life. If you crash & become a vegetable for your family to, feed, wipe your butt & care for, that's on you...…. I'm not looking for a pissin' contest about wearing helmets...…… wear it or not, it's your call.

unsub
05-12-2019, 12:33 PM
Whats your preferred method while wearing glasses.

Im interested in looking at either a half or 3/4 helmet for my commute and around town. At the moment I have a middle of the road modular that does ok, but in slower speeds its not great. But other unknown for me is that I wear glasses. I have never had anything but a full face/modular so its never been a thought to consider. But do I need padded riding glasses? Aviators *to add the cool factor also*? Goggles?

Just wondering what other people are doing is all. Looking for ideas.

I use a modular and a 3/4 depending on my mission. Wearing the 3/4 I've never felt the need to close off the space around the side of the eyes unless it's raining.

Here's a thought for you.. many, if not all Oakley frames support RX lens. If style is important to you check some of their frames out. I don't have any affiliation with Oakley other than I've use their product for years and I'm a huge fan.

Defiant77
05-12-2019, 01:20 PM
I wear the full modular helmet all the time. I went another route and got smaller more flexible frames with the magnetic clip on sunglasses. Work very well and never fog. Wind is not an issue with my windshield.

F6Pilot
05-12-2019, 01:33 PM
I typically run around with a half helmet and pick up polarized bifocal sunglasses in the fishing equipment area at WalMart. They are usually around $20 and wrap around the eyes like my old Oakleys did back in the 80s.

53driver
05-12-2019, 05:56 PM
FYI - FL. has no helmet laws.
Well, not exactly.
If you are under 21 years of age, you must wear a helmet.
If you are over the age of 21 AND you have taken the Basic Rider Course, then you may opt to not wear a helmet.
You also MUST have at least $10,000 medical coverage on your insurance specified on the card.
You also need to tell your insurance company that you are opting to not wear a helmet - premiums will go up about $40 and you will get your special card.
There is fine print in the standard Florida policy NOT covering you if you don't tell them about not wearing a helmet and you are in a mishap while not wearing one.
Cheers,
Steve

JGF6B
05-12-2019, 06:23 PM
My standard configuration is half helmet with prescription safety glasses by Liberty Sport.
I paid for the transition lenses so they're perfect in bright sun or after dark.
They have magnetic wind seals that are perfect for me. They do fog if I wear them under my full faced.
I've switched to contacts when using my full faced (when riding my ninja) but still prefer the half helmet with liberty sport glasses on the B.
There just isn't enough air flow for a full faced on the B, at least not with my Arai.

2wheelsforme
05-12-2019, 06:57 PM
Well, not exactly.
If you are under 21 years of age, you must wear a helmet.
If you are over the age of 21 AND you have taken the Basic Rider Course, then you may opt to not wear a helmet.
You also MUST have at least $10,000 medical coverage on your insurance specified on the card.
You also need to tell your insurance company that you are opting to not wear a helmet - premiums will go up about $40 and you will get your special card.
There is fine print in the standard Florida policy NOT covering you if you don't tell them about not wearing a helmet and you are in a mishap while not wearing one.
Cheers,
Steve

Steve I have looked and read as much as possible. I can find no rule stating that a Basic Rider Course is required to go helmetless. I also have never heard of any requirement of having to notify my insurance company of such action or the possibility of not being covered if I don't do so. Yes I know a BRC is required for new Riders to get a license but that is not always the case.

rdbonds
05-12-2019, 07:47 PM
+1 to folks' comments on the ------- and glasses. I normally wear a 3/4 Shoei and my prescription glasses (no pads) without issue. At times, I'll wear the regular sunglasses for motorcycles with pads if I want full tint. With a lower or less effective shield, I'd stick with the google style.

53driver
05-12-2019, 08:24 PM
Steve I have looked and read as much as possible. I can find no rule stating that a Basic Rider Course is required to go helmetless. I also have never heard of any requirement of having to notify my insurance company of such action or the possibility of not being covered if I don't do so. Yes I know a BRC is required for new Riders to get a license but that is not always the case.

MIke,
I have a call into Florida Highway Safety to clarify - as I have never actually seen the BRC requirement either.

