PDA

View Full Version : Question on Turn Signal Relay

MRB68
05-30-2019, 09:19 AM
I changed out my front turn signals to switchback LED's and replaced the turn signal relay to the one from E.C. After that change I lost my self canceling turn signals that the deluxe came with. I'm guessing the relay but want to ask before I try to find another. I did check my fuse panel too just in case, all that's good. Thanks for any help in advance.

98valk
05-30-2019, 02:05 PM
Looking at the schematics, I don't see how the turn signal relay could do this. But, it still seems to be the most likely cause??

The cancel circuit is at least partially working if you can push the turn signal button and cancel the turn signals. So it is not completely hosed. The circuit needs the speed pulse signal to work automatically. I don't see how that could have changed?

Because nothing makes sense here, I would swap back the original relay first and see what happens. You changed the relay (flasher) that is in the nose of the fairing, right?

Rather than waiting for a replacement, I modified my original relay to work with LEDs. You have to cut it open, remove the circuit board inside, and cut a trace to the chip (I think pin 7). Then RTV it back together. If the relay turns out to be the problem, and you choose to modify yours, I can help you do that.

Good luck!

MRB68
05-30-2019, 06:20 PM
Looking at the schematics, I don't see how the turn signal relay could do this. But, it still seems to be the most likely cause??

The cancel circuit is at least partially working if you can push the turn signal button and cancel the turn signals. So it is not completely hosed. The circuit needs the speed pulse signal to work automatically. I don't see how that could have changed?

Because nothing makes sense here, I would swap back the original relay first and see what happens. You changed the relay (flasher) that is in the nose of the fairing, right?

Rather than waiting for a replacement, I modified my original relay to work with LEDs. You have to cut it open, remove the circuit board inside, and cut a trace to the chip (I think pin 7). Then RTV it back together. If the relay turns out to be the problem, and you choose to modify yours, I can help you do that.

Good luck!

Thanks, I'll try that this weekend, if the factory one works again then I'll look into your mod. Yes I changed the one in the fairing, sometimes it's a pain to shut off the turn signal, I almost have to push it to the other side and hold it in, wierd.
Thanks for responding.

Joflewbyu2
05-30-2019, 07:23 PM
I changed out my front turn signals to switchback LED's and replaced the turn signal relay to the one from E.C. After that change I lost my self canceling turn signals that the deluxe came with. I'm guessing the relay but want to ask before I try to find another. I did check my fuse panel too just in case, all that's good. Thanks for any help in advance.

i have read of many others with Deluxe models that are having issues too. Others have issues involving the turn indicator on the dash staying lit until you manually turn it off by using the switch. Those issues are the reasons I have not changed mine. Maybe better off not changing the OEM relay and just let them hyper blink.

tenxxx
05-31-2019, 07:17 AM
i have read of many others with Deluxe models that are having issues too. Others have issues involving the turn indicator on the dash staying lit until you manually turn it off by using the switch. Those issues are the reasons I have not changed mine. Maybe better off not changing the OEM relay and just let them hyper blink.
You would think the hyper blink would get more attention?

MRB68
05-31-2019, 09:59 AM
You would think the hyper blink would get more attention?

I wonder if the state inspection can fail you for the hyper blink? I've seen alot of crazy things rejected here in NH.

shortleg0521
05-31-2019, 01:16 PM
Sorry you can't reject some of the politics that come out of that area.

tenxxx
05-31-2019, 02:25 PM
Surly we can keep politics put of our turn signal relays.
Maybe that’s what the problem is.

jm21ddd15
05-31-2019, 09:48 PM
I got the Switchbacks in my 2015 Deluxe, and they have worked perfect ever since I installed them, over 2 years ago. Self cancelling blinkers still work just fine. I also have LED headlights, and all LED in the rear, too. No troubles.

Joflewbyu2
06-02-2019, 01:51 AM
I got the Switchbacks in my 2015 Deluxe, and they have worked perfect ever since I installed them, over 2 years ago. Self cancelling blinkers still work just fine. I also have LED headlights, and all LED in the rear, too. No troubles.

And which relay did you use? Does your turn signal indicator dash lamp function correctly? Dash lamp indicator Completely stops illuminating after the auto signal stops flashing?

jm21ddd15
06-02-2019, 07:38 AM
Yes, my signal indicator dash lamp functions correctly. It's been a couple years since I installed the switchbacks, so memory is not perfect. I just followed the instructions. I do remember there was a relay in my kit, that I had to install.

olegoat345
06-02-2019, 10:22 AM
I'd bet the LED's don't have enough resistance to make your self canceling feature work.
Think long and hard before you ad a inline resister to your circuit, they get so hot they'll burn you & I've heard of them catching on fire. I had one on my 1700 Road Star, I soon took it off because of the heat / possible fire issue.

MRB68
06-03-2019, 12:16 PM
I'd bet the LED's don't have enough resistance to make your self canceling feature work.
Think long and hard before you ad a inline resister to your circuit, they get so hot they'll burn you & I've heard of them catching on fire. I had one on my 1700 Road Star, I soon took it off because of the heat / possible fire issue.

