PDA

View Full Version : Discount Tire

valkmc
05-12-2019, 09:42 AM
Just ordered a Perilli snow control RF from Discount Tire. $96. When checking out they offered to ship it to their store a couple of miles from my house. They also offered to mount it everything included for $124. They made an appointment for him(tire is for brothers 6) this Thursday at 4:30pm. Let's see what happens when he shows up with a MC rim! Did not talk to a real person all done on line.

olegoat345
05-12-2019, 11:52 AM
Been doing business w/ Discount Tire for many years, great company to deal with. I've always called & talked to a rep. I once ask the rep. about buying MC tires. "We won't touch them." he said, "too many liability issues." It'll be interesting to see what happens when he gets to the store.

tenxxx
05-13-2019, 07:53 AM
I went to my local tire store and told them what I was doing before hand. They were happy to do my work and wanted me to come by and show them the bike after I had the tire on it. Made quick friends with the owner who is a rider and was wondering about the dark side as one of his friends does it..
But he said he had to wright it up as a non standard tire change. So their covered.

olegoat345
05-13-2019, 11:00 AM
"non standard tire change" makes sense. I'd bet, someplace in your fine print there's a disclaimer about a "non standard tire change."

bob109
05-13-2019, 01:18 PM
I went to my local tire store and told them what I was doing before hand. They were happy to do my work and wanted me to come by and show them the bike after I had the tire on it. Made quick friends with the owner who is a rider and was wondering about the dark side as one of his friends does it..
But he said he had to wright it up as a non standard tire change. So their covered.

You have a DOT Approved Tire on a DOT Approved Rim....enough said!

tenxxx
05-13-2019, 06:53 PM
Some people are slow to change.

53driver
05-13-2019, 07:57 PM
Some people are slow to change.

Call me "Brontosaurus"!

olegoat345
05-14-2019, 09:06 AM
Car tires aren't made for MC's & MC tires are not made for cars. To me, it's a apples & oranges deal.
After following a buddy on a CT, the "dark side " is not for me...... I fail to see the "up side" of the "dark side." A little extra tire mileage, not worth the risk.

Pumper
05-15-2019, 12:34 PM
Car tires aren't made for MC's & MC tires are not made for cars. To me, it's a apples & oranges deal.
After following a buddy on a CT, the "dark side " is not for me...... I fail to see the "up side" of the "dark side." A little extra tire mileage, not worth the risk.

Amen brother two completely different designs and dynamics...not the same

VaBob
05-15-2019, 02:47 PM
I mean, they're both hoops of rubber that hold air. Unless your fancy, then its hoops of rubber that hold nitrogen. :poke::stirthepot:

53driver
05-15-2019, 06:56 PM
I mean, they're both hoops of rubber that hold air. Unless your fancy, then its hoops of rubber that hold nitrogen. :poke::stirthepot:

Let me know the next time you wear Craftsman Work Boots instead of dress shoes with your tuxedo, I mean, they're both soles with leather that hold feet. Unless yo fancy, then its soles of leather and "man made uppers." Lololololololol....

BigT01
05-16-2019, 07:24 AM
It's amazing after all these years riders are still bagging out others for going darkside, get over it. You will never know or understand until you go darkside & do it for yourself. I have and I like it !
This is not meant to stir up a hornets nest, just erks me off.

Tony

53driver
05-16-2019, 08:58 AM
It's amazing after all these years riders are still bagging out others for going darkside, get over it. You will never know or understand until you go darkside & do it for yourself. I have and I like it !

Tony

Tony,
Not "bagging out" on anyone.
Everyone has to - and gets to - ride their own ride.

MANY forumites ask me, at least once a year, why I haven't done it and I'm just making sure they know my position has not changed - FOR ME.
Y'all do what you want!
As will I.
Cheers mate

Pumper
05-16-2019, 09:11 AM
Designed for different applications...

olegoat345
05-16-2019, 09:14 AM
It doesn't "erk me off" if someone what's to use a CT tire instead of a MC tire. I think it's unsafe & I see no up side to it.....If I know they're running a CT & I'm riding w/ them, I want to be in front of them...…
Same w/ riders that don't were a helmet, it's your life, your family, you're a adult, do with it as you please...... I've lost 3 friends that were in slow crashes, none wore a helmet. All within 20 miles of home.

