PDA

View Full Version : The Ultimate seat...finally

Darkknight
11-29-2013, 09:37 AM
I've been away from the forum for a few days.
I just noticed that the Ultimate seat company now has seats ready for our F6Bs. Has anyone purchased one yet?

Gonzo
11-29-2013, 11:53 AM
I am just like most of you on looking whats out there on seats for the F6B modal. You might also take a look at Rick Mayer seats there is a picture of one done there for our model. These are the Mayer brothers that make Russell all day long, BMS , and Rick Mayer just some more choices. I have had e-mail conversation with Des from Ultimate seems like a nice guy. I think also the seat looks very comfortable,but kind of on the plain side as far as looks. But that there back rest look like wind sails.Des said that they are coming out with another back rest looking like OEM.I think I'm going to wait a while to let them work on the bugs on all there new seats before making a decision. Best of luck on yours.

MichaelG
11-29-2013, 04:39 PM
I am just like most of you on looking whats out there on seats for the F6B modal. You might also take a look at Rick Mayer seats there is a picture of one done there for our model. These are the Mayer brothers that make Russell all day long, BMS , and Rick Mayer just some more choices.

Gonzo, that seat you see on the Rick mayer Cycle website for our F6B bikes, was originally done for my bike, as I got the first one done by Rick. I have since sold that seat to another rider, and had my 11th Russell Day-Long seat made.

The "Mayer brothers" do NOT make the Russell Day-Long seat. Legally...they cannot make it.

Their father, Bill Mayer, was the person that invented and patented the Suspension sytem used in what is now called the Russell Day-Long seats. (RDL)
Bill Mayer sold the business and patents to Don & Donna Russell. They are the ones that brought the seat out of obscurity, and shined the light on it.
To make a very long story short....after many years of ownership, then Don Russell died...so Donna Russell sold the business to Terry Bradford, the current owner, and it is now in Lake Shasta City, CA, about 7 miles north of Redding.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch, the sons of Bill Mayer decided to get into the seat business, but not together. Rick Mayer Cycles is located in Anderson, CA., about 10 miles south of Redding, and Rocky Mayer has his seat business in Ojai, CA., and I believe it is called BMS. The seats that the two brothers make...individually...are NOT Russell Day-Long seats.

This being my 11th RDL, it is the best yet.

Gonzo
11-29-2013, 07:43 PM
I appreciate the corrections on it thank you do you have any pictures of the seat on your bike would like to see what to looks like on our model. Thanks again..

Gonzo, that seat you see on the Rick mayer Cycle website for our F6B bikes, was originally done for my bike, as I got the first one done by Rick. I have since sold that seat to another rider, and had my 11th Russell Day-Long seat made.

The "Mayer brothers" do NOT make the Russell Day-Long seat. Legally...they cannot make it.

Their father, Bill Mayer, was the person that invented and patented the Suspension sytem used in what is now called the Russell Day-Long seats. (RDL)
Bill Mayer sold the business and patents to Don & Donna Russell. They are the ones that brought the seat out of obscurity, and shined the light on it.
To make a very long story short....after many years of ownership, then Don Russell died...so Donna Russell sold the business to Terry Bradford, the current owner, and it is now in Lake Shasta City, CA, about 7 miles north of Redding.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch, the sons of Bill Mayer decided to get into the seat business, but not together. Rick Mayer Cycles is located in Anderson, CA., about 10 miles south of Redding, and Rocky Mayer has his seat business in Ojai, CA., and I believe it is called BMS. The seats that the two brothers make...individually...are NOT Russell Day-Long seats.

This being my 11th RDL, it is the best yet.

MichaelG
11-29-2013, 08:17 PM
I appreciate the corrections on it thank you do you have any pictures of the seat on your bike would like to see what to looks like on our model. Thanks again..