Agreed I put them on my pickup truck and they just barely touched another wire and goodbye to that, I added some wire and screwed them into a frame piece where there's nothing to burn. The box said they get hot, what an understatement.

MRB68
06-03-2019, 12:23 PM

Good luck!

I put the factory relay back in sunday and then of course it started to rain, I'm going to test drive tonight and see what happens, I'll post up tomorrow.
I also checked the thing inside the neck of the bike, sorry forgot the name, my service manual said to check that, not to hard to get to and everything looked healthy. The bike only has 2200 miles on it.

98valk
06-04-2019, 05:51 PM
Okay, let us know ... It will be interesting to see if the flasher/relay can cause this problem.

MRB68
06-07-2019, 06:13 AM
Okay, let us know ... It will be interesting to see if the flasher/relay can cause this problem.

Sorry guys the weather up here sucks, finally got around to riding and putting the factory relay back on. It gave me back the automatic shutoff feature. So cross referencing it to one on Amazon that works with LED's is what I ordered and should arrive today so I can put it on this weekend and see if everything works. Stay tuned.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008C9YJ6C/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

MRB68
06-07-2019, 06:14 AM
forgot to add, no shut off issues, or any kind of lights on the dash. Just have the rapid flashing back.

Broken Hand
06-10-2019, 01:24 AM
I ordered my smoked lenses, LED lights, and relay thru Wingstuff. Installed it, works but sometimes after I cancel my turn signal, the white LEDs won’t come on. At night it’s not a big deal because I notice the loss of light on the side of the road, but daytime, I have no clue. Usually pushing the turn signal cancel button fixes the issue.

The rapid flash may be illegal d/t mimicking an emergency vehicle. Just a guess.

Draxsr
06-10-2019, 05:29 AM
"the white LEDs won’t come on"

If you're referring to some sort of daytime running light function, I have an identical issue. After much hair-pulling, wire tracing, part replacing, it comes down to (in my case) the Honda turn signal switch.

(I'm not an maintainer, just an operator) It appears to have two sets of contacts. One that engages the turn signals and one that operates the DRL functions. The centering function of the switch and the auto signal shutoff don't don't seem to entirely 'recenter' the switch and engage both sets of contacts 100% of the time.

I've found that, after engaging the turn signal, a slight press in the opposite direction on the switch after the turn re engages the DRL functions.

At no time has my turn signal ever failed, hence I get no real help from any Honda maintainer (they've replaced it on warranty once). Afterall, the switch is doing what they feel is normal. I've resigned myself to this little hassle.

I'd love to hear some sort of real solution to this problem.

Broken Hand
06-10-2019, 09:13 AM
I’m

If you're referring to some sort of daytime running light function, I have an identical issue. After much hair-pulling, wire tracing, part replacing, it comes down to (in my case) the Honda turn signal switch.

(I'm not an maintainer, just an operator) It appears to have two sets of contacts. One that engages the turn signals and one that operates the DRL functions. The centering function of the switch and the auto signal shutoff don't don't seem to entirely 'recenter' the switch and engage both sets of contacts 100% of the time.

I've found that, after engaging the turn signal, a slight press in the opposite direction on the switch after the turn re engages the DRL functions.

At no time has my turn signal ever failed, hence I get no real help from any Honda maintainer (they've replaced it on warranty once). Afterall, the switch is doing what they feel is normal. I've resigned myself to this little hassle.

Thanks! Good to know.

98valk
06-10-2019, 12:22 PM

That makes sense - good info!

I think that the lube in the switch is getting thick. Cleaning out the old lube or thinning it out (with what?) would probably do the trick, and allow the switch to auto center.

Draxsr
06-10-2019, 01:31 PM
"Cleaning out the old lube or thinning it out (with what?) would probably do the trick, and allow the switch to auto center."

98Valk - What would you use to do this? I had one maintainer tell me to spray Honda chain lube in the slot into the switch. I didn't like the sound of that, so didn't do it.

98valk
06-10-2019, 04:31 PM
"Cleaning out the old lube or thinning it out (with what?) would probably do the trick, and allow the switch to auto center."

98Valk - What would you use to do this? I had one maintainer tell me to spray Honda chain lube in the slot into the switch. I didn't like the sound of that, so didn't do it.

The left switch assembly probably needs to come apart for a good fix. But on another site, they often suggest using a CRC spray lube that is safe for plastic.

My switch gets pretty sluggish in the winter. Someday, I'll open up that clam shell and try spraying it.

Draxsr
06-10-2019, 09:33 PM
Didn't know what CRC was, sooooo .... Something like this: https://www.homedepot.com/p/CRC-2-26-5-oz-Multi-Purpose-Lubricant-02004/100398344

98valk
06-11-2019, 02:21 PM
Didn't know what CRC was, sooooo .... Something like this: https://www.homedepot.com/p/CRC-2-26-5-oz-Multi-Purpose-Lubricant-02004/100398344

That looks good. Hey, get me some while you're there. :)

Draxsr
06-11-2019, 03:31 PM
I'll drop it by this afternoon!

Broken Hand
06-17-2019, 10:54 AM

I picked this up and tried it out. Time will tell, but initial impressions is that it works great! Thanks for that tip.