tenxxx
05-16-2019, 07:38 PM

Tony

I went to the dark Side yesterday. Layed the bike down on some folded up carpet. Easy to do. Had to jack it up a bit under the center stand to get the tire off the ground. It was a 30 minuet job taking a brake. (bad back). Had to give it some ass to get it back up but not a problem.
Took it for a 25 mile ride. Didn't notice very much difference at all. Cornered nice and felt good.
Will stay that way till something else convinces me otherwise.

bob109
05-16-2019, 08:08 PM
Going to the Dark Side is not like getting a Tattoo! It's reversible! You try the Dark Side and see if it fits your needs/riding style! If it doesn't you remove the CT and return to a MT! No harm done! The drama created by naysayers is and will be never-ending! No one is jumping off a bridge. Pass the Pop Corn:rolleyes:

olegoat345
05-16-2019, 10:19 PM
Heck, put a CT on the front too.

53driver
05-16-2019, 10:29 PM

The BT-45 is a popular choice for a CT on the front.
Drive Jehu took that configuration to the Arctic Circle & back.

bob109
05-17-2019, 03:29 AM
The BT-45 is actually a REAR MT mounted and run on the front. Some folks have this tire mounted with the side wall Directional Arrow in the opposite direction of normal! I have my BT-45's mounted with the Arrow in the normal position. Having well over 45K miles on BT-45's, I'm currently on my third tire and will continue using this setup on my 6. When mounted the 45 is actually 1/4" narrower than the OEM Tire and is a great "corner carver" when compared to the OEM.

53driver
05-17-2019, 07:26 AM
The BT-45 is actually a REAR MT mounted and run on the front. Some folks have this tire mounted with the side wall Directional Arrow in the opposite direction of normal! I have my BT-45's mounted with the Arrow in the normal position. Having well over 45K miles on BT-45's, I'm currently on my third tire and will continue using this setup on my 6. When mounted the 45 is actually 1/4" narrower than the OEM Tire and is a great "corner carver" when compared to the OEM.

Thanks Bob! I had thought (assumed!) it was a CT after reading some posts.
Cheers,
Steve

tenxxx
05-17-2019, 07:49 AM
I'll try ALMOST anything once:cool:

valkmc
05-23-2019, 06:43 AM
Discount Tire in Ocala refused to mount the tire that was purchased from them on line (see original post). The seemed not to care about it being a care tire going on a MC rim. The said they do not mount anything on MC rims.

bob109
05-23-2019, 10:02 AM
Discount Tire in Ocala refused to mount the tire that was purchased from them on line (see original post). The seemed not to care about it being a care tire going on a MC rim. The said they do not mount anything on MC rims.

Mom & Pop Tire Shops are your best source for Dark Side mounting! Try several and you'll have success! When you do find the right shop don't forget a good cash tip. They'll be glad for your business and generosity!

bob109

wildman
08-22-2020, 08:53 AM
I have not seen any data that a car tire on a mc is any more dangerous than a mc tire. I wish somebody could show me evidence of an accident that can be attributed to a car tire. Not could have or might have been the cause, but real hard evidence.

maxrider
07-03-2021, 08:22 PM
So after 3 blowouts with MC tires in the rear, and not sustaining injuries, but having to deal with all related BS to get it fixed and or towed, I saw the light :).

No, I have been considering it for a while and been looking for the legal ramifications if any.

Been not able to locate any proof that a DOT-approved tire on a DOT rim is in violation of any kind, and supporting evidence from trikes and current non trike owners who go Darkside seems to bolster that theory.

Neither did I find any evidence of Insurance claims not being processed for Darkside in use and involved in accidents and made to be the culprit.

So for a more hassle-free solution, I selected an RF Pirelli, and because Pirelli uses a bit softer contact rubber(lower treadwear factor) but potentially better road contact, I know from previous sport car experiences.

So American Tires agreed on mounting Cinturato P7 RF for $25, and $29 road hazard policy, tx and Mil discount=$191 out the door.

Just wondering about the ideal tire pressure, any current owners who want to enlighten me, I carry moderate luggage (read as riding with a passenger, although I never have one) and like to go fast 80 + on average.

willtill
07-03-2021, 08:46 PM
So after 3 blowouts with MC tires in the rear, and not sustaining injuries, but having to deal with all related BS to get it fixed and or towed, I saw the light :).

No, I have been considering it for a while and been looking for the legal ramifications if any.

Been not able to locate any proof that a DOT-approved tire on a DOT rim is in violation of any kind, and supporting evidence from trikes and current non trike owners who go Darkside seems to bolster that theory.