Gonzo, they are already posted on this forum, a couple of times. A search for Russell day-Long seats would produce it...I would post them again right here...but the site is having technical difficulties, and it will not allow me to post any pictures that I already have in the data base.

Gonzo
11-29-2013, 10:17 PM
Thank you a I will look... I appreciate it..

Gonzo, they are already posted on this forum, a couple of times. A search for Russell day-Long seats would produce it...I would post them again right here...but the site is having technical difficulties, and it will not allow me to post any pictures that I already have in the data base.

Mustangjake
11-29-2013, 11:19 PM
A link

http://www.ultimateseats.ca/goldwingF6B.html

Steve 0080
11-30-2013, 01:09 AM
I have plans to ride over to Daytona either Wed or Thur to check out the seat!!! I will post something after I check out the seats...

GiddyupF6B
11-30-2013, 06:25 AM
The "King" seat looks like a great option for me! 1.5 inches further back from the bars and less bend at the knees is exactly what I need. I was going to get the Mustang seat in January however after reading that the "new design" does not allow you to remove the side covers without removing the seat ruled that option out for me.

Darkknight
11-30-2013, 07:51 AM
Yes I wanted to know about Ultimate seats. I've been waiting since summer for them to build one having had an Ultimate on my last bike that was wonderful.

Here's why I won't be getting a Russel Day Long.
1) I live in Ct. From here, RDL is a very long ride for mere mortals that aren't retired and have sweet hearts with limited vacation time (been divorced 2x, I'm taking this one with me). I'm using our vacation time for Franklin this year.
2) RDL uses our stock seat pan so I'd have to ship my pan or whole seat to them. It cost $179 to ship a Corbin just down to NC. from here, I can only imagine shipping out west.
3) So I can strip the seat and just send the pan... Now there is no turning back. I have no stock seat to go back to if I need/want to sell the RDL.
4) It's not just about me. My passenger is a major part of what I enjoy about riding this bike. She'll snuggle up to me for hours on this bike, Never touches the backrest, and is very comfortable on the stock seat. I can't do anything that will change that.
So why even get another seat? I want a backrest for when she isn't riding with me, which isn't often. So it needs to be quickly removable.

Here's the rub...(excuse the pun), With sweetie snuggling so close, she will be sitting close to on top of the area where a removable backrest would go. the Corbin was very stiff and sitting on the backrest area was like swinging your leg over a saw horse and bouncing on that for an hour. When we stopped, you can imagine what area was off limits. That seat was gone after the first 200 miles.

The Mustang looks great but again, that contour looks like trouble for sweetie. BUT, Mustang IS out of MA. So I could ride up there to check it out.
So the bottom line is I was hoping that someone already got the Ultimate and could tell me if the area around the backrest mount was as well padded as the rest of the seat.

1951vbs
11-30-2013, 10:23 AM
Yes I wanted to know about Ultimate seats. I've been waiting since summer for them to build one having had an Ultimate on my last bike that was wonderful.

Here's why I won't be getting a Russel Day Long.
1) I live in Ct. From here, RDL is a very long ride for mere mortals that aren't retired and have sweet hearts with limited vacation time (been divorced 2x, I'm taking this one with me). I'm using our vacation time for Franklin this year.
2) RDL uses our stock seat pan so I'd have to ship my pan or whole seat to them. It cost $179 to ship a Corbin just down to NC. from here, I can only imagine shipping out west.
3) So I can strip the seat and just send the pan... Now there is no turning back. I have no stock seat to go back to if I need/want to sell the RDL.
4) It's not just about me. My passenger is a major part of what I enjoy about riding this bike. She'll snuggle up to me for hours on this bike, Never touches the backrest, and is very comfortable on the stock seat. I can't do anything that will change that.
So why even get another seat? I want a backrest for when she isn't riding with me, which isn't often. So it needs to be quickly removable.