As far as insurance companies go, I guess the "YMMV" applies.
My AllState agent asked me specifically if I was going "helmet less" and when I asked him why, he told me that that was an extra bit of money, and the insurance paperwork automatically assumes you are wearing a helmet. If you are not wearing a helmet, and you are not paying the "extra" premium, with AllState, you are not covered.
Please read your fine print as required.
Cheers,
Steve

f6bcarider
05-13-2019, 10:09 AM
My standard configuration is half helmet with prescription safety glasses by Liberty Sport.
I paid for the transition lenses so they're perfect in bright sun or after dark.
They have magnetic wind seals that are perfect for me. They do fog if I wear them under my full faced.
I've switched to contacts when using my full faced (when riding my ninja) but still prefer the half helmet with liberty sport glasses on the B.
There just isn't enough air flow for a full faced on the B, at least not with my Arai.

I also wear the liberty sport glasses in my prescription and auto tint lens and 3/4 helmet over 100,000 miles. and by the way Walmart carries the glasses

Fingerz
05-13-2019, 08:36 PM
I wear Oakley prescription glasses with a 3/4 during the warmer months and I don’t experience any wind into my eyes. I have a 14 inch Klockwerks and have a sunshade visor that I can pull down if the wind picks up at higher speeds (over 80 mph which is rare for me).

skidz
05-15-2019, 01:42 PM
This is what I wear with glasses or more often, prescription sunglasses, and I love it. It fogs just a tiny bit, but quickly clears up. I have a BaggerShield also.

https://www.cyclegear.com/gear/bilt-route-helmet

F6Dave
05-16-2019, 11:49 AM
I just bought a 3/4 for the same reason. I wanted to be cooler on hot days but still have good protection. I got an HJC IS-33 II. It has a ratcheting face shield that I leave up at slower speeds. It also has a drop down sun shield which is really handy in changing light conditions. It's also a must if you have glasses with photochromic lenses. Those lenses won't darken with the shield down because the plastic blocks the UV that triggers the process.

They're not easy to find, but the Shark Evoline modular helmets let you fold the chin bar all the way back, essentially converting to a 3/4 helmet with removing any parts. I've never seen another one like it.

stevenolts
05-16-2019, 04:11 PM
I wear Wiley X Airrage Sunglasses, Polarized Blue Mirror, Gloss Black
I just bought a new pair via Amazon / My first pair lasted 5 years and I ride almost everyday
They are the best I have used / Polarized / ruber seal needed with contacts

I highly recommend them to anyone.

Stevenolts

stevenolts
05-16-2019, 04:15 PM
What is the safest 3/4 helmet that you can use sunglasses with?
I love the feeling of my face in the wind with the 1/2 helmet / but I don't want to wear the 1/2 helmet not as safe

I have a Schuberth for full modular helmet / I love this when I have to use a full face in rain or extreme cold.

DaWadd
05-17-2019, 09:14 AM
Shoei RJ Platinum 3/4. As safe as can be for a 3/4 and comfy too.

grendl
05-17-2019, 02:10 PM
I typically wear a full face Arai especially for long runs.Last year I bought a Scorpian 3/4 as sometimes it's just too hot. It comes with a full ,below the chin face shield that can be adjusted up or down,an internal flip down shades and a visor that can be swapped with the face shield. The change is easy but I use the face shield in the up position until it rains or whatever Colorado throws that day.. The ratchets are strong enough that it doesnt come down at speed and the internal shade has enough room I can wear shades under it while it's down so your glasses will probably work well behind the shade.

stevenolts
05-17-2019, 04:47 PM
I have the Scorpion EXO-CT2200 it is very nice with the shield down / but not with sun glasses
stevenolts

stevenolts
05-17-2019, 04:48 PM
I would like to find a 3/4 helmet that feels naked like a 1/2 helmet with sunglasses
there must be something like that. I love the feel of the wind but I feel like I am risking my life. I wear all the gear but still have a 1/2 helmet which defeats most of the purpose of the gear.
stevenolts

grendl
05-17-2019, 06:34 PM
I have the Scorpion EXO-CT2200 it is very nice with the shield down / but not with sun glasses
stevenolts

I dont know the model of mine. IF I remember I'll check it and post back...