Neither did I find any evidence of Insurance claims not being processed for Darkside in use and involved in accidents and made to be the culprit.

So for a more hassle-free solution, I selected an RF Pirelli, and because Pirelli uses a bit softer contact rubber(lower treadwear factor) but potentially better road contact, I know from previous sport car experiences.

So American Tires agreed on mounting Cinturato P7 RF for $25, and $29 road hazard policy, tx and Mil discount=$191 out the door.

Just wondering about the ideal tire pressure, any current owners who want to enlighten me, I carry moderate luggage (read as riding with a passenger, although I never have one) and like to go fast 80 + on average.

Welcome to the Darkside. "darth/vader2'

Air up your run flat to 28 psi and try that. I run 28 psi in my Pirelli run flat and it is marvelous.

valkmc
07-04-2021, 04:13 AM
I'm at 30 psi on my run RF. It just feels right to me. Experiment and you will find what feels good to you. Welcome to the Darkside!!!

maxrider
07-04-2021, 09:52 AM
Thanks for the welcome, and info, appreciated it.

maxrider
07-05-2021, 03:25 PM
For the sake of clarity on who does what, I stated in my other post that it was American Tires, this is inaccurate, it is American Tire Depot, they currently are located in CA only so the manager told me.

America"s tire won't touch it, only if they could physically do the wrenching (installing wheel to the bike)don't care if it is Trike, MC. or Canam, ATV, etc, no loose wheel with mounting a tire if non-car.

That leaves Walmart as a good potential shop for me to go to in the future since they will mount it, and have their road hazard policy in effect throughout the USA.
Kinda thought of them too late, I could have ordered that Pirelli and have them do it, maybe this helps somebody else out reading this.

Whereas I'm now limited to CA for immediate service on my roadside hazard policy, should that event occur.

Just rode it around with new Pirelli, loving it.

Found this and make you all aware of this maybe not-so-published fact, a free 1 yr warranty or 2/32 of use from Perelli.

"If a Run Flat tire becomes unserviceable due to workmanship or material irregularities or road hazard injury during the initial warranty period, the tire will be replaced to the owner at no charge. The initial warranty period lasts one year from the date of original retail purchase (purchase receipt required) or within the first 2/32" of original tread, whichever occurs first. After the initial warranty period, if a Run Flat tire becomes unserviceable due to workmanship and material irregularities or road hazard injury, the owner must pay the cost for a comparable new Pirelli brand or PTNA private brand replacement tire on a pro-rated basis.

Here is a link with all info:https://www.torquenews.com/1083/free-run-flat-tire-road-hazard-warranty-your-tire-shop-forgot-tell-you-about

maxrider
07-10-2021, 09:18 AM
FYI. Just some info I discovered today in reference Walmart road hazard policy, I thought it was a good idea to go with the national chain in the future, however, the policy limit stated below has me thinking to stick with the more liberal policy limits I have now, $26 per tire vs $10 at Walmart but no mileage/wear restriction vs within 25%.

Road Hazard Warranty
The Road Hazard Warranty is just $10.00 per tire and covers:

Unforeseen road hazards
Flat repairs
Free replacement of non-repairable tires within the first 25% of tread wear

My current one:

American Tire Depot will replace a tire that becomes unserviceable due to cuts, Non-repairable punctures or impact damage. American Tire Depot will repair tires with tread-face injuries if it could be safely repaired.
This certificate covers failures in tires purchased from American Tire Depot.
This warranty is valid for 36 months from the date of purchase or when the tire reaches 3/32 of an inch, whichever occurs first. A tire is considered worn out when it has 3/32 of an inch or less tread depth.
The purchaser will be charged additional fees to purchase Road Hazard Warranty on replaced tires.
Mounting and balancing charges may apply.

Would be curious to know if there are better/or equal national available road hazard policies out there?

This one limits me to CA only, since they are not available elsewhere in the USA.

tenxxx
07-11-2021, 09:25 AM
All the warranty info is fine and dandy. But not a word on what the tire is mounted on. They assume its going on a car rim.
I wouldn't trust them to back it up if its mounted on a MC rim.
Only the policy makers would know. And they can change the rules on the fly since there's no mention of this subject in the warranty.
Ok, enough negative thoughts.

maxrider
07-11-2021, 10:44 AM
No, you might have a valid point if it was stipulated, but when you use "assume" and "trust" and "only they would know" and "change on the fly" now you have a lot of ingredients you add to the conversation, just saying :).