Not meant to be argumentative, but in response to 1-4: You could buy an extra seat used on the forum for $200 and have the member send it direct to Russell to save freight costs. (the stock seat weighs about half what the Corbin weighs) Then sell your old seat for $200 when you get the Russell. Russell built my seat and left the passenger section "as is" so no difference for your sweetie. Cost to do just the solo section is $550 or so which is less than Ultimate. I have nothing against Ultimate or invested in Russell but wanted to address your issues with the Russell process. :icon_biggrin:

Darkknight
11-30-2013, 02:39 PM
Not meant to be argumentative, but in response to 1-4: You could buy an extra seat used on the forum for $200 and have the member send it direct to Russell to save freight costs. (the stock seat weighs about half what the Corbin weighs) Then sell your old seat for $200 when you get the Russell. Russell built my seat and left the passenger section "as is" so no difference for your sweetie. Cost to do just the solo section is $550 or so which is less than Ultimate. I have nothing against Ultimate or invested in Russell but wanted to address your issues with the Russell process. :icon_biggrin:

I guess my last question would be the original reason for the seat was the removable rider backrest. Does your seat have a rider backrest? This indeed may be an alternative. Thanks 1951vbs.

1951vbs
11-30-2013, 08:58 PM
I guess my last question would be the original reason for the seat was the removable rider backrest. Does your seat have a rider backrest? This indeed may be an alternative. Thanks 1951vbs.

My seat does not, but only because I do not like that option (Russell offers it). Miles had the first Russell seat built for a F6B and he and a few others on this forum have a drivers backrest. I think the brand is Utopia but best to search old posts. I did not mean to add to the thread jack but the titles on this forum seem to get things back on track pretty well.

As an example of the power of the classified section on this forum: I bought my extra seat from FsixB in AZ (he bought a Corbin) and he sent it to Russell for me, then when I got my Russell I sold my original seat to Tbone in SC and he modified it himself and sent his old pan to another member and from there I lost track. But it works and it is a win-win.

MichaelG
11-30-2013, 10:19 PM
My seat does not, but only because I do not like that option (Russell offers it). Miles had the first Russell seat built for a F6B and he and a few others on this forum have a drivers backrest. I think the brand is Utopia but best to search old posts. I did not mean to add to the thread jack but the titles on this forum seem to get things back on track pretty well.

As an example of the power of the classified section on this forum: I bought my extra seat from FsixB in AZ (he bought a Corbin) and he sent it to Russell for me, then when I got my Russell I sold my original seat to Tbone in SC and he modified it himself and sent his old pan to another member and from there I lost track. But it works and it is a win-win.

To assist in getting this thread back on track, and back to where you originally asked the question....I believe that Utopia backrests are the only one that offers a quick disconnect for the RIDER's backrest, in case you want to remove it.

The Utopia backrest is the absolute best in the business, and that is the one that the vast majority of other seat makers copy, when they make a backrest.

A Utopia backrest will work with a Ultimate seat.

Scotrod
11-30-2013, 10:22 PM
So the bottom line is I was hoping that someone already got the Ultimate and could tell me if the area around the backrest mount was as well padded as the rest of the seat.

I don't have the F6B Ultimate, but,,, if it's anything similar to prior Ultimate seats that I have owned, the back rest mounts very similar to a Mustang,,, Near vertical tongue on the backrest slides down into a receiver,,, Prior Mustang and Ultimate seats that I have owned had the receiver low enough that contact wasn't a problem, unless perhaps someone is REALLY out of position. :shrug:

The last RDL backrest I had used a horizontal tongue that slid into a receiver. My current RDL has no backrest. No real plans to add one.

Darkknight
12-04-2013, 06:39 AM
OK, I'll jump.
I ordered my Ultimate seat Midrider with rider backrest Monday night. It should be 2-3 weeks until I recieve it. Hopefully, it won't be the same 2 weeks that was actually 3 months to create the seat.

