PDA

View Full Version : Why we ride

austin_tech
11-30-2013, 02:37 AM
True story. Late Wednesday afternoon, the day before Thanksgiving, we have relatives inbound from various locations across the great state of Texas and expecting a house full for the holiday. Late in the day, the wife and I realized that we were missing a key electrical part to the RV we had rented to house some of our visitors (in our driveway). As I was wrapping up getting the RV set up, wife comes to me and says what is definitely one of the middle-class, middle-aged motorcyclist's fantasies:

"It's 5:00. The only place that has the [part we need] is at [a place 31 miles away, up a beautiful winding hill country road]. I need you to drop everything and go ... NOW."

The garage was open. I looked across the street, where I had parked my trusty truck, then swung around and looked at my beautiful, almost new black F6B. The grin was inevitable, and I thought about you guys on this forum. What vehicle would you choose?

One of the best rides I've had -- the whole time, I was thinking "This is why we ride." And yes, I made it in time.

-->Russ

Paul B Blues
11-30-2013, 07:57 AM
Nice story Russ, and I agree 100% with you :yes: I was talking to a guy at the gym the other day, and he told me that last Christmas Day as his family were all away or working he decided to take a trip out on his BMW. He went from Inverness, to Perth, to Dundee, to Aberdeen and back to Inverness :icon_lol: It's a very long way, but he said he was grinning all the way. I was so jealous :icon_razz:

Paul B........:icon_cool:

Batwing
11-30-2013, 08:25 AM
True story. Late Wednesday afternoon, the day before Thanksgiving, we have relatives inbound from various locations across the great state of Texas and expecting a house full for the holiday. Late in the day, the wife and I realized that we were missing a key electrical part to the RV we had rented to house some of our visitors (in our driveway). As I was wrapping up getting the RV set up, wife comes to me and says what is definitely one of the middle-class, middle-aged motorcyclist's fantasies:

"It's 5:00. The only place that has the [part we need] is at [a place 31 miles away, up a beautiful winding hill country road]. I need you to drop everything and go ... NOW."

The garage was open. I looked across the street, where I had parked my trusty truck, then swung around and looked at my beautiful, almost new black F6B. The grin was inevitable, and I thought about you guys on this forum. What vehicle would you choose?

One of the best rides I've had -- the whole time, I was thinking "This is why we ride." And yes, I made it in time.

-->Russ

Honda should turn this into a commercial! Cool story!

1951vbs
11-30-2013, 10:10 AM

-->Russ

I think you chose wisely, however I am confused as to why you wouldn't always defer to the F6B first and the trusty truck second? I can see driving the truck if the part is too large to strap on the bike but otherwise in Texas Ride first, Drive later!!:icon_biggrin:

Steve 0080
11-30-2013, 10:13 AM
1951vbs.........+1

dickiedeals
11-30-2013, 11:42 AM
I ride the F6B so much that when I got in the truck the other day it wouldn't start. The battery was dead. So I rode the F6B to the store in the cold rain. Later when putting the charger on the truck I realized I couldn't remember the last time I'd cranked the truck. Been riding two wheels most of my life and only use the cage on rare occasions like pulling the motorcycle trailer to Ga. to avoid Hurricanes and such. Isn't this normal?..............Dickie

1951vbs
11-30-2013, 08:39 PM
I ride the F6B so much that when I got in the truck the other day it wouldn't start. The battery was dead. So I rode the F6B to the store in the cold rain. Later when putting the charger on the truck I realized I couldn't remember the last time I'd cranked the truck.

The way it should be!

Been riding two wheels most of my life and only use the cage on rare occasions like pulling the motorcycle trailer to Ga. to avoid Hurricanes and such. Isn't this normal?..............Dickie

It is for me... But remember Dickie, you live in FL and I in SC, many of our northern members do not have as favorable riding conditions. That being said it was 35 degrees F and pouring rain on my way to work two days last week and even if I had a 4 wheeler to drive I wouldn't.

dickiedeals
11-30-2013, 08:47 PM
It is for me... But remember Dickie, you live in FL and I in SC, many of our northern members do not have as favorable riding conditions. That being said it was 35 degrees F and pouring rain on my way to work two days last week and even if I had a 4 wheeler to drive I wouldn't.

That's why us smart people moved to Florida in 1979....................Dickie

1951vbs
11-30-2013, 09:10 PM
That's why us smart people moved to Florida in 1979....................Dickie

It took me 25 years to get out of MN and FL was my target but I only made it as far as the Carolinas. It is a little colder than what I had in mind but after 17 years I am getting used to it and no offense to FL but the topography for riding: Blue Ridge Pkwy, Dragons Tail, Mountains, lakes, waterfalls, rivers, and rolling hills all the way to the beaches and outer banks is hard to beat. Plus our blue hair count and traffic congestion is better. That being said I'm heading to Summerland Key for Christmas break to enjoy your weather!:041:

thunder217
12-02-2013, 10:31 AM
1951VBS so you say the heck with Florida and the beaches the slightly cooler weather and the mountains make up for all of that constant warm weather. I was packing my bags in a few years for Florida, I want to ride all the time. In MD now. Rode today 36 degrees. It felt great. The F6B is all of that and more. :041:

FlaMike
12-02-2013, 11:33 AM
Well I was up in Asheville, NC for T-Day and it was 19 low, maybe 40high.

Now I know WNC has great roads to ride, way better than anything FL has, but I'm still glad I'm in Fla.
Of course, ask me in July/Aug and I'll might forget the "glad I'm in Fla" part.

austin_tech
12-02-2013, 03:51 PM
Grew up in all 'southern' states. Love the mountains, the cool weather and four seasons up north. I live in TX now and I like it, but I want to ride and visit all these states on my bike. Don't sweat the shorter riding seasons up north, it pays off in the other three seasons when we're roasting down here. Plus, don't y'all just winterize the bikes and fire up the snowmobiles when the icy stuff starts coming down?

DJ TONY G
12-03-2013, 12:29 AM
I just saw that movie and it hit home, it will be one of my all time favorite movies.

4DI2D
12-03-2013, 12:57 PM
Grew up in all 'southern' states. Love the mountains, the cool weather and four seasons up north. I live in TX now and I like it, but I want to ride and visit all these states on my bike. Don't sweat the shorter riding seasons up north, it pays off in the other three seasons when we're roasting down here. Plus, don't y'all just winterize the bikes and fire up the snowmobiles when the icy stuff starts coming down?

Some people can ride in snow and others can't.
Safest ride on a city street was in the snow. I guess the sight of a motorcycle in February was more than they could handle.
No cager would get anywhere near me.:yikes:

4DI2D
12-03-2013, 12:59 PM
.P.S.
Winterizing the bike means being sure the battery tender is plugged in between rides!

Darkknight
12-04-2013, 05:50 AM
I will ride until it snows up here in Ct. And when it melts away I'll be out there again.
My goal is to put 100-200 miles on this bike every month during the winter. Weather permitting I would love to say I rode all 12 months, without moving to a warmer climate. That would be just too easy. LOL.
I was out last weekend with temps ranging from 26-38 degrees F. It was nice for a few hours and I have my 100 miles for December. Hopefully I'll get a few more.