VStarRider
05-17-2019, 08:17 PM
What is the safest 3/4 helmet that you can use sunglasses with?
I love the feeling of my face in the wind with the 1/2 helmet / but I don't want to wear the 1/2 helmet not as safe

I have a Schuberth for full modular helmet / I love this when I have to use a full face in rain or extreme cold.

I think I read somewhere that broken jaws are the most common injury in motorcycle crashes ... or was it broken ribs? Don't recall. Anyway, I would think any helmet minus a chin bar is not all that safe.

I have a Schuberth C3 Pro full-face modular as well ... I like my older one so much, I bought another - hi-viz E1. Super comfortable helmets. I wear mine year-round.

tenxxx
05-17-2019, 10:00 PM
Ribs, shoulder blade and elbow damage from my little mishap. My half helmet kept my hair intact.
Was wearing a long sleeve shirt to protect me from the sun. Got road rash right through that.
The rest of your body doesn't have the protection of a helmet. But you can always suit up with safety gear.
You can roll over in bed and do serious damage to your neck and back.
Now I lay me down to sleep.

F6Dave
05-18-2019, 07:57 AM
Some riders focus on the helmet so much that they forget about the rest of their body. I had my first accident a few years ago, and the body armor in my mesh jacket took a lot more impact then the helmet. Not only that, in hot weather it's more comfortable than riding in a t-shirt.

JGF6B
05-18-2019, 08:31 PM
I think I read somewhere that broken jaws are the most common injury in motorcycle crashes ... or was it broken ribs? Don't recall. Anyway, I would think any helmet minus a chin bar is not all that safe.

I have a Schuberth C3 Pro full-face modular as well ... I like my older one so much, I bought another - hi-viz E1. Super comfortable helmets. I wear mine year-round.

I'd be curious to know if there is significant safety advantage between half and 3/4 helmet. I don't believe there is. I believe my full faced Arai is much safer than my half helmet. If I'm going to skimp on safety, I'm keeping me ears and face in the breeze.
I do wear my mesh always. Non-black mesh with shorts and t-shirt is quite comfortable. The mesh allows the breeze but the sun is blocked.

ckwizard
05-20-2019, 06:16 AM
Have the same routine for the last 38 years.
1/2 helmet with wayfarer sunglasses for the summer and short trips.
3/4 helmet with wayfarer sunglasses for cool weather and long trips mainly to keep the wind noise out of my ears.
Full face/modular for winter.
Cheers

stevenolts
05-20-2019, 06:49 AM
I wear the following

extreme cold - 85 (rain or shine no changing gear)
Klim Overland Jacket
Klim Traverse Pants
Firstgear 12V Heated Jacket Liner
Klim Element Long Gloves
Schuberth C3 Helmet

over 80
Klim Induction Jacket
Rukka AirAll Pants
Dainese Drake Super Air Tex Pants
Scorpion EXO-CT220
Bell Pit Boss Helmet

I always try to wear the gear / unless I am just running up the street no highway (not good)
Stevenolts

stevenolts
05-20-2019, 06:53 AM
My problem is for selfish comfort and riding experience I seem to go with my damn 1/2 helmet wish is like no protection at all.
I might as well be wearing shorts t-shirt and flip flops with no helmet. Or jeans wich are the same as shorts or naked acept for preventing mufler burn on your calf.
stevenolts

53driver
05-20-2019, 07:32 AM
I guess the trick is to find gear you are comfortable in.
I've worn a full face since I started riding - Shoei RF 1100, now 1200. Fits my head beautifully and I never think that I don't want to wear it.
If your gear is not comfortable, you won't wear it and if you do, it detracts from your "Disney experience" whilst riding - not cool.
Get properly fitted, buy once, cry once, then enjoy.
Cheers,
Steve

tenxxx
05-21-2019, 07:40 AM
Once I realized how much control I dont have over most things
I stopped obsessing and use what feels comfy.
Life is fun again.

Cali261
05-21-2019, 03:21 PM

I think it's a Broken Heart if you smash up your bike....

VStarRider
05-21-2019, 07:06 PM
I think it's a Broken Heart if you smash up your bike....

Not me, if I am unhurt / alive. Big insurance check = new Wing!!