Before I ordered it I told Des to tell me the "long" side of the delivery date. If you tell me 1 month and it shows up in 3 weeks, your a hero. If it shows up in 5 weeks your a "goat". He said 3 weeks. The reciept said 2-3 weeks. It would be nice to have it by Christmas. Oh... that's not politically correct any more. That would be the winter holiday. Wait, have they outlawed holiday yet? It used to be much simpler when I was younger.

Steve 0080
12-05-2013, 01:02 AM
I am going over on Thurs, the 5th....anybody want to meet and look at the seat and go to lunch... what time??? I'll be there?

Darkknight
12-05-2013, 06:10 AM
Steve, when you go to Ultimate, checkout the passenger back rest riser. In the picture, the riser it looks a lot like the one I purchased here on the forum. Hmmmm. Maybe someone's great idea was copied?

Steve 0080
12-05-2013, 03:01 PM
Here you go ....

Steve 0080
12-05-2013, 03:04 PM
more ....

Steve 0080
12-05-2013, 04:32 PM
Lets see...if you have ever owned an Ultimate, there is nothing else to say..... First class, all the way!!! Very,Very comfortable, Driver back rest is Perfect....fit and finish...Perfect!!!! Can be delivered in about 3 weeks... The regular seat will fit most normal folks.... the King will sit you back 1 1/2 inch for the longer armed or legged few..... same height and width, Pillion does have way more comfort and padding than stock...many ways to get the seat,,,,with or W/O back rests and two colors, Red and Black, for the Carbon Fiber stripe around the seat...the one above is black.... No issues with taking off the side panels with the seat on ... The price is the price and if your behind is not suited to the stock seat this one will do nicely !!!

FlaMike
12-05-2013, 05:44 PM
:Saweeet smilie: I LIKE IT. I think the side stripe looks good. Guess I gotta see Des @ BikeWeek.

And I was only gonna do a FEW things to this bike. Damn this bike starting to cost!

chipmaker
12-06-2013, 01:33 AM
Would like to see what the red CF stripe looks like...

Darkknight
12-06-2013, 05:41 AM
Yep, That will work. I like the sharper vertical back of the rider's seat. That should help support me when sweetie is on board. I'll be using the stock passenger backrest with the riser purchased here. Now if it is as comfortable as my last Ultimate, I'll be all set.

Thanks for the pictures Steve. Although now I'm even more impatient. Still no snow in CT, so it will be a race to see what arrives here first, the snow or the seat!

GiddyupF6B
12-06-2013, 07:31 AM
I will be ordering this seat right after the holidays. I was sold on the Mustang until they redid it and made it so you had to remove the seat to take the side covers off ...that was the deal breaker. The "King" version is for me, and inch and a half further back is what I need at 6'3. After riding with the seat for a while then I can decide which risers if any I need. Right now I am a little cramped in the saddle, bars too close, pegs too high and back....hopefully this seat will be the start of me getting my F6 better suited for my big ass self.

Scotrod
12-06-2013, 09:14 AM
[QUOTE=Steve 0080;16636]Lets see...if you have ever owned an Ultimate, there is nothing else to say..... QUOTE]

Ah, if we could only all agree on one type of seat! =)

FWIW, the wife and I both "been there, done that" and have found equally priced custom-made seats 'more to our liking'

BUT, I'm all for more chioices!!! Bring 'em on!!!! :yes:

Gonzo
12-07-2013, 12:34 PM
Steve in these pictures of the new Ultimate seat is this the original back rest behind the seat.

Here you go ....

Bob's 1800
12-08-2013, 10:14 AM
Steve,
Did they mention if the King was available yet? That's definitely the one for me. Had an Ultimate on my Rune and Victory Hardball which I loved.
Be a good reason to ride to Daytona in March...Bob

Steve 0080
12-08-2013, 10:45 AM
Yes the passenger backrest is behind the seat...YOU could use the Ultimate seat with or with out the backrest. Ultimate also sells a backrest, or a backrest riser that goes with the stock pad , or a pad and riser by Ultimate.

The side panels can be removed w/ the seat on.

Yes the King is available, although Des did not have one there to take pic's of...

Yes, the Red stripe/carbon will look hot !!!

Ultimate Seats
12-13-2013, 02:53 PM
Thanks for stopping by Steve. I noticed that some of the photos you posted were the prototype parts (i.e. the seat pan). We should also have the red carbon fiber in early next week and should be able to get pictures of shortly there after. Thanks to everybody who is supporting us with this great seat for a great bike.

~ Ride safe-

GiddyupF6B
12-13-2013, 06:37 PM
Thanks for stopping by Steve. I noticed that some of the photos you posted were the prototype parts (i.e. the seat pan). We should also have the red carbon fiber in early next week and should be able to get pictures of shortly there after. Thanks to everybody who is supporting us with this great seat for a great bike.

~ Ride safe-

Please also post pics of the "King" seat....us big guys need pics too! :icon_mrgreen:

Any thoughts on giving the members of this board a chance at a group buy or a discount of some sort??

GONRDN
12-13-2013, 09:13 PM
Always loved Ultimate Seats and will be ordering mine within the week. One question on installation: I read their website and it seems that you don't use the 2 rear bolts to hold the seat down. Is it correct that you only use the rail bolts (4) to hold entire seat down? Seems like the seat is pretty big length wise to only be held down with the 4 bolts on rail.

Ultimate Seats
12-14-2013, 09:22 AM
Always loved Ultimate Seats and will be ordering mine within the week. One question on installation: I read their website and it seems that you don't use the 2 rear bolts to hold the seat down. Is it correct that you only use the rail bolts (4) to hold entire seat down? Seems like the seat is pretty big length wise to only be held down with the 4 bolts on rail.

Gonrdn,
There's no need to worry about the two back bolts that were used on the bracket on the stock seat pan. With our foam reinforced fiberglass pan, there is more than enough strength and rigidity with the four rail bolts. We've been manufacturing GL 1500, and GL1800 seats (similar dimensions to the F6B) for quite some time, and only use those four bolts. The reason the OEM seat pan needs the 6mm bolts is because the pan is thin, and therefore lacks in strength and support.

Ride safe~

GONRDN
12-14-2013, 12:40 PM
Gonrdn,
There's no need to worry about the two back bolts that were used on the bracket on the stock seat pan. With our foam reinforced fiberglass pan, there is more than enough strength and rigidity with the four rail bolts. We've been manufacturing GL 1500, and GL1800 seats (similar dimensions to the F6B) for quite some time, and only use those four bolts. The reason the OEM seat pan needs the 6mm bolts is because the pan is thin, and therefore lacks in strength and support.

Ride safe~

Thanks for the quick response. I will definitely be buying this seat. I love it and always thought the comfort of Ultimate was second to none. Thanks again.

GiddyupF6B
12-14-2013, 06:29 PM
Hey Ultimate seats...did my question just get skipped? I see you replied to a post AFTER mine??

Darkknight
12-16-2013, 09:06 AM
Yeah, it's snowing here in Ct but the Ultimate seat is ordered and as soon as it arrives I'll install it and post pictures. It should be 1-2 more weeks I imagine.
It would be nice to see UPSanta drop it under my tree before Christmas. I've been good this year.

I want a picture of my dash at 65 mph and 15 degrees F as I test my new Ultimate seat. Hoping the snow goes and the roads clear a bit. A little rain after Christmas to wash the roads and we should be ready to ride!

Steve 0080
12-16-2013, 09:38 AM
Hey Giddyup.... not to steal their thunder but you can not see a difference.... the seat is 1 1/2 in deeper/farther back where the vertical part is at the drivers bum....

GiddyupF6B
12-16-2013, 10:10 AM
Hey Giddyup.... not to steal their thunder but you can not see a difference.... the seat is 1 1/2 in deeper/farther back where the vertical part is at the drivers bum....

Yeah I figured that but it can still change the overall profile and how it looks on the bike. I had a "full cut" saddle on my M109 and it looked much different than the "standard" cut version by the same company. I'm 99% certain I'm getting the King with red carbon but I can't pull the trigger until I see what it looks like installed. I am also hoping they will answer my questions about a board discount or a group buy.

Ultimate Seats
12-16-2013, 11:11 AM
Hey Ultimate seats...did my question just get skipped? I see you replied to a post AFTER mine??

Free Freight in the continental US to F6B Riders forum member for all orders placed until January 15th, 2014. MUST CALL TO ORDER - 877-672-0288. $55 value.

Ultimate Seats
12-16-2013, 11:17 AM
Yeah, it's snowing here in Ct but the Ultimate seat is ordered and as soon as it arrives I'll install it and post pictures. It should be 1-2 more weeks I imagine.
It would be nice to see UPSanta drop it under my tree before Christmas. I've been good this year.

I want a picture of my dash at 65 mph and 15 degrees F as I test my new Ultimate seat. Hoping the snow goes and the roads clear a bit. A little rain after Christmas to wash the roads and we should be ready to ride!

Darkknight~

Looks like there is an F6B seat leaving Florida and heading north to CT today. We'll try and pack up some of our mid 70's sunshine in the box with your seat.

Ride safe-

fl1madmax
12-17-2013, 02:01 PM
Darkknight~

Looks like there is an F6B seat leaving Florida and heading north to CT today. We'll try and pack up some of our mid 70's sunshine in the box with your seat.

Ride safe-

Well I just talked to Des, only a Red Striped seat available, no more seats till second week of Jan, I only live 100 Miles south, But I WANT A SEAT,
after owning 4 seats, ya know there the best, My Butt tells me so after 600 mile days and short trips around town ! I'll WAIT !!!!!
I put my Vance and Hines on , sounds great with Baffels in, took them out and that DRONE noise was back, so happy with them in, there about 5 inches longer than Gold Wing Pipes, would of liked 2-3 more inches in lengh, but wouldn't we all !!!!!!!!!!!! Merry Christmas to all !!!!!! from Sunny Florida, 58 today, Dam had to put on a Jacket !

Scotrod
12-17-2013, 06:23 PM
I put my Vance and Hines on , sounds great with Baffels in,

Off Topic,,,,, but, sound clip please!!!!

(There's only 1 'independent' sound clip I can find online, and he's jamming the pizz outta his Wing during a funeral escort. :icon_frown:

Curious what 'normal human' riding sounds like.)

fl1madmax
12-17-2013, 07:31 PM
Off Topic,,,,, but, sound clip please!!!!

(There's only 1 'independent' sound clip I can find online, and he's jamming the pizz outta his Wing during a funeral escort. :icon_frown:

Curious what 'normal human' riding sounds like.)

will try to get sound clip !16891690

Darkknight
12-18-2013, 09:12 AM
Darkknight~

Ride safe-

We just got another 6" of snow. I've shoveled a path for UPSanta and I'll be waiting by my door Thursday.
It's supposed to be near 50 degrees Sunday and hopefully some rain. I would love to take a short ride on Christmas!

Did I Read about free shipping for forum members? It's probably too late for that huh?

GONRDN
12-18-2013, 10:34 AM
Mine is scheduled for delivery Friday. Pretty happy here. Thanks Ultimate!!

Ultimate Seats
12-19-2013, 11:35 AM
Would like to see what the red CF stripe looks like...

Here you go, guys.

Ride safe-

GONRDN
12-19-2013, 11:46 AM
I have to say, if you got a red f6b, this is nice. Great job guys!

Ultimate Seats
12-19-2013, 11:52 AM
I have to say, if you got a red f6b, this is nice. Great job guys!

Thanks, GONRDN-

The picture doesn't even do it justice. It's really great